If Hawthorn get Mitchell & O'Meara then ...

Cranky Franky

2 hours ago, Redleg said:

Saints seem to be after about 10 players each year. 

And they look stupid and unattractive, because they hardly ever land them. This why I prefer our approach. I've heard we still enquire about a lot of players, but you never hear about this in the media, which enables us to maintain the integrity and worth of our brand on the open market.

5 hours ago, P-man said:

Given it's Clarkson the S Mitchell to West Coast move will probábly pay off. There's not much he touches that doesn't turn to gold.

Yep. Plus even though he's the better player it allows them to keep Lewis and Hodge in the team without getting too old and slow as they have been. T Mitch replaces S Mitch. O'Meara comes in when healthy and then Hodge finishes with dignity next year and they replace him. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, A F said:

And they look stupid and unattractive, because they hardly ever land them. T

• Hickey, Savage, Lee, Freeman, Roberton, Longer,Delaney, Dempster,Curren,  Bruce and Membrey say hello from the current squad.

•  

•  
  •  

•  

•  

•  
Edited by Redleg
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Redleg said:
  • Hickey, Savage, Lee, Freeman, Roberton, Longer,Delaney, Dempster,Curren,  Bruce and Membrey say hello from the current squad.

•  

•  
  •  

•  

•  

•  

They have been linked to the biggest players in the last 2-3 years and none of them have come off except Carlisle. The rest of those guys were nobodies at their previous clubs.

• Like 1

If S Mitchell goes to WC and part of that decision is 'a promise' of a coaching job at the end of playing..... that is absolutely corrupting/ abusing the salary cap ...

If he is offered 400K for 12 months ... he doesn't go

If he is offered 400K for 12 months AND 200K pa for 2 yrs as a coach after that,,, he goes!

The coaching salary is not in the salary cap but is part of the payers decision to move

It stinks 

AND the promised 'Coaching' might end up being on tuesday night a fortnight....

Stinks!!

• Like 3

1 hour ago, SaberFang said:

It's a bit weird there were rumours floating around of a 4 time premiership Hawks player coming to the Dees just a few days ago, then this news lands (which is a bombshell in its own right).

Yze?

Bruce? 

But yes .... interesting (rhymes with spin)

3 hours ago, Bigred said:

If S Mitchell goes to WC and part of that decision is 'a promise' of a coaching job at the end of playing..... that is absolutely corrupting/ abusing the salary cap ...

If he is offered 400K for 12 months ... he doesn't go

If he is offered 400K for 12 months AND 200K pa for 2 yrs as a coach after that,,, he goes!

The coaching salary is not in the salary cap but is part of the payers decision to move

It stinks 

AND the promised 'Coaching' might end up being on tuesday night a fortnight....

Stinks!!

Did you raise your concerns when we acquired Cross on the same terms?

5 hours ago, mo64 said:

I wouldn't say it's in the same category. For one, Cross was delisted so therefor he had no other commitments holding him back. Secondly there wasn't a bidding war going on or any additional carrots being thrown up to get him across the line. It was a case of we wanted a senior player to guide the young players. If anything the coaching part came on the back of his retirement in that we didn't want to see him gone from the club.

I'm not necessarily saying that what's going on at West Coast is all that wrong, he's not the first player to be brought into the club with clear aspirations of coaching. Hell half of Demonland was talking about it with Scott Thompson for next year. But at the same time I can also see how it can be potentially abused in that you get a player on a two year deal with a "wink wink, nudge, nudge" coaching/player development deal after they've retired.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, mo64 said:

Ummmm...... No.

I didnt know that.....

My indignation often exceeds my mastery of the evidence

I withdraw 

But i do think there is a potential for abuse along the lines detailed by Pates....

Watch this space.....

Edited by Bigred
Clarity, and changing my mind

I reckon the Hawks moves this trade period will only hasten their demise as they give away and gamble in a desperate attempt to reclaim glory.

On ‎12‎/‎10‎/‎2016 at 11:04 AM, P-man said:

Given it's Clarkson the S Mitchell to West Coast move will probábly pay off. There's not much he touches that doesn't turn to gold.

One exception is the plaster wall in the coaches box.

• Like 2

On 10/12/2016 at 6:42 PM, SaberFang said:

It's a bit weird there were rumours floating around of a 4 time premiership Hawks player coming to the Dees just a few days ago, then this news lands (which is a bombshell in its own right).

You heard it here... ERR FIRST.... , it's LEWIS

On 11/10/2016 at 0:18 PM, Clint Bizkit said:

Classic example, in about 2003 or 2004 we were going to trade Ryan Ferguson to Hawthorn for Brad Sewell however the deal fell through because Ferguson didn't want to go to Hawthorn.

It was actually the other way round about which player was happy to move.

On 10/11/2016 at 11:13 AM, Nasher said:

If Hawthorn get Mitchell and O'Meara, then...

They will have to pay for them.  I'll save the wrist slashing until I see the outcome.

Wrists well and truly unslashed at this stage.

1 hour ago, ickey_11 said:

It was actually the other way round about which player was happy to move.

No.  It was after Brad Miller had lead the lads to Phi Phi island after the Troy Broadbridge thing.  The story goes that while Sewell was unpacking his locker in to his bag ready to go, Ferguson was in Neale Daniher's office, in tears, pleading not to be traded.  

• Like 1

I suppose only time will tell if Hawthorn's got it right this year but pushing out 4-time premiership players who have taken pay cuts to stay together and deliver huge success, high membership and money for the club, to bring in a hack (Vickery), an unproven injury-prone kid (O'Meara), and a good, even great, but nothing exceptional midfielder (T Mitchell) surely won't sit well with the rest of Hawthorn's list, will it?

Knowing Hawthorn, it'll probably all work out, but fingers crossed it doesn't and it all blows up in their faces.