Farewell Jack Watts

PaulRB

Trade Jack Watts or not?  

477 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

10 minutes ago, Bombay Airconditioning said:

Probably mentioned before....

Just reading Sydney are interested in him. Whilst I'd prefer he stay should he go to Sydney I hope Tippet isn't part of the deal. 

Great!  I noted earlier I would love to see Jack go there. 

Longmire would work Jack real hard and he would need to earn his stripes the hard way.  They take no prisoners and are not shy about dropping the 'big names'.  But there is only one name in Sydney so Jack can be anonymous up there.

Sydney do not have a 'link man' or anyone close to playing that role and would be a good pick up for them.  Longmire would have a long chat with Roos and will get a warts and all picture of Jack.

They also play fair at the trade table so the trade could get done fairly easily. 

I really hope he doesn't go to Port they will eat him alive.

• Like 2

49 minutes ago, Demon77 said:

How about we start by creating our own model?

Mossquito fleets and forward pressure blah, blah. Richmond were kissed on the you know what this year, injuries to talls early and Hardwick was forced to play smalls. It worked. All of a sudden they found players that could hit targets and some of those players were pitiful last year.

If the FD believe Watts doesn't fit in for a premiership tilt let's leave it at that, I have no choice but to except it.

In an interview earlier this year Watts stated he had an important accounting exam the day after his debut. Yet let's throw him to the wolves. He will be fine in the future.

Unfortunately it's an emotional sport and I'm a fan of Jack and maybe I only see the positives he brings.

Turning up pre-season in an unsatisfactory condition doesn't warrant the criticism. A lot of players are guilty of that, look at Oliver, but I guess he has time on his side. 

I've read many times he likes to party and I'm glad he's been discrete if that's the case because if Watts ends up at Port he could certainly give Ryder some lessons about keeping a low profile when hitting the town.

Anyways, just bring trade week forward so we can start the welcome threads.

And look just how well Clarry performed after a foot up the behind. Our best player for the year and hes still green as green. He CHOSE to do something about his diet, training, preparation etc etc and it paid off in spades.

How many foots up the arse or on the flip side, hugs and kisses will it take for Jack to CHOOSE to get the best out of himself?

Hes happy to be a good player who can kick the ball well. There is no room for that attitude anymore. If the footy dept needs to move him and anyone else along to eradicate that sort of mentality - then so be it.

• Like 5

4 minutes ago, DSP said:

And look just how well Clarry performed after a foot up the behind. Our best player for the year and hes still green as green. He CHOSE to do something about his diet, training, preparation etc etc and it paid off in spades.

How many foots up the arse or on the flip side, hugs and kisses will it take for Jack to CHOOSE to get the best out of himself?

Hes happy to be a good player who can kick the ball well. There is no room for that attitude anymore. If the footy dept needs to move him and anyone else along to eradicate that sort of mentality - then so be it.

Can't argue with that.

It's clear that the winning the contest is non-negotiable for Simon Goodwin and it is negotiable for Jack Watts.  This has been made clear to Jack and he has been unable to modify his behaviour.  We have been decent in contested ground balls but we are pathetic at the aerial contest and Jack Watts at 196cm offers nothing here.  So he will be traded.

The last 2 GFs vindicate this position - contested possessions Tigers 170 v Crows 140, Dogs 172 v Swans 149 - the less talented team won both flags - it's that simple.

Looking at market value.  Jake Melksham for 25, Michael Hibberd for 29 and late pick upgrade.  That where he sits.

• Like 14

1 minute ago, demon25 said:

Message to MFC:

Trade Jack Watts - lose my membership

Simple

People power

catchya then, you are unhappy a soft player #1 draft pick mediocre bloke is going?

• Like 1

1 minute ago, demon25 said:

Message to MFC:

Simple

People power

Really, he is an under performing player that has had 150 odd games.  Good bloke from all accounts but time to move on if the deal is right

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, demon25 said:

Message to MFC:

Simple

People power

3 minutes ago, Tracca said:

catchya then, you are unhappy a soft player #1 draft pick mediocre bloke is going?

There is no need for either of the above.

I have reservations over this move if it eventuates but my reservations are in the best interests of the club. How is encouraging mutiny among members and threatening the club, or fermenting ill will amongst aggrieved members going to help the club win the flag?

Edited by rpfc
  • Like 7

With Sydney showing interest, could we potentially coax a first rounder out of them? Maybe wishful thinking, though. 

1 minute ago, Dr. Gonzo said:

I felt the same way after Farmer left (even though not the clubs choosing). I'm still here 15 years later.

Same here. Absolutely shattered the day that was announced. The club was still there the next day and so was I. It will be the same with this as well. 

• Like 4

16 minutes ago, demon25 said:

Message to MFC:

Simple

People power

Are you a supporter of the MFC or of Jack Watts?

It's a team game and the betterment of the club is bigger than any one player.

• Like 6

Remember, Goodwin played under Blight. His own career took off when Blight came in and pensioned off legends of the club, the uproar in Adelaide was replaced by euphoria winning the next 2 premierships.

Lets hope Goodwin is a good learner and has pulled the right reins...

• Like 7

2 minutes ago, rjay said:

Remember, Goodwin played under Blight. His own career took off when Blight came in and pensioned off legends of the club, the uproar in Adelaide was replaced by euphoria winning the next 2 premierships.

Lets hope Goodwin is a good learner and has pulled the right reins...

How many pensioners went that day?

4-5 from memory...

BANG!

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Sir Why You Little said:

How many pensioners went that day?

4-5 from memory...

BANG!

McDermott, McGuinness (captain) & A Jarman were at least 3 of them.

I can understand the angst from Melbourne supporters, Watts is a seemingly well liked player around the club, he is well liked by supporters and he has lifted his performance over the last 18 months. He does possess attributes that we seem to be short on.

But there has to be a reason the FD is looking to move him on. Goodwin isn't going to deliberately sabotage the team due to some personal dislike he may have for Watts (if a personal dislike even exists). In a situation like this I find myself having no other option but to support the club and FD and assuming they are making the correct decision. Of course clubs have made mistakes before however this current admin does have runs on the board so should be given the benefit of the doubt.

What I sincerely hope doesn't happen is that supporters start turning on the coach, FD and club based on this decision as, like I said, they have the runs on the board over the last few off-seasons and deserve our support. They are trying to improve the team and club to build towards a premiership, this is their careers on the line too. I'll back them in at this stage and continue to support the club. The last thing this club needs is to get back to infighting especially from supporters and media commentators such as Schwarz who don't know the full story.

• Like 10

6 minutes ago, Dr. Gonzo said:

McDermott, McGuinness (captain) & A Jarman were at least 3 of them.

I can understand the angst from Melbourne supporters, Watts is a seemingly well liked player around the club, he is well liked by supporters and he has lifted his performance over the last 18 months. He does possess attributes that we seem to be short on.

But there has to be a reason the FD is looking to move him on. Goodwin isn't going to deliberately sabotage the team due to some personal dislike he may have for Watts (if a personal dislike even exists). In a situation like this I find myself having no other option but to support the club and FD and assuming they are making the correct decision. Of course clubs have made mistakes before however this current admin does have runs on the board so should be given the benefit of the doubt.

What I sincerely hope doesn't happen is that supporters start turning on the coach, FD and club based on this decision as, like I said, they have the runs on the board over the last few off-seasons and deserve our support. They are trying to improve the team and club to build towards a premiership, this is their careers on the line too. I'll back them in at this stage and continue to support the club. The last thing this club needs is to get back to infighting especially from supporters and media commentators such as Schwarz who don't know the full story.

The irony is seeing the large amount of changes clubs like GWS, Adelaide and Geelong are likely to undertake to improve their lists. Yet Watts being offloaded is seen as 'destroying' the fabric of our club

I like Watts, and he's been a loyal servant. I'd be happy if he stays, but I'll back the football departments call, and if they want him to look at options out there, I'll back them in.  He is very much what the prototype forward *should* be. Maybe at another club he will fulfill that potential, but I am not convinced he will with us.

Edited by Ouch!
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

We all said the same "back the club" line when the club moved James McDonald, Cam Bruce and Brad Miller on under Needle. And that tore the fabric of the club apart and set us back years. And those guys aren't nearly as talented as Watts. 

He is much loved within the group and as you rightly point out has improved over the last 18months under Roos/Goodwin.

If there is a flaw is in his attitude, then surely it is Goodwin's responsibility as coach to address that and turn it around. Surely he can't put it in the "too hard basket" and simply move on a player of that caliber (and probably the only home grown 25-28 year in the club!)

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, demon25 said:

If there is a flaw is in his attitude, then surely it is Goodwin's responsibility as coach to address that and turn it around.

Sorry '25', attitude is the players responsibility. A coach can't be expected to turn it around, the player has to want to make the changes...it's called personal responsibility, taking responsibility for your own actions.

• Like 9

Just now, demon25 said:

We all said the same "back the club" line when the club moved James McDonald, Cam Bruce and Brad Miller on under Needle. And that tore the fabric of the club apart and set us back years. And those guys aren't nearly as talented as Watts. 

He is much loved within the group and as you rightly point out has improved over the last 18months under Roos/Goodwin.

If there is a flaw is in his attitude, then surely it is Goodwin's responsibility as coach to address that and turn it around. Surely he can't put it in the "too hard basket" and simply move on a player of that caliber (and probably the only home grown 25-28 year in the club!)

Care to name a player that has managed to turn around their career after 9 seasons?  Isn't it the players responsibility to get the most out of their career as much as it is the coaches? Watts has been cuddled, given rockets, played in defence, forward, wing and ruck. I thought last year was a really promising season and that this was his turning point, only to see him let it slide over the preseason, not turning up in condition. I don't blame him for the form after his hamstring injury, but I do blame him for his preparation at the start of the season. 
I always liked to compare Watts to Goddard, but the penny dropped for Goddard after about 5-6 seasons. Jury still out with Watts unfortunately.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, bing181 said:

Have to confess, I haven't read every post. There are a lot of them.

I just want Jack Watts gone so we can stop talking about him.

It's exhausting.

• Like 1

From the AFL site:

Watts Cycle

Goodwin again going public on Watts saying that hardly anything has changed over the years.

I can't see Jack wanting to stay at all.

22 minutes ago, demon25 said:

McDonald was sent on his way under Bailey, the others as well from memory. That was a completely different situation as we were left with a vacuum of leadership and the club was tanking for draft picks so the players felt they weren't supported by the FD and club. McDonald was the only real had one and probably more in the way it was done. Miller, Bruce, Green, Robbo, Yze, White they were all done.

3 minutes ago, McQueen said:

From the AFL site:

Watts Cycle

Goodwin again going public on Watts saying that hardly anything has changed over the years.

I can't see Jack wanting to stay at all.

Reading between the lines I find it hard to believe there isn't more going on behind the scenes that they don't want to go public with. 

• Like 6