FA & Trade Whispers

Dee-licious

18 minutes ago, Night Crawler said:

Goodwin himself said that we needed more ruck depth.

I am almost certain an assistant coach mentioned we would be looking to add ruck depth earlier in the year as well.

Ruck depth, so a young ruckman in the draft maybe to replace Max King,  how do you convince an AFL/State League  ruckman in his early twenties to sign up to be number 3 at the club for at least a year?

27 minutes ago, Satyriconhome said:

Ruck depth, so a young ruckman in the draft maybe to replace Max King,  how do you convince an AFL/State League  ruckman in his early twenties to sign up to be number 3 at the club for at least a year?

Who knows where we get this player from, but if Goodwin says we need more ruck depth, then we need more ruck depth. 

It won't take much to convince someone from the state league's to sign up. They would all jump at the chance for a crack at AFL again. 

27 minutes ago, Satyriconhome said:

Youd be learning from a AA ruckman AND there would be a plan to give him more game time and protect gawn a bit also I would think. At the moment if Gawn went down the whole house of cards would collapse. We need to be more adaptable if we're really going to travel far n the coming years.

29 minutes ago, Satyriconhome said:

It's the easiest job in the world to convince a state league ruckman to sign with an AFL club. They'd jump at the chance knowing that injuries are a part of football, and they may get their chance at the big time.

As for a ruckman currently on an AFL list, if they have a better skillset than Spencer, they would be competing for the position if Gawn goes down. 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Wells 11 said:

Youd be learning from a AA ruckman AND there would be a plan to give him more game time and protect gawn a bit also I would think. At the moment if Gawn went down the whole house of cards would collapse. We need to be more adaptable if we're really going to travel far n the coming years.

I beg to differ, absolutely delighted that Gawn has stood up, but I compare Spencer to McEvoy, who seems to get games from Clarkson, you change tack on how you play, it may impact a bit, as our team develops we should be able to react to any circumstance like the Hawthorns and Geelongs, if we can't then we will never compete with them

10 minutes ago, Moonshadow said:

Ruck/forward depth. Spencer is no forward. He's ruck depth only, which is why Pedo gets a gig ahead of him. Some rumours have Spencer going for better opportunities. Imo we world be looking to ruck/forward depth. 

Not when I spoke to him at the end of the season, but as discussed previously I may have got a straight bat, told me he was very happy with the situation and was just looking forward, like some of the others, to having a crack at the VFL flag

I still think we will get a youngster, if we get one at all, I assume we are looking at increasing the depth everywhere

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Satyriconhome said:

We currently don't have a forward/ruck (Max King apart but maybe delisted) so if there are any out there I would think they would be on our radar and easy to convince...

• Like 2

32 minutes ago, Satyriconhome said:

Not when I spoke to him at the end of the season, but as discussed previously I may have got a straight bat, told me he was very happy with the situation and was just looking forward, like some of the others, to having a crack at the VFL flag

I still think we will get a youngster, if we get one at all, I assume we are looking at increasing the depth everywhere

I find it really odd Saty that he wouldn't divulge to you that he was looking elsewhere for more opportunity..

Edited by Ethan Tremblay
  • Like 3

Just now, Satyriconhome said:

As above, still think we may go for a youngster, ie 18-19 yr old, to develop alongside Mitch King

I think you may be right...not sure there are any mature age forward/rucks out there worth a shot. Buckley's been searching for a while now to fill the Leigh Brown role and all he's come up with is Lynch then White.

22 minutes ago, rjay said:

I think you may be right...not sure there are any mature age forward/rucks out there worth a shot. Buckley's been searching for a while now to fill the Leigh Brown role and all he's come up with is Lynch then White.

This is the guy. http://www.wafl.com.au/players/view/4672

Darcy Cameron and/or NathanVardy for the fwd/ruck role. Oscar McInerney as another ruckman on the list.

Means if the rumors of Freo into Spencer are true, then if the price is right, why not?

22 minutes ago, Satyriconhome said:

As above, still think we may go for a youngster, ie 18-19 yr old, to develop alongside Mitch King

Why go for a 3rd or 4th round (or rookie) 18/19 year old draft pick ruckman who would be highly speculative and take years to develop, when you could get a young but more developed, promising 21/22 year old state league ruckman,  who you could develop in a much shorter time frame and maybe less speculative

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, AngryAtCasey said:

Darcy Cameron and/or NathanVardy for the fwd/ruck role. Oscar McInerney as another ruckman on the list.

Means if the rumors of Freo into Spencer are true, then if the price is right, why not?

5 minutes ago, daisycutter said:

Why go for a 3rd or 4th round (or rookie) 18/19 year old draft pick ruckman who would be highly speculative and take years to develop, when you could get a young but more developed, promising 21/22 year old state league ruckman,  who you could develop in a much shorter time frame and maybe less speculative

I suppose it all rests on whether the rumours on Freo and Spencer are true and whether Pencil would want the move and whether MFC want to move him on,  all big men are speculative, no matter the age, I would prefer us to get the 18-19 yr old and develop, if Spencer moves then we need a 'developed' back up for Gawn, and they are very few and far between

Keep an eye out for Mitch King next year. Watched a couple of bushies game last year and his agression and 2nd and 3rd efforts just stood out.

Also played the 1 senior game for Wodonga Bulldogs last year against us and was jumping all over our ruckman who also was the Ovens and Murray interleague number 1 ruckman coached by Brendan Fevola. 

The kid can play.. Also King has grown to 202cm now after bring drafted at 199cm.

Edited by dazzledavey36
  • Like 13

4 minutes ago, dazzledavey36 said:

Keep an eye out for Mitch King next year. Watched a couple of bushies game last year and his agression and 2nd and 3rd efforts just stood out.

Also played the 1 senior game for Wodonga Bulldogs last year against us and was jumping all over our ruckman who also was the Ovens and Murray interleague number 1 ruckman coached by Brendan Fevola. 

The kid can play.. Also King has grown to 202cm now after bring drafted at 199cm.

Do you think he will be the replacement 2nd ruck/forward?

I am unsure with Max King and favour giving him another year, as we know these kids take a while.

Even Fitzy is now playing for the Hawks, in the finals no less, after we released him and he is going ok, without dominating.

16 minutes ago, Redleg said:

Do you think he will be the replacement 2nd ruck/forward?

I am unsure with Max King and favour giving him another year, as we know these kids take a while.

Even Fitzy is now playing for the Hawks, in the finals no less, after we released him and he is going ok, without dominating.

I'm not sure mate. His last year at Murray he was the number 1 ruckman and rarely got spells up Forward. 

The problem i have with Max King is that he hasn't shown any gradual improvement at all. He has gone backwards this year to the point that he has now done bugger all at Development league.

I am all for giving talls to develop but he hasn't. Gawn Fitzpatrick and Spencer all played AFL level in just their 2nd year. King is spudding it up in the development league in his 3rd year.

He will be delisted.

• Like 4

51 minutes ago, AngryAtCasey said:

Vardy struggles to get on the park but could be an option, Cameron's stats are impressive but haven't seen any of him.

I think we need to keep Spencer as a back up for Max and give Mitch King time to develop.

...but we need someone who can play that forward/ruck role.

These guys would be looked at for sure.

Edited by rjay

6 minutes ago, dazzledavey36 said:

I'm not sure mate. His last year at Murray he was the number 1 ruckman and rarely got spells up Forward. 

The problem i have with Max King is that he hasn't shown any gradual improvement at all. He has gone backwards this year to the point that he has now done bugger all at Development league.

I am all for giving talls to develop but he hasn't. Gawn Fitzpatrick and Spencer all played AFL level in just their 2nd year. King is spudding it up in the development league in his 3rd year.

He will be delisted.

Someone posted that we are trying to hide Max King, so we can re rookie him. You obviously think that is BS, that he is just not up to it.

I haven't seen him play live  and have only read about his performances. Last year he was seemingly on the improve, but this year has apparently seen him go backwards.

I suppose we will know more after Casey finishes its season. 

I think we have enough developing kids now .

i also don't thing we will delist too many maybe 5 tops.

Probably end up with only two or three live picks and trade for experience to help get us to the next level , such as your Nick Dal Dantos, Scott Thompsons and Issac Smiths.Maybe a Vardy or a Daw

Along with Hibberd and  Melksham blending in with our developing youngsters such as Oliver, Pettacca , Hunt etc, just might propel us to a finals berth next season.

Edited by DeeZee

7 hours ago, Redleg said:

Someone posted that we are trying to hide Max King, so we can re rookie him. You obviously think that is BS, that he is just not up to it.

I haven't seen him play live  and have only read about his performances. Last year he was seemingly on the improve, but this year has apparently seen him go backwards.

I suppose we will know more after Casey finishes its season. 

Didn't get a clean run at it in preseason and neither his body nor his form have improved, I doubt we'd be hiding him for the purpose of keeping him as a rookie when we've got plenty of spots if we had to upgrade him. 

I think the one ruckman we might have been trying to hide at Casey is the big Oscar fella he's worked his way in to the senior side ahead of Max King. I like the way he moves and he's huge, not sure if he has the skills or mobility to play AFL but has been invited to the combine. I suspect we'll have a good look at him as a mature age recruit. Keen to see him play in the Prelim.

Was it ex-Geelong player Josh Walker that we passed on but many in here were divided over?  He was either worthwhile or a spud. For Brisbane he kicked 23g from 16 games and 4marks/game which was the same as Pederson. Not sure how much time he rucked, but averaged 5 hitouts a game.

http://www.footywire.com/afl/footy/ft_player_compare?playerStatus1=A&tid1=20&playerStatus2=A&tid2=12&type=A&pid1=3557&pid2=3552&fid1=S&fid2=S