Changes vs Freo

What

If we best freo and get hogan back against the tigers I am backing us in to start the year 5-1 because I think we will beat the bombers as well 

• Like 3

7 hours ago, Redleg said:

We need to get Frost or Pedo back in to help Jake and release Watts to his normal game. Don't need him being injured in the ruck.

BTW, I thought Watts was terrific. He showed more desire at the contest than I have seen from him before and he ran himself into the ground .

After the game he dropped to the ground exhausted. It was a fantastic effort from a bloke who can look laconic and lazy at times.

If he plays with that intensity and effort, he will be a much better player for us.

If Spencer goes down in the next 12 weeks, Frost would be my choice for number one ruckman. Watts can then play forward.

There is no doubt in my mind that we will see the same amount of endeavour from Spencer as we have seen from Max, however i am a little worried about the leadership that we have had the benefit of with Max this year particularly, not being the same. Hopefully there will be many wise words for our new number 1 ruckman who i will get behind straight away. He is physical and smart, and does look the part....

1 hour ago, jumbo returns said:

Agree....I want him back asap

He's one of my favourites too, but I want him to work on a few things at VFL level and come back into the big stuff having dominated the VFL for a few weeks.

Making him hungry won't hurt him at all. 

25 minutes ago, old dee said:

Add Vince AF.

Like your confidence did you see what happened to the Dogs on the weekend?

I did. I watched it. Thought the Bulldogs didn't come to play and were beaten by harder running on the outside. If we bring the required intensity we'll beat them.

• Like 2

24 minutes ago, Abe said:

If we best freo and get hogan back against the tigers I am backing us in to start the year 5-1 because I think we will beat the bombers as well 

Me too, mate. I'd be even more confident if we beat Freo and predict an 8-2 start to the bye.

As you can tell, I really liked what I saw from our guys after Gawn went down. Our kicking for goal aside, I haven't been more excited about a Melbourne team in my near 30 years of supporting/life.

18 minutes ago, A F said:

Me too, mate. I'd be even more confident if we beat Freo and predict an 8-2 start to the bye.

As you can tell, I really liked what I saw from our guys after Gawn went down. Our kicking for goal aside, I haven't been more excited about a Melbourne team in my near 30 years of supporting/life.

The first six games of this year ... Geelong aside are all against teams that will probably end up outside the 8.

5:1 or at the least 4:2 are essential if we are going to make the 8.

So disappointing to see the number of injuries and suspensions

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Diamond_Jim said:

The first six games of this year ... Geelong aside are all against teams that will probably end up outside the 8.

5:1 or at the least 4:2 are essential if we are going to make the 8.

So disappointing to see the number of injuries and suspensions

Agreed, although I think what we'll see this year is a bit of what I thought we'd see in 2016. That is, we'll win some games we expect to lose and lose some games we expect to win. So if we lose a couple of games early on in 2017 that we expect to win, I think we may well make up for it during the harder back end draw.

I am only scared about playing Adelaide, GWS, Bulldogs, West Coast (in Perth) and at a stretch, Sydney, but that last game is at the 'G, so we're a real shot.

If we play like we have in the first three weeks, we'll win enough games to finish in the 8. 

Can't wait for the rest of this season. I'm even more excited by the challenge the Gawn injury has placed on us.

7 minutes ago, Redleg said:

No!

My first thought as well redleg but Goodwin is known to innovate so it wouldn't surprise me if he does try some things 

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, tappysquads said:

How far off is Hibberd from VFL games? He will be a big in. Our use out of the back half still stinks.

spencil for Max

pedo for weed

I really think Frost is best 22 in our back half 

Does it?  I thought our usage through there, especially in the second and third term, was the catalyst for how often we were able to hit the scoreboard.

• Like 1

Why are some people suggesting ANB Get the chop, I can only assume they never watched the game he had 28 disposals kicked 1 goal, laid 10 tackles and had 28 pressure acts, absolutely mind boggling stuff to even think about dropping him 

• Like 11

2 minutes ago, brendan said:

Why are some people suggesting ANB Get the chop, I can only assume they never watched the game he had 28 disposals kicked 1 goal, laid 10 tackles and had 28 pressure acts, absolutely mind boggling stuff to even think about dropping him 

It was only picketfence and Enyaw who called for ANB to be dropped.

They like the attention.

• Like 1

Suspensions and injuries have posed some interesting questions for the selection committee this week.

Gawn out and Vince doubtful because of his toe and a forward line that is inexperienced and in need of some leadership. With Hogan out for another week I think we need to have Watts roaming the forward half as much as possible. I would look at that as his primary role. With Spencer in ruck I would also look at getting Pedersen in there if he is fit. Play him as a forward and relief ruck to ensure Watts is nearer to goal all the time. Wied to make way for Pedersen. Give him a couple of weeks at Casey and get him to earn a place back. Tim Smith to get another run.

For Bernie I would Brayshaw back.

The rest of the team I would leave as is. I liked what I saw on the weekend. 

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, Abe said:

Could we go left field and just play watts as the full time ruck and enjoy the extra mid? 

I don't have the full stats - but at the 10min mark of the final quarter, the AFL.com match feed commented that Zac Smith was leading Watts 10-1 in hit-outs to advantage and the Cats had won 10 of the last 11 clearances. It would be lunacy rather than left-field. 

1) The logical selection is Spencer for Gawn.  Let's get creative if the logical selection fails.

2) I think Goodwin loves Weideman and wants him developing in the seniors rather than at Casey. I think he could use a week away from the pressure of being the no. 1 forward, but I have a feeling it won't happen.

3) Finally, I'm gonna go left of field and suggest Trengove for Bernie should he not be able to get up for the match. (a match in which his opponents are going to stomp on his toe at every opportunity)

4 minutes ago, TeamPlayedFine39 said:

1) The logical selection is Spencer for Gawn.  Let's get creative if the logical selection fails.

2) I think Goodwin loves Weideman and wants him developing in the seniors rather than at Casey. I think he could use a week away from the pressure of being the no. 1 forward, but I have a feeling it won't happen.

3) Finally, I'm gonna go left of field and suggest Trengove for Bernie should he not be able to get up for the match. (a match in which his opponents are going to stomp on his toe at every opportunity)

Bring in Trenners against an opposition who just smashed the premiers on the outside?

I think Bugg would be the logical (and sensible) replacement for Bernie.

Edited by Skuit
  • Like 1