• IMPORTANT: PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Posting unsubstantiated rumours on this website is strictly forbidden.

Demonland has made the difficult decision to not permit this platform to be used to discuss & debate the off-field issues relating to the Melbourne Football Club including matters currently being litigated between the Club & former Board members, board elections, the issue of illicit drugs in footy, the culture at the club & the personal issues & allegations against some of our players & officials ...

We do not take these issues & this decision lightly & of course we believe that these serious matters affecting the club we love & are so passionate about are worthy of discussion & debate & I wish we could provide a place where these matters can be discussed in a civil & respectful manner.

However these discussions unfortunately invariably devolve into areas that may be defamatory, libelous, spread unsubstantiated rumours & can effect the mental health of those involved. Even discussion & debate of known facts or media reports can lead to finger pointing, blame & personal attacks.

The repercussion is that these discussions can open this website, it’s owners & it’s users to legal action & may result in this website being forced to shutdown.

Our moderating team are all volunteers & cannot moderate the forum 24/7 & as a consequence problematic content that contravenes our rules & standards may go unnoticed for some time before it can be removed.

We reserve the right to delete posts that offend against our above policy & indeed, to ban posters who are repeat offenders or who breach our code of conduct.

WE HAVE BUILT A FANTASTIC ONLINE COMMUNITY AT DEMONLAND OVER THE PAST 23 YEARS & WE WOULD LIKE TO CONTINUE TO BE ABLE TO DISCUSS THE CLUB WE LOVE & ARE SO PASSIONATE ABOUT.

Thank you for your continued support & understanding. Go Dees.

JUDGEMENT DAY - THE "BOMBER" 34

Whispering_Jack

19 minutes ago, sue said:

ASADA does not have the resources and probably has better things to do than follow the detailed behaviour of all the banned players.  I'd be very surprised if they could nail anyone with half a brain.  What are they going to do - see a player running laps, corner him and ask him how he knows he should be running at just at that speed?  And if he meets his trainer at a random oval or gym somewhere, does ASADA have the resources to spot that?  Even if there is a risk of being caught, being idle for a year and then hoping to play AFL again is probably a bigger risk.

Sue this has been the single biggest single code violation  in WADA history. The sporting eyes were very much upon Australia. It was quite interesting to see how much so when travelling recently.  If yo think they will just walk away from this now and not keep an eye on whether said punishments are adhered to properly then you , like any club trying it on are in for a surprise.. This one goes on WADA"s mantelpiece !!

30 minutes ago, Bombay Airconditioning said:

Should we have gone after Carilse too?

Ha! 

Just imagine the boards here if we'd also given up pick 7 for the other Jake. 

As it stands, we were seemingly always going after a KPF with that pick. 

Anyway, that's 9 years ago now (the Roos comment re testing players weekly/twice weekly)

I wonder what brought him to say such a thing? Would any coach say it now? 

Edited by Macca
  • Like 1

31 minutes ago, Macca said:

Ha! 

Just imagine the boards here if we'd also given up pick 7 for the other Jake. 

As it stands, we were seemingly always going after a KPF with that pick. 

Anyway, that's 9 years ago now (the Roos comment re testing players weekly/twice weekly)

I wonder what brought him to say such a thing? Would any coach say it now? 

To be honest I didn't read the whole article, wasn't aware it was that old. 

Macca I hope the answer would be an overwhelming yes.

39 minutes ago, willmoy said:

......and still no word from Moms and Dads.

I still find this very odd

must be keeping their powder dry 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Bombay Airconditioning said:

To be honest I didn't read the whole article, wasn't aware it was that old. 

Macca I hope the answer would be an overwhelming yes.

And there's no better time for the coaches to make a statement than right now. 

Edited by Macca
  • Like 2

3 minutes ago, Macca said:

And there's no better time for the coaches to make a statement than right now. 

I found that article quite damning of the league. Theyve obviously turned a blind eye to this for yonks and who knows who else was warned !!

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, beelzebub said:

I found that article quite damning of the league. Theyve obviously turned a blind eye to this for yonks and who knows who else was warned !!

The aftermath isn't coming as a complete surprise bub ... a few here (Sue, LH?) alluded to what might occur. 

Let's face it, the AFL is big business and they are acting like many a big business would. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Macca said:

The aftermath isn't coming as a complete surprise bub ... a few here (Sue, LH?) alluded to what might occur. 

Let's face it, the AFL is big business and they are acting like many a big business would. 

and the public and kids under their charge be damned !!

10 hours ago, beelzebub said:

I dare say Sue the NRL understand things somewhat clearer than the Loopholers. They know  ( at least at the top ) that there is not only a problem  but that the public know theres a problem and want it seen to.

Contrast this to the Australian Football Laughingstock. Gill and his Dills don't concede much of any problem. What little there is  ( npi ) has been dealt with , indeed they , if you ask them ( the AFL ) help and co-operated with the relevant authority :rolleyes:  In teh manner of the Emperor and his new clothes all is right with footy

The complacency the AFL has exhibited is just staggering, and appear to continue to think they have so much power all they need to do is to manipulate and spin any situation they come across for their own ends. 

As the biggest and most powerful sporting code in the country, they have become equivalent to many fat and lazy, and immensely powerful multi national corporations - they come to suffer from hubris. There can be no greater demonstration of this than the Essendon saga and this is at a time when their main rivals for the leisure dollar are getting stronger not weaker. 

It think I am right in saying that of the largest top 50 corporations in the world 30 years ago, less than 50% of them have that status now. Through their arrogance and complacency, and aversion to change, they eventually wither and die: or worse, become irrelevant. 

For those of us who love Australian football, this also helps explain why a number of us have spent so much time and effort on here advocating that justice be done in this saga, and why local institutions had to act appropriately. This is more than can be said for the AFL. Thank goodness for the integrity of the men and women of ASADA, WADA and CAS who inspite of immense political and media pressure stood firm and eventually delivered a just outcome. 

• Like 10

2 hours ago, Dees2014 said:

The complacency the AFL has exhibited is just staggering, and appear to continue to think they have so much power all they need to do is to manipulate and spin any situation they come across for their own ends. 

As the biggest and most powerful sporting code in the country, they have become equivalent to many fat and lazy, and immensely powerful multi national corporations - they come to suffer from hubris. There can be no greater demonstration of this than the Essendon saga and this is at a time when their main rivals for the leisure dollar are getting stronger not weaker. 

It think I am right in saying that of the largest top 50 corporations in the world 30 years ago, less than 50% of them have that status now. Through their arrogance and complacency, and aversion to change, they eventually wither and die: or worse, become irrelevant. 

For those of us who love Australian football, this also helps explain why a number of us have spent so much time and effort on here advocating that justice be done in this saga, and why local institutions had to act appropriately. This is more than can be said for the AFL. Thank goodness for the integrity of the men and women of ASADA, WADA and CAS who inspite of immense political and media pressure stood firm and eventually delivered a just outcome. 

Well said Dees2014.

Edited by Lucifer's Hero

15 hours ago, beelzebub said:

Sue this has been the single biggest single code violation  in WADA history. The sporting eyes were very much upon Australia. It was quite interesting to see how much so when travelling recently.  If yo think they will just walk away from this now and not keep an eye on whether said punishments are adhered to properly then you , like any club trying it on are in for a surprise.. This one goes on WADA"s mantelpiece !!

Bold statement, bb. What parameter are you using? The number (34) of players? Or something else? What about the Russian athletics team? Isn't that a WADA code violation? I would have thought banning a whole team from competing at the Olympics might be perceived to be a bit bigger.

Edited by La Dee-vina Comedia
typo

17 minutes ago, La Dee-vina Comedia said:

Bold statement, bb. What parameter are you using? The number (34) of players? Or something else? What about the Russian athletics team? Isn't that a WADA code violation? I would have thought banning a whole team from competing at the Olympics might be perceived to be a bit bigger.

Reread

Largest single code . 

The Russian Athletics was across a number of sports effectively. The EFC debacle is the largest number of players in a single code at a time.

I see your thinking however. 

1 hour ago, beelzebub said:

Reread

Largest single code . 

The Russian Athletics was across a number of sports effectively. The EFC debacle is the largest number of players in a single code at a time.

I see your thinking however. 

Oh. I read "single code" as adjectives qualifying "violation". (Not that I've watched much of it, but "code violation" seems to be a term used a lot at the tennis which may have influence my thinking). Now I know what you mean.

1 minute ago, La Dee-vina Comedia said:

Oh. I read "single code" as adjectives qualifying "violation". (Not that I've watched much of it, but "code violation" seems to be a term used a lot at the tennis which may have influence my thinking). Now I know what you mean.

Both interesting transgressions for WADA to deal with. 

Just as interesting in a way how the recipients took it.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Cards13 said:

Baz was that more party drugs than PEDs?

What are party drugs? They are all drugs. And mostly illegal.

Ben Cousins was supposedly on 'party drugs' as you put it and he would have run through a brick wall. You can't tell me they are not performance enhancing.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Dees2014 said:

TOP 24 COMPANIES IN AUSTRALIA    
  1990     2016
  Company Mkt Cap ($Bn) Company Mkt Cap ($Bn)
1 BHP                   14.1 CBA 133
2 CRA                      7.3 Westpac 102
3 BTR Nylex                      6.9 NAB 71.4
4 NAB                      6.0 ANZ 69.9
5 Westpac                      5.2 Telstra 68.3
6 Elders                      4.9 CSL 49.8
7 ANZ                      4.8 BHP 48.4
8 Coles Myer                      4.5 Wesfarmers 47.1
9 Fletcher Challenge                      4.4 Woolworths 31.1
10 News Corp                      4.2 Macquarie 24.9
11 CSR                      4.1 Scentre Group 23.1
12 Western Mining                      4.0 Transurban 21.8
13 Pacific Dunlop                      3.9 Westfield 18.8
14 Brambles                      3.2 Woodside 18.6
15 Boral                      3.1 Brambles 17.5
16 Brierley Investments                      3.0 Rio Tinto 16.5
17 Lend Lease                      2.6 AMP 15.7
18 Amcor                      2.4 Amcor 15.2
19 Comalco                      2.3 Sydney Airport 14.7
20 Adsteam                      2.3 Suncorp 14.7
21 Woodside                      1.8 QBE 14.5
22 Pioneer Concrete                      1.7 IAG Insurance 12.5
23 TNT                      1.7 AGL 12.3
24 Goodman Fielder                      1.7 Newcrest Mining 10.6

Here is a snapshot of corporate Australia from 1990 to now. Fair to say a number of entities have disappeared off the radar screen......not all hubris and lots of takeovers but interesting nonetheless......

Edited by jnrmac

39 minutes ago, jnrmac said:

Ben Cousins was supposedly on 'party drugs' as you put it and he would have run through a brick wall. You can't tell me they are not performance enhancing.

Many of those 'party drugs' are counted as performance enhancing but the issue with tested for them is that it only lasts in your system for a day or two so the window to catch people is slim. Given the little amount of testing that is done in the AFL it is no wonder people get away with it. 

35 minutes ago, jnrmac said:

I think you are being facetious jnr. I was trying to clarify my recollection of Lewis comments which I believe related to players getting on the gear and when on nights out. Rather than him flagging a trend for players getting into PEDs to enhance performance.

I can't imagine playing on Cousins fav, or any other party drugs and it enhancing performance but I could very well be wrong as I've not really tried them.   

I used to watch Cousins and his incredible intensity and just assumed he had a good mental game. But it could have been stimulants.

Amphetamines = stimulants. For players who need a bit of a gee-up. Marijuana = depressant. For players who get too keyed up before a game and waste energy.

Party drugs can most definitely enhance performance.

• Like 5

6 minutes ago, Ted Fidge said:

I used to watch Cousins and his incredible intensity and just assumed he had a good mental game. But it could have been stimulants.

Amphetamines = stimulants. For players who need a bit of a gee-up. Marijuana = depressant. For players who get too keyed up before a game and waste energy.

Party drugs can most definitely enhance performance.

of course they can. only need to ask a medic in a hospital when ice addicts come in and it takes 5 people to subdue them. soldiers have been taking amphetamines for ages.

• Like 2

21 hours ago, Macca said:

Great read here from the UK's Simon Barnes about how the almighty dollar, corruption, and doping are threatening to undermine the essence of sport.

"Adidas sponsors the kit of Manchester United in a deal worth £75 million a year. This month Herbert Hainer, the Adidas CEO, dropped a careful hint to Süddeutsche Zeitung that Manchester United’s current style of play did not meet their approval. ‘We are satisfied but the actual way of playing is not exactly what we want it to be.’

In other words, the team’s current cautious style — which has them fifth in the Premier League despite last Saturday’s defeat — doesn’t help Adidas to make money. Message: if you want the contract renewed after 2025, play sexy football."

• Like 1

2 hours ago, daisycutter said:

of course they can. only need to ask a medic in a hospital when ice addicts come in and it takes 5 people to subdue them. soldiers have been taking amphetamines for ages.

DC taking 5 people to bring down an ice head and that person going out to play high level sport... I just can't correlate it.