I’ve watched 5 decades of failure!

Demonsone

I've been actively following the Dees since 1968.

As I posted on another thread, I cannot see the Demons winning another flag. Richmond are obviously a great side, top 2. But they can simply top up with the best forward in the game, Lynch. He pulled them over the line last night. Players like him simply won't come to MFC.

We are able to recruit some OK players ... eg. May/Lever. But not players like Lynch who are genuine match winners.

Conversely, we lose players like Howe. Now All Australia (I think). 

9 hours ago, Meggs said:

So goodwindees who are these ten Tiger A-graders?

Dusty, Jack R, Rance, Cotchin, Edwards and (Deledio) used to be their recognised big 6.  So 5 more.  Definitely would include Lynch, Houli and Grimes (now AA).   Last 2 are a toss up, maybe Prestia and Vlaustuin.   Tiges also have a strong seconds team.

I guess you are including Max and Clarry for us and then a huge gap to our Bs and Cs etc.  So who are our B-graders getting all the money ???  Lever, May...

Oliver is not an A-grader. 

He pops over and visits A-Grade City every once in a while, but he doesn’t live there. 

Its times like this when all your family are tiges supporters that makes it pretty tough to be positive about footy. Almost regret them not doing a good enough job to make sure I followed them back in the early 00s...

1 hour ago, Nelo said:

Unfortunately none of my kids want to follow Melbourne. 

Either do my kids.
Even though they do.
Same for me really.
Brainwashed from birth by the old man.
The tradition continues .......

• Like 1

Let's face it most of us have become so used to ineptitude we would be uncomfortable with success.

You have to have an alternative universe if you support MFC.

Go Storm.

I used to have the Redskins in NFL but for the last 20 years they have been in MFC class. Very similar demise in fact including saviour coaches and players.

1 hour ago, Diamond_Jim said:

Let's face it most of us have become so used to ineptitude we would be uncomfortable with success.

Well I do find it far less stressful when not playing finals.

• Haha 2

I did know a keen MFC fan who recently passed away. Born in 65 and has two adult children. Lived his whole life without experiencing success. His kids don’t follow MFC. 

Edited by america de cali
  • Sad 1

16 minutes ago, america de cali said:

I did know a keen MFC who recently passed away. Born in 65 and has two adult children. Lived his whole life without experiencing success. His kids don’t follow MFC. 

With respect, that belongs with...

”For sale. Baby shoes. Never worn.”

28 minutes ago, Fork 'em said:

Well I do find it far less stressful when not playing finals.

It’s stressful because it’s like riding up in a hot air balloon knowing that it’s going to deflate and come plunging down to earth.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, bingers said:

I've been actively following the Dees since 1968.

As I posted on another thread, I cannot see the Demons winning another flag. Richmond are obviously a great side, top 2. But they can simply top up with the best forward in the game, Lynch. He pulled them over the line last night. Players like him simply won't come to MFC.

We are able to recruit some OK players ... eg. May/Lever. But not players like Lynch who are genuine match winners.

Conversely, we lose players like Howe. Now All Australia (I think). 

Top players like Lynch are attracted to premiership success, tigers prior to the flag win were not a destination club & were are mess for 35 years eating their own & almost did after 2016 again. To attract top talent you need to be successful or pay way overs e.g. Hill to the saints 900K as reported. 

3 minutes ago, Demonsone said:

Top players like Lynch are attracted to premiership success, tigers prior to the flag win were not a destination club & were are mess for 35 years eating their own & almost did after 2016 again. To attract top talent you need to be successful or pay way overs e.g. Hill to the saints 900K as reported. 

You have to also employ Top people off field. 

Neil Balme and Brendan Gale have made a huge difference in that respect 

• Like 3
  • Love 1

35 minutes ago, america de cali said:

It’s stressful because it’s like riding up in a hot air balloon knowing that it’s going to deflate and come plunging down to earth.

It's also worse watching butchered disposal and poor decision making when in finals.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Demonsone said:

I wonder what/how Pert would thinking or analysing how to handle members/supporters & a club that hasn't seen the ultimate success & played in only 2 GF in last 55yrs? How do you strip away so many decade of layers of failure & misery?

You have to be brutal and head hunt the best people. Easy to say I know, but it is the only way. 

How many of our best 22 would have beaten Richmond last night? That is where I would start. 

Recruiting and Trading kicks in hard in about 9 days

15 minutes ago, Sir Why You Little said:

You have to be brutal and head hunt the best people. Easy to say I know, but it is the only way. 

How many of our best 22 would have beaten Richmond last night? That is where I would start. 

Recruiting and Trading kicks in hard in about 9 days

Agree need right people around Goodwin who have tasted success, target Hawks assistants...

Not many of our best 22 would based on 2019....Gawn

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Demonsone said:

Agree need right people around Goodwin who have tasted success, target Hawks assistants...

Not many of our best 22 would based on 2019....Gawn

Pert will know what we need, we have to be relentless in getting the right people. It will take 2-3 years I believe 

This year was completely wasted sadly

13 minutes ago, Bring-Back-Powell said:

We should all get together one day and pull out the 1989 VHS copy of the Melbourne V Geelong Panasonic Cup triumph.

Sadly that might be the only taste of success we’ll ever see with this mob.

Completely forgot about that one. My memory is a blank.

22 minutes ago, Bring-Back-Powell said:

We should all get together one day and pull out the 1989 VHS copy of the Melbourne V Geelong Panasonic Cup triumph.

Sadly that might be the only taste of success we’ll ever see with this mob.

Lets not forget the 1987 night Grand final against Essendon.

• Like 1