Jack Viney

doug williams

JV doesn't isn't doing much. He gets to the ball often enough but doesn't do a lot with it when he does.He's a scrapper, no doubt but I don't know that he has much impact on proceedings.

What does he bring to this team? Is he carrying the foot injury? Can he be a more productive contributor?  Happy to hear what you all have to say.

He is not big enough, strong enough, fast enough or clever enough to play the inside game that he thinks he should or that is expected of him.

Coaches please find him a role that matches his endeavour, effort and skill set. Perhaps defensive HFF, outside runner or tagger.

Too committed and too valuable to waste.

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, doug williams said:

JV doesn't isn't doing much. He gets to the ball often enough but doesn't do a lot with it when he does.He's a scrapper, no doubt but I don't know that he has much impact on proceedings.

What does he bring to this team? Is he carrying the foot injury? Can he be a more productive contributor?  Happy to hear what you all have to say.

3 minutes ago, tiers said:

He is not big enough, strong enough, fast enough or clever enough to play the inside game that he thinks he should or that is expected of him.

Coaches please find him a role that matches his endeavour, effort and skill set. Perhaps defensive HFF, outside runner or tagger.

Too committed and too valuable to waste.

It's easy to forget how dominant Viney has been in big games over the past few seasons. Our big win over WCE where TMac kicked winning goal right before siren and even the finals last year. He will be better for this year and I reckon he will dominate next year. 

• Like 13

As much as I hate to say it...

Undersized, not a great overhead mark, slow for his size, average kick, no penetration or distance in kick, doesn't kick goals... Not much going for him apart from his tenacious attack on the footy but that only gets you so far.

• Like 1

Had a less than great couple of years after the major injury interruption which appears to have kept on pestering him through 2018 and 2019.

Personally I still rate him, especially because he is a player who has proven in the past that he has an instinct for hunting opponents to get a tackle rather than just waving his arms at whoever comes near.

Real question marks on him right now but I am confident of his resurgence. (touching wood regarding any further injury problems or complications).

I do like the idea of using him a bit as a trouble-maker in the forward line. He has a deceptively good first few steps of acceleration and I'm sure would make a few opposition defenders a little nervous.

• Like 5

2 minutes ago, Little Goffy said:

Had a less than great couple of years after the major injury interruption which appears to have kept on pestering him through 2018 and 2019.

Personally I still rate him, especially because he is a player who has proven in the past that he has an instinct for hunting opponents to get a tackle rather than just waving his arms at whoever comes near.

Real question marks on him right now but I am confident of his resurgence. (touching wood regarding any further injury problems or complications).

I do like the idea of using him a bit as a trouble-maker in the forward line. He has a deceptively good first few steps of acceleration and I'm sure would make a few opposition defenders a little nervous.

That’s what no pre season does to ya. He and many others just haven’t got going. 

2 years ago before the foot blew up we were talking about him winning the Brownlow. He was influential, tough and racking them up. The final wins we had last year demonstrated how important he is when in form. Let’s wait and see after he gets a full preseason in and then judge him. 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

I think a combination of a loss of power, (presuming his foot still isn't right) and the opposition knowing how he plays means he's getting tackled a lot more with (and without) the ball.  I like the idea of trialling him as a small forward.  He will create turnovers. 

I remember his final against the Hawks last year with  27 disposals and 8 clearances as vintage Viney.  He's as tough and competitive as they come,  he will be more disappointed than any posters on here about his form this year.  He'll be back.

Edited by grazman
  • Like 5

10 minutes ago, Megatron said:

That’s what no pre season does to ya. He and many others just haven’t got going. 

2 years ago before the foot blew up we were talking about him winning the Brownlow. He was influential, tough and racking them up. The final wins we had last year demonstrated how important he is when in form. Let’s wait and see after he gets a full preseason in and then judge him. 

No pre-season plus an ongoing (NQR) foot injury?

Might explain the glass ceiling this season.

If not i would expect him to be somewhere back to his 2018 form in 2020 but he needs to find some evasive agility not just straight line power to be a permanent inside mid as well as better finishing skills to deliver i50.

Add those two bows and he could win the Bluey.  Don't and he may end up being just another reasonable B grader.

Tracc is slowly overtaking all as the best inside/outside mid now.  I think 2020 under Burgess will see some real gains and not just with Tracc.

The game.of AFL is all about burst speed/agility to escape congestion/opponent and so many of our guys just don't have this like many opp players do.  Whether it's the players themselves (recruiting) or the way they were groomed under Misson i have no idea.  Maybe a fail at both ends.

Big fix needed here (among a myriad of other factors) or we will continue to dead cat bounce around the bottom 6 positions.

Edited by Rusty Nails
  • Like 2

Rated as the single worst kick inside 50 in the league.

Makes selfish decisions ie - coming back from injury.

Haven't seen him once give meaningful direction to team mates nor read the flow of the game and make a change when needed.

BuT hE bLeEds ReD ANd BlUe...

• Like 3

Should be in conversation for trading. Unfortunately he is one inside midfielder from being made redundant like Tyson was. Get value while we can as Viney can’t play any other position.

Will be Wines 2.0 come next year and need to rely on injuries to make the team 

Edited by olisik

Think Gawn and Oliver more entitled to leadership roles over past two years.

Such action would also see Jack able to concentrate solely on getting his game back to scratch.

12 minutes ago, Sorry kids said:

Needs to stop having his Dad at work. Grow up.

Huh... did Jack employ his Dad?

Did Todd get his son the gig?

Is the need to grow up referring to the poster?

• Like 2

1 hour ago, grazman said:

I think a combination of a loss of power, (presuming his foot still isn't right) and the opposition knowing how he plays means he's getting tackled a lot more with (and without) the ball.  I like the idea of trialling him as a small forward.  He will create turnovers. 

I remember his final against the Hawks last year with  27 disposals and 8 clearances as vintage Viney.  He's as tough and competitive as they come,  he will be more disappointed than any posters on here about his form this year.  He'll be back.

He proved in finals last year that he still has what he had pre foot injury. That he's gotten through this season thus far bodes well for next year. 

1 hour ago, Lord Nev said:

Rated as the single worst kick inside 50 in the league.

Makes selfish decisions ie - coming back from injury.

Haven't seen him once give meaningful direction to team mates nor read the flow of the game and make a change when needed.

BuT hE bLeEds ReD ANd BlUe...

Not a captains [censored]. Struggles to even string together a decent sentence when doing a press conference.

Overrated.

• Like 1

he deliberately slimmed down over the break, so as to cover the ground better. but in doing so, seems to have lost his one wood that was his brute power in the contest. needs to realise that was his strength and get back to it. doesn't have the skills to be anything else unfortunately.

Not sure how you trade the son of a fixture riveted to the wall of the back enclave.

Good luck there

• Like 2