JUDGEMENT DAY - THE "BOMBER" 34

Whispering_Jack

It's little wonder the AFL and people associated with AFL want out of WADA and into their own thing. NHL player is given a 20 game suspension (they play 82 regular season games for the season) for PED use. They have not released what he used or how often. Good to see the league ready and willing to discuss the issue too, "The National Hockey League will have no further comment on this matter."

http://deadspin.com/ducks-shawn-horcoff-suspended-20-games-for-using-peds-1755221385

PS what an amazing name for your own doping authority: NHL/NHLPA Program for Substance Abuse and Behavioral Health

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, Cards13 said:

It's little wonder the AFL and people associated with AFL want out of WADA and into their own thing. NHL player is given a 20 game suspension (they play 82 regular season games for the season) for PED use. They have not released what he used or how often. Good to see the league ready and willing to discuss the issue too, "The National Hockey League will have no further comment on this matter."

http://deadspin.com/ducks-shawn-horcoff-suspended-20-games-for-using-peds-1755221385

PS what an amazing name for your own doping authority: NHL/NHLPA Program for Substance Abuse and Behavioral Health

And we think the AFL's bad...

52 minutes ago, Good Times Grimes said:

And we think the AFL's bad...

American sports are the worse

PED use is rife... Ill never understand how people watch crap like the NFL and NBA

• Like 2

If the AFL even thinks about going it alone it will shoot itself in both feet. Soccer and Rugby will fly the 'good' flag and the next gen of kids won't be playing footy.

• Like 5

5 hours ago, Petraccattack said:

American sports are the worse

PED use is rife... Ill never understand how people watch crap like the NFL and NBA

If one was to stand on principle then you wouldn't watch any sport at all.

PED use is in every sport and it's use is done to a large degree in most "major" sports (IMO) 

Even suburban sport would have it's users.

And it's been that way for a very long time. 

However, it's entirely possible to continue to watch any sport and at the same time have a hard line on PED use in those same sports

Edited by Macca
Edit: added the word "major" so the sentence looks more specific

13 hours ago, Whispering_Jack said:

I'm not up with all the developments with the players and the clubs Bub but I believe that the main driver behind the appeal/injunction talk is the Bulldogs' President Peter Gordon who is a practising lawyer. If I was in his position I wouldn't be saying anything at the moment and would be relying on independent advice to the board on the issues relating to an appeal. 

Not sure where Essendon is on this but they have a difficult decision to make because there's a danger some of the 12 players can become alienated and walk away from the club if they dintbplatbthid the right way.

Jack,

I probably should know this, but is it possible that if they were silly enough to appeal to the Swiss courts, that the penalties could actually be increased on appeal as can happen in some of our courts, especially since the 15 point summary you posted seemed to suggest that at least in some areas the players may have got off lightly. Now that would be interesting!

Edited by Dees2014

1 hour ago, Macca said:

If one was to stand on principle then you wouldn't watch any sport at all.

PED use is in every sport and it's use is done to a large degree in most sports (IMO) 

Even suburban sport. 

And it's been that way for a very long time. 

I think it is a big call to say it is done to a large degree, that would imply most people, I don't think this is so, but I am not naive enough to think it doesn't happen at all. I also wouldn't be surprised at all to see far more use in suburban leagues than in their respective professional leagues due to the amount of education and control in place.  

2 hours ago, Wells 11 said:

We're right on the threshold going this same direction. The decisions made in the next few months will be very telling. 

We're not actually. None of the major North America sports are signed up to WADA. We are and will continue to be. Anyone who thinks that we should ditch WADA should be made to study the substance abuse problems endemic in the systems over there.

10 hours ago, Chris said:

I think it is a big call to say it is done to a large degree, that would imply most people, I don't think this is so, but I am not naive enough to think it doesn't happen at all. I also wouldn't be surprised at all to see far more use in suburban leagues than in their respective professional leagues due to the amount of education and control in place.  

Well I don't believe it's a big call at all. 

5 of the big sports are rife with PED use. Again, it's just my opinion and you and others can choose to disagree with me if you like. 

I've had an avid interest in PED use in sports since the 80's so it's not like I formed my opinion yesterday. 

I'm certainly not a blue-sky thinker in this area and am constantly looking for what can't be readily seen. 

Soccer is the worst of all in my opinion yet they rarely catch any drug cheats ... the testing procedures and standards are virtually non existent (in terms of what could be done by FIFA) 

Edited by Macca

9 minutes ago, Macca said:

Well I don't believe it's a big call at all. 

5 of the big sports are rife with PED use.

Again, it's just my opinion and you and others can choose to disagree with me of you like. 

I've had an avid interest in PED use in sports since the 80's so it's not like I formed my opinion yesterday. 

I'm certainly not a blue-sky thinker in this area and am constantly looking for what can't be readily seen. 

Soccer is the worst of all yet they rarely catch any drug cheats ... the testing procedures and standards are virtually non existant (in terms of what could be done) 

What do you classify as the big 5? Soccer, NFL, NBL, Baseball, and what?

My gripe is more around your language, the use of terms such as 'all sports' when making such categorical claims doesn't sit well. Does this include Darts, billiards, orienteering, etc etc? These are all sports and you have said that within these there is PED use and it is rife in most. Where does most cut out, is it somewhere around indoor soccer, maybe golf, what about free diving, or even rock climbing, which of these have massive PED issues?

14 minutes ago, Chris said:

What do you classify as the big 5? Soccer, NFL, NBL, Baseball, and what?

My gripe is more around your language, the use of terms such as 'all sports' when making such categorical claims doesn't sit well. Does this include Darts, billiards, orienteering, etc etc? These are all sports and you have said that within these there is PED use and it is rife in most. Where does most cut out, is it somewhere around indoor soccer, maybe golf, what about free diving, or even rock climbing, which of these have massive PED issues?

The major sports are rife with PED use ... getting bogged down talking about minor sports is pointless. 

Soccer, NBA, NFL, NHL & MLB. 

Not entirely sure about cricket but I suspect there would be quite a deal of PED use in that sport. 

PED use in sports is a mucb bigger problem than many realise (or perhaps want to realise) 

We've just seen a whole club go down that path in a sport which most of the world would regard as a minor sport .. AFL

There is PED use in all sports Chris ... even if it's only minor infractions in some of the more obscure sports (like rock climbing)

15 minutes ago, Macca said:

There is PED use in all sports Chris ... even if it's only minor infractions in some of the more obscure sports (like rock climbing)

I am sure there is Macca, your point that it is rife in most is the issue, I call bollocks. 

The problem with the five you have listed is four of them are not signed to WADA for entirely obvious reasons. All the other sports would have a minority of users but many of those will be found in time. 

Do you have anything to base these thoughts on or is it just a hunch due to interest for the last 30 years or so?

if they go ahead and continue to appeal they will only drag this out longer for the players. This strategy has allowed Essendon to move from 34 players in trouble to 12, another couple of years it will be 8.  the problem is that this will continue to hound these players and will have a significant impact on their health and wellbeing. I doubt you are going to get the best performance out of them under the circumstances. In fact they are likely to get sued for a lot more money as a result of this. but this is more about the club than the players, a club that has shown they have happily discard and trade players to reduce the impact of any suspensions on themselves. I would not be surprised if quite a few of these players want to walk away from the club at the end of the year as you can bet they will sue the club and you can bet Essendon will fight them which means that they will further be entrenching the club vs the player attitude.

I guess what p*sses me off the most is the complicit nature of the AFL in this, letting them take more players, letting them have more salary cap, etc... these are things that undermine any penalty handed out. Any funding contribution by the AFL to any appeal would only continue to show they prefer a strong essendon even at the cost of the games integrity.

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, Chris said:

I am sure there is Macca, your point that it is rife in most is the issue, I call bollocks. 

The problem with the five you have listed is four of them are not signed to WADA for entirely obvious reasons. All the other sports would have a minority of users but many of those will be found in time. 

Do you have anything to base these thoughts on or is it just a hunch due to interest for the last 30 years or so?

You want a 10 page essay? (because that's what it would take) 

I watch the 5 big sports I mentioned (quite extensively) and have done for a number of years. 

My views have been formed over a long period of time and there is extensive proof that at least 2 of those sports (NFL & MLB) have had widespread PED use  .. the other 3 have shockingly poor testing procedures and standards (and penalties) so I have very strong views on those 3 sports as well. 

6 minutes ago, Macca said:

You want a 10 page essay? (because that's what it would take) 

I watch the 5 big sports I mentioned (quite extensively) and have done for a number of years. 

My views have been formed over a long period of time and there is extensive proof that at least 2 of those sports (NFL & MLB) have had widespread PED use  .. the other 3 have shockingly poor testing procedures and standards (and penalties) so I have very strong views on those 3 sports as well. 

OK, so we go from all sport with most having prolific use, down to 2 of the five you watch have big issues (which is no surprise looking a the sports), and the other 3 you watch being questionable. Thanks for clearing up that you exaggerated massively with your initial claims. 

13 minutes ago, daisycutter said:

anyone know when the cut-off date is for lodging a cas appeal?

nice circuit breaker there dc :rolleyes:

Feb 10 is the cutoff date.

Edit:  As  WJ mentioned in his post:  The Court will in the first instance hear whether the party lodging the appeal has valid grounds based on jurisdiction.  So an appeal may not get off the ground if it fails at this stage which WJ suggests it will fail here.

Edited by Lucifer's Hero
  • Like 1

15 minutes ago, Chris said:

OK, so we go from all sport with most having prolific use, down to 2 of the five you watch have big issues (which is no surprise looking a the sports), and the other 3 you watch being questionable. Thanks for clearing up that you exaggerated massively with your initial claims. 

Wrong 

I stated that PED use is in every sport and I stand by that comment. 

By most sports I was obviously meaning those sports that have a large impact. 

Minor sports would still have levels of PED use. 

7 minutes ago, Macca said:

Wrong 

I stated that PED use is in every sport and I stand by that comment. 

By most sports I was obviously meaning those sports that have a large impact. 

Minor sports would still have levels of PED use. 

Last one, I promise. 

Macca, here a quote from your initial comment " PED use is in every sport and it's use is done to a large degree in most sports (IMO)"

Is it easier on the legs peddling backwards?