Jump to content

  • Podcast:      

  • Podcast:     

James Frawley Retires... And Starts Playing Again


Demonland
 Share


Recommended Posts

Not saying that any D’lander is a hypocrite (God forbid), but in the interests of full disclosure and transparency I think we should all declare, before passing comment on chip, whether we have ever

a)       changed jobs in our life

b)      choose an option which resulted in a greater financial return to us

c)       choose an option which provided us with greater opportunity

I tick all the above.

He gave 7 good years of good service when we were a rabble, (the last year club and player had separated in spirit) and we got pick 3 when he left. Won his medallion at the Hawks and has now taken the option of an extra year at the saints. Are people seriously saying he should forego a years income, at a level that he’ll probably never be able to earn post career.

  • Like 4
Link to comment
Share on other sites

And another thing, the assumption that a flag at the Hawks has a lesser value than one he would have won at the Dees is bogus. A flag, is a flag, is a flag. Pretty sure Brian Lake wouldn’t swap his 3 peat with the Hawks for a flag at the Dogs.

  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites


On 11/26/2020 at 4:52 PM, whatwhatsaywhat said:

i think players playing for three or more teams will become more and more the norm

the cachet of being a 'one club player' has completely disappeared in the modern era, with afl player and club mentality finally catching up to where overseas sports have been for 40+ years

For one reason only.... $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, BAMF said:

I get the angst and I agree that his premiership medallions aren't worth as much as others.

Yeah, he was at the highest level and should have got the best out of himself no matter what the scenario was.

But think about how poorly the club was being run.

Our priorities:

Losing games. High draft picks. Arguing with suppliers about the colour red. Blazers. Complicated logos. The presidents health. Whiteboards. 

At the time I was really disappointed with how Chip left the club. In hindsight I think it was a fantastic decision for him and don't begrudge him a single thing.

The Club is bigger than the individual player and Frawley decided he did not accept that Group value. That does not go well for the man then or now.. Dollars speak bigger values for Frawley.. If you do not believe me just go to the Saints web site ( after he "retired" and signed with St Kilda.....and read the BS he told their supporters... ) One could ask from those comments  if he thought so much of St kilda now why did he go to Hawthorn...  Oh, yeah, to get away from the "mismanaged Melbourne"  -  BS it was for fame and fortune.....at Hawthorn.. I have no time for this type of player who shows no Club loyalty... and I totally disagree with the excuses made in the post above. Facts are Facts...

Link to comment
Share on other sites

16 minutes ago, Ohio USA - David said:

The Club is bigger than the individual player and Frawley decided he did not accept that Group value. That does not go well for the man then or now.. Dollars speak bigger values for Frawley.. If you do not believe me just go to the Saints web site ( after he "retired" and signed with St Kilda.....and read the BS he told their supporters... ) One could ask from those comments  if he thought so much of St kilda now why did he go to Hawthorn...  Oh, yeah, to get away from the "mismanaged Melbourne"  -  BS it was for fame and fortune.....at Hawthorn.. I have no time for this type of player who shows no Club loyalty... and I totally disagree with the excuses made in the post above. Facts are Facts...

Are you in one of the States where weed is legal?

  • Haha 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites


2 hours ago, demonstone said:

You must really dislike May, Lever, Hibberd and Langdon, then.  It works both ways, you realise.

nah ds, it's one of those things that only work one way

not everything has to be scientifically logical

why else would we all be here spreading our passion on 'land when nothing much is coming the other way

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, Ohio USA - David said:

The Club is bigger than the individual player and Frawley decided he did not accept that Group value. That does not go well for the man then or now.. Dollars speak bigger values for Frawley.. If you do not believe me just go to the Saints web site ( after he "retired" and signed with St Kilda.....and read the BS he told their supporters... ) One could ask from those comments  if he thought so much of St kilda now why did he go to Hawthorn...  Oh, yeah, to get away from the "mismanaged Melbourne"  -  BS it was for fame and fortune.....at Hawthorn.. I have no time for this type of player who shows no Club loyalty... and I totally disagree with the excuses made in the post above. Facts are Facts...

Of course, if you're living in Ohio, you're in the land that has alternative facts.

  • Haha 4
Link to comment
Share on other sites

9 minutes ago, La Dee-vina Comedia said:

Of course, if you're living in Ohio, you're in the land that has alternative facts.

More so perpetually on the move

In a red phone box

  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 hours ago, Ohio USA - David said:

For one reason only.... $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

Obviously you don't believe that a player should have more important responsibilities in his life beyond the team... how dare he accept a position doing what he loves (playing footy) while at the same time putting his future in a much more secure position!

I sure hope that you never accepted a pay rise, or left one company to work for another that was offering better remuneration, conditions and a real shot at success; I'd hate to think you were a hypocrite. 

Edited by hardtack
  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 hours ago, Better days ahead said:

And another thing, the assumption that a flag at the Hawks has a lesser value than one he would have won at the Dees is bogus. A flag, is a flag, is a flag. Pretty sure Brian Lake wouldn’t swap his 3 peat with the Hawks for a flag at the Dogs.

I don't necessarily agree on this...

Whilst I'm sure his flag at the Hawks fills him with pride.

If he had won one with the Dees after going through the hard times with mates he started out with it would have just that little bit more value not the Hawks one of lesser value.

...but as you say, a flag is a flag and as I say, they're hard to come by...good luck to him.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I don't understand all this 'passion' about James Frawley. He walked, as every employee is entitled to. Good riddance, have a good life, James. 

I also understand that what galls is that he played good footy as a Demon, then played rather ordinary football - the lack of a tackle against the Bulldogs - and in the end, that's life. Sailor Vee, as they say in the navy.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, rjay said:

I don't necessarily agree on this...

Whilst I'm sure his flag at the Hawks fills him with pride.

If he had won one with the Dees after going through the hard times with mates he started out with it would have just that little bit more value not the Hawks one of lesser value.

...but as you say, a flag is a flag and as I say, they're hard to come by...good luck to him.

Nah a flag is a flag. I left one club where I played in a flag, to another where I won back to back. All three are as good as each other

  • Like 4
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I think the dichotomy of the current AFL being a BIG business that requires monetary decisions to be made but or the feeling of fans for the idea that it's about 'bleeding for the jumper' is very much at play here.

If you see the AFL as a business then what the clubs and players do in their decision making is just that, a business decision. Not a lot of room for romanticism.

If you see the AFL as being the old school tribalism that requires club loyalty and moves and trades eliciting an emotional response or betrayal then yeah, I can see how people would get [censored] at players for leaving and such.

I kind of swing between the two but find trying to fit them both in to be a case of cognitive dissonance.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 hours ago, hardtack said:

Obviously you don't believe that a player should have more important responsibilities in his life beyond the team... how dare he accept a position doing what he loves (playing footy) while at the same time putting his future in a much more secure position!

I sure hope that you never accepted a pay rise, or left one company to work for another that was offering better remuneration, conditions and a real shot at success; I'd hate to think you were a hypocrite. 

I believe that playing a Team sport is different  at the AFL  sporting level and is quite different than a "day job" in some ways that you and I enjoy. These players are on performance contracts and that contract encompasses a Team attitude to win ultimate glory - a Premiership flag for The Team and its members. There is little loyalty in a Club these days......Should a player leave a Team for another Club then he does it selfishly for money and other glory and not for the spirit of the Team he left behind. Just read the St Kilda Web site where Frawley speaks of how lovely it is to be at St Kilda and his reasoning...  Wipe away the BS and you begin to see it is for money $$$  There is no loyalty to The Team.. You can disagree with me all you like  but I am entitled to my own opinion.

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites


4 hours ago, Ohio USA - David said:

I believe that playing a Team sport is different  at the AFL  sporting level and is quite different than a "day job" in some ways that you and I enjoy. These players are on performance contracts and that contract encompasses a Team attitude to win ultimate glory - a Premiership flag for The Team and its members. There is little loyalty in a Club these days......Should a player leave a Team for another Club then he does it selfishly for money and other glory and not for the spirit of the Team he left behind. Just read the St Kilda Web site where Frawley speaks of how lovely it is to be at St Kilda and his reasoning...  Wipe away the BS and you begin to see it is for money $$$  There is no loyalty to The Team.. You can disagree with me all you like  but I am entitled to my own opinion.

 

But it’s a 2 way street Ohio. Collingwood showed no loyalty to Treloar and Stephenson so you can’t blame players for making decisions that are in their best interests.

Loyalty left the building when the AFL went professional. Perhaps revert back to the amateur status, take all that TV money and distribute it to clubs and grassroots to spend on facilities and junior coaching. Players play for the teams in the postcodes where they were born. It’s the model used in Gaelic Games in Ireland. You play for the county team you were born into. No transfers. It’ll never happen, too much money involved, but it’s the only way to ensure genuine loyalty to the Guernsey.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

18 minutes ago, Better days ahead said:

But it’s a 2 way street Ohio. Collingwood showed no loyalty to Treloar and Stephenson so you can’t blame players for making decisions that are in their best interests.

Loyalty left the building when the AFL went professional. Perhaps revert back to the amateur status, take all that TV money and distribute it to clubs and grassroots to spend on facilities and junior coaching. Players play for the teams in the postcodes where they were born. It’s the model used in Gaelic Games in Ireland. You play for the county team you were born into. No transfers. It’ll never happen, too much money involved, but it’s the only way to ensure genuine loyalty to the Guernsey.

Treloar and Stephenson were on Contracts as distinct from Frawley at Hawthorn where he chose to retire. Treloar had no reason to leave he could have stayed there and ran out his Contract.

Frawley on the other hand left Melbourne at the end of his contract and chose to retire from Hawthorn as I said then he writes this bizarre piece on the St Kilda Web site that makes him  out to be such a fallen soldier. A martyr for the Club and how he just loves being at the Club that his cousin Danny played for...  What he should have said to St Kilda fans is that " I am here for the money and if you think you can get an extra year out of me then fine... I will still take the money but I have no loyalty to the Club despite what I just said ...." I stand by my comments and please respect my point that I too have views - it is not a one way web site here. People have opposite views - so be it.

  • Facepalm 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 10/8/2020 at 11:24 PM, Cheesy D. Pun said:

You can't blame anyone for leaving in that era. The club was a complete and utter shambles.

Many potentially great young players had their careers ruined by incompetence - he didn't want to be one of them.

Think you might be giving "shambles" a bad wrap CDP. The Filth and Norff are an example "shambles" this year. We were the dictionary definition of diabolical ineptitude bordering on the criminally insane. 

  • Like 1
  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 minutes ago, Ohio USA - David said:

Treloar and Stephenson were on Contracts as distinct from Frawley at Hawthorn where he chose to retire. Treloar had no reason to leave he could have stayed there and ran out his Contract.

Frawley on the other hand left Melbourne at the end of his contract and chose to retire from Hawthorn as I said then he writes this bizarre piece on the St Kilda Web site that makes him  out to be such a fallen soldier. A martyr for the Club and how he just loves being at the Club that his cousin Danny played for...  What he should have said to St Kilda fans is that " I am here for the money and if you think you can get an extra year out of me then fine... I will still take the money but I have no loyalty to the Club despite what I just said ...." I stand by my comments and please respect my point that I too have views - it is not a one way web site here. People have opposite views - so be it.

I respect your point of view Ohio. Your opinion is just as valid as mine.  If a player can do a job and perform the club will retain them and as long as the player believes the team can win a flag they'll stay. If the interests of club and player align, happy days, if not then a parting of the ways occurs. Loyalty plays little part in it imv.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 hours ago, Ohio USA - David said:

I believe that playing a Team sport is different  at the AFL  sporting level and is quite different than a "day job" in some ways that you and I enjoy. These players are on performance contracts and that contract encompasses a Team attitude to win ultimate glory - a Premiership flag for The Team and its members. There is little loyalty in a Club these days......Should a player leave a Team for another Club then he does it selfishly for money and other glory and not for the spirit of the Team he left behind. Just read the St Kilda Web site where Frawley speaks of how lovely it is to be at St Kilda and his reasoning...  Wipe away the BS and you begin to see it is for money $$$  There is no loyalty to The Team.. You can disagree with me all you like  but I am entitled to my own opinion.

Yes, of course you're entitled to your own opinion, no one is denying that.  However, for AFL footballers these days, football IS a day job and as such they have the right to seek better conditions, better wages, and better opportunities for their advancement elsewhere, as soon as their contract has run its term.  

Gone are the days of footballers who held day jobs and played as part of a team on the weekends with a couple of evening practices a week.  These days AFL is a business, a very big business, and loyalty is a rarity.  Clubs move out players regardless of whether they have a contract or not just so they can free up salary cap space in order to attract the big names with big dollars and to attract big name sponsors with equally big cheque books - it's a two way street (give loyalty to get loyalty). 

If you want to apportion the blame, then I suggest you first look at the clubs who are offering the big money... as I have said in previous posts, the players are, rightfully, looking to secure their own (and their family's) futures and it is the clubs that are enabling that by making offers they can't refuse.  Their life as footballers with an opportunity to use their talents to make a good living is very limited unless they are one of the handful that have what it takes to move into the media post footy.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 hours ago, Ohio USA - David said:

I believe that playing a Team sport is different  at the AFL  sporting level and is quite different than a "day job" in some ways that you and I enjoy. These players are on performance contracts and that contract encompasses a Team attitude to win ultimate glory - a Premiership flag for The Team and its members. There is little loyalty in a Club these days......Should a player leave a Team for another Club then he does it selfishly for money and other glory and not for the spirit of the Team he left behind. Just read the St Kilda Web site where Frawley speaks of how lovely it is to be at St Kilda and his reasoning...  Wipe away the BS and you begin to see it is for money $$$  There is no loyalty to The Team.. You can disagree with me all you like  but I am entitled to my own opinion.

 

frankly I think you are taking the pi.. Football Clubs do not give out contracts for the life of a players career. Players and Club typically commit for three years. That is the extent of each parties loyalty to each other. I think you are confused with amateur, social footy or underage stuff played with your mates. AFL mateship is mostly BS. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Unfortunately, your content contains terms that we do not allow. Please edit your content to remove the highlighted words below.
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.
  • Match Previews, Reports & Articles  

    EYES ON RED & BLUE by Wilma from West Perth

    It was a great weekend for the Red and the Blue on this side of the Nullarbor.   On Saturday, West Perth bested Claremont by two goals after leading all day with the exception of a few early minutes to take out the WAFL Premiership and on Sunday, Melbourne scored a five goal win over Fremantle with a stunning four goals to zip in the final term.   Again, it was the red and the blue leading nearly all day to record their fifth win from six games.   The ou

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Match Reports

    THE TRADING CHRONICLES by The Oracle

    Part One - ZERO HOUR, 9AM The AFL Trade Period begins in earnest at 9.00am amid the announcement of a bombshell by North Melbourne’s 2021 Number 1 draft pick Jason Horne-Francis that he wants to leave the club and return to his home state to play for Port Adelaide.  The Herald Sun is reporting that “Horne-Francis will cite the instability at North Melbourne this year in his first season“ along with a likely continuation of chaos as a result of the uncertainty surrounding coach Alastair

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Special Features 1

    BLUE VIBE AT IKON by Meggs

    It was such a nice vibe at Ikon on Friday night.     Princes Park looked in excellent condition, a relaxed but modest crowd and President Kate Roffey and CEO Gary Pert in attendance, greeting fans and shaking hands.     It was an evening with little to complain about for Dees supporters, save for some drizzling rain, a few missed scoring opportunities and the fact that the Dees as raging favourites duly took the four points.   Carlton was always going to struggle to cover

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Match Reports

    BLUES AWAY by Meggs

    This Round 5 clash against the Blues at Princes Park (officially known as Ikon Park) is a great chance for the Dees to bounce back to the winning circle following our top-of-the-table loss to Brisbane last week.     Carlton will be missing several key players with the pundits calling 10 to nil.  Raging favouritism is never a comfortable thing for Melbourne supporters but we simply must deliver on Friday night.   History has seen these teams play four times since 2017 with the Dee

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Match Previews

    LIONS POUNCE by Meggs

    Early Sunday afternoon Meggs was coffeeing in Mornington and witnessing hail, thunder, lightning, rain, wind and feeling the freezing temperatures and knowing all these elements were heading towards Casey Fields.  Oh dear.  The Brisbane coach had said during the week that he wanted the game moved to Marvel because “if you're going to have two of the better teams in the comp playing, (it warrants) a venue and deck that suits the occasion”.  However, Casey Fields was uncharacteristi

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Match Reports

    RAINING PREMIERS by KC from Casey

    If the threatening dark grey skies that loomed above Ikon Park before the VFL Grand Final didn’t provide a sufficiently inhospitable reception for our visitors from sunny Queensland, the rains that bucketed down after quarter time certainly did. For years, the Casey Demons have welcomed opposing teams at their home fortress with rain, hail, wind and frosty conditions and it was just Southport’s luck that they met those conditions head on in the VFL’s big dance. They suited Casey’s skillful

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Casey Articles

    PRIDE OF VICTORIA by KC from Casey

    When Casey Demons coach Mark Corrigan talks about his charges putting their “best foot forward” on Sunday when they take on the Southport Sharks in the 2022 VFL Grand Final, it’s a signal that his team is on a mission not only for themselves but in  the name of their forebears, the Springvale Scorpions, and indeed for the pride and honour of the entire State of Victoria. The VFL club now known as the Casey Demons last won a premiership flag under the name of the Springvale Scorpions but tha

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Casey Articles

    NARRM AT HOME by Meggs

    For the fourth consecutive week, and the second week as the mighty Narrm, we take on a Top 8 team. Could this match be a preview of the Season 7 Grand Final?   Our opponents this week, Brisbane, stand undefeated atop the AFLW ladder after slaying the struggling Freo, and the unrated Giants and Gold Coast.  After amassing 225 points for and only 56 against, for a percentage of 401.8%, the pundits are claiming the Lions have the best attack the competition has ever seen.   Brisbane

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Match Previews

    CHANGES 2022 by The Oracle

    Part 1: The year we stood still (or did we?).  Premiership coach David Parkin who  coincidentally turned 80 yesterday, famously used to say that even a premiership team needs to bring at least five new players into the fold in order to advance from year to year and therefore, if this adage remains true, then the Melbourne Football Club really did stand still in 2022.  Of the players recruited after the club’s premiership in September, 2021, only Luke Dunstan (5 games) managed to provid

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Special Features
  • Tell a friend

    Love Demonland? Tell a friend!

×
×
  • Create New...