Wines Unsure of Contract

2 minutes ago, Petraccattack said:

If we get Wines we are going 25-0 next season.   This is not hyperbole.

We would have quite literally the greatest midfield ever assembled. 

Voss, Black, Akermanis, Lappin, Power, Headland. We are not even close to that.

Judd, Cousins, Kerr, Embley. Or that.

If you swap Wines for Fyfe, Martin or Dangerfield then you might get a seat at the table.

I think Wines is just talking out loud at the moment, I don't think there is any chance he will leave Port.

He is musing over his possibilities but I'd say he will sign on the dotted line when he stops, he hasn't actually said he wants to leave.

• Like 1

Sorry should have clarified, given the talent we have and the signings we would be looking to re-sign over the next 12-24 months, and what it would cost us to get Wines we would probably look to offload some fringe or declining players to clear some $ space. I’m thinking people like Pedo, Tyson. Maybe Garlett if he can’t break back into the team.

2 minutes ago, Wiseblood said:

Dare I say it, but I don't think we need Wines.  We have enough tough, contested ball winning type players.

I'd rather Gaff as he adds to our outside run and carry that would really make us an elite side.

Not knowing their exact situations, can we get both? We will need another in and under once El Capitan Jones finishes up?

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, —coach— said:

Not knowing their exact situations, can we get both? We will need another in and under once El Capitan Jones finishes up?

I doubt it.  I think we've got room, but not that much room, unless we let someone like Brayshaw go.  

I'm not convinced Wines wants out, though.  Give it a few weeks and he'll have signed a new deal with Port.  Gaff is the one who I think we can pry out of West Coast.

• Angry 1

Just now, Wiseblood said:

I doubt it.  I think we've got room, but not that much room, unless we let someone like Brayshaw go.  

I'm not convinced Wines wants out, though.  Give it a few weeks and he'll have signed a new deal with Port.  Gaff is the one who I think we can pry out of West Coast.

Fair enough

28 minutes ago, thesleepinggiant said:

I know we might be looking at Gaff but i reckon we are up to our necks in this one just quietly

Geez, I hope your right 'tslpg'.   and happy to do the trades to get it done.

I know we want gut run, but we are currently growing our own.

I'm NOT looking just at 2018-19... but for the next 8 Yrs. 

Lets get Wines over, and just get it done.  Now.

11 minutes ago, timbo said:

I am only new to these boards and these little faces peppering comments have me both in mirth and mystified.

Prithee, what is their genesis?

(I get the roos crazy eyes one)

Bit of a running joke - I added Roos to the emoticon list (the smilies) at some point during his tenure because people kept posting that pick whenever he made a decision. We added PJ a bit later and at some point Mahoney snuck in there too. Just a bit of a laugh.

• Like 6

15 minutes ago, timbo said:

I am only new to these boards and these little faces peppering comments have me both in mirth and mystified.

Prithee, what is their genesis?

(I get the roos crazy eyes one)

I think in this instance the poster was positing that PJ and Josh will get their man.

In other instances it's just a bit of fun after a decade of doom and gloom.

4 minutes ago, —coach— said:

I'd prefer Wines over Gaff, if it was a choice.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Demonland said:

I think in this instance the poster was positing that PJ and Josh will get their man.

In other instances it's just a bit of fun after a decade of doom and gloom.

I wasn’t alluding to anything, just having some fun. I doubt we’d be chasing Wines or actually need him anyway.

6 minutes ago, SFebey said:

I wasn’t alluding to anything, just having some fun. I doubt we’d be chasing Wines or actually need him anyway.

every club needs Wines.

We can fit him in somehow, before the pies, Hawks, bummers or blues work him into their lists.

Josh Mahn,,,, do your best work, and get Oli onto the D's List..........................................................................................................

Gaff adds outside run while Wines is another in and under. I'll take whoever is cheaper thanks. 

Also if we need cap room isn't Vince and Pedo on their last legs? Also Jeffy isn't going to want to sit in the reserves, maybe a trade to Freo. (We can say it's Jesse Hogan and do a no return to sender)

• Haha 1

I'd love Wines, but with Viney, Oliver, Petracca and Brayshaw I think we're better off spending resources elsewhere. 

Sounds to me like he's stalling his contract because teams like Essendon surely and maybe Carl, Haw, North and St Kilda have all offered up big dollars.

• Like 2

38 minutes ago, Dante said:

I think Wines is just talking out loud at the moment, I don't think there is any chance he will leave Port.

He is musing over his possibilities but I'd say he will sign on the dotted line when he stops, he hasn't actually said he wants to leave.

He must know what he is saying, "I am open to offers".

1 minute ago, DeeSpencer said:

I'd love Wines, but with Viney, Oliver, Petracca and Brayshaw I think we're better off spending resources elsewhere. 

Sounds to me like he's stalling his contract because teams like Essendon surely and maybe Carl, Haw, North and St Kilda have all offered up big dollars.

I don't think we need Gaff as much as we all thought we did, last year.

Our young mids are starting to grow their engines, and run. 

Stretch is running hard and creating, and just needs that breakout game in the seniors.

Hunt likewise needs to learn to adjust his mind.

Viney, Oliver, Petracca and Brayshaw are all different to Wines. I think they compliment one another's abilities.

No one is an Oliver. 

Certainly Brayshaw is not an Wines. very different.