• IMPORTANT: PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Posting unsubstantiated rumours on this website is strictly forbidden.

Demonland has made the difficult decision to not permit this platform to be used to discuss & debate the off-field issues relating to the Melbourne Football Club including matters currently being litigated between the Club & former Board members, board elections, the issue of illicit drugs in footy, the culture at the club & the personal issues & allegations against some of our players & officials ...

We do not take these issues & this decision lightly & of course we believe that these serious matters affecting the club we love & are so passionate about are worthy of discussion & debate & I wish we could provide a place where these matters can be discussed in a civil & respectful manner.

However these discussions unfortunately invariably devolve into areas that may be defamatory, libelous, spread unsubstantiated rumours & can effect the mental health of those involved. Even discussion & debate of known facts or media reports can lead to finger pointing, blame & personal attacks.

The repercussion is that these discussions can open this website, it’s owners & it’s users to legal action & may result in this website being forced to shutdown.

Our moderating team are all volunteers & cannot moderate the forum 24/7 & as a consequence problematic content that contravenes our rules & standards may go unnoticed for some time before it can be removed.

We reserve the right to delete posts that offend against our above policy & indeed, to ban posters who are repeat offenders or who breach our code of conduct.

WE HAVE BUILT A FANTASTIC ONLINE COMMUNITY AT DEMONLAND OVER THE PAST 23 YEARS & WE WOULD LIKE TO CONTINUE TO BE ABLE TO DISCUSS THE CLUB WE LOVE & ARE SO PASSIONATE ABOUT.

Thank you for your continued support & understanding. Go Dees.

Training Ground?

Romey

2 hours ago, Kent said:

I guess in our own minds we are the good guys

WE have zero chance in my view of any government money Just the way it is.

We are perceived as a wealthy club with wealthy members 

what is in it for any government to give us monetary support

Sadly 100% correct Kent.

• Sad 1

2 hours ago, Kent said:

And yet, I’ve never seen anything from the club to raise money for a home base.  This makes me fear we are further away from a shovel hitting the dirt than we think.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, drdrake said:

Yeh, the government doesn't give a rats if MFC has facilities less than other clubs.  They look at the community voting benefit, you need to add layers, the Pies used Netball to get money then folded their Netball side.  Richmond use bash Houli Academy, Essendon paraolyimpics, Carlton and dogs home of female football. What is our sell.

fixed it for ya, drd

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, Kent said:

we should be using that perception to extend the $ we have with the reputation as "good guys" as reflecting an ability to achieve outcomes. Governments also like to back winners.

• Like 2

30 minutes ago, dpositive said:

we should be using that perception to extend the $ we have with the reputation as "good guys" as reflecting an ability to achieve outcomes. Governments also like to back winners.

It's simple there are no votes from giving the MFC money. We are spread across 25 electorates. 

• Like 1
  • Clap 1

Timing appears not to be our strong suit.

• Dominate the competition before television.
  • Membership and revenue compromised by having a sizable percentage of supporters as MCC members
  • Win a premiership while your membership is locked in their homes with a curfew.
  • Trying to get interest in a training ground when the days of the big build and low interest rates are well behind us.

Perhaps we can ride the AI wave to glory because there aren't too many other surf breaks on the horizon

Edited by Diamond_Jim
  • Like 2
  • Thinking 1
  • Sad 3

55 minutes ago, daisycutter said:

fixed it for ya, drd

Yep, the inner city seats you need female or Multicultural policy, might be more for preferences than the vote especially the Greens in that area.

Got to be in a swing electorate as well.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, TeamPlayedFine39 said:

And yet, I’ve never seen anything from the club to raise money for a home base.  This makes me fear we are further away from a shovel hitting the dirt than we think.

Absolutely correct.  Imagine if we had put $10 a year on top of Membership to be directed toward a facility that @old dee and I have been hearing promised for the past 30 years!

At least we would be part of the way there, instead of walking around with a begging bowl. 

Hawthorns new facility is projected to be $120M, and the government has committed to a percentage, but the rest is coming from their own coffers, that they built.  Our coffers amount to the sale of 2 facilities that Joe bought for us all those years ago.  And at the last AGM we were told those funds would not be used for facilities....!!

• Like 4

2 hours ago, Sir Why You Little said:

We had our chance many years ago, and turned it down. 
the contribution of Diamond Joe….

Would you have rathered that we merged?

For all of Gutnick's short-comings, and there were quite a few towards the end, he at least led the anti-merger campaign to victory.

• Thanks 2

32 minutes ago, Demon Disciple said:

Would you have rathered that we merged?

For all of Gutnick's short-comings, and there were quite a few towards the end, he at least led the anti-merger campaign to victory.

This was a totally separate issue. 
Gutnick made no effort to engage with Members to raise any revenue for a Training Facility. He just flatly said, we can’t afford that

And 20+ years later we are still paying for that atrocious decision 

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

8 minutes ago, Sir Why You Little said:

Gutnick made no effort to engage with Members to raise any revenue for a Training Facility. He just flatly said, we can’t afford that

Wrong.

He had already put up a couple of Million dollars to stop the club going broke.  The club had no money and it was too much to expect him to stump up more.  Without him the club would have folded.

• Like 9

Just now, george_on_the_outer said:

Wrong.

He had already put up a couple of Million dollars to stop the club going broke.  The club had no money and it was too much to expect him to stump up more.  Without him the club would have folded.

I never said he should pay for the Facilities.
But he made no effort to create any revenue streams to make it possible.

I worked with a board member at the time, so i was given some first hand info regularly, We could have raised money for the Lexus Complex and should have. Too late now….

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, Sir Why You Little said:

Unbelievable.

The guy got us 2 facilities we sold for millions, I think in the order of $30m and personally threw in $2.7m of his own and you are having a go at him, for not begging the members for money, for a facility, that several previous and post MFC Boards have promised and to this point have failed to deliver.

Wow!

• Like 12
  • Thanks 2
  • Love 1
  • Clap 3

Diverging slightly, the Foundation Heroes/Legends group has been "re-launched" (it probably should not have laid dormant?) with the purpose of tapping the well-heeled for a facility - presumably Caulfield in the long term. An event was held at the MCG in August 2023. Not sure what has happened since.

The hat was also being whipped around to complete an aquatic facility out at Casey. Also, not sure what has happened about that?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Redleg said:

Unbelievable.

The guy got us 2 facilities we sold for millions, I think in the order of $30m and personally threw in $2.7m of his own and you are having a go at him, for not begging the members for money, for a facility, that several previous and post MFC Boards have promised and to this point have failed to deliver.

Wow!

He threw in about 80% of what he originally pledged. The last couple of payments were very tough to receive. 
We were offered a Training Facility in a Prime Spot and Joe turned it down without any discussion or debate.
So yes i am having a go at him, as i have said before Revenue Streams could, and should have been set up. We were at The Junction Oval at that stage, that place was a complete Health Hazard 

Edited by Sir Why You Little
  • Like 2

1 minute ago, Sir Why You Little said:

He threw in about 80% of what he originally pledged. The last couple of payments were very tough to receive. 
We were offered a Training Facility in a Prime Spot and Joe turned it down without any discussion or debate.
So yes i am having a go at him, as i have said before Revenue Streams could, and should have been set up. We were at The Junction Oval at that stage, that place was a complete Health Hazard 

You think he acted alone without the Board.

It was 90% actually, $2.7m of $3m, still the biggest single donation ever given to the club.

What revenue streams back then, would have got us the $30m approx he left us, for Bentleigh and Oakleigh, plus his $2.7m.

What have the last few Boards added to what he left us?

He may not have been the President I personally wanted, but his contribution to the MFC was huge, in addition to helping save the club from a  merger, which would have seen a different club today.

• Like 10
  • Thanks 1
  • Clap 2

1 minute ago, Redleg said:

You think he acted alone without the Board.

It was 90% actually, $2.7m of $3m, still the biggest single donation ever given to the club.

What revenue streams back then, would have got us the $30m approx he left us, for Bentleigh and Oakleigh, plus his $2.7m.

What have the last few Boards added to what he left us?

He may not have been the President I personally wanted, but his contribution to the MFC was huge, in addition to helping save the club from a  merger, which would have seen a different club today.

Yes Joe acted alone. That was the main problem. There was no debate or discussion. 
i am not disputing he didn’t help save the club from merging.
I think you underestimate what could have been done if Members and influential Supporters had been called to arms at the time. 
It was Joe’s way or else, and that became a great hindrance sadly

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

37 minutes ago, Diamond_Jim said:

Listening to the radio this morning they reported on a Womens Big Bash game played last night at Casey Fields.

Is that "our" Casey fields?

I assumed we no longer had the cricket pitch issues. Hard centre square area etc

Most likely on Oval 4 or 5 which is home to Casey- South Melbourne Cricket Club. Although in the master plan there is a plan to expand the grand stand and also introduce drop in pitches with a view to host big bash and AFL matches on the main oval which is ours.

City of Casey
Casey Fields 

Casey Fields is South East Melbourne’s premier sports and recreation precinct. It is home to two professional sporting clubs, Melbourne Demons (AFL/AFLW) and Melbourne City Football Club (A-League), and regularly hosts state level and nationally televised events in sports such as cricket, rugby league, athletics and BMX.

In less than two decades, Casey Fields has grown from 87-hectares of farmland to a complex boasting more than 30 fields, tracks and courts for professional and community sport. With an increasing array of clubs and associations partnering with Council, and with a dedicated train station proposed as part of the future Clyde Rail extension, the future promises to be exciting.

Partnerships, clubs and events

Casey Fields is the City of Casey’s premier sporting precinct and the epicentre of South East Melbourne’s sporting landscape, with professional clubs, athletes and events finding a home at the complex. Throughout 2021, Casey Fields’ two professional tenant clubs, the Melbourne Demons and Melbourne City FC, won silverware in the AFL and A-League Men’s respectively. Casey Fields regularly hosts nationally televised events such as AFL pre-season, AFLW, VFL, Women’s Big Bash League, NRL pre-season and A-League Women's games. With facilities open to the public, residents can come to Casey Fields and see some of Australia’s best male and female athletes plying their trade, and with professional pathways on-site in sports such as Australian Rules, cricket and football, the platform is set for Casey's young people to chase their sporting dreams.

Elite clubs and associations 

State and regional events 

Community sport 

Grassroots clubs based at Casey Fields

Casey clubs logos

As well as servicing professional sport, Casey Fields is also a proud supporter of community sporting clubs, housing a total of 16 organisations across the precinct. From footy and cricket, to darts, blokarting and cycling, these organisations stretch across nine different sporting disciplines, which showcases the diversity of the Casey Fields offering. The Cranbourne Tennis Club is the precinct’s longest serving tenant, having commenced on site in 2005, while the Casey BMX Club is our most recent grassroots sporting addition, competing out of Casey Fields since 2018.

If you’re interested in learning more about, or even joining, one of these clubs then head to their websites listed below.

Cranbourne Tennis  Cranbourne Cricket Devon Meadows Junior Football
Cranbourne Little Athletics Casey Cardinia Athletics  Casey Warriors Rugby League 
Casey Wolves BMX Base Cycling Casey Cardinia Human Powered Vehicles Cycling
Green Valley Darts and Social Club  Victorian Blokart Club Victorian Masters Athletics

Facilities

Casey Fields has more than 30 courts, fields and tracks for professional clubs, grassroots clubs and the community to all enjoy – with more planned for the future.

Sporting

Main Oval

Main oval

The precinct’s premier facility, the Main Oval, has fronted Casey Fields since April 2006,  regularly hosting AFL pre-season, AFLW and VFL / VFLW matches. Adjoining the playing field is the Casey Demons / Melbourne Demons administration pavilion, complete with change rooms, a function room and office space both for the club and for state sporting associations. To facilitate the growth of the AFLW program, the facility received an $8 million upgrade in 2018-19 that saw the development of an indoor high-performance centre. The project, which also included a refurbishment of the existing pavilion, was made possible by $5m in funding from the Victorian Government and $500,000 from the AFL.  

Long-term plans for the Main Oval include an upgrade of lighting and the addition of grandstands which would lift the venue to a standard capable of hosting AFL Premiership matches. Provision for the addition of a drop-in cricket wicket also form part of future plans, which will open up the possibility of Big Bash League cricket matches being played at Casey Fields. 

Edited by Dee Viney Intervention
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2

31 minutes ago, Diamond_Jim said:

Listening to the radio this morning they reported on a Womens Big Bash game played last night at Casey Fields.

Is that "our" Casey fields?

I assumed we no longer had the cricket pitch issues. Hard centre square area etc

Different oval D_J. Hence the Casey Fields. 

Australian Rules Football on the Main oval. 

Premier Cricket played on Ovals 3 & 4 etc. 

"In addition to the VFL Oval, Casey Fields has four other ovals which are used for Australian rules football in winter and cricket in summer. "

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Casey_Fields

• Thanks 2

• 3 weeks later...

Look at the amount of funding the Cats have received from the state gvt over the last 20yrs to develop multiple stands. Yet they can’t find a blade of grass for a training centre for the MFC a club that bears the name of the city. Understanding that our club handling of this has been very poor in decades gone past, we are a club born out of a stadium the MCC/G we are not a club from a suburb which was part of the VFL, very frustrating 

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kardinia_Park_(stadium)

• Thanks 1