Captain Jones 2016

Demonland

9 hours ago, olisik said:

Article says Vince broke his finger at training to :(

9 hours ago, Clint Bizkit said:

Where?

The pointy bits at the end of the hand 

PS - why is this in the Captain Nathan Jones thread?

Edited by monoccular
PS

47 minutes ago, Sir Why You Little said:

Thought his year in 2015 was fairly ordinary actually...But i am sure i will be shouted down....Don't care

Too easily tagged out of important games....

HE PLAYED INJURED MOST OF THE YEAR AND REQUIRED SURGERY AT THE END!!! There, happy now

13 hours ago, dworship said:

HE PLAYED INJURED MOST OF THE YEAR AND REQUIRED SURGERY AT THE END!!! There, happy now

So don't play if it's too hard

once a player crosses the white line they are required to do the job. 

38 minutes ago, Sir Why You Little said:

So don't play if it's too hard

once a player crosses the white line they are required to do the job. 

And Nathan did do the job. He came 5th in the Bluey and, without looking the stats up, would have been top 3 at the Club for possessions, contested possessions and clearances. 

He was better than most in our team just not up to his consistently high standard

56 minutes ago, fndee said:

And Nathan did do the job. He came 5th in the Bluey and, without looking the stats up, would have been top 3 at the Club for possessions, contested possessions and clearances. 

He was better than most in our team just not up to his consistently high standard

He still gets tagged of games way too often to be an A Grade Matchday captain...

i am not disputing he is the best we have at the moment. 

But i still say he is not a natural leader. 

A great teacher on the training track yes

But Matchday Captains can do it under extreme pressure. 

17 minutes ago, Sir Why You Little said:

He still gets tagged of games way too often to be an A Grade Matchday captain...

very harsh, wyl, very harsh

20 hours ago, Sir Why You Little said:

I see Jones as an Ablett jr type - leading through his actions, probably working better one on one, and more effective playing a backstage role. Both have only had to step up due to a lack of leadership - young lists, etc.

Edited by KingDingAling

40 minutes ago, KingDingAling said:

I see Jones as an Ablett jr type - leading through his actions, probably working better one on one, and more effective playing a backstage role. Both have only had to step up due to a lack of leadership - young lists, etc.

Fair call. I don't think Ablett Jnr is a natural leader either. He just wants to play. 

His freakish balance and co ordination are in his DNA

They cannot be taught, improved and honed yes, but not taught. 

Jonesy can still be a very good captain, but he is going to have to work hard at it. 

Big Carl was a natural leader...

• Like 1

On 12/12/2015 at 2:49 PM, Sir Why You Little said:

Fair call. I don't think Ablett Jnr is a natural leader either. He just wants to play. 

His freakish balance and co ordination are in his DNA

They cannot be taught, improved and honed yes, but not taught. 

Jonesy can still be a very good captain, but he is going to have to work hard at it. 

Big Carl was a natural leader...

And yet you mention Big Carl - his influence on the field could never be measured by marks or kicks or taps  - if those were the measuring sticks Carl would have come up very short.

Big Carl was a great captain by virtue of the fact that the team played significantly better with him being on the field. To use the old cliche - every player walked a foot taller with him on ground.

I was in favor of the Ox over Neita by virtue of his inspiration and presence on the field both before and after his knee injuries but I suspect his indiscretions cost him the captaincy.

I for one am happy to admit that I wasn't that stoked with Jones being touted for captaincy all those years ago ( when Trengove and Grimes got the gig)  as I thought he was, if you will pardon the expression, "too bogan". I wondered how he would have the respect of his players. And yes - i was judging him by his rather inane tweets.   

I think it is very obvious that he has the utmost respect of the players and coaches both in the way he plays on the field and his training efforts. It has been mentioned in the training threads last year that he is very vocal when players are both good or he believes they arent going hard enough. Whatever reason he had for having a  year below his best of the last two years is immaterial in my opinion. His year was still quite good and he absolutely has a presence on the field. I for one am very happy with him as captain and do not think we are "settling".

17 minutes ago, nutbean said:

And yet you mention Big Carl - his influence on the field could never be measured by marks or kicks or taps  - if those were the measuring sticks Carl would have come up very short.

Big Carl was a great captain by virtue of the fact that the team played significantly better with him being on the field. To use the old cliche - every player walked a foot taller with him on ground.

I was in favor of the Ox over Neita by virtue of his inspiration and presence on the field both before and after his knee injuries but I suspect his indiscretions cost him the captaincy.

I for one am happy to admit that I wasn't that stoked with Jones being touted for captaincy all those years ago ( when Trengove and Grimes got the gig)  as I thought he was, if you will pardon the expression, "too bogan". I wondered how he would have the respect of his players. And yes - i was judging him by his rather inane tweets.   

I think it is very obvious that he has the utmost respect of the players and coaches both in the way he plays on the field and his training efforts. It has been mentioned in the training threads last year that he is very vocal when players are both good or he believes they arent going hard enough. Whatever reason he had for having a  year below his best of the last two years is immaterial in my opinion. His year was still quite good and he absolutely has a presence on the field. I for one am very happy with him as captain and do not think we are "settling".

Jonesy's presence on the field goes missing to easily.  I am not questioning his standing amongst the players. He is a good man. 

But when the heat is on he is tagged out of the game far too often  

he has to work real hard on that aspect of the game. We need the captain to be inspiring in all games if the club is to seriously rise up the ladder...

On 12/12/2015 at 1:28 PM, Sir Why You Little said:

Yes it is. 

There is a reason why this club has been down the bottom for so long..The last decade especially. 

right-i-o, so it is jonesy's fault we have been down the bottom for so long....fms

your hyperbole is unfairly harsh on jones 

3 minutes ago, daisycutter said:

right-i-o, so it is jonesy's fault we have been down the bottom for so long....fms

your hyperbole is unfairly harsh on jones 

No its not his fault

but i do not think it is in his nature to know how to fix it up either. 

Don't know if this guy will be on the park a lot in 2016.  How many AFL players have had a mobile disc replacement in the neck and returned without a hitch?

Maybe the club could have waited for contact training to start before jumping the gun with an announcement IMO.

15 hours ago, TGR said:

Don't know if this guy will be on the park a lot in 2016.  How many AFL players have had a mobile disc replacement in the neck and returned without a hitch?

Maybe the club could have waited for contact training to start before jumping the gun with an announcement IMO.

The club, Jones, and by all accounts his surgeon seem confident that he'll be good to go in round one. I'm not concerned.

8 hours ago, Good Times Grimes said:

The club, Jones, and by all accounts his surgeon seem confident that he'll be good to go in round one. I'm not concerned.

I noticed him competing in what seemed to be a contested marking drill during Fridays training session, and looked to be doing very well at it. However, I was over the other side of the ground so someone else who was closer might be able to elaborate more. 

He'll be sweet for round 1 IMO.

On 12 December 2015 at 0:25 PM, Sir Why You Little said:

Joel Selwood had a poor year in 2015 to his standards. Considered an elite player and highly regarded captain, no major injury problem but with the demise of the Cats senior premiership players he was being targeted and tagged out of games.

What did the Cats do? they recruited Danger to give him a chop out.

Jones has never had the luxury of having a team of champions around him, and with a serious injury to contend with in 2015 he really stood up and led from the front. Not a great season but the season of a true leader protecting his younger teammates. Selwood & Hodge have never had to do this.

I think you are doing Jones a massive disservice.

• Like 9

On 12/10/2015 at 9:40 AM, Moonshadow said:

Will be interesting to see where Brayshaw and a few others are placed in terms of leadership over the next 2-3 years. We might actually have a variety of real leaders in the mix for capt and VC positions.

Brayshaw reeks of captaincy material and I would say he'd be a near certainty of being of our next skipper if it were not for Viney.

I suspect it will be out of those two to take over Jones, although I wouldn't be upset if Hogan was our long term captain ;)

The way he was getting into Pendlebury during the 2nd Collingwood game is probably the happiest I've been with a skipper since Neitz days. Making it even better was the part it played in a long overdue win against a side we need to be beating more often than not.

The captaincy should be his for as long as he wants it.

Edited by Carlos Danger

19 minutes ago, Carlos Danger said:

The way he was getting into Pendlebury during the 2nd Collingwood game is probably the happiest I've been with a skipper since Neitz days. Making it even better was the part it played in a long overdue win against a side we need to be beating more often than not.

The captaincy should be his for as long as he wants it.

Agree, he will do me. A warrior for the club and the best man for the job. Has been our best and most consistent footballer for many years. Proud that he is our Captain.