Simon Goodwin

JimmyNP

Bloke at work who knows Jade Rawlings told me some interesting stuff about Simon Goodwin and the Roosy appointment.

Rawlings absolutely rates Goodwin and reckons he is up there with one of the best coaches he's ever worked with, saying he's up there with Pagan, Clarkson and that's not a word of lie. Straight from his mouth my workmate said. I quizzed him on it and said surely not but he said Rawlings absolutely said that and has that high of an opinion of Goodwin and his knowledge of the game and the way he works with players. 

He also said tactically he is brilliant, felt as though the team could have won more games last year if Goodwin's style of coaching was in practice, players absolutely love him and feed off everything he says. Rawlings also said he applied for the coaching position and was disappointed not to get it and felt as though if someone got it who he thought didn't deserve it he would be annoyed but has seen how good Goodwin is and he is the best man to take over from Roosy.

Also said Roosy is a very good delegator and man manager. Culture at the club is the best he's seen it in all his time.

Thought i'd just post to all demonlanders a little insight ^_^

• Like 39

Great insight stuff. Funny i have also heard the players do love him. When he got appointed his way of getting to know the players was inviting them over for a BBQ and few beers at his place.. lol Apparently Bernie is a regular at his joint as both obviously don't mind a few froffs!

• Like 1

Just now, jumbo returns said:

Don't want to be a stick in the mud, but seriously, what did you expect him to say??

Of course he's not going to say he's a dud and he isn't any good. But to pump him up that much and say he is as good as Clarkson or Pagan and he hasn't even coached one match yet is pretty high appraisal I would have thought...

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, JimmyNP said:

Of course he's not going to say he's a dud and he isn't any good. But to pump him up that much and say he is as good as Clarkson or Pagan and he hasn't even coached one match yet is pretty high appraisal I would have thought...

Quite an unrealistic and embarrassing comparison given his position, I would have thought. 

6 minutes ago, Moonshadow said:

Quite an unrealistic and embarrassing comparison given his position, I would have thought. 

Agreed, however I think he was alluding to the attributes he has are as good as some of the coaches he's played/worked under.

17 minutes ago, JimmyNP said:

Agreed, however I think he was alluding to the attributes he has are as good as some of the coaches he's played/worked under.

Except I don't think Jade Rawlings ever played/worked under Clarko or Pagan. Glowing compliment though.

Goodwin was a gun player. Too early to know how he will go. 

The culture has changed but not everyone has bought in. 

Curious to see what he does with Watts/Grimes/Dawes at the end of next season. This is not a new coach coming in and afraid to rock the boat too early as he gets to know the players. He will have had two seasons in which to base his decisions. 

The Clarko comparison might be a bit premature but here's hoping.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Sir Why You Little said:

Let's just make sure he gets through WADA and CAS court hearings first shall we.....

If Asada deem him cool for school then im very  much looking  forward  to his style of game.

1 hour ago, JimmyNP said:

Bloke at work who knows Jade Rawlings told me some interesting stuff about Simon Goodwin and the Roosy appointment.

Rawlings absolutely rates Goodwin and reckons he is up there with one of the best coaches he's ever worked with, saying he's up there with Pagan, Clarkson and that's not a word of lie. Straight from his mouth my workmate said. I quizzed him on it and said surely not but he said Rawlings absolutely said that and has that high of an opinion of Goodwin and his knowledge of the game and the way he works with players. 

He also said tactically he is brilliant, felt as though the team could have won more games last year if Goodwin's style of coaching was in practice, players absolutely love him and feed off everything he says. Rawlings also said he applied for the coaching position and was disappointed not to get it and felt as though if someone got it who he thought didn't deserve it he would be annoyed but has seen how good Goodwin is and he is the best man to take over from Roosy.

Also said Roosy is a very good delegator and man manager. Culture at the club is the best he's seen it in all his time.

Not much to dislike about his post. All positive stuff that I'm confident is pretty close to the mark.

looking forward to how the team progresses under Goodies guidance next year.

Agree with Jumbo.

Blokes not going to come out & bag or criticise Goodwin as he still wants a job & needs to make out things are perfect.Its a fact that every club in every sport has players who hate other team mates & coaches but yet who has ever heard anyone bag them. I do believe he is one of the boys as I was from Adelaide & it was well known he was like that but will that work when he needs to dish out some home truths or tough love.Also gotta question Rawlings saying Goodwin would have won more games as I doubt anyone on staff would say that.I hope it all does go to plan though & that Goodwin can keep lifting us & be the 1st to get us back in finals after such a long absence

Just to counter  balance the "negative Nancy's", feeding the doubt about Goodwin, Roos' last handover had the recipient (John Longmire) win a flag within two years, in 2012...

Just say'n...  

:)

Edited by PaulRB
  • Like 4

I've heard from two separate sources that the players love Goodwin.  And I mean love.

Posters are right to say that people won't genuinely share bad news, but they don't need to be effusive as they have with their admiration for Goodwin. 

Needless to say this doesn't mean he'll be a great coach.  But it's a great start and I reckon you're halfway there.

Naturally, others can please themselves as to how reliable they consider this information.

• Like 7

2 hours ago, Sir Why You Little said:

Let's just make sure he gets through WADA and CAS court hearings first shall we.....

Gees let's give that a rest can we? It's negativity for negativities sake. Great to hear such positive opinions of his coaching ability

Edited by MrReims
Grammar
  • Like 4

37 minutes ago, MrReims said:

Gees let's give that a rest can we? It's negativity for negativities sake. Great to hear such positive opinions of his coaching ability

Fairly important speed hump to get over before i open a bottle ...

Let's not forget that he's part of the current coaching group that has been unable to stop our roll over merchants from throwing in the towel every time an opponent physically challenges them. What's going to change when he becomes head coach? If the players love him so much then why are they still prepared to put so much embarrassment on the club, coaches and supporters by being the softest group in the comp?

• Like 3

11 hours ago, JimmyNP said:

I love this. But your mate/Rawlins comparing Goodwin to Pagan/Clarkson is a bit hyperbolic considering they are premiership coaches and Goodwin is yet to coach a game.Perhaps he meant he is like Pagan/Clarkson in how he works with the players. 

However, i still got firm reading this. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, rufus said:

Let's not forget that he's part of the current coaching group that has been unable to stop our roll over merchants from throwing in the towel every time an opponent physically challenges them. What's going to change when he becomes head coach? If the players love him so much then why are they still prepared to put so much embarrassment on the club, coaches and supporters by being the softest group in the comp?

Great point,

Great question,

I think the younger players have led the way along with Jones and Vince.. Garland, Howe, Watts, Dawes and The Prince all went missing for large parts of the season.

Grimes tries but....

Dunn had his moments. 

Some will tell you they haven't been coached properly because apparently you need a top line coach to have a bit of self respect. 

Its a killer when your getting flogged and losing the tackle count.

1 hour ago, rufus said:

Now that's a good question.

I say that not particularly to be critical of Goody as my only real concern about him is not actually coaching related. But its a very good question none the less.  Thankyou