Jump to content

  • Podcast:      

  • Podcast:      

WELCOME TO THE MELBOURNE FOOTBALL CLUB - HARLEY BENNELL


Tinks

Recommended Posts

21 minutes ago, george_on_the_outer said:

Channel 9 News has Ross Lyon commentating on why Harley is looking so good...." one word..Darren Burgess"

 

https://wwos.nine.com.au/afl/ross-lyon-confident-about-harley-bennell-melbourne-demons-return/3800b7de-c3bd-4c3c-a86b-91ead1f12a72

That's 2 words but should have been "one name". Seriously though, the whole medical and fitness turnover may be something we look back on in years to come and say " great decisions Melbourne"

  • Haha 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites


2 hours ago, picket fence said:

So serious question... Given that he still is yet to actually get on the park and play, Why and what has occured for him almost miraculously to be able to train almost at full throttle! What have we got that Freo Lacked in terms of Conditioning, Physios, Surgeons etc!

Am I missing something here??

Yes, the highly specialised Surgery he underwent.

Removing a part of the calf muscle strands group,  which were problematic.   Complete removal of one of those muscles,  from his legs.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

One thing I note about HB at the moment is that he is always training in leggings.  To me that suggests somewhere in between that he and the club are taking sensible no regrets precautions, but that no one is 100% confident in it yet either. 

The club keeps talking about building up enough of a base with him to put him on a sustainable path going forward, so I'm wondering how long can everyone be patient and resist selecting him if he keeps showing really good form on the track.  As some have suggested, full contact might not be any worse for HB's injury problems, but I think there is a huge difference between training drills/match simulation and the physical stresses of game day footy / match fit.

I continue to be optermistically hopeful this comes off long term for all parties.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Rodney (Balls) Grinter said:

One thing I note about HB at the moment is that he is always training in leggings.

You make a good point RG. I'm not 100% up to date on the benefits of compression apparel, but is there a rule preventing HB from playing games in them?

If that constant pressure applied to the calves even helps out 1%, why not wear them in games?

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, Demon Disciple said:

You make a good point RG. I'm not 100% up to date on the benefits of compression apparel, but is there a rule preventing HB from playing games in them?

If that constant pressure applied to the calves even helps out 1%, why not wear them in games?

Nat Fyfe wears an arm sleeve, can’t see what the difference is with wearing them on your leg/legs. 
 

cf1340825e7459324980b6b8485308d6a92d36bc

  • Like 8
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

It will be interesting to see some more footage. At present he's 'training the house down' by just being out there.

Is he actually doing things on the track that warrant the media attention or are they looking for a story in a desperately slow period?

Full credit to the club for taking a risk and the medical staff for getting him to this point, let's hope the last portion sees us reap the rewards for years to come

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

11 hours ago, picket fence said:

So serious question... Given that he still is yet to actually get on the park and play, Why and what has occured for him almost miraculously to be able to train almost at full throttle! What have we got that Freo Lacked in terms of Conditioning, Physios, Surgeons etc!

Am I missing something here??

Look I'm optimistic but it should be noted that he got up to play for Peel Thunder in the WAFL a number of times and broke down.  He has been this far before.

If he can sustain it at even 80% of his original capacity he'll be one of our best players.

  • Like 4
Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 hours ago, Demon Disciple said:

You make a good point RG. I'm not 100% up to date on the benefits of compression apparel, but is there a rule preventing HB from playing games in them?

If that constant pressure applied to the calves even helps out 1%, why not wear them in games?

Absolutely if they help physically or with his confidence (and are allowed) wear them. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, BW511 said:

It will be interesting to see some more footage. At present he's 'training the house down' by just being out there.

Is he actually doing things on the track that warrant the media attention or are they looking for a story in a desperately slow period?

Full credit to the club for taking a risk and the medical staff for getting him to this point, let's hope the last portion sees us reap the rewards for years to come

If you listen to player interviews they seem absolutely pumped in the way he's performing.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

17 minutes ago, loges said:

If you listen to player interviews they seem absolutely pumped in the way he's performing.

My interpretation of that is two fold:

1.  That the natural skills and footy nouse of HB stand out from the pack.  But he might only need to be 50% fit for that to be apparent;

2.  I think there is also an element of excitement and encouragement that he has made it back this far and I see part of the players being pumped in the way he's performing as being a form of moral support, encouragement and embrace from the playing group.

I'm not sure that I read it as him being ready to play Rd 2 necessarily, but I look forward to the point when the medical/fitness team pronounce when they all think he is at that point be that Rd 2 or a bit further down the track.

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 minutes ago, Rodney (Balls) Grinter said:

My interpretation of that is two fold:

1.  That the natural skills and footy nouse of HB stand out from the pack.  But he might only need to be 50% fit for that to be apparent;

2.  I think there is also an element of excitement and encouragement that he has made it back this far and I see part of the players being pumped in the way he's performing as being a form of moral support, encouragement and embrace from the playing group.

I'm not sure that I read it as him being ready to play Rd 2 necessarily, but I look forward to the point when the medical/fitness team pronounce when they all think he is at that point be that Rd 2 or a bit further down the track.

I am in the same boat. Regardless of how well Harley is doing, the directive would be to look after him at every opportunity

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 game in 3 years, might be a little rusty,  a player of his skill should adjust quicker than most, but I still would not be expecting a lot from him early and would not be surprised even if he were to be dropped or rested at times

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

10 hours ago, Nelo said:

I would just play him. What have we got to lose? Even if not fully fit, I would think he would be better than our 22nd player such as spargo or Bedford. 

If he's not fully fit, we have the long term physical well being of a potential A grade player to loose.  This isn't so much about what contribution HB could contribute to beating Carlton or not in his first game back. 

I think most MFC supporters have seen enough botched injury management over the years to know that winning a game or two along the way is less important than taking the patient path and doing what we can to guard against aggravating serious but manageable injury problems into those which become crippling long term chronic career ending ones.  This applies doubly to a player with the injury history and talent profile of HB.

Edited by Rodney (Balls) Grinter
  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Fifty-5 said:

Look I'm optimistic but it should be noted that he got up to play for Peel Thunder in the WAFL a number of times and broke down.  He has been this far before.

If he can sustain it at even 80% of his original capacity he'll be one of our best players.

correct. he has been in the position a few times and then broken down. Its whether those calves can take it over a period. and often players come back and do other 'compensatory' injuries like hamstrings which they always say are unrelated, but in effect are a secondary effect.

we can only wait and see if he can string a number of games together, at any level.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Robbie57 said:

Absolutely if they help physically or with his confidence (and are allowed) wear them. 

I'm pretty sure they're not allowed. 

In lower grades down to knee length is allowed, if they are skin coloured. Ive never seen an AFL player wear longer than that while playing, nor compression socks. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

56 minutes ago, Rodney (Balls) Grinter said:

If he's not fully fit, we have the long term physical well being of a potential A grade player to loose.  This isn't so much about what contribution HB could contribute to beating Carlton or not in his first game back. 

I think most MFC supporters have seen enough botched injury management over the years to know that winning a game or two along the way is less important than taking the patient path and doing what we can to guard against aggravating serious but manageable injury problems into those which become crippling long term chronic career ending ones.  This applies doubly to a player with the injury history and talent profile of HB.

Then perhaps Nelo's question should be rephrased to "What has he got to lose?"; after all, it is Bennell who is going to have to manage any such chronic injury after his football career is over.  Hopefully the MFC aren't quite so bloody minded.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

The danger lies in not tackling HB hard enough at training in fear he might be frail. If that is a possibility, then we are setting him, and us up to fail. Put jack Viney on him for a session or two.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Things I didn’t know about Harley

  • He won the Larke medal for the best player in the Australian U18 Champs. 
  • He was the #2 draft pick in his year one behind David Swallow and 51 spots ahead of Tom McDonald.
  • He was dropped for disciplinary issues on five separate occasions from the Gold Coast side. 
  • As a 19 yo came second behind Ablett in the Gold Coast B & F, averaging 24 possessions and more than a goal a game. 
  • He is only 27yo (I thought he was older) and, at least in theory, should be coming into the best footy of his life.

For a team desperately short of clean and highly skilled mids, who are also great kicks Harley will probably end up being our most important player within a few games. 

  • Thanks 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 6/3/2020 at 1:20 AM, Wrecker45 said:

HB will be the good news story of an otherwise [censored] season.

Vandenberg will sneak under the radar.

I know what you meant, but I’m guessing that’s the first time the words ‘Vandenberg’ and  ‘sneaking under the radar’ have ever appeared in the same sentence 

  • Haha 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

17 minutes ago, FarNorthernD said:

Things I didn’t know about Harley

  • He won the Larke medal for the best player in the Australian U18 Champs. 
  • He was the #2 draft pick in his year one behind David Swallow and 51 spots ahead of Tom McDonald.
  • He was dropped for disciplinary issues on five separate occasions from the Gold Coast side. 
  • As a 19 yo came second behind Ablett in the Gold Coast B & F, averaging 24 possessions and more than a goal a game. 
  • He is only 27yo (I thought he was older) and, at least in theory, should be coming into the best footy of his life.

For a team desperately short of clean and highly skilled mids, who are also great kicks Harley will probably end up being our most important player within a few games. 

HB's first few years on the GC list were nothing short of sensational.  HB and Dion Prestia were two of the players I would always have loved to have poached from GC and we all know what happened after Prestia went to the Tigers.  With all his injuries, his off feild indiscretions and the sheer time he has been effectively out of the game I think people have forgotten what a generational type of player he once looked like becoming.  There were very good reasons why both Freo and the MFC thought HB was worth taking a risk on.

Some of the irony in this is that GC picked up HB with picks that would probably have otherwise belonged to the MFC at the time.  Maybe this is Karma's way of righting past wrongs of the AFL?

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, Mickey said:

I'm pretty sure they're not allowed. 

In lower grades down to knee length is allowed, if they are skin coloured. Ive never seen an AFL player wear longer than that while playing, nor compression socks. 

Jason McCartney did.

Jason McCartney Bail bombings comeback: Mazda Tough Tale | Fox Sports

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

  • Match Previews, Reports & Articles  

    CAT SKINNING by George On The Outer

    When they defeated the Geelong Cats in the 2021 AFL Preliminary Final on Friday night in Perth, Melbourne proved that there is more than one way to skin those cats.  They did it in the ruck and in the middle, they did it in the forward line, they did it in defence and around the ground, but importantly, each and every player a Demon guernsey spent his night at Optus Stadium skinning an opponent. Following the after-the-siren win against Geelong in Round 23, there was an expectation of

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Match Reports

    THE POINTY END by The Oracle

    The AFL’s two oldest clubs, Melbourne and Geelong, face off on Friday evening in a sudden death Preliminary Final. It’s a game that promises plenty in terms of fascination and intrigue as a result of the rivalry that’s been building between the teams over recent encounters that have been tight struggles which have gone to the wire with two of them decided by after-the-siren goals. The added touch of mystery attached to this week’s meeting comes by virtue of the fact that it’s going to take

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Match Previews

    THE VFL YEAR THAT NEVER WAS by KC from Casey

    The rising case numbers and the continuing lockdowns in Victoria and NSW spelled doom for the 2021 VFL season which went through a slow, painful demise before its recent official cancellation. After weeks of indecision, the AFL decided to pull the plug on the season with the 10-0 Bulldogs recognised as minor premier, but without a premiership cup and without awarding the J.J. Liston Medal for the best and fairest VFL player. It was somewhat fortuitous for the integrity of the competition t

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Casey Articles

    TAMING THE LIONS by George On The Outer

    With nine finals debutants in the side, the Melbourne Football Club had a daunting assignment ahead of it in the First Qualifying Final — to overcome the competition’s highest scoring side, the Brisbane Lions. In the end, the Demons accomplished the task by putting the bite on their opponents on their way to taming the Lions and recording a 33 point win that propelled them into one the two Preliminary Finals of 2021.   It was one of those debutants, Luke Jackson, who put the bite in more

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Match Reports

    RETURN TO NEVERLAND by Whispering Jack

    The greatest Demon A HIGHWAY OF DEMONS by Whispering Jack CHAPTER SIXTEEN - RETURN TO NEVERLAND  I have a six year old grandson who recently took up the family tradition of following the Demons. He had his first taste of the game a few years ago when he went to the “G” with his parents to watch the 107-point massacre of Carlton and he went to another game in the following season which was also a W for the Dees. But his appetite for the club has grown exponentially this year and wh

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Special Features 13

    METAMORPHOSIS by Whispering Jack

    I’ve always believed that when the home and away matches come to an end, the football season takes on a completely different shape and character. During the regular season, each team’s goals progress as the weeks pass and if you’re good enough to survive and make the grade, the situation changes. The comparison can be made with the life cycle of a butterfly going through stages from egg to larva to caterpillar, cocoon and in the end to a bright and colourful creature that emerges from darkness i

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Match Previews

    STEALING THE CATS’ CREAM by George On The Outer

    They were leading by 44 points well into the third quarter of a game to decide the minor premier, having kicked nine unanswered goals. The Cats were about to lap up their bowl of cream, dreaming of next week but the Demons led by Max Gawn had other ideas. In a stunning finish, they stole the game from under them to claim the plaudits as best team and top of ladder position. In a remarkable game, it all came down to Max having to kick the winning goal after the final siren, something which s

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Match Reports

    SKIN THE CATS by Whispering Jack

    The task ahead for the Demons as they wend their way down the Princes Freeway to Geelong on Saturday night will be to skin the Cats. For them to come away with the points from this game would mark an historic occasion for the club as it will finish on top of the ladder for the first time since its last premiership year, 1964. And it was in that year, that a trip to Corio Bay to meet the reigning premiers in Round 12, was one of the catalysts for Melbourne’s surge to the flag. It was a top o

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Match Previews

    REACH FOR THE STARS by George on the Outer

    It was a game of great significance for the Melbourne Football Club. A win would see them keep top spot on the ladder with one round remaining. To achieve top place in the Round for Reach when we are all inspired to “Be Like Jim” and reach for the stars was a great way of honouring one of our heroes. All the better given that it was done by way of an emphatic 41 point win against Adelaide! It is worth remembering that, but for the umpiring mistake in the previous encounter with the Crows, t

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Match Reports

    TICKETS PLEASE by The Oracle

    A lot of water has passed under Princes Bridge in the five years since Melbourne last met Adelaide on the MCG. The Crows were riding high at the time while the Demons were mid-table and scrambling for a win to stay in the race for the finals. The 30,000 fans who had tickets to the game were thoroughly entertained by a close, high scoring affair that ended in tears for fans of the home team. Not even an eight-goal second term could help them.   Times have changed.    In the fi

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Match Previews

    ELECTRIFYING by George On The Outer

    What more can they throw at the Demons of 2021? Covid restrictions, hubs, aircraft circling between airports before landing for games and now a match stopped for 30 minutes to give a flagging opponent its second wind? To date, none of those distractions has swayed the team from their winning objectives. The game against West Coast in Perth can be marked on their report card as another positive outcome after yet another test. There was much at stake for both sides.  Melbourne had t

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Match Reports

    LONG AGO AND FAR AWAY by Whispering Jack

    When the combatants that are due to face off on Monday night at Optus Stadium last met, it was 11 days after the World Health Organization had declared the Covid19 outbreak a global pandemic. In Australia, the first cases had just come to light, including visiting US actors Tom Hanks and wife Rita Wilson, the toilet paper panic was in full flight and the world was starting to reel in anticipation of impending disaster. Half an hour before this last game of the opening round was due to comme

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Match Previews

  • Tell a friend

    Love Demonland? Tell a friend!

×
×
  • Create New...