Christian Salem

Ted Lasso

I don't believe Salem is a defender, I think he is a midfielder, but at present I think he needs to grow into his body more (before we put him in the midfield). So it will be a bit of a nothing year from Salem IMO. Once he does muscle up a bit, and mature, I think he'll be our most effective midfielder. There really aren't many weaknesses with Salem, he instinctively a ball getter, that is why he is struggling a bit down back, because I don't believe it is his natural game.

Edited by KingDingAling
typo

With his kick and nouse the HBF is an ideal training for setting up forward trusts. As he matures, rotating him with Vince into the middle to do likewise from the end of a Viney or Oliver handball, makes a lot of sense.

Edited by PaulRB
  • Like 1

26 minutes ago, Fifty-5 said:

Fall over chasing Varcoe was very poor.  Would not like to see a repeat.

Frankly if Matt Jones had done that this place would have burned him at the stake.

Oh please... He did what thousand other footballers do and slipped over while trying to give a decent chass.

Edited by dazzledavey36
  • Like 6

1 hour ago, DeeSpencer said:

Got turned and burned by Varcoe on the southern stand wing. Otherwise does very well in one on ones, is composed with the ball and has been an important part in getting balance to the side. Sticks key tackles when required.

I'd love him forward but consider at half forward we have:

Kennedy - going really well
Harmes - great tackle and pressure player doing his job
Kent - up and down but the ups the last 6 quarters have been really good
Brayshaw - just getting back to fitness but is a class player
Petracca - building fitness in the VFL and ready to impact when he gets a chance
Vanders and JKH - injured, both shown promise at AFL level

At half back we have:

Vince - gun, but needed to rotate in the midfield
Lumumba - playing pretty well but always a lottery what he'll do with it
Wagner - 2 career games from the rookie list
Hunt - 1 game

This is correct. We are lacking small defenders who can use the ball well.

in saying that, he is better suited to a high half forward goal kicking role. He is great one on one and had a solid kick.

future roles will hopefully see him playing stints in the midfield and used as a goal kicking option.

For mine, we're just starting to build a backline suited to 2016 AFL football, and Salem is an integral part. You need defenders that offer one if not all of the following:

A penetrating kick, ability to shutdown an opponent, and the ability to break the lines. With the exception of the obvious Varcoe one-on-one, he's been really solid defensively, and is a penetrating kick.

He's just as much value to the team as a defender as he would be as a mid.

• Like 2

Salem is doing his job just like Lumumba is. You could look through the Hawks or cats and see blokes who aren't racking up possessions every week or playing out of their skin, but it doesn't mean they aren't vital cogs in a winning machine. Salem's kicking was good on Sunday and he played his role well. don't know why people would question him.

Like Heppell, once he gets continuity at half back I'm sure they will put him in the guts. wouldn't be surprised if they did so in the second second half of the year.

40 minutes ago, Fifty-5 said:

Fall over chasing Varcoe was very poor.  Would not like to see a repeat.

Frankly if Matt Jones had done that this place would have burned him at the stake.

Harsh, I reckon. It was disappointing, but I just put it down to trying to get going quickly knowing he was chasing someone with serious pace. He might have avoided it by going half a notch slower, but I doubt the chase would have much impact if he went at anything but full pace against Varcoe.

• Like 4

1 minute ago, Nasher said:

Harsh, I reckon. It was disappointing, but I just put it down to trying to get going quickly knowing he was chasing someone with serious pace. He might have avoided it by going half a notch slower, but I doubt the chase would have much impact if he went at anything but full pace against Varcoe.

Little league error that directly resulted in a goal.  Rule #1: don't fall over - see BenKen.  I picture players like Salem on GF day - that's not acceptable.

• Like 2

47 minutes ago, Petraccattack said:

Hes doing fine, he will explode soon enough.

I wouldn't hold my breath waiting for him to "explode". What we're seeing is what he is - a defender who gives a contest, and is a very reliable user of the ball. I think with confidence in himself as a defender and his teammates he'll increase he'll slowly increase his rate of attack, but I can't see him ever being a 30 possession a game ball magnet.

As others have said though, he's incredibly dependable with ball in hand.

• Like 1

No concerns about Salem whatsoever.  I'd say he's just down on a bit of form so far this year; not terrible, just down on people's (rightfully) high expectations.  Perhaps some time up on the wing to let him have a bit more of a run at it would help him get his touch back??  

But, like I said, no concerns about Salem or his role in the team - if this is how he performs when out of form, we've got ourselves a real gem!

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Fifty-5 said:

Little league error that directly resulted in a goal.  Rule #1: don't fall over - see BenKen.  I picture players like Salem on GF day - that's not acceptable.

Seriously? He tripped over chasing an opponent. Any goal is rarely the fault of just one person, and to say he's now not a grand final type player because he fell over once is ridiculous.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, stuie said:

Seriously? He tripped over chasing an opponent. Any goal is rarely the fault of just one person, and to say he's now not a grand final type player because he fell over once is ridiculous.

That's not what I said.

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, Fifty-5 said:

Very harsh. It was a mistake that could be attributed to the smarts and class of his opponent. No different to a player losing a marking contest.

3 minutes ago, mo64 said:

Very harsh. It was a mistake that could be attributed to the smarts and class of his opponent. No different to a player losing a marking contest.

the only real weakness I see in him is lack of pace. he doesn't have the acceleration. reminds me of Malceski. just a damn good footballer.

1 hour ago, Petraccattack said:

Hes doing fine, he will explode soon enough.

I prefer the slow burn to the explosion, tends to be more sustainable. 

He along with Harmes and a couple of our other 2 year plus players are tracking very nicely...for a change.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, stuie said:

Explain?

He's saying that he rates Salem so highly he "pictures" him as being capable of representing Melbourne on GF day, but wouldn't want those types of errors on such a big and important stage.

He wouldn't say the same thing about Matt Jones, because he wouldn't "picture" a player like Jones getting to GF day. 

• Like 3

Just now, ProDee said:

He's saying that he rates Salem so highly he "pictures" him as being capable of representing Melbourne on GF day, but wouldn't want those types of errors on such a big and important stage.

He wouldn't say the same thing about Matt Jones, because he wouldn't "picture" a player like Jones getting to GF day. 

Don't remember asking you for your explanation or your opinion of an unrelated player, not matter how much you want to give it, again.

1 minute ago, ProDee said:

I don't think Old could have explained it that well.  

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Clint Bizkit said:

Salem, McDonald, Dunn and Jetta I hardly notice now.

They are forming such a reliable defensive unit whereby the likes of Lumumba, Wagner and even Hunt can come in and play their roles knowing that the others will take much of the burden.

Wagner and Hunt are new to it but neither one looks like he will be a passenger. I felt much better when Dunn went back into the side because he is a much more reliable conveyance than Garland. I get the feeling that Garland's era is coming to a close because of the qualities the new defenders are bringing to the table.