MATCH PREVIEW AND TEAM SELECTION - Round 8

Demonland

2 minutes ago, Akum said:

Sorry, to me the word isn't intensity, but composure.

Lack of composure has been a major problem in all of our losses, not a lack of intensity.

Going for even more intensity can stuff up our composure.

I like this...somewhere I used Poise...same thinking.  We do a lot of daft things....needlessly

• Like 1

Just now, Bitter but optimistic said:

Not yet Diamond but we're on thin ice.

not yet...only refers to a time....not the event !!

1 minute ago, beelzebub said:

not yet...only refers to a time....not the event !!

It's going to get worse I'm afraid. Injuries and other factors are going to test the sides resilience between now and seasons end

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Nasher said:

What was it meant to say?!

Niggler ??

We will not get flooged by 70 points like Richmond were. It wont happen , more like  15 - 25

48 minutes ago, beelzebub said:

Thrice , it's just possible  BBO and Diamond are right concurrently.  BBO's caveat  is the explanation. Further to that  I'll repeat the gist off something i wrote earlier:

In order to be half a chance  Sat evening we need to ....

Come out of blocks switched on and accountable, yet to do

Not play rubbish football the first 1/2 qtrs  ,  yet to do

Play ALL  FOUR qtrs  , no naps , yet to do 

Play on road well,  not overly known for it

Win on the road, again not our forte

Beat an arguably superior team.....nupp, haven't done that this year

So, being realistic I can't see us getting up.  I'm not suggesting an honourable loss is fine, they never are  but I want to see us play PROPERLY not like some fumbling clown outfit who only gets going after a good wind up.

Adelaide at Adelaide is a hard game even when they aren't travelling too well.  If not  careful we'll be lambs to the slaughter and then ALL we will see is the cue back in the rack, and the FD trying out everyone to see who to keep and bump up market values as Finals will be a pipe dream.

It was generally accepted that we had to make the very best of the first half of the season as it would be harder in the second. We needed that foundation of wins and percentage to assist us through to September. Well that's all gone by the wayside I'd suggest.

For what it's worth and I take no pleasure in writing it I think we're about to get a Football lesson.

I wasn't really including tomorrow as a winnable game. 2 of the next 3 will have us at 5-6.

I understand the comment about making the best of the start of our season. But GWS (who are a rung above us) and Sydney aside; no team has been as hard hit by injuries and suspension to key players. Our best is right up there with the best in the competition and that with a full complement we would be at least 5-2. 

It is this that makes me bullish about the return of Gawn. He shifts the balance of our stoppages from being reactive to proactive: instead of planning to shark the opposition we can back in our set plays to execute clean clearances. Whilst currently we are still winning clearances in the strictest sense, the next possession is under pressure (hence the ring-a-rosie handballs) and the momentum from the stoppage is lost.

We've got on top against Bombers and Hawks when their pressure dropped and we were able to get clean clearances. GCS and Pies, in particular, are not pressure sides, so I reckon our chances are solid against those two.

16 hours ago, A F said:

16 hours ago, Petraccattack said:

If JKH had 22 touches and 2.3  we would be hailing it a breakout game and saying he has arrived, especially if it was in a  close game we should have won against  a current top 4 team a la Kent vs Geelong.

Dean was stiff to be dropped.

Maybe, although he's been coasting for a while IMO. He may have kicked goals last year, but his defensive pressure was very up and down.

I think the FD see how important he could be to our side and wanted to demand a greater output. That's good coaching and selection for mine.

What I didnt get was why Kent only got to play one game as opposed to 2 or 3. Aside from his form (which was at least a pass) in his one game why was he not afforded the chances that so many others have had? 

Edited by leave it to deever

Hope Hogan just slept in this morning to get the extra rest to help his 'sickness' and will catch a later flight today.

If not is Weids an automatic in? Do we play Billy on a wing and get creative with the forward line? T-Mac at CHF?

You would think with the ruck issues (especially against big Jacobs) we will have to go safer in Weids to allow more flexibility for Tmac/Watts/Pederson

Edited by mongrel

2 minutes ago, mongrel said:

Hope Hogan just slept in this morning to get the extra rest to help his 'sickness' and will catch a later flight today.

If not is Weids an automatic in? Do we play Billy on a wing and get creative with the forward line? T-Mac at CHF?

You would think with the ruck issues (especially against big Jacobs) we will have to go safer in Weids to allow more flexibility for Tmac/Watts/Pederson

Shhhh... don't tell OD :unsure:

4 hours ago, Ethan Tremblay said:

I think I'll be sick if Walker kicks more than four. I'd put Frost on him, I think he could really frustrate Walker and put him off his game. 

If McDonald goes to Walker and he kicks a couple of early ones, McDonald will struggle for the remainder of the game.

Assume Jetta will go to Betts, should be a good duel, as long as the umpires don't get sucked into Betts flopping around and playing for frees.

They need to pay that push in the back that Betts always gets away with

This trip to Adelaide that supposedly helps the team galvanise is interesting. I can't see why you wouldn't just catch a mid-morning flight out of Melbourne, stretch the legs in the afternoon and play the game that night. They're not traveling to Perth!

A footy trip to Adelaide from Melbourne to help 'galvanise' the group usually happens in a bus, at years end and involves lots of beer, pizzas, male flatulence and vomiting.

At least that's how I remember it.

• Like 1

Not looking good: "Hogan missed training on Thursday through illness and did not show up with teammates at Melbourne Airport today ahead of Saturday night's clash against Adelaide at Adelaide Oval".  (AFL website)

My heart sank reading that.

Grrrrrrr!  Will the NSC never leave our club!

Edited by Lucifer's Hero

6 minutes ago, mongrel said:

Ok then. But on the DL who does he think should be our backup tall forward/marking option? Keilty? who else is left????

Look. Weed get the gig by default. Not much to argue. Not much to like.

Ball probably unlikely to going in our fwd 50 ( that far ) enough to worry.:unsure:

7 minutes ago, Lucifer's Hero said:

Not looking good: "Hogan missed training on Thursday through illness and did not show up with teammates at Melbourne Airport today ahead of Saturday night's clash against Adelaide at Adelaide Oval".  (AFL website)

Sh it 

7 minutes ago, Lucifer's Hero said:

look on the bright side.... we could all look back on this match as the Weids break out match

it is hard to see many other positives out of the coming weekend