• PODCAST LIVE @ 8:30pm      

Call: 03 9016 3666 or Skype: Demonland31
    Click Here for LIVE Chat
    If you still want to browse Demonland
    while listening to the Podcast
    choose pop up player below

TuneIn    Opens in New Tab
  • IMPORTANT: PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Posting unsubstantiated rumours on this website is strictly forbidden.

Demonland has made the difficult decision to not permit this platform to be used to discuss & debate the off-field issues relating to the Melbourne Football Club including matters currently being litigated between the Club & former Board members, board elections, the issue of illicit drugs in footy, the culture at the club & the personal issues & allegations against some of our players & officials ...

We do not take these issues & this decision lightly & of course we believe that these serious matters affecting the club we love & are so passionate about are worthy of discussion & debate & I wish we could provide a place where these matters can be discussed in a civil & respectful manner.

However these discussions unfortunately invariably devolve into areas that may be defamatory, libelous, spread unsubstantiated rumours & can effect the mental health of those involved. Even discussion & debate of known facts or media reports can lead to finger pointing, blame & personal attacks.

The repercussion is that these discussions can open this website, it’s owners & it’s users to legal action & may result in this website being forced to shutdown.

Our moderating team are all volunteers & cannot moderate the forum 24/7 & as a consequence problematic content that contravenes our rules & standards may go unnoticed for some time before it can be removed.

We reserve the right to delete posts that offend against our above policy & indeed, to ban posters who are repeat offenders or who breach our code of conduct.

WE HAVE BUILT A FANTASTIC ONLINE COMMUNITY AT DEMONLAND OVER THE PAST 23 YEARS & WE WOULD LIKE TO CONTINUE TO BE ABLE TO DISCUSS THE CLUB WE LOVE & ARE SO PASSIONATE ABOUT.

Thank you for your continued support & understanding. Go Dees.

Grimes and Trengove future rests with Goodwin

dazzledavey36

1 minute ago, stuie said:

If he has foot issues it hasn't stopped him from playing and dominating VFL.

But it has potentially stopped him from playing and dominating in the AFL due to inability to run quick and kick with penetration 

Just now, olisik said:

But it has potentially stopped him from playing and dominating in the AFL due to inability to run quick and kick with penetration 

Think it would be more his tank from being off his feet so long and the good run with injuries we've had that has stopped that. Fair few mates who go to Casey games have commented that he looks to have his pre-injury speed back. Not that he was ever quick, but he was really trudging for a while there.

Frankly, the best thing to do is bring Trenners in this week and then use his performance (or otherwise) as the basis for the decision. I think that Goodwin will be pleasantly surprised and act accordingly. We would be silly to offload a number two draft pick without giving him the chance to prove that he still has it at the highest level!

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, stuie said:

Think it would be more his tank from being off his feet so long and the good run with injuries we've had that has stopped that. Fair few mates who go to Casey games have commented that he looks to have his pre-injury speed back. Not that he was ever quick, but he was really trudging for a while there.

Hard to know. Even the club and himself didn't know he was injured for a period when the Richmond incident occurred. 

1 minute ago, olisik said:

Hard to know. Even the club and himself didn't know he was injured for a period when the Richmond incident occurred. 

Big difference though in how he ran and kicked back then though. Could barely kick it 30m, and he definitely doesn't have that problem now.

47 minutes ago, CBDees said:

Frankly, the best thing to do is bring Trenners in this week and then use his performance (or otherwise) as the basis for the decision. I think that Goodwin will be pleasantly surprised and act accordingly. We would be silly to offload a number two draft pick without giving him the chance to prove that he still has it at the highest level!

Spend 2 years in carefully planned rehab with him and then judge his future on 1 meaningless end of season game? Not sure that's a great plan.

• Like 6

1 hour ago, CBDees said:

The club saw fit to give him a season to see if he could EVEN get up and running ( literally )  

He has

Surely it just as prudent now to maintain that line of thought and grant him another year with preseason inclusive to see if he can now regain his very top form. He has a lot of upside if fit and firing. He was an elite kid and top draft selection for nothing.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, poita said:

Both Grimes and Trengove should be retained, unless either wants out for more regular opportunities. Even if they are not considered best 22, it is highly unlikely we will have such a good run with injury again next year, so experienced depth is important.

Clearly Grimes has done something to [censored] Roos off - hopefully his prospects improve once Roos goes. It would be nice to have a coach picking the team on merit again. Trengove will be better for having a full pre season.

Grimes is slow and turns it over, that's why he has fallen out of favour.   He plays a half back role and is not in front of Hunt,  Salem, Jetta, Vince, Melksham and Hibbo if he come in.  They also have Wagner and White waiting in the wings

• Like 1

If you had said, 3-4 years ago, that these two would possibly be delisted from the club at the end of 2016, you would have been laughed off the forum.

How quickly the fortunes of a player can change.  I love what both Grimes and Trengove have brought the club during their time here, but the game stops for no-one.  It continues to evolve and change and it can leave players behind.  You could argue that, for a variety of reasons, it has done this with both of these players.  One has comeback superbly from injury, only to find that the pace of the game may have passed him by, while the other just doesn't seem to cut it in many areas of senior football anymore.  It's a shame, but a fact of life.

I'd give Trengove one more year to see how he goes.  Another uninterrupted pre-season might do wonders for him, but if it doesn't, the damage is minimal.  For Grimes, it's probably time he sought other opportunities.  I'll be sad to see either of them go, but that's football.

• Like 1

If there is one bloke who should be given the chance to leave with some dignity, it's Jack Grimes. 

Our banner on the weekend should just read 'SORRY JACK.' if he has played his last game.

Just comparing stats for Hibberd and Grimes, there's very little difference.
Hibberd is 8 months younger, 1cm shorter, 6kg heavier.
I can't see us delisting Grimes and then recruiting Hibberd. Just like for like IMO.

Grimes:

Games          Kicks        Handballs     Disposals           Marks Goals Behinds Tackles Hitouts Frees For Frees Ag. Brownlow
Career   100 11.7 8.4 20.1 5.7 0.1 0.2 2.9 0 0.9 0.5 0.09

Hibberd:

Career   84 13.5 8.6 22.1 5.7 0.1 0.1 1.5 0 0.8 0.6

1 hour ago, stuie said:

Spend 2 years in carefully planned rehab with him and then judge his future on 1 meaningless end of season game? Not sure that's a great plan.

I don't think that would be the plan, more that they would get to gauge his performance and his capacity to still play at this level, that would assist them on the sort of contract to offer him for the next 1 to 2 years. No game is meaningless, we need to develop a winning culture and a game like this where the opposition has a lot to lose will be a guide to where we are at.

20 minutes ago, M_9 said:

I can't see us delisting Grimes and then recruiting Hibberd. Just like for like IMO.

Grimes:

Games          Kicks        Handballs     Disposals           Marks Goals Behinds Tackles Hitouts Frees For Frees Ag. Brownlow

Hibberd:

I say this with all due respect to Grimes, but those stats don't show us how many of those handballs were hospital ones or to a stationary player, nor does it show how many of those kicks were turnovers or out on the full (which he seems to do at least once a game).

Hibberd is a far better player than Grimes.  That's just fact.

34 minutes ago, M_9 said:

Grimes:

Hibberd:

Hibberd is a much better kick and decision maker than Grimes. And that's what it comes down to with Jack. He's too unreliable with ball in hand.

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, Dante said:

I don't think that would be the plan, more that they would get to gauge his performance and his capacity to still play at this level, that would assist them on the sort of contract to offer him for the next 1 to 2 years. No game is meaningless, we need to develop a winning culture and a game like this where the opposition has a lot to lose will be a guide to where we are at.

Didn't they do that earlier in the year when he played 2 games?

51 minutes ago, M_9 said:

Grimes:

Hibberd:

If you were purely going by stats you wouldn't be interested in Cyril as a trade either, I mean he only gets 14 touches and 3 marks a game.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, stuie said:

Didn't they do that earlier in the year when he played 2 games?

Yes they did, but I would imagine that Trenners is fitter now than he was then, remembering he didn't have a full pre season.

I would hope they would give him a run to see how he has improved over the year.  Also some of the younger players are running on empty, Clarry has coped two heavy knocks over the las few games and I reckon he's in need of a spell. Gus is looking pretty tired and I wouldn't be surprised if he gets a rest as well.

I'm not sure why we have this big rush for pushing the kids along, there is room for some of the senior players as well and I reckon we've given some of the younger players too many games, I thought we learnt from last year when we didn't give Gus enough rest.

1 minute ago, Dante said:

Yes they did, but I would imagine that Trenners is fitter now than he was then, remembering he didn't have a full pre season.

I would hope they would give him a run to see how he has improved over the year.  Also some of the younger players are running on empty, Clarry has coped two heavy knocks over the las few games and I reckon he's in need of a spell. Gus is looking pretty tired and I wouldn't be surprised if he gets a rest as well.

I'm not sure why we have this big rush for pushing the kids along, there is room for some of the senior players as well and I reckon we've given some of the younger players too many games, I thought we learnt from last year when we didn't give Gus enough rest.

I'd like Trenners to play, and he might be a small chance, but I don't think they'd be taking anything out of that game that they wouldn't have already decided.

58 minutes ago, america de cali said:

DIdn't GNF "confirm" in his inimitable style that Trengove is for the chop and will become a stockbroker?

No he didn't. GNF said Trengrove was in trouble.

A decision has not been made yet.

He is doing work experience with a leading Melbourne stockbroker Baillieu Holst. It is Baillieu Holsts view that he is likely to be delisted and they are considering him for a permanent position next year.

3 minutes ago, Grand New Flag said:

No he didn't. GNF said Trengrove was in trouble.

A decision has not been made yet.

He is doing work experience with a leading Melbourne stockbroker Baillieu Holst. It is Baillieu Holsts view that he is likely to be delisted and they are considering him for a permanent position next year.

Really? Still?

TrenGOVE.

"Mitchie" I can accept but an ex captain of the club deserves to have his name spelled right.

• Like 2

Trengove could be a real footy career disaster story.

Recruited number 2 in his draft.

First couple of years very good.

Made Co-Captain of a very ordinary side.

Gets a severe foot injury.

Misses two years of footy.

His limited pace takes another hit.

Struggles to make a much improved side on his return.

Decision to be made at season's end as to whether he is given another contract.

Very sad for a talented and loyal player.

• Like 4

Rain is about in these hills and my rainforest is at a wet peace and it becomes difficult to light your cigar because the smoke hides from the clouds and it is akin to saying goodbye to the faithful and it is not easy unless you can broker a new space for them as consideration.

And so it is with the 2 Jacks anointed by the mad nun Mark Neeld when they were still in that young group who should have been learning to play with enthusiasm and daring not matching wits with the cool heads of experienced leaders in the opposition.

And now our list has 20 of 40 in that 23 and under group who should be taught and nurtured to become brave and fearless and much of this learning is through being prepared to let them make mistakes and SG and BMc and JR have to have the courage to hop on that train.

And we have a good spread of talent aka the cream in the 24 to 27 group who are our instigators our torches our will.

But in our leaders those with age experience and clarity and our directors we have only 2 Bernie and Nat but ok 4 if you count Matt j and Pedo and these are the few who you would ask to read the game and organise the defence if there is a run on.

And its raining heavier now and the mist comes up the gorge and I can drink it.

And then fighting scorpions is Dunn and garland and Terls and Dawes and the 2 Jacks. Three need to be delisted to give us three picks and three need to be swapped for other players two preferably in the experienced group say Hibberd and Reiwoldt and the third for OMeara or Rockliff or Mitchell or FYYYFFE. And Jason Taylor came to me with a smoking stodgie and told me his best was still to come...

10 hours ago, AngryAtCasey said:

Because there's about 6 - 8 other players that will be let go before we even get to Trengove. Eg Terlich, Newton, Dawes, Pedersen, Grimes, M. Jones, Michie, Max King.

Given we have no 1st round pick and our 2nd round pick will go for Hibberd we'll be required to use our 3rd & 4th round picks (45 & 63) at the draft to go with upgrading Wagner for our minimum required 3 list changes.

Now if you want to delist a Trengove as an extra, well then he's replaced with our next pick in the draft ie 81. Otherwise it's by a free or delisted free agent. And looking at the list, there's not much there that excites me.

Thanks, well if it plays out like that, we might as well keep him as a token gesture but I still can't see him fitting in the senior side

3 hours ago, M_9 said:

Grimes:

Hibberd:

Grimes has nearly twice the tackle count.

I actually think that Grimes desperation, defensive pressure and ability to find the ball at AFL level set him streets above Mitchie who a few in this column have suggested we retain.

Add in Grimes leadership and I actually think he is a keeper in our present circumstances.