Tom McDonald

Elegt

9 hours ago, olisik said:

You guys are kidding if you think we would get a 2nd rounder for him. He wouldn’t make the best 22 in any other team. Lucky to get a pick in the 80s if a club is desperate for depth.

I agree. His value has evaporated.  Surely it's that foot injury of his - having to soak it in a bucket of hot water before games to get moving according to TMac himself last year.

• Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

Wow. he had an absolute Barry Crocker.  Not only no value, a dead set liability on the night.  Kicked 4 in the praccy match.  What to make of it all?  Would almost be the fist dropped for mine for next week.  Is he ‘done’?  Not writing him off yet, but he is not a shadow on what he needs to be.  Can we swap him for that Georgiadis kid?

He lacks footy smarts. That was highlighted by his shot on goal in the second quarter.  He has less than 1 m out on a tight angle.  He went back about 10m and tried a left foot snap.  He should have gone back 2-3m and either left foot snap or right foot banana, the probability of him kicking the goal from 2-3m is a great deal more than the big left foot snap he tried.

Tom was a good defender just turned the ball over to many times.  Is he limited to the deep hit up forward, issue is Weiderman is competing much better in the air than McDonald.  I thought he could be the hit up CHF but just gets pushed off the ball to easy

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Forest Demon said:

He’s done. It’s sad because he was obviously a good player, but he has added size and looks like an absolute lump out there.

It’s the size that worries me.  If it was intentional, to try to build him into a ‘power-forward’ then it was a huge mistake.

I suspect however that an injury, possibly his toe, is preventing him from training to the same level he has in the past.

When he was at his best 2017-18, he was very mobile.

• Like 1

Absolutely destroyed by a incompetent and inept football department. We started the year by bulking him up so he could play the Hawkins role out of the goal square, which was never going to be his go. He has always been an endurance athlete.

Then Goodwin belatedly works out we need Weideman in the side, so we send McDonald out to half forward only to find out he can't run with this extra weight. Plus he already has Melksham, Fritsch and Hannan operating in the same areas, none of whom can take a mark or apply a tackle.

McDonald could still be a good second tall forward, as he was when Hogan was monstering defences in 2018 and taking all the opposition attention, but Weideman doesn't have the same presence.

• Like 2

I don't want to say it but he is in trouble. In the blink of an eye he's on the back 9, can't move anywhere near what he could. It can happen though, not all footy careers are linear projections sometimes you get bad luck. 

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Elegt said:

Does anyone actually rate this guy? Don't think I've ever seen a slower footballer in my life

Glenn Giles was slow, but not as Slow as this Guy!

14 hours ago, Pates said:

Our forward line has functioned better without him the last two weeks, I think that's a bad sign for him.

I felt like our game plan early last night was to go long and high forward to take advantage of Weed, TMac and Jackson. The guys tried to kick the leather off the ball, coughed it up and lost all confidence, and it was essentially game over.

Previous two weeks both Weideman and Jackson moved up to the ball, we tried to put it in front of them, and even if we didn’t deliver it brought other players into the game.

10 minutes ago, The heart beats true said:

I felt like our game plan early last night was to go long and high forward to take advantage of Weed, TMac and Jackson. The guys tried to kick the leather off the ball, coughed it up and lost all confidence, and it was essentially game over.

Previous two weeks both Weideman and Jackson moved up to the ball, we tried to put it in front of them, and even if we didn’t deliver it brought other players into the game.

if that was the case why were we constantly kicking to the pockets where fritsch and hannan were leading?

either our players are dumb or our coaching staff is or a combination of both

i lean towards c

Can we stop with the "put him in defence" thing? His field kicking coming out of the backline is a team destroyer and we cannot tolerate it. We also don't need it with May and Lever finally settling into their roles.

He kicked 53 goals in 20 games, and a sizeable portion of those games didn't have Hogan so let's also drop the "it was fine when Hogan was there" schtick too.

He's capable, but he's not delivering. Simple as that.

Is it fitness? Probably. He was always an elite endurance runner but that's disappeared. He was also always a reliable shot on goal and that's gone too.

Is it confidence? I think so. I think he's a major confidence player and in 2018 he felt like he could do anything. Now I suspect he thinks he can't do anything right.

Is it coaching? I think so too. He should be playing a lead-up mobile forward role, not a goalsquare gorilla role, nor a high half-forward/wing role.

Ultimately it doesn't matter what it is, the reality is he's not best 22 and shouldn't be playing. From where he was in 2018 to where he is now is a remarkable drop. If he cannot get fit and improve, his career at this club is probably finished. 

• Like 5
  • Love 1

• 3 weeks later...

2 minutes ago, Queanbeyan Demon said:

His market value has completely collapsed in 24 months unfortunately.  August 2018 probably worth a first round pick. August 2020 . . . ???

No idea - maybe a late 2nd rounder from a team desperate for a forward who would take the punt he returns to form? I wonder if the Jackson selection was part influenced by the downfall of TMac in 2019. He would free up a fair bit of cap space too, should he depart.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1