GAMEDAY: Rd 02 vs Carlton

Yippee ki-yay my mother-[censored] weirdo MFC internet family. I love you all. So excited to open Demonland and see a gameday thread - whereas before I would avoid them like the plague. 

• Like 5
  • Haha 4

Before the Kozzie suspension we had the best balance of a modern structure I could recall for us. My only concern was Jackson as second tall forward and risk that he will too easily get moved under the high ball. If rumours are true that he will play in defence then I would be gobsmacked as to why you would do this to a kid when he has not trained defence at all preseason to my knowledge.  I am going to attempt to ignore results this season and just want to see aggressive running and ball use offensively and defensively. Time for those that have quoted how much last year hurt and how this has driven them over preseason x 2 to show it. 

• Like 2

Not too upset about ANB coming in, if he does his job and helps lock down on some of Carlton's rebound from defence. Will still be missing Pickett though.

Seems to me we have an enormous amount of mid sized running players going out there today. On the one hand that worries me with players pushed to roles that aren't their best (eg. The Harmes at hbf controversy),  on the other hand we should have the legs to sustain two-way effort all game. 

I also feel like we've got a much better depth of 'players of interest', players who can individually have a real inpact on the game.

Pittonet may be 'strong and aggressive' but he's got little chance of physically disrupting Gawn on his own, when Gawn is so much fitter yet still stronger. 

In general, the blue's physical strength drops away dramatically in every part of the ground after just a couple of beasts. Cripps then Curnow then ??? in the midfield. Their defence looks like a great place for a young, agile tall with great reaction instincts like LJ because they won't be able to monster him and they don't collectively have the agility to keep up with his enthuastic puppy approach to loose balls. I'll be watching closely for what may become the Jackson trademark up forward - splitting a contest then grabbing his own crumbs.

Big chance for the Demons to do something noteworthy today. (Mfcss kicks in.... now)

A successful test run of Kayo last night means everything is primed here in the iso bunker.

Cannot wait to stick it right up my Carlton mates saying this is a normal Dees crowd, predicting Bennell will last only a quarter etc. etc.

Give 'em hell!

And I kneel before thee, Lord Nev, on the occasion of your 150 - what an achievement.

• Like 7

Looking forward to:

a 60m roost up the wing from Rivers

a giant leap from LJ

actually having some run on the wings 

Bennell hitting targets inside 50

viney attacking the ball like an animal 

• Like 4

1 hour ago, FarNorthernD said:

Don’t think it has been mentioned that it is Nev’s 150th today.
I reckon he will put on a vintage Nev display today and we will win

https://www.melbournefc.com.au/news/704921/jamie-bennell-s-tribute-for-nev-s-150th

Go Nev!

I'm not overly concerned about Pickett not playing and ANB replacing him... yes he's an excitement machine, but I think a few here have him pegged already as the new messiah.  Go back to round one and despite his two goals, he was actually pretty ordinary for most of the game.  Sure I would rather have seen Lockhart, Hannan or Bedford come in for Pickett, and I know we can't put too much faith in Fantasy Footy points, but ANB did outscore Pickett there, no doubt due to his pressure acts that everyone seems to overlook (not everyone can be flash nick from Jindivik); I think he's unfairly maligned.

The most interest in this game for me is going to be seeing just how intense Harley will be in a real contest.  I'm also excited to see how Hunt will perform now that he's been given a chance.

• Like 8

I'm giving ANB a chance here, he wasn't horrific in round 1 (although that was some time ago) 

Hopefully doesn't get much again time on ground again (had the 3rd least in round 1 behind Spargo + Bedford both of them not playing today). 

My eyes will be very focused on Gus Brayshaw - he had a dreadful 2019 and needs to provide something more to the team. Hopefully can drift forward and kick a few. 

Also really, really excited to see Viney (something I normally wouldn't say) but his display in round 1 was nothing short of incredible. 

He's an animal as we all know but I imagine he'll be champing at the bit to get back out there, plus he'll be over any of those niggling injuries he had. 

2 hours ago, FarNorthernD said:

Don’t think it has been mentioned that it is Nev’s 150th today.
I reckon he will put on a vintage Nev display today and we will win

https://www.melbournefc.com.au/news/704921/jamie-bennell-s-tribute-for-nev-s-150th

He has done our great club proud, it dosn't feel like 150 games, as they say time goes bye so fast?

1 hour ago, Bitter but optimistic said:

Just waiting at Scumbury station for the train to Spencer Street.

Aiming for my usual counter lunch and gutful of pots before heading over to Docklands

Funny …… I don't see any other supporters around.   Well as they say …… the early bird ….

Mate you know Dees fans never go to that stadium, you’ll be right, keep heading in and you’ll start to see a few of them on the bridge surely. 

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Copuchas said:

Silvagni out with gastro so it's one apiece on the withdrawals front...

???

The top ten things I would like to see during this game to make me feel better about MFC 2020:

1) Luke Jackson commit one act of brutality and at least one demonstration of unprecedented athleticism.

2) Harley Bennell not to pull up with a ping. Like whatever the opposite of that is.

3) One or hopefully more of Viney, Petracca or Oliver to turn it on as if other-worldly possessed. 

4) Eddie Betts frustrated and complaining to the umpires and funny shorts. 

5) I like Levi Casboult. I don't mind if he kicks a goal at some stage. But balanced by a hideous miss. 

6) Some sort of space-time continuum malfunction where Pickett runs out with the team and no one mentions it. 

7) Melksham to show that he cares and then does something about it. 

8) Football journalists drafting articles on how Fritsch is actually the best key forward in the game. 

9) Lots of goals. Preferably a mix of boring ones and exciting ones. TMac can have all the boring ones. 

10) Steven May to kick the best kick that ever happened. An 80-meter stab-pass maybe. 

• Like 6

1 hour ago, big_red_fire_engine said:

Before the Kozzie suspension we had the best balance of a modern structure I could recall for us. My only concern was Jackson as second tall forward and risk that he will too easily get moved under the high ball. If rumours are true that he will play in defence then I would be gobsmacked as to why you would do this to a kid when he has not trained defence at all preseason to my knowledge.  I am going to attempt to ignore results this season and just want to see aggressive running and ball use offensively and defensively. Time for those that have quoted how much last year hurt and how this has driven them over preseason x 2 to show it. 

More likely Gawn and Tomlinson will push back into D50.

I have a funeral to attend starting at bounce down so will be watching a replay later on. 
Carlton are a dramatically improved side under Teague and let’s face it, their recent drafting has been pretty good but wasn’t showing the benefits under Bolton’s game plan. 
This will be a close tussle. 

Dee’s by 79pts 

• Like 1
  • Love 1
  • Haha 4

51 minutes ago, Skuit said:

The top ten things I would like to see during this game to make me feel better about MFC 2020:

1) Luke Jackson commit one act of brutality and at least one demonstration of unprecedented athleticism.

2) Harley Bennell not to pull up with a ping. Like whatever the opposite of that is.

3) One or hopefully more of Viney, Petracca or Oliver to turn it on as if other-worldly possessed. 

4) Eddie Betts frustrated and complaining to the umpires and funny shorts. 

5) I like Levi Casboult. I don't mind if he kicks a goal at some stage. But balanced by a hideous miss. 

6) Some sort of space-time continuum malfunction where Pickett runs out with the team and no one mentions it. 

7) Melksham to show that he cares and then does something about it. 

? Football journalists drafting articles on how Fritsch is actually the best key forward in the game. 

9) Lots of goals. Preferably a mix of boring ones and exciting ones. TMac can have all the boring ones. 

10) Steven May to kick the best kick that ever happened. An 80-meter stab-pass maybe. 

Whatever you’ve ingested Skui, I want some.

• Like 2

[censored] it's a long time to 4.30

Absolutely stupid time to start a game of footy.  Night games you don't worry about cos you know it's at night.... But 4:30.... 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, jako13 said:

[censored] it's a long time to 4.30

Absolutely stupid time to start a game of footy.  Night games you don't worry about cos you know it's at night.... But 4:30.... 

It's all about the broadcasters jako!

Edited by old dee