Nathan Jones Locked in for 2021

Demonland

3 minutes ago, Dr evil said:

The thing is, Nathan Jones is going to offer 10x as much off the field as our 40th bloke will overall. and that's even if he doesn't play a game. and with a reduced soft cap, guys like this are going to be like gold as essentially development coaches. 

That's what it comes down and that's where I've had my doubts in the past. It's hard to say this and not sound like you're knocking him but Jones was a 1 man team for a long time and hardly the most successful or inspiring captain.

Apart from 15 years on the list there wasn't a lot to be said for keeping him on as a coach and leader from what I could tell. But him embracing that role towards the end of the season demonstrates that he's keen for it.

If he puts the same energy and enthusiasm in to mentoring the next guys as he has in to his own playing days this could be a very good decision.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, Dr evil said:

The thing is, Nathan Jones is going to offer 10x as much off the field as our 40th bloke will overall. and that's even if he doesn't play a game. and with a reduced soft cap, guys like this are going to be like gold as essentially development coaches. 

Re-signing Jones may also be a sign that the club lacks confidence in the tail end of this year's draft.

I'd love Jones to get to 300 games, but at the same time, I fear that if he gets to play the six games he needs, we may not be travelling that well. I hope he proves my fear to be unfounded.

37 minutes ago, spirit of norm smith said:

I’ll go.  
His heart is red and blue. His courage and loyalty is unrivaled.  

Is he in decline? Yes

Is he restricted? Yes

Is he still able to compete and play a role ? Yes. 

Can he be a mentor for the younger blokes about professionalism and what it takes? Absolutely 

I feel he will also be in much lower $ probably as low as about $250k. 

He may or may not to 300 games but he is depth, he is cover and he is able to make a meaningful contribution if required. 

If you go back to the Crows and Collingwood games this year, you will see what he can still brings. 

definitely a sentimental decision but having said that, if it comes to it id rather jones in the side than vandenberg...

hopefully given the experience he brings we can move on from ISmith and thing about phillips for the next 8 years ?

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, DeeSpencer said:

That's what it comes down and that's where I've had my doubts in the past. It's hard to say this and not sound like you're knocking him but Jones was a 1 man team for a long time and hardly the most successful or inspiring captain.

Apart from 15 years on the list there wasn't a lot to be said for keeping him on as a coach and leader from what I could tell. But him embracing that role towards the end of the season demonstrates that he's keen for it.

If he puts the same energy and enthusiasm in to mentoring the next guys as he has in to his own playing days this could be a very good decision.

You'd have to think that's the conversation. Nathan you're an assistant coach who may play if your form permits but ultimately you're a playing assistant to provide us depth. we really will need him to step well and truely into that role 

• Like 1

As always, it will depend on the role that he is asked to play on the field.

I like the idea of him playing as a "defensive" forward playing on the defence's sweeper and allowing the other smalls to run free.

Each team seems to have one player designated as a sweeper to fill the gaps and to provide an extra at contests. Let Jones sweep the sweeper away by negating their influence and role.

Any goals he kicks will be a bonus but he will keep the ball in the forward line.

• Like 1

So much for being ruthless!

Have no objections to Jonesy having an off field role. Assistant coach, runner, etc. But his pace, reflexes and general worth have declined so much in the past two years that he is just taking up a list spot... Surely this means the writing is on the wall for Nev.

• Like 1

He may play only eight or nine games, or even fewer depending on fitness, but his role off-field will be equal, and possibly greater than his on-field duties. This is fabric of the club stuff, showing respect to those who give their all while opening a new avenue to making a contribution.

Absolutely the right call.

• Like 1

Smarter move than most think. He finished the season off on the bench with a headset coaching which apparently he did well. He may play games next season and I hope he gets to 300 but his wage as a playing coach comes of the player budget NOT the soft cap for coaches which has been slashed by 3 million. I suspect Burgoyne is in the same role at Hawthorn. A dual role for Jones next yearend even if he plays at Casey (if there is a second tier comp next year) his game knowledge and experience is not lost and we don't alienate him. I wish him well

• Like 3

44 minutes ago, Pickett2Jackson said:

The bottom 20 players on out list must be really bad.

Should have retired.

I knew he wouldn't, hopefully he does the team first thing and plays a mentor role at Casey after he gets to 300. Alternatively if his form doesn't warrant a game I hope he accepts it and plays that mentor role. He's always struck me as a player who puts his needs first, hopefully I'm wrong.

30 minutes ago, dee-tox said:

So much for being ruthless!

Have no objections to Jonesy having an off field role. Assistant coach, runner, etc. But his pace, reflexes and general worth have declined so much in the past two years that he is just taking up a list spot... Surely this means the writing is on the wall for Nev.

There is a difference between being ruthless and bloody minded.  To discard a loyal servant of the club would be absolutely the latter.

• Love 2

1 hour ago, Whispering_Jack said:

I think that it would be fantastic to see him get to 300 games and Nathan Jones is a strong enough character to know that he can’t accept any games as gifts. He will earn them as he has done throughout his long career. 

Spot on. Wishing him the very best as he is red and blue through out

The Jones haters can go get Fked.

I'm stoked about Jonsey getting another year, the chance to play 300 and possibly finals/a flag.

The way he started this year in the forward line during the practice matches suggests to me he could be more than just depth if he can remain uninjured.  He may not have had huge possession numbers or goals during the season proper, but if you look at the goals we kicked in the games he played, he played an assisting role in many of them.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Love 3

I am really happy for Nathan and hopefully he can reach 300 (if his form warrants it).

However, all this talk about being a ruthless club, this smacks of being afraid of decisions from our past (Junior).

IMO Jones is passed it and will not offer us much on game days. But again, i am happy for Nathan, after staying with us through all of the [censored] times, he has at least earned his contract extension.

24 minutes ago, one_demon said:

I don't get it.  He doesn't fit in any position on the ground.

Exactly 

Where is he going to play?

every opposition team will love it. 

Sorry but it is a wasted spot for me

Jones is well past onfield duties. 

• Like 2

43 minutes ago, Older demon said:

Smarter move than most think. He finished the season off on the bench with a headset coaching which apparently he did well. He may play games next season and I hope he gets to 300 but his wage as a playing coach comes of the player budget NOT the soft cap for coaches which has been slashed by 3 million. I suspect Burgoyne is in the same role at Hawthorn. A dual role for Jones next yearend even if he plays at Casey (if there is a second tier comp next year) his game knowledge and experience is not lost and we don't alienate him. I wish him well

I think this might be close to the truth. Makes a lot of sense 

I’m beginning to trust the decisions the club makes; strange feeling! 

• Like 1