Billy Stretch Appreciation Thread

dazzledavey36

I think the biggest issue with stretch is his lack of confidence with the ball. Watching the swans replay every time he got a mark he looked like he wanted to keep going, but ended up going back on his mark and then kicking long down the line. It’s a real momentum killer for a team that is at its most dangerous when it moves the ball quickly (ie second quarter vs the bombers).

• Like 3

Really think he should have been given another chance. We need some leg speed, instead we bring in 2 slower types. I have no issue with Jetta and Lewis, it is more about who gives way. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Earl Hood said:

Really think he should have been given another chance. We need some leg speed, instead we bring in 2 slower types. I have no issue with Jetta and Lewis, it is more about who gives way. 

I think he will be, ANZAC eve... ?   Of the two games coming... the Sainrts are the harder unit.

Tiges with more small nippy players might suit Stretch more ?  It might turn out to be a more Open game.

11 minutes ago, spirit of norm smith said:

He showed his leg speed in 4-5 contests last week. Unbelievable that we want outside run and he is dropped. FFS. 

He seems to be the current whipping boy.

He had twice the possessions of Spargo but is out.

He is not getting a continuous run at it and in that scenario you are nervous in your game, thinking that one mistake and you are out. 

He is no champion, but has pace and disposal skill, something we lack and the Saints don't.

I can't see Lewis playing saturday and wednesday night after a hammy return. Maybe he will be a late out and Billy comes back in. Maybe they want Billy for the Tigers. 

If Billy is not getting games during the year, I think he will leave.

We were flat footed against the Saints at the G last year and that is my big fear saturday.

Edited by Redleg
  • Like 4

7 hours ago, spirit of norm smith said:

He showed his leg speed in 4-5 contests last week. Unbelievable that we want outside run and he is dropped. FFS. 

Yes but speed is only good if you have the ball or get it 30 occasions in a match and unfortunately (much as I would like Billy to) he just keeps coming up short.

as also he stops play and doesn't have he footy smarts to switch or a short kick Could someone please  do s check on his handball/kick ratio. Very low I imagine .

The sand in the hourglass is running out for Billy. Given we are probably the second slowest side in the AFL it's quite telling that stretch isn't part of the coaches current plans.

I think there is a place for him in the side, but his next chance might be his last so his next stint needs to be his best footy.

I'd like to see him back against the tigers.

• Like 1

Billy had less game time that most last week. (24 minutes less than Petracca for instance.) When you take this into account, his disposal per minutes played were more or less on par with some of our better players. For whatever reason we dropped him I doubt it is because he was not finding enough of the ball. 

5 hours ago, 58er said:

Yes but speed is only good if you have the ball or get it 30 occasions in a match and unfortunately (much as I would like Billy to) he just keeps coming up short.

as also he stops play and doesn't have he footy smarts to switch or a short kick Could someone please  do s check on his handball/kick ratio. Very low I imagine .

agree... but why do they constantly play him as an inside mid at VFL level if we are trying to develop the skills you mention. I know it builds up his tackling strength etc but perhaps it is time to .... Let Billy Run !!

• Like 2

he works hard to get from contest to contest. but he is:

• not slow but not quick
  • doesn't break the lines
  • can't hit targets by foot
  • doesn't put on enough defensive pressure
  • is limited to being able to play one role, purely as a midfielder

he's unfortunately proved to be entirely vanilla as a footballer at this point - he's like jkh in that regard

• Like 3

46 minutes ago, whatwhatsaywhat said:

he works hard to get from contest to contest. but he is:

• not slow but not quick
  • doesn't break the lines
  • can't hit targets by foot
  • doesn't put on enough defensive pressure
  • is limited to being able to play one role, purely as a midfielder

he's unfortunately proved to be entirely vanilla as a footballer at this point - he's like jkh in that regard

"can't hit targets by foot" - that one is incorrect.

• 1 month later...

Gives it his best and knows how to play the wing in terms of where to run but there's just nothing AFL about him. Small, not quick, can't change direction, has a 40m pop kick. In a good side you might be able to use him as wing depth but in a side like this he's just another ordinary player.

• Like 2

I'm not a fan of Billy unfortunately at the moment.  Works hard but his skill level is awful.

Still - I'd persist with him over say Lewis for the rest of the year.  The season is cooked so mind as well get as much time into Stretch/Lockhart/Baker/Spargo/Hore etc as possible to see if they will make it or not and to harden there bodies to stress of AFL footy.

25 minutes ago, chookrat said:

I reckon Stretch has been building over the past month and could be a very good player for us with some continuity. His confidence is building and I think will have a breakput game very soon. 

He is a turnover merchant. Totally saps confidence off the whole team and takes so long to kick the thing. 

• Like 2

I know this is a Stretch thread, but I reckon our coaches (Goodwin?) have severely mismanaged Stretch and Petracca.

Stretch has yo-yoed in and out of the side for 3 or 4 years now, while someone like ANB has had continuity and managed to get some confidence up last year.

Stretch doesn't know what his game is anymore and he seems to overthink everything. 

Petracca has done a lot right this season, but that internal spray they gave him mid last year for not passing off in one set up has really damaged his confidence. His goal kicking wasn't great in the early part of last year, but it has got worse since the moment that selfish play of his was allegedly pulled out in front of every team mate.

He tries to do too much too often and sometimes those dinky kicks inside 50 come off, but more often than not, he should be backing himself in to kick the goal. 

I suspect that if Goodwin had his time again, he and his team would have handled Stretch and Petracca differently.

Billy won't make it now and Christian can't seem to take that next step, which is convert his multiple shots on goal into scoreboard power. He'd be a very good player if he managed that.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, A F said:

Petracca has done a lot right this season, but that internal spray they gave him mid last year for not passing off in one set up has really damaged his confidence. His goal kicking wasn't great in the early part of last year, but it has got worse since the moment that selfish play of his was allegedly pulled out in front of every team mate.

If that allegation is correct we have reverted to Neeld-esque level bad player management; tearing strips off players was a Neeld specialty. 

Scary to hear that.

Edited by Lucifer's Hero

10 minutes ago, A F said:

etracca has done a lot right this season, but that internal spray they gave him mid last year for not passing off in one set up has really damaged his confidence. His goal kicking wasn't great in the early part of last year, but it has got worse since the moment that selfish play of his was allegedly pulled out in front of every team mate.

IF this is true,  then he doesn't Have what it takes to be Elite...  nor a strong AFL player.

• Like 1