WELCOME TO THE MELBOURNE FOOTBALL CLUB - HARLEY BENNELL

Tinks

25 minutes ago, Demons11 said:

But they still got a 2nd one in

And the Tigers also acknowledged that they needed another kpf after losing to Collingwood in the prelim, and had only used the 1-5 model out of necessity in 17. Even Josh caddy played pseudo CHF at the time. Doubtful they would've beaten Geelong last year without 2 (of the best,) kpf's running around.

Seeing Fritsch manhandled by  mcgovern/barass goes to show having 1 true kpf leaves both the kpf AND the smalls exposed. A team like us especially needs to not let a no2 defender run around mopping up all long kick entries.

Edited by John Demonic
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, John Demonic said:

And the Tigers also acknowledged that they needed another kpf after losing to Collingwood in the prelim, and had only used the 1-5 model out of necessity in 17. Even Josh caddy played pseudo CHF at the time. Doubtful they would've beaten Geelong last year without 2 (of the best,) kpf's running around.

Seeing Fritsch manhandled by  mcgovern/barass goes to show having 1 true kpf leaves both the kpf AND the smalls exposed. A team like us especially needs to not let a no2 defender run around mopping up all long kick entries.

Yep agree we were "Rag Dolled" yet again, does the coach not learn anything!

I see Robbo thinks we will finish in the bottom 6. Hnmm If so we are in deep!

Now back to the topic at hand. Harley to create a dreamtime resurgence sooner than later ?

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Demons1858 said:

Waiting for Bennell to successfully complete practice matches/simulation work now that training can be up to 20. Until then he is still a high risk of re-injury and hasn't progresses any further than when he was a Freo trying to get back

Like he did last week

• Like 5
  • Haha 1

The thought occured to me that ALL players are going to be a significantly higher risk of soft tissue and joint injury upon return from the stand down. The European football zones tbat have restarted were reporting in the range of double or triple the usual injury rate. 

In a sense, every player should be preparing with as much caution as Bennell. In fact, others should probably  be turning to him to ask about his preparation. I'm also as happy as ever to have Burgess on board in a season which could be defined by injury. 

Come to think of it, given we can expect triple the injury rate for the first few rounds back, I'd argue that the restart is not the time to be 'trying out kids', given that the chances are likely to come quickly anyway.

I'll also be pretty glad for our good solid bodies in the midfield and the depth provided by the Hb/hf types who would already be expected to rotate there anyway.  Especially with the reserve options we have to slide into small/medium forward roles if we do need to rob that line to feed the meat grinder in the middle. Meanwhile, Jackson's versatility could pay off fast. 

But back to Bennell - I think he'll very quickly fit our needs in this weird season even more than he would have anyway.

• Like 3

According to Salem on SEN we had some match play last Saturday and Bennell completed the majority of it and pulled up fine. We did see some vision of him in match sim last week but from memory that was a midweek session. 

We have another match play scenario this Saturday and if all goes well we might at least see Harley putting his hand up for Carlton. 

• Like 3

7 minutes ago, Dee Zephyr said:

According to Salem on SEN we had some match play last Saturday and Bennell completed the majority of it and pulled up fine. We did see some vision of him in match sim last week but from memory that was a midweek session. 

We have another match play scenario this Saturday and if all goes well we might at least see Harley putting his hand up for Carlton. 

If true, this would be epic.

The world needs a good news story at the moment - we are literally being hit by one tres ordinaire event or story every hour of each day.

And Harley Bennell could be it. This is potentially the stuff of dreams - a broken but talented potential superstar is given lifeline by a classy (albeit an underdog, ridiculed) club whose glories are in the distant past - and greatness then results.

Make it happen world. At a minimum, it’ll be the next big thing on Netflix.

• Like 12
  • Haha 1

10 hours ago, Demons1858 said:

Waiting for Bennell to successfully complete practice matches/simulation work now that training can be up to 20. Until then he is still a high risk of re-injury and hasn't progresses any further than when he was a Freo trying to get back

Take it you didn’t see the highlights during the week of him competing in match sim 

• Like 1

Couldn't agree more Ron. A fit and raring to go HB will be one of biggest stories to come out of this weird season and will give us poor demented Dees's supporters some hope. Big Maxy on Fox tonight mentioned also a match simulation on Saturday and HB went well. That in itself is a plus as means he came up well from last weeks contact training/match drills and now seems to have put a good block of training in without issues. This guy can play and only hope he keeps training well with no hiccups. Everything crossed for him!!

• Like 2

2 hours ago, brendan said:

Take it you didn’t see the highlights during the week of him competing in match sim 

Thanks mate, just took a look. That's a step forward of sorts but from what you can see it was bruise free even in the context of  match simulation.

10 hours ago, Demons1858 said:

Thanks mate, just took a look. That's a step forward of sorts but from what you can see it was bruise free even in the context of  match simulation.

For the injury/issue that HB is coming back from, unless he was to have his calf stomped on or kicked (which would take out any player regardless), I don't think bruise free or otherwise is particularly relevant.  In the footage available, he is twisting, turning, accelerating/decelerating  and kicking at pretty much full pace.... all of the things that are likely to cause a recurrence of his calf issue.  The more of these sessions he can get through injury free, the stronger he will become.

• Like 8

I remember reading all the comments of opposition fans saying he won’t last the pre-season and that he’ll be back on the turps (or worse) in no time. The fact that he has knuckled down and done the hard work with his body (as well as I’m sure his mind) is a credit to him and the club. 

I’m cautious to get too excited about him because I know we’ve had history of things taking drastic turns but all you can hope is he keeps putting in the hours and we will all see reward on the field. 

• Like 4

8 hours ago, hardtack said:

For the injury/issue that HB is coming back from, unless he was to have his calf stomped on or kicked (which would take out any player regardless), I don't think bruise free or otherwise is particularly relevant.  In the footage available, he is twisting, turning, accelerating/decelerating  and kicking at pretty much full pace.... all of the things that are likely to cause a recurrence of his calf issue.  The more of these sessions he can get through injury free, the stronger he will become.

So serious question... Given that he still is yet to actually get on the park and play, Why and what has occured for him almost miraculously to be able to train almost at full throttle! What have we got that Freo Lacked in terms of Conditioning, Physios, Surgeons etc!

Am I missing something here??

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, picket fence said:

So serious question... Given that he still is yet to actually get on the park and play, Why and what has occured for him almost miraculously to be able to train almost at full throttle! What have we got that Freo Lacked in terms of Conditioning, Physios, Surgeons etc!

I'll leave that discussion to more educated minds than me re Bruekner, Burgess etc. But could one factor not just be time? Freo might've gotten him right if they'd stuck with it. If we'd taken HB back in 2014 or so we would've given up on him too already, and another club would be in the position we are in now, with him ready to play.

Edited by John Demonic
  • Like 2

15 minutes ago, picket fence said:

Possibly a matter of maturity. He’s married, a father and has family responsibilities. This is possibly his last chance at making the grade and resurrecting his career. 

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, Whispering_Jack said:

Possibly a matter of maturity. He’s married, a father and has family responsibilities. This is possibly his last chance at making the grade and resurrecting his career. 

So what didn't he do that he should of at Freo?? Or is it medical and conditioning staff are /were on a different page??

Stiil slightly mystifying! 

But glad he is tracking Beautifully!

29 minutes ago, John Demonic said:

I'll leave that discussion to more educated minds than me re Bruekner, Burgess etc. But could one factor not just be time? Freo might've gotten him right if they'd stuck with it. If we'd taken HB back in 2014 or so we would've given up on him too already, and another club would be in the position we are in now, with him ready to play.

My thoughts also. 

42 minutes ago, John Demonic said:

Surgery on calves, to remove a minor muscle that inflamed nerve. Great diagnosis and reasonably new or innovative surgery if I remember correctly. Hence he can now train well and get fit without major setback (so far... touch wood). 

Edited by Jock Strap
  • Like 5

48 minutes ago, picket fence said:

Err, perhaps the surgery he had to correct his problems worked.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, picket fence said:

Combination of double calf surgery earlier in the year and his new found inner peace due to fatherhood and home life stability.

• Like 2

The excitement is hard to contain and the Dees curse is getting me nervous but the man is actually getting in contests and tackling now

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1