Toughest midfield in the AFL - David King

Bobby Clark

30 minutes ago, Uncle Fester said:

I remember him telling us how Geelong had no chance of winning the 2011 premiership. None at all. Talked about it for weeks. Pointed out how they were aging, had lost talent, etc etc... Then when they won I saw him on one of the footy shows telling the world that he picked it all along.

The guy is a [censored] of the highest order.

Don't forget the one a couple of years ago that St Kilda wouldn't win a game for the year...and of course last years the Tiges will finish top 4.

The only thing I can ever remember him getting right was Neeld and he's dinned out on that for a while now.

The best stat reader in the media but apart from that totally useless...

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Lucifer's Hero said:

Any other info, for those of us who don't read/subscribe to the HS.

As coincidence would have it just before you started this thread I had posted this to the Gus Brayshaw thread: "Our midfield is scary good:  Viney, Brayshaw, Oliver, Tyson, Salem, (potentially Petracca).  Collectively, they remind me of the Lions midfield of the early 2000's: Black, Voss, Akermanis, Power".

You could almost match them up

• Voss:  Oliver/Viney - tough as
  • Black:  Brayshaw/Salem - silky
  • Akermanis: Petracca - strong, knows where the goals are.
  • Power:  Tyson - quietly gets the job done.

Notice there are more Dees players than Lions...as I said our midfield is scary good!

We could easily have a few Brownlow medalists in our lot - if they don't take votes from each other that is. 

Just as long as they deliver us a flag or two or three!

No pressure of course :cool:

We're not playing the Lions though, we're playing the Giants, Swans and Dogs who have pretty scary midfields of their own

56 minutes ago, jnrmac said:

You forgot one of the best, Nigel Lappin. Only one of the above to earn All Australian in their four grand Final years....one of the 'Fab Four'

The Dees have done nothing.  These guys were out and out champs.

This talk is frankly insane. But then it is Kingy

The talk isn't insane at all.  There are always stars retiring and stars emerging.  It's been this way for over 100 years and will continue for the next 100 years.

There will be a group take over the mantle and when I look at the already exposed form of Viney, Tyson, Oliver, Brayshaw, Petracca, together with Jones, Lewis and Vince I see no reason it won't be this group of Dees.  It's not a far-fetched call in my view.

We're developing a skull-cracking midfield and the competition knows it.

EDIT: I'm not suggesting it will be the best midfield, although it's conceivable, I'm talking toughest.

Edited by ProDee
  • Like 5

59 minutes ago, Danelska said:

Sniper on the field- presents well on tv - can't help but think being a football pundit would be the easiest thing in the world - vague statements, reactionary, revisionist... still nice to have positive articles being pumped out at the moment...

He reads the AFL Prospectus and palms off Champion Datas analysis as his own. He was explaining the "relative ratings" of the Tiger mids the other day without even a hint that this is a Champion Data metric. I doubt he could explain the equation behind it if asked 

• Like 2

With the addition of Lewis and another preseason into the young fella's I consider this a fair call by King. 

I'm ready to embrace all the hype this time around. We're not going into game with Morton, Gysberts, Maric, Blease etc from the last 'potentially good' era.

The signs are obvious that these guys are going to be renowned for their hardness.

King is Captain Obvious.

• Like 3

17 minutes ago, rjay said:

Don't forget the one a couple of years ago that St Kilda wouldn't win a game for the year...and of course last years the Tiges will finish top 4.

The only thing I can ever remember him getting right was Neeld and he's dinned out on that for a while now.

The best stat reader in the media but apart from that totally useless...

I'll give him one thing at least he tries to lift the conversation around footy and uses advanced stats to explain what is happening out on the field. We need more of that type of footy analysis instead of ex-players waffling on about the good old days, wannabe comedians trying to work their bits in and social try hard telling us which player is dating his teammates girlfriend

• Like 6

The hype train is getting a little ridiculous on the back of a couple of good JLT performances.

Sure our side looks exceptionally talented on paper and chock full of potential but we all know too well how this team historically gets ahead of itself after a couple of good wins. Losing to Carlton last year when we had a chance at the 8 was the pits!

Until we eliminate those sort of performances comparisons to a triple premiership team aren't even worth thinking about for mine...

• Like 4

12 minutes ago, sisso said:

The hype train is getting a little ridiculous on the back of a couple of good JLT performances.

Sure our side looks exceptionally talented on paper and chock full of potential but we all know too well how this team historically gets ahead of itself after a couple of good wins. Losing to Carlton last year when we had a chance at the 8 was the pits!

Until we eliminate those sort of performances comparisons to a triple premiership team aren't even worth thinking about for mine...

Im not sure its entirely based on the last 2 games. Its based on the trend. Percentage tends to rise before wins come consitantly. Before the last round disaster our percentage was 103%. Wins come with experience but percentage comes with talent. I dont expect we will jump to top 4  but the numbers suggest we will be improvers. Case and point: in 2015 GWS finshed 11th with 99% (they were also pretty ordinary against us in their last game). Eagles were 9th at 116% the year before then finshed 2nd, same year adelaide we 10th with 114% and played finals the next year. 

Lets face it, we all knew at some point the hype would come. All we can do is hope they live up to it.

• Like 5

If you are one of the slowest teams on the outside in terms of leg speed, you definitely need to be tough inside.

MFC supporters tend to rate experts on how favourable they are toward the club, rather than objectivity and accuracy.  I recall he was after (Garry's pick) Neeld's head after 2 rounds, which only those that could see clearly, were calling for.

I think Brad Johnson's call regarding Freo pre-2016 was one out of the box.

• Like 3

to those worrying about there being too much hype around the Dees, never fear, once we lose to the Saints in round 1 we will get hammered in the media and things will get back to normal

• Like 10

Just now, DubDee said:

to those worrying about there being too much hype around the Dees, never fear, once we lose to the Saints in round 1 we will get hammered in the media and things will get back to normal

Lucky it will still be positive on Demonland. I think the media need to take a lesson from the calm, level headed approach from the posters on here.

• Like 4

1 minute ago, daisycutter said:

fot me i'm afraid with [censored] king it's a case of falsus uno falsus omnibus

Rather not. 

Reality bus or bovis stercore?

what parallel universe have I awoke to ?

• Like 1

4 hours ago, special robert said:

Why does all this optimism make me worried? Remember...what year.....? we won the first 8 games.......2000?.......then we got the double page spread in the sun with statements like this team is as good as the one from 1964 etc..........lid on please.

Old Dee has thrown the bloody lid away. God help us!

• Like 1

Grain of salt, this stuff, doggies and swans tougher and now everyone will be coming at us twice as hard and twice as dirty. Thanks queen.

I'll wait till end of first round and see who we have left standing, as well....stupid statement at stupid juncture by lime lighter.