FA & Trade Whispers

Dee-licious

2 minutes ago, Scythe said:

Don't quite agree with this - we knew about Hibberd a fair way out, we knew about Bugg and Kennedy by the start of last year's trade period, and it was pretty well known that we improved our draft standing last year to pick up Oliver.

That being said, I won't be surprised if there's one or two minor trades, but nothing major.

Well Hibberd either returned to the Bombers, or named a new club, so not really a leak.

As for the improved pick swapping, that got us Oliver's pick, I recall that Demonland was in raptures knowing nothing about it, before it happened. It was a shock to most and wasn't leaked.

Bugg and Kennedy were not the sort of names that would have the other clubs running around.

I think we have tightened up the leaking dramatically.

• Like 2

26 minutes ago, Courtney_Fish said:

Personally, I’m disappointed that we didn’t trade Hogan and possibly our 2nd round draft pick for Nick Nat, especially while his value is down with injury.

You either need to change your meds or start taking them.

• Like 10

I'm almost as uninterested in Rockwit as I am in ---kery.

This might be the first time in a while I'm going into trade period more anxious about who we might recklessly pick up than who we might miss out on or lose.

Also, proper lol at the guy calling Prestia a "B+ meat and potatoes" midfielder. The only real question on him is his knee, which has clearly limited him in 15/16.

• Like 4

4 hours ago, Courtney_Fish said:

Personally, I’m disappointed that we didn’t trade Hogan and possibly our 2nd round draft pick for Nick Nat, especially while his value is down with injury.

Absolutely visionary. Why you're not our list manager I'll never know. And then maybe we can lure Drew Petrie out of retirement for a straight swap with Petracca.

1 hour ago, Redleg said:

You wouldn't think so, but leaving his club, losing his captaincy, a fresh start, with guys like Goody and McCartney and we might back ourselves in to get the best out of him.

As we did with Garlett. A change in Club often works wonders!

1 hour ago, Satyriconhome said:

Sorry Red but I would be, my midfield would be Jones. Viney, Tyson, Oliver, Vince, Brayshaw...don't see the need for him, especially if he stops Brayshaw/Oliver/Petracca getting games, but as Wise says, who knows these days

That is nowhere near enough mids to take into a game.  He pushes none of them out.

Bloke can play.  Worth looking at.  

Edited by Guest

Posted this in another thread but I think also worthwhile here.

I see the following mids and flankers who got a game at times this year as not part of our starting 22 if we are to become a serious threat. 

Bugg, Vandenberg, M Jones, Kennedy, Harmes, Lumumba, Wagner, Michie, Newton, Neale-Bullen, Trengove, Grimes White.

At times during the year we had up to seven of them in the side at once. At best it was still 3, which not surprisingly was in the consecutive wins against the Hawks and Power. This was in a year when we had a pretty clean run with injury. 

This to me shows that if we are to improve we still have a clear need to draft, trade and develop our midfield and running depth as well as hope that all of Oliver, Brayshaw and Petracca become consistent top grade talent sooner rather than later.

• Like 6

6 hours ago, Bring Back Barassi said:

OK, all this talk about the Dees is good and well, but as this is the "trade whispers" thread, thought I would add I whisper I heard from a reliable source close to the club...

PLynden Dunne and next years 2nd round pick for Tom Rockliff. Dunne deal apparently....

That just sounds plain made up.

Can't even spell Dunn's name properly.

• Like 3

43 minutes ago, big_red_fire_engine said:

I see the following mids and flankers who got a game at times this year as not part of our starting 22 if we are to become a serious threat. 

Bugg, Vandenberg, M Jones, Kennedy, Harmes, Lumumba, Wagner, Michie, Newton, Neale-Bullen, Trengove, Grimes White.

At times during the year we had up to seven of them in the side at once. At best it was still 3, which not surprisingly was in the consecutive wins against the Hawks and Power. This was in a year when we had a pretty clean run with injury. 

This to me shows that if we are to improve we still have a clear need to draft, trade and develop our midfield and running depth as well as hope that all of Oliver, Brayshaw and Petracca become consistent top grade talent sooner rather than later.

Couldn't agree more, well written. Although Wagner winning the best 1st year player against some serious opposition suggests the coaches disagree about him at least.

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, big_red_fire_engine said:

I see the following mids and flankers who got a game at times this year as not part of our starting 22 if we are to become a serious threat. 

At times during the year we had up to seven of them in the side at once. At best it was still 3, which not surprisingly was in the consecutive wins against the Hawks and Power. This was in a year when we had a pretty clean run with injury. 

This to me shows that if we are to improve we still have a clear need to draft, trade and develop our midfield and running depth as well as hope that all of Oliver, Brayshaw and Petracca become consistent top grade talent sooner rather than later.

He had a bad year due to his ankle, but I still reckon vandenBerg can be of real value. 

The club loves Wagner.

• Like 8

2 hours ago, Redleg said:

Well Hibberd either returned to the Bombers, or named a new club, so not really a leak.

As for the improved pick swapping, that got us Oliver's pick, I recall that Demonland was in raptures knowing nothing about it, before it happened. It was a shock to most and wasn't leaked.

Bugg and Kennedy were not the sort of names that would have the other clubs running around.

100%. Most including myself was uncomfortable with the early melksham trade-  but the FD quickly moved to improve our standing. Some on here blew up 

I think weiderman could be a great player if he develops as is expected.  Oliver likewise.

Edited by Demons2riseagain

22 minutes ago, ProDee said:

He had a bad year due to his ankle, but I still reckon vandenBerg can be of real value. 

The club loves Wagner.

vandenBerg has some great attributes that will continue to make him a handy player rotating across half forward and through the middle - a very good size, has a strong set of hands in the air and makes good decisions in traffic. I have him penciled in for the starting 22 next season.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Neitz the Great said:

What would people reckon Rockliff would be worth $$ wise. If we renegotiated his contract, whilst he gets a tonne of the footy, he's not very effective. Couldn't see us wanting to pay him over $400k a year?

Less than what Viney would be on.

2 hours ago, Redleg said:

I don't disagree that we've tightened up, however, the point I was trying to make is that people knew we were taking Oliver not long after the trade was made - I didn't say the pick swap was public knowledge prior to it becoming official. 

Melksham is another example of a move that was telegraphed before the trade period commenced. Granted, the Tyson trade was out of left field; although we were very vocal about putting pick two on the market.

The fact is that the public are usually aware of trades/free agent signings (at least to some extent) before they occur. See O'Meara, Vickery, Tom Mitchell and then Dangerfield/Smith/Henderson/Selwood last year etc - Those players are either from or are heading to the three most successful clubs of the modern era (Hawthorn, Geelong, Sydney). Clubs and players leak this sort of information all the time. 

I love trade period too; however, I think it'll be a relatively quiet one for us. 

Edited by Scythe

3 hours ago, Satyriconhome said:

Sorry Red but I would be, my midfield would be Jones. Viney, Tyson, Oliver, Vince, Brayshaw...don't see the need for him, especially if he stops Brayshaw/Oliver/Petracca getting games, but as Wise says, who knows these days

Well he'd tip out Bernie, who we all love but laboured terribly by end of season.

Bern off a flank (fwd or back) looks good too.

1 minute ago, armstrong35 said:

If there was a potential ruck/forward who was highly rated around our first pick would you rather we take the risk and try to draft them or trade it for Hibberd?

We've already attempted to draft one but King inconsidetately doing his knee ruined those plans, the next option will be a more mature and robust player who hopefully will be well regarded but still overtaken by M King in the long term.

4 hours ago, Bring Back Barassi said:

OK, all this talk about the Dees is good and well, but as this is the "trade whispers" thread, thought I would add I whisper I heard from a reliable source close to the club...

Lynden Dunne and next years 2nd round pick for Tom Rockliff. Dunne deal apparently....

Bloody. Hell.