Sam Weideman re-signs

Straight Sets Simon

2 hours ago, DeeSpencer said:

Last year was a nice bonus to see the Weed play a few games at AFL level and just as importantly have some really good stretches in the VFL.

So I hope we don't go overboard with expectations this year but the good news is he's stronger and was running really well when he came back from the break. 

He has to hold more marks and work on his defensive pressure but the way he attacks the ball and his class stands out. 

The 2 goals he got against the Dogs on the weekend were gifts but it shows he can read the play and run hard in to space to get on the end of it. He took a really nice mark as well and missed the shot that he'd usually kick based on his VFL form.

From his short stints in the 1s he has a tendency to get out the back, a bloody good sign for a player of his size. 

• Like 1

Absolutely great news.  At VFL level last year he was in the thick of it as a key forward. Hits the pack with a strong body that belies his looks and young age.  Can't wait for him to put on a bit more bulk over the next couple of years so he can mix it up with the big boys.

One coach last year called him "a natural born killer".  I look forward to the day when we can all see that come to reality on the field in the seniors.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, DemonAndrew said:

really should've been announced at 4.20

I see what you did there... I too was stoked to hear the news... 

Although he is still a bit green if I could be blunt

:cool:

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Fork 'em said:

Yep , a big strong one grabber.
He'll be the Jack Watts we wanted but didn't get.

He'll never possess the kicking, smarts or game sense that Jack does.

That's not a knock on Weideman at all, given few would match Jack in all these areas (at our club anyway).

• Like 2

Really liked what I saw from Sam last year, looking forward to watching him grow this year. 

20 minutes ago, billy2803 said:

At this risk of sounding like a nong, I have no idea what this means.  Can someone enlighten me please.

20 minutes ago, billy2803 said:

At this risk of sounding like a nong, I have no idea what this means.  Can someone enlighten me please.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/420_(cannabis_culture)

• Like 1

21 hours ago, Demon Disciple said:

He'll never possess the kicking, smarts or game sense that Jack does.

That's not a knock on Weideman at all, given few would match Jack in all these areas (at our club anyway).

Pfft , gotta be kidding.
Watts has done FA.

Edited by Fork 'em

On 23/02/2017 at 3:38 PM, Nasher said:

While I understand you were only kidding, no doubt there will be some peanut who sees this as an invitation to discuss him.

It would be nice if Watts could go unmentioned in the odd thread.

Who?

On 23/02/2017 at 4:00 PM, Copuchas said:

Resigning Sam is good news, he's on the right track and has some key attributes in terms of kicking and marking skills.  For anyone who saw the extent to which McGuire was bristling as host on Fox Footy when Sam played his first game against Hawthorn, it's clear that no stone will be left unturned by Collingwood to woo him across to the Pies if there's so much as a sniff.  The heritage and tradition facets of AFL/VFL and Collingwood's role within them are near and dear to Eddie and clearly it rankles that such a famous Magpie name is on the Demons' list.  

On 23/02/2017 at 4:31 PM, Lucifer's Hero said:

Great News!

That will put paid to any fantasy Eddie and his cohorts had of getting him over to their side of the paddock!!:cool:

So good anytime to coup McChins. 

And Sam seems such a high quality person to have Magpie genes.  

I loved watching Murray W's broad smile as Sam kicked that first goal with his first kick v Hawks.  Maybe he will become a true convert and really p155 Ed off. 

Edited by monoccular
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, old dee said:

Not sure there are many on here old enough to get that one willmoy!

old I've respectavited your posts of old but you are getting tiresome

get on board or f off !

On 24/02/2017 at 7:16 PM, Fork 'em said:

Pfft , gotta be kidding.
Watts has done FA.

You really must be joking or haven't watched many matches, as Watts kicking, smarts and goal sense are exceptional as are his goal assists, an area where Weideman showed yesterday he will be very valuable in our team structure. Although I didn't see the entire game, the two goal assists to Hogan and Viney in particular were very unselfish (and effective)!

• Like 1

8 hours ago, puntkick said:

old I've respectavited your posts of old but you are getting tiresome

get on board or f off !

So you missed willmoy's comment completely pk? Now here is a little education.

His grandfather after football did some singing and at one stage was a profession wrestler.

happy?

Edited by old dee
  • Like 1