• Podcast:     

• Podcast:     

James Frawley Retires... And Starts Playing Again

My mark against is the way he played in his final season for us, I had always loved him, BUT he mailed it in that final season, and squibbed it on multiple occasions. Was our best FB in my years of supporting the club, hopefully May, sets a better standard.

Edit. Compare to the way Dangerfield tore it up at Adelaide, there was a respectable way to leave a club.

Edited by DaisyDeeciple
As posted
  • Like 2
  • Replies 157
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Meh. Jumped ship to chase success in our lowest point. Good riddance 

Thanks for nothing Chip

He got the cheap Flag he wanted. I remember the day he "gave up" whilst playing under Roosy..

I remember lauding CAC on draft day for this pick.  Joking...  Not sure if old-timers will remember my ignominy ?

A good ordinary footballer who won't be remembered with terribly much emotion by either clubs supporters I suspect.

• Like 2

Of on a tangent here but speaking of retiring players- Brian Dixon-legendary No 9 wingman. Retired at the end of 1968.

I have memories of being in the Cheer Squad at the time and we took up a collection for him passing the hat around-and presented it to him at the end of the Round 14 match at South Melbourne, He was good enough to come out of the change rooms and talk to us.

I'm a bit confused as to why we made that presentation at the end of Round 14 when his last match was against Richmond 4 rounds later.  Maybe he had made the announcement that he was going to retire.  Oh well-still a good memory and  glad I was  part of his send off. What a great player..and it was his flat punt kick that ended up going over  Barassi's head and bouncing off the pack for Neil Crompton to have his date with history!

Edited by Demons3031
spelling
  • Like 4
  • Love 1

Played well for us while he was a Demon, we shifted him to the forward line when we knew he was on the way out. Got pick 3 for him as compensation and got Gus from it, we've done ok.

Good luck to him, people need to get over his departure.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Hannibal Inc. said:

I remember lauding CAC on draft day for this pick.  Joking...  Not sure if old-timers will remember my ignominy ?

A good ordinary footballer who won't be remembered with terribly much emotion by either clubs supporters I suspect.

Fair point PD.

I remember him kicking a long bomb in that big comeback win against Freo. I remember being disappointed when he left.

But now, I don't GAF.

• Like 1

I'm not a fan of players who leave weaker clubs to walk into strong ones to win a flag. I just don't see that as being rewarding or deserving in anywhere near the same way as it is for players who take the long road with a club to get there.

He walked into an all-time elite outfit and rode their wave into a premiership.

But, in saying that, he was a good player for us and if he wanted to chase success elsewhere, that was his right. When he left it didn't look like we'd be getting anywhere near a flag for years.

He played more than 100 games for us and was a shining light at times when we didn't have much else to cheer for.

I'll always reflect more positively than not on his time here, but I don't really reflect positively on his premiership.

• Like 1
3 hours ago, Demons3031 said:

Hi SWYL  I hear where you are coming from on this. Barassi leaving still hurts me a lot. But I'm still grateful for what he gave us and respect him a lot. Being born in 1950 I'm among a few of the older folk on here who have gone through the pain for each of those 56 years. I think I care enough. And  I still think its the right thing to do to congratulate a player on a fine career-even if they end up elsewhere. But I can relate to your feelings about loyalty.

God, why??? Let it go man. 

• Like 1

You can't blame anyone for leaving in that era. The club was a complete and utter shambles.

Many potentially great young players had their careers ruined by incompetence - he didn't want to be one of them.

4 hours ago, Gunna’s said:

What were your thoughts on Goody giving Woosha a handshake after the essendon game? And the team giving an ‘avenue of honour’?

I don’t really care about the post, nothing more than cheap wave when driving up a narrow street or quick sorry without looking at someone when accidentally bumping in the supermarket  

Not really comparable there. Sure, I get them posting, but not sure it breeds much loyalty within the ranks of the club to be celebrating past defectors.

I'm not saying we have to snipe, I just don't think it's warranted.

What were your thoughts on the third season of Breaking Bad?

• Like 1
10 hours ago, Undeeterred said:

God, why??? Let it go man. 

Hi Undeeterred. Yes I "Let it go" a long time ago. That doesn't say at times when you think back that there are still no painful memories. As I said, RDB had every right to leave the way he was treated. But as a 14 year old then it hurt- so I understand and accept that a part of me still feels a bit of pain-but I still love the guy and would love to have sit down coffee and chat with him before or after I pass through the pearly gates.

Edited by Demons3031
spelling
  • Like 1
14 hours ago, DubDee said:

He was a gun back in 2010. Not sure what happened. 

any player with trade value left during our most horrible years aside from jones. I think most people would do the same. After putting in 8 years, I don’t begrudge him. People don’t hate rivers etc for leaving. 

I middle on my opinions of Chip. As a rule I love defenders and we certainly got to see what our defenders were made of in the late 2000s early 2010s.

One player I never struggle with for having left though is Rivers. Riv was my favourite player to watch at Melbourne and, in my opinion, we took the best years of his career and lost games on purpose. He owed us nothing when he left.

The thing that irks me about Chip is less him and more the FA rules. He was an UFA due to a quirk in the rules that saw him fall out of the top 10 paid players at the club (or something like it). But his contract was so heavily front loaded that his average wage over the contract length would've seen him easily be a top 10 paid player on the list. As an UFA though we lost a lot of bargaining power in that situation.

He left for success but that success isn't guaranteed. Ask any Geelong supporter how easy it is to win back to back flags.

For mine, I'll remember Chip in 2010. His efforts against Brisbane which have been mentioned earlier but also I feel like I remember a blistering chase down of Lewis Jetta against Sydney. We got the best out of him when he was a Dee and he got the best out of Hawthorn in his time there.

PS: The player leaving that bothers me most is Cam Bruce. Undecided in trade week and then just up and leaves afterwards when we have no chance of compensation? Thanks! Jerk.

I don't get this view that people have that players should have to stay in a completely dysfunctional environment for their entire career just because the supporters will put up with mediocrity for years on end. This is a job that, for even the very best players, will be gone in 12 - 15 years. None of us would stay in a job we didn't enjoy for a decade, so how can we blame players for leaving when a superior offer lands on the table.

Good luck to Chip, and thanks for eight years of great service.

• Like 1
  • 1 month later...

On 10/8/2020 at 5:53 PM, Deespicable said:

Very pleased also that he keeps up regularly with Gawny and Dunny and Howey at a bar in Richmond, at least until this year. That's loyalty that a few on here clearly don't appreciate. He battled for almost a decade with us through ****ty times and full credit to him for getting a flag, just like Stan Alves and Greg Wells before him.

Australian nicknames at their very best. Made all the more amusing by the likelihood that if Frawley didn't actually have a real nickname, his '-ey' ending would be removed and he'd become 'Frawls'.

I'm disappointed in the amount of negative comments about him on this thread. Whatever happened to the "if you can't say anything nice, say nothing" axiom? I think any player who chooses to leave a club is perfectly entitled to do so. It's not like clubs are any more loyal to their players. Just ask Adam Treloar or Jack Watts. And while Frawley played with us, I always thought he gave it his best.

• Like 2
34 minutes ago, george_on_the_outer said:

Carlisle, Frawley and Nathan Brown as the Saints defence!

I thought Geelong had a problem with  zimmer frames crowding the players race.

brown RETIRED retired 😄

it's howard, carlisle and frawley as the 'emergency' tall defender

they really don't have much kpp depth

Edited by whatwhatsaywhat
  • Grapeviney changed the title to James Frawley Retires... And Starts Playing Again

Left us in the gutter and didn,t look back. Frawley played his last season for us and couldnt wait to run out the door.

In fact he stepped  over us in the gutter. So how can l respect him after playing in a Premiership for  the Hawks. 

Now he is out of retirement to play with the Saints. He has done the dirty again shame. 

• Like 1