Round 1 Team

CHF

16 minutes ago, Mad_Melbourne said:

But when did I say that? All I stated was his benefit is those pressure acts. 

Admittedly I think Pedo is vastly over rated by most on here, but I said the forward structure needs three talls Hogan, Frost, Pedo whilst Dawes is injured is the way to go? 

Edit: you have not even refuted the observations which I was making describing a zone set further up the field and attempts to cause the earlier turn over and thus I see more value in frost playing up there. 

Without seeing the game live I cannot, and you may well be right re setting up the forward zone further up the ground, it's hard to say from TV footage IMO, could've been frost did that particular act during one of his brief spells in the ruck though no?

20 hours ago, Clint Bizkit said:

It's funny how so much emphasis is placed on being ready for round 1.

It would be great if Brayshaw was fit, but if he doesn't play until round 2 and even 3 then it's hardly the end of the world. The way it is talked about it is like if a player misses round 1 then they are out for the entire season.

it's because it means your preseason has been officially 'interupted' and you can therefore claim your golden ticket

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Sir Why You Little said:

Round 1 will not be an easy game

GW$ will have a good side against us...

Mumford is key to that though. He plays and I reckon we really struggle. He doesn't and we win.

• Like 1

GWS are so quick if they are allowed any time and space, but i am really confident if we bring the same pressure as we did against port that we can stop that game and make it a bit of a grinding contested game, which suits us and i think leads to a good dees win to start the season, 

Then hopefully we come out and belt Essendon, Hogan and Jeffy to kick five plus each 

FB: Garland  Dunn  Jetta

HB: Salem  McDonald Vince

C: M. Jones  Jones  Grimes

HF: Vanders   Hogan  Kent

FF: Watts   Pedersen  Garlett

Foll: Gawn  Tyson   Viney

Int: Oliver  Harmes  Bugg  Lumumba

Would love to see more of Stretch, Wagner and Hunt to see if they can push for round 1. Just haven't seen enough. At this stage a returning Lumumba gets the nod. And Bugg.

Kennedy v Kent v Harmes v Oliver v a returning Brayshaw remains  a battle for a couple of spots

As does Frost v Pedersen

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Peter Griffen said:

Clayton Oliver has done his chances no harm at all, and he really looks to be building into it still

I know they said the same thing about Brayshaw last year but I really think they will take it slow with Oliver. Having said that he is in my Round 1 team.

After NAB 2:

Jetta Dunn Garland

Bugg McDonald Salem

Vanders N.Jones Vince

Watts Pederson Kent

Garlett Hogan Harmes

Gawn Tyson Viney

Grimes Brayshaw Lumumba Oliver

• Like 1

On 2/29/2016 at 8:02 PM, Nasher said:

B:Garland, Dunn, Jetta
HB: Salem, McDonald T, Lumumba
C: Brayshaw, Tyson, Vince
HF: Watts, Pedersen, vandenBerg
F:Garlett, Hogan, Kent
Foll:Gawn, Jones N, Viney
Int: Oliver, Bugg, Kennedy, Harmes (or Stretch for any of the others)

Bolded are the the players I see as the core group (there are 15) - injury/fitness the only thing that might stop those players from playing.  The non-bolded names I see as being hotly contested.

After I named all my players in position, I was left with 5 names that had to go in to 4 (i.e. the interchange).  I'm comfortable with Oliver, but the jury is still out on Bugg and Kennedy, and I'm not sure Harmes is better than Stretch, so I expect I'll flip-flop and change my mind on the last 3 or so players in the leadup to round 1.  Matt Jones is also in the frame based on NAB1 form - I'm not a fan by any means, but am open-minded enough to select him on merit if warranted.

Other notes:

Assumed Petracca not available for round 1.

Assumed Dawes not available for round 1 and behind Pedersen anyway.  Pedersen ahead of Frost, subject to further analysis over the remainder of the PS.

Lumumba on the HBF is more what I think the bosses will do rather than what I like.  The fresher faces such as Hunt and Wagner who might push for this spot didn't on the weekend.  Grimes might play here also.  

I missed NAB2, but Matt Jones was reportedly excellent again.  There is going to be at least one player who misses out who is very unlucky.  

By the sounds of it, I need to make room for Matt Jones and Grimes.  One obvious change would be Brayshaw who must be in some doubt for round 1 now.  I still want Oliver and Bugg on my bench and I still think the coaches will favour Lumumba.  To that end, I would like some direction on who I choose between Kennedy and Harmes from you guys who saw NAB2 please! Failing that, I would choose Harmes by default just because I like him.

• Like 1

post nab 2:

B: Jetta - Dunn - Garland

HB: Salem - T. McDonald - Vince

C: vandenBerg - N. Jones - Bugg

HF: Watts - Pedersen - Brayshaw

F: Kent - Hogan - Garlett

Foll: Gawn - Tyson - Viney

I/C: Oliver - Frost - Kennedy - M Jones

Emerg: Michie - Grimes - Harmes

i can't fathom how lumumba can come straight back in on zero prep. i think he's borderline to make it into our best 25 as it stands, let alone with virtually no pre-season.

Edited by DemonAndrew
Forgot M Jones
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, DemonAndrew said:

post nab 2:

B: Jetta - Dunn - Garland

HB: Salem - T. McDonald - Vince

C: vandenBerg - N. Jones - Bugg

HF: Watts - Pedersen - Brayshaw

F: Kent - Hogan - Garlett

Foll: Gawn - Tyson - Viney

I/C: Oliver - Frost - Kennedy - M Jones

Emerg: Michie - Grimes - Harmes

i can't fathom how lumumba can come straight back in on zero prep. i think he's borderline to make it into our best 25 as it stands, let alone with virtually no pre-season.

Agree Lumumba cannot possibly get a gig Round 1!

Oliver must play. He is a solid contributor at clearances already, and that's the most important quality for any player to have except maybe contested marking ala Hogan. Jones, Vince, Viney, Brayshaw, Vandenberg, Tyson, Petracca and Oliver in the guts means eventually we will bash most sides into submission.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, DeeSpencer said:

FB: Garland  Dunn  Jetta

HB: Salem  McDonald Vince

C: M. Jones  Jones  Grimes

HF: Vanders   Hogan  Kent

FF: Watts   Pedersen  Garlett

Foll: Gawn  Tyson   Viney

Int: Oliver  Harmes  Bugg  Lumumba

Would love to see more of Stretch, Wagner and Hunt to see if they can push for round 1. Just haven't seen enough. At this stage a returning Lumumba gets the nod. And Bugg.

Kennedy v Kent v Harmes v Oliver v a returning Brayshaw remains  a battle for a couple of spots

As does Frost v Pedersen

Spot on! Agree totally. 

Bugg to play through wing with Grimes / M Jones. 

Kennedy / Brayshaw chance for Lumumba spot on bench. 

On 4 March 2016 at 6:46 AM, Mr. White said:

If he was a Melbourne player he would be guaranteed to miss Round 1 but because he is an opposition player he'll be back. 

Called it: http://m.afl.com.au/news/2016-03-06/mumford-set-for-round-one-after-scans-clear-him-of-serious-ankle-damage

In order for my prediction to come true watch vander's ankle injury be a month or more injury. 

10 minutes ago, Mr. White said:

Called it: http://m.afl.com.au/news/2016-03-06/mumford-set-for-round-one-after-scans-clear-him-of-serious-ankle-damage

In order for my prediction to come true watch vander's ankle injury be a month or more injury. 

Doesn't sound like Mumford is 100% fit if his ankle is troubling him though. Good chance for big Max to take it right up to him.

Edited by sisso

I would have Oliver in for Grimes.

Grimes slows down after he takes possession and takes a second before he looks up to see both his options and his opposition. Always does it, I dont think its fixable.

Oliver speeds up. Sees 360 degrees. Its obvious already.

Any position Grimes plays Oliver will do better IMO, but doesnt have as good a tank.Yet/Maybe.

Edited by Franky_31
  • Like 4

I'm tired of waiting

I'm gonna assume all of our players aside from Dawes will be available 

B : Jetta - Dunn - Garland

HB : Lumumba - T.McDonald - Salem

C - Tyson - Viney - Brayshaw

HF - Vandenberg - Pederson - Kent

FF - Garlett - Hogan - Watts

FOLL : Gawn - Jones - Vince

INT - Bugg - Kennedy - Petracca - Harmes 

EMG - M.Jones - Frost - Oliver

Although I think that if one of Petracca/Brayshaw are unfit, Oliver comes in. Harmes replaces them on the ground 

16 hours ago, Franky_31 said:

I would have Oliver in for Grimes.

Grimes slows down after he takes possession and takes a second before he looks up to see both his options and his opposition. Always does it, I dont think its fixable.

Oliver speeds up. Sees 360 degrees. Its obvious already.

Any position Grimes plays Oliver will do better IMO, but doesnt have as good a tank.Yet/Maybe.

Grimes is on his way out as a football, Oliver is just getting started. And about 1 in 3 of Grimes' disposals is either a turnover or a momentum killer. That said, his work off the ball is going to superior to Oliver's and probably to any other option we have for the wing, especially since Stretch has hardly been sighted so far. We have to run with the best sides to beat them, we can't just throw kids in and expect them to keep up to seasoned endurance freaks. So prepare to be a bit disappointed if Grimes is starting on a wing and Oliver isn't. The good news is Oliver looks a very good shot of finding a place in the half forward/midfield rotation.