Match preview and team selection - Round 4

Demonland

14 hours ago, Wiseblood said:

I said both players wouldn't be dropped.  I'm not sure what you're missing here, Pates.

Lol sorry misread what you were saying, thought you were saying they were on the chopping block. :P

• Like 1

Man I'm getting fired up for sunday. A win and dare I say a big win, will really fire up the team and us long suffering supporters.  The build up to the Tigers game would be epic!

Carn the Dees!!  get it done

14 hours ago, TeamPlayedFine39 said:

I really rate Tyson and he was excellent in 2016 when we rolled a top of the table Hawthorn.  While I think Brayshaw will be a very good player, he’s not at Tyson’s level yet, so this inclusion is a net loss for me.

Hannan’s inclusion is interesting  and seeing his name along side Fritsch on the extended bench is going to be a common problem for the match committee.

I predict just the one change though.

Tyson's 'getting' of the ball will be missed; it is a shame that he is ill this week. With a strengthening midfield array, there will be some considerable assistance and support for Brayshaw's game, nearby and 'rolling' forward with an emphasis on teamwork and set-up. It should be a good result in this part of the game. 

• Like 2

38 minutes ago, Yokozuna said:

Cheers. 

Good mail, but just bad spelling and checking of my own writing!!

If your mail is consistently on any spelling / language will do Yoko.  Even Japanese!

19 minutes ago, DubDee said:

Man I'm getting fired up for sunday. A win and dare I say a big win, will really fire up the team and us long suffering supporters.  The build up to the Tigers game would be epic!

Carn the Dees!!  get it done

Dub you do know the old footy cliche I hope !?? 

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Jaded said:

Agreed. I think we need to give Pedo credit where it’s due. He was very good for us last year in very bad injury circumstances where we lost not 1 but 2 rucks. He is much better around the ground than as a stay at home forward where he is not tall enough or agile enough to really hurt you. He is pretty good overhead. 

With Gawn absolutely dominating, there is simply no need for Pedo, and while TMac is injured I would like Weids to be given a run of 3-4 games and see where he’s at. It’ll give us another target that will allow Hogan to play more midfield minutes, and it will give him a taste of AFL level again. Plus he can pinch hit in the ruck, a much better option than Harmes! 

Good rationale, Jaded. Much ado about team balance and combined avenues. 

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Jaded said:

Agreed. I think we need to give Pedo credit where it’s due. He was very good for us last year in very bad injury circumstances where we lost not 1 but 2 rucks. He is much better around the ground than as a stay at home forward where he is not tall enough or agile enough to really hurt you. He is pretty good overhead. 

With Gawn absolutely dominating, there is simply no need for Pedo, and while TMac is injured I would like Weids to be given a run of 3-4 games and see where he’s at. It’ll give us another target that will allow Hogan to play more midfield minutes, and it will give him a taste of AFL level again. Plus he can pinch hit in the ruck, a much better option than Harmes! 

Very nice also Jaded.  I'm with you on all those aspects.  Imagine if we can get Weids into some sort of AFL form AND have Pedders chomping at selection in the background as depth if Hulk/Maxy get suspended or something (Lucifer forbid!!).

Wont be this week though by the looks of it.  Another look at our VFL squad against a better opponent won't hurt this week anyway.  Will certainly be a better indicator of form if those performing can put in two big ones in a row.

Edited by Rusty Nails

6 minutes ago, Wiseblood said:

I think Jack Fitzpatrick would be disappointed not to have his name somewhere on that plate! 

We haven't traded with Hawthorn much, Lewis is the first player to play for Hawthorn and then Melbourne.

The pick we got for Cheney we used on Tom McDonald, handy upgrade.

• Like 5

29 minutes ago, Clint Bizkit said:

This week the two teams will be playing for the Cheney-Lewis Plate.

b88678877z1_20170404132342_000glaipvud2-

Fitting that the Lewis is lying on the ground in the Melbourne photo!

Hawthorn have taken quite a few of our offcuts over the years. Paul Johnson is another.

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

13 minutes ago, Nasher said:

Fitting that the Lewis is lying on the ground in the Melbourne photo!

Hawthorn have taken quite a few of our offcuts over the years. Paul Johnson is another.

His face says “I’ve made a horrible mistake. Should have gone with Hodgy where nobody can see my rapid decline”

15 hours ago, DubDee said:

I’d have Weed in for Tyson. I reckon we need more height up forward with hogan playing midfield minutes. 

ANB, melk, Lewis etc can all take more midfield time to cover Tyson. Play jones inside all game. 

Gus in next week if he is in the best for casey

Dub, I like your thinking. This all makes perfect sense to me. 

• Like 2

Brayshaw in and dominates, cements his spot in the best 22 and rapidly becomes one of the best young players in the Comp. The rest of the competition starts to cry bloody murder that brayshaw, Oliver, Petracca and hogan are in the same side.

That’s not too much of a stretch is it?

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Cards13 said:

That still makes me shake my head.

Pretty straight forward really.

Ryan Ferguson didn't want to waste away his career at an under-performing minnow like Hawthorn.

• Like 3

18 hours ago, Jaded said:

Pedersen polled 3 votes against St Kilda in round 21 and 1 vote vs Brisbane in round 22 last year. Both these games were with Gawn in the side and Hogan played against Brisbane.

He hasn't set the world on fire this year in the AFL, but there is no doubt he was unlucky to be dropped IMO. (Especially given the wet conditions in round 2.) I am not advocating to bring him back this week, but I wouldn't see it as a bad move either given Hogan is our only key forward and he is pushing very high up the ground.

4 minutes ago, grey wolf said:

I reckon they’ll go for Stretch to replace Tyson on the wing and Brayshaw if Salem can’t come up (the sooty oystercatcher says he is okay after the concussion issue against Geelong but he has joined the Viney TMac duo with a hotspot on his foot).

Say what now???