JLT 2 vs. St. Kilda

Wiseblood

41 minutes ago, stevethemanjordan said:

I can only assume that you believe the groin exists somewhere above the waist?

Never assume. You should know that...:)

• Like 1

1 hour ago, DeeSpencer said:

If Bruce, McCartin and Membrey all play then it tests our match ups if we don't play Frost - with Wagner, Hibberd or Hunt playing on Membrey. Might test Lever's ability to balance attacking and defending at CHB. Oscar will be FB and so probably spend most of the time on McCartin. I believe they played against each other in under 18's so it's a good test again. A lot of McCartin's game still looks below AFL standard but his ability to clunk a big pack mark is very good. So that's a good test for Oscar who needs to be more consistent in big aerial contests.

Billings (if fit), Gresham and a new kid in Hunter Clark actually provide the Saints midfield/forward line with some polish. They were rusty as could be against Carlton but could improve quickly and have a lot more quality than North did against us.

Their midfield depth is solid as well. Gawn is really the advantage around the packs. 

Their biggest weaknesses are isolating their defenders and then pressuring them with the ball and forcing skill errors. It should be a good test of Hogan/T Mc etc. ability to work together and for our pressure game plan.

Key backs will be OMac, Lever and Hibbo. Frost only plays if OMac or Lever is Injured.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Grimes Times said:

Key backs will be OMac, Lever and Hibbo. Frost only plays if OMac or Lever is Injured.

Would also like to see Pedo do a defensive number and run off that muppet McMuffin.  

• Haha 1

In: N.Jetta, J.Garlett, D.Tyson, S.Frost
Out: J.Lewis (Injured), A.Neal-Bullen (rested)

Kent, Spargo, Keilty and JKH are emergencies.   Viney / Lewis and ANB are notable absentees.   Seems to be a very straight bat approach in the lead-up to round 1.   Wagner and Stretch being given every opportunity to grab a spot.

Edited by Copuchas

Melbourne v St Kilda at Casey Fields, 7.05pm AEDT

MELBOURNE

B: J.Wagner, O.McDonald, M.Hibberd
HB: J.Hunt, J.Lever, N.Jetta
C: C.Salem, C.Petracca, B.Stretch
HF: J.Garlett, C.Pedersen, J.Melksham
F: B.Fritsch, J.Hogan, M.Hannan
Foll: M.Gawn, C.Oliver, N.Jones
I/C: J.Harmes, A.Brayshaw, D.Tyson, S.Frost, C.Maynard, B.Vince, T.McDonald, T.Bugg                

Emerg: C.Spargo, D.Kent, J.Kennedy Harris, D.Keilty                        

In: N.Jetta, J.Garlett, D.Tyson, S.Frost
Out: J.Lewis (Injured), A.Neal-Bullen (rested)

Notable absentees: Jack Viney, Jordan Lewis, Alex Neal-Bullen,

Note that Melbourne is listed as four ins/two outs as 24 players took the field in its last JLT match v North Melbourne.

ST KILDA

B: J.Geary, N.Brown, D.Roberton
HB: J.Webster, J.Carlisle, S.Savage
C: J.Newnes, D.Armitage, J.Sinclair
HF: J.Billings, P.McCartin, J.Steele
F: J.Gresham, T.Membrey, J.Bruce
Foll: T.Hickey, S.Ross, J.Steven
I/C: L.Dunstan, B.Acres, K.Stevens, M.Weller, S.Gilbert, N.Coffield, H.Clark, R.Marshall                

Emerg: J.Lonie, N.Wright, B.White, L.Austin                          

In: J.Billings, J.Bruce, T.Hickey, K.Stevens
Out: B.Long, B.Longer (injured), J.Lonie, N.Wright 

Notable absentees: Billy Longer, Jack Lonie, Josh Battle, Hugh Goddard

• Like 1

It seems as though Tom McD is out of the team for the JLT match against the Saints.

Not too keen on some match-ups once the published teams were issued. ANB will be missed, too.

Interesting to see Pedo named at CHF and Clarrie as a ruck rover at the start. Very strong bench so I hope that they use it well.

Other than some minor things in my mind, we should do well against the Saints. Not sure if Lever can hold down the CHB role but he has good support about him from some of our backmen, it appears.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Deemania since 56 said:

It seems as though Tom McD is out of the team for the JLT match against the Saints.

Not too keen on some match-ups once the published teams were issued. ANB will be missed, too.

Interesting to see Pedo named at CHF and Clarrie as a ruck rover at the start. Very strong bench so I hope that they use it well.

Other than some minor things in my mind, we should do well against the Saints. Not sure if Lever can hold down the CHB role but he has good support about him from some of our backmen, it appears.

He's named on the bench.

Nothing too surprising about the selections.  Lewis and ANB were always going to miss, while getting Garlett, Jetta and Tyson back into the side is a big positive.  Viney would have been great but I think not taking a risk with him is a good idea.

The Saints look like they are going in at pretty much full strength so I think that's a positive as well.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Wiseblood said:

Nothing too surprising about the selections.  Lewis and ANB were always going to miss, while getting Garlett, Jetta and Tyson back into the side is a big positive.  Viney would have been great but I think not taking a risk with him is a good idea.

The Saints look like they are going in at pretty much full strength so I think that's a positive as well.

You are probably correct, Wiseblood. Viney cannot be risked just yet. It will be a good test for us if the Saints come to play - they have a 'nearly full' team on paper. If we have a good victory, it will instil confidence in our younger brigade. Very keen to check out Spargo if he gets a run and the current capacity of Kent, whom I have always liked as a tough nut with poise. 

Foxtel, @ 7pm EST Thursday https://www.foxtel.com.au/tv-guide/Live-JLT-Series-Melbourne-v-St-Kilda/92290605

Got it booked for two avid fans, all to ourselves. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Maybe Jetta trained the other day. I probably missed him!

I'd play the best 22 as part of a team of 24 with a little extra rest and have Frost, Pedda, Maynard and one other play half each. 

Full strength Saints is good to see. Will be a good test.

3 hours ago, DeeSpencer said:

If Bruce, McCartin and Membrey all play then it tests our match ups if we don't play Frost - with Wagner, Hibberd or Hunt playing on Membrey.

I'm not sure if you're aware that Membrey only stands at 188cm. Wagner is 189cm, Hunt is 187 cm and Hibberd is 186.

Height is simply a non-issue but it seems to be the opposite on here at times.

One reason it's a non-issue is because of the way in which we defend as a side. We are constantly zoning dangerous space and tend to press up the ground in a very aggressive formation. Our entire backline unit relies on unrelenting defensive pressure from our half-forwards and midfielders so that opposition entries are both limited and/or of poor quality.

Any forward-line will be a threat if our system breaks down further up the field. This is hardly news to many.

I don't understand your comments. Frost may well get a run, although I wouldn't bet on it. I reckon it's obvious to see that we'll be running with two talls only in our back six for round 1.

Re-visit the North game. Brown and Waite both had limited opportunities due to pressure from our midfield and half-forward line. The aim will be to again replicate that intensity and defensive pressure to limit opposition scoring opportunities.

• Like 6

20 minutes ago, stevethemanjordan said:

I'm not sure if you're aware that Membrey only stands at 188cm. Wagner is 189cm, Hunt is 187 cm and Hibberd is 186.

One reason it's a non-issue is because of the way in which we defend as a side. We are constantly zoning dangerous space and tend to press up the ground in a very aggressive formation. Our entire backline unit relies on unrelenting defensive pressure from our half-forwards and midfielders so that opposition entries are both limited and/or of poor quality.

Any forward-line will be a threat if our system breaks down further up the field. This is hardly news to many.

I don't understand your comments. Frost may well get a run, although I wouldn't bet on it. I reckon it's obvious to see that we'll be running with two talls only in our back six for round 1.

Re-visit the North game. Brown and Waite both had limited opportunities due to pressure from our midfield and half-forward line. The aim will be to again replicate that intensity and defensive pressure to limit opposition scoring opportunities.

Membrey and Bruce always seem to trouble us. 

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, stevethemanjordan said:

Any good defensive system will always rely on defending as a team AND defending as individuals. Just as any good attacking system in a game of footy should be based upon attacking as a team AND winning one on one match ups. Richmond last year - great team defending and great individual defending. Good enough team attacking, often used Dusty one out when they needed a goal.

The system worked and Lever did well enough one on one - better than I expected - that I'm now in full agreement with the 2 talls. And I've stated I'd play Frost just for a half as one of the 23-26th players to get him a run as a depth player for early rounds.

My reply here was in reference to a poster asking what the Saints will do to test us. North did not have a legitimate 3rd tall marking option like Membrey. I'm not worried about the cm's so much, the guy can mark a footy - on the lead or one on one. That makes him a test for our zoning defenders who at times will have to win those contests.