Tom McDonald (and Oscar) SIGNS.

dazzledavey36

10 minutes ago, Diamond said:

And red flag waving commos read The Age.

And name calling ....(insert insult here).... read Demonland.

• Like 1

Back to the person of interest in this thread..

If he decides to chase coin elsewhere, (hard to see it happening) I hope the club have someone in their sights to replace him. 

I'd rather him stay, as I think his best football is up there with that of any key defender in the league. But as previously said, he must address his weakness areas and consistently play within his limits or he will genuinely become a problem player. Unlike Garland and Dunn he still has time. But his form is far too yo-yo like For my liking.

Hard to really know what's happening re: contract. But my preference would be for us to keep T-Mac as a CHB and chase hard for a replacement for Dunn. Sam Day, Steven May or Hurley.

edit: having a nightmare with predictive txt today.

Edited by stevethemanjordan
  • Like 3

Just now, stevethemanjordan said:

Back to the person of interest in this thread..

If he decides to chase coin elsewhere, (hard to see it happening) I hope the club have someone in their sights to replace him. 

I'd rather have T Mac, as I think his best football is up there with that of any key defender in the league. But as preciously said, he must address his weakness areas and either consistently play within his limits or he will genuinely become a problem player. Unlike Garland and Dunn he still has time. But his form is far too yo-yo like in my eyes.

Hard to really know what's happening re: contract. But my preference would be for us to keep T-Mac as a CHB and chase hard for a replacement for Dunn. Sam Day, Steven May or Hurley.

This is the key point that some seem to be glossing over as well.  

If they are happy to see T Mac go, who is the direct replacement?  Not Frost or O Mac.  Neither have shown they are capable.  If it doesn't end up being Hurley, can we entice, as you mentioned, a Sam Day down to play for us?  If not then there doesn't seem to be a great deal of quality on offer.  Clubs tend to hang on to KP players as much as they can.

It will be interesting to see what unfolds over the next month or two in regards to his contract.

Adam Tommlinson is a very talented key position player who isn't getting a look in at the Giants, we have a good relationship with GWS, Bugg, Frost and Tyson here already and wouldn't cost much at all imo

• Like 1

Hurley or Day are not replacements in my mind for Tmac..They would take the primary defender role and release Tom to do what he does better ( i.e the 2nd defender as it were ) I think he would be much better in this roie.

If Tmac stays thats not a reason to not seek a Hurley or a Day etc..

The back needs a bit of sorting out.  Weve got a couple of blooming half back flanks and a gem in Nifty Nev but there  is still much re-jigging  and personel hunting to go 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Peter Griffen said:

Adam Tommlinson is a very talented key position player who isn't getting a look in at the Giants, we have a good relationship with GWS, Bugg, Frost and Tyson here already and wouldn't cost much at all imo

He is a natural roaming CHF and is limited positionally speaking.

Hullett is a very similar player if you compare their attributes and physical traits.

Last year I was interested but we've since picked up Hullett and Weideman.

Add Hogan, Watts, Pedo and Dawes to the picture and it's clear there is no need to target another med-tall key forward who is positionally limited player.

2 minutes ago, stevethemanjordan said:

Hullett is a very similar player if you compare their attributes and physical traits.

Add Hogan, Watts, Pedo and Dawes to the picture and it's clear there is no need to target another med-tall key forward who is positionally limited player.

I thought they let him run with the ball in the 2s the last two week. 45+ possessions each game. 

On 5/26/2016 at 3:34 PM, stevethemanjordan said:

Tommlinsons running power is far superior to any of the guys you've listed, he could play the Tom Lynch ( Crows ) role or even like a Roo role where he runs up and back and hits up at the ball.

I really think he has the attributes to play as a running tall defender, he is racking up huge numbers in the seconds at the moment, though i know the competition isn't that strong.

if we could get him for the right price i think he'd be a good pick up, certainly wouldn't be willing to give up much for him, which is why i think he'll go elsewhere at years end

I think come seasons end,should we perform at least as well as we have been, that we will be curiously entertained by a new dynamic coming into the equation.  Some other club's players might actually want to join us. If our wagon is going a bit better than their's ( club ) or if  not getting the games  or whatever  then a player may feel there's a niche he can carve out for himself with us. Not saying it WILL happen, but it might. This wouldnt have happen until fairly recently.  Bernie being the trail blazer I feel.. Other may have watched with interest...or might start now.

Going to quite fascinating for mine.

I think Tom would be a nong to go, he just needs to reset his gyroscope to reality and get on with it.  Id be very surprised if Goody wouldnt want to find  a journey man to really make Full Back his.

• Like 2

33 minutes ago, Wiseblood said:

If they are happy to see T Mac go, who is the direct replacement?  

I don't think they'd be happy to see him go in the same way they were Howe. I think they'd want to keep him but not at any price.

24 minutes ago, Peter Griffen said:

Tomlinson is a good one, isn't getting a game at the moment but is only 193cm according to his player profile and I think he's been playing midfield in the NEAFL? 53 possessions last week though. 

Just now, Dr. Gonzo said:

I don't think they'd be happy to see him go in the same way they were Howe. I think they'd want to keep him but not at any price.

Tomlinson is a good one, isn't getting a game at the moment but is only 193cm according to his player profile and I think he's been playing midfield in the NEAFL? 53 possessions last week though. 

I don't think McDonald and Howe are similar cases - one is a CHB, the other was a flanker who skipped around packs, kicked a few goals and took a hanger once a fortnight.  Howe was easy replaceable, McDonald not so much.

31 minutes ago, Peter Griffen said:

Tommlinsons running power is far superior to any of the guys you've listed, he could play the Tom Lynch ( Crows ) role or even like a Roo role where he runs up and back and hits up at the ball.

I really think he has the attributes to play as a running tall defender, he is racking up huge numbers in the seconds at the moment, though i know the competition isn't that strong.

if we could get him for the right price i think he'd be a good pick up, certainly wouldn't be willing to give up much for him, which is why i think he'll go elsewhere at years end

Superior to Hogan's?

From a list management perspective, where do you see him fitting in? If you are saying he could play a Tom Lynch role, you are basically saying that Watts has no role in the side. Once Weideman is ready, (earliest being next year) he will take the FF position which will mean Hogan will play the position best suited to his attributes which is clearly CHF. His running capacity is enormous. Which leaves Watts to be the dangerous third tall.

Dawes and Pedo are simply gap fillers and are not in our long-term plans but are good backup for the next couple of years. And Hullett is the other 'third tall' who is currently playing as a leadup key forward at VFL level. So again, how do you see him fitting in to the forward-line in the future?

I've seen him as a defender and GWS have seen him as a defender and he does not cut it as one. His natural position and best suited position is as a lead-up forward. Brereton spent a bit of time up at GWS as a mentor/coach and he has said it many times also.

We'll be getting a genuine key defender at the end of the year. Not a makeshift one. 

We need to address weakness areas on our list and continue to be smart about who we bring in.

Edited by stevethemanjordan
  • Like 1

33 minutes ago, Peter Griffen said:

I think the 6'3" Tomlinson could make an excellent running CHB.   Like Ross Glendinning was as a 6'2" CHB.

I think it would suit this zoned game.

45 minutes ago, stevethemanjordan said:

Pedersen and Dawes seem on the way out if a ready replacement is there to fill in the gap.

29 minutes ago, Wiseblood said:

I don't think McDonald and Howe are similar cases - one is a CHB, the other was a flanker who skipped around packs, kicked a few goals and took a hanger once a fortnight.  Howe was easy replaceable, McDonald not so much.

That was my point.

• Like 1

The HS article on McD holding off was a false alarm!  I eat humble pie at my doubts.

'MELBOURNE coach Paul Roos would be "staggered" if out-of-contract defender Tom McDonald doesn't re-sign with the club'.  http://www.afl.com.au/news/2016-05-26/roos-would-be-staggered-if-tom-mcdonald-leaves?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=RSS+feed%3A+AFL+Latest+News

"I'd be staggered to think he didn't sign with the club. He's in our leadership group, he seems really committed, he seems to enjoy coming in every single day.

"So I would be staggered if that doesn't get sorted out sooner rather than later."

Imminent?

Edited by Lucifer's Hero
  • Like 2

On 5/26/2016 at 4:32 PM, Lucifer's Hero said:

False alarm! 

'MELBOURNE coach Paul Roos would be "staggered" if out-of-contract defender Tom McDonald doesn't re-sign with the club'.  http://www.afl.com.au/news/2016-05-26/roos-would-be-staggered-if-tom-mcdonald-leaves?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=RSS+feed%3A+AFL+Latest+News

"I'd be staggered to think he didn't sign with the club. He's in our leadership group, he seems really committed, he seems to enjoy coming in every single day.

"So I would be staggered if that doesn't get sorted out sooner rather than later."

Imminent?

Signed i'd say, wouldn't rule out the possibility of three giant announcements before the Queens birthday game, Mcdonald, Jetta and Garlett. 

Just now, Peter Griffen said:

Signed i'd say, wouldn't rule out the possibility of three giant announcements before the Queens birthday game, Mcdonald, Jetta and Garlett. 

Please add Watts to that list and make it 4. 

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, Peter Griffen said:

1 down 2 to go

• Like 3

25 minutes ago, Skuit said:

The Paul Roos article makes me more uncertain not less. Paul talks through the media. Seems to me he's getting a message across to Tom.

Agreed. This sounds like a 'pull your head in - we value you, but not at any price - sign the deal'.

• Like 3

9 hours ago, ProDee said:

If you'd said that to the poster I've just responded to I wouldn't have needed to.

interesting that their post is 22 hours old yet you say nothing to them.  They don't post what they did and we're not having this interlude.

Just showing your colours I suspect.

I'm not showing any colours. just the respect that there is a time and a place for politics, but a football forums is not one of them.