WELCOME TO THE MELBOURNE FOOTBALL CLUB - LIAM HULETT

Nasher

Skills say AFL.

If he has the body and athleticism - he'll need to out run and be quicker than his opponents at his size - then he could make it.

Either way we now have in the young player spots:

Key back: McDonald, McDonald, Frost

Forward: Hogan, Weideman, Hulett

Ruck: Gawn, King, King

That's a nice balance. It's the right amount of depth and competition for spots that will help hopefully produce some good footballers.

It's one thing to say we have young players who you can plug into spots. It's another thing to say if they're actually any good.

Hulett and Mitchell King both look like picks that are 30/70 against making it at AFL level.

Purely from his highlights he looks like he has attributes that could translate well to VFL level, if he is able to find the ball inside 50 it looks like his set shot is more than reasonable and he seems to want to get the ball at the highest point.

That said, he will need a couple year but I am kind of excited by this pick, despite its (speculativity, speculativeness) a word along those lines.

• Like 1

It's one thing to say we have young players who you can plug into spots. It's another thing to say if they're actually any good.

Hulett and Mitchell King both look like picks that are 30/70 against making it at AFL level.

That's why they are picks in the 40's.

So, ignoring picks from the last couple of years because it's too soon to tell, what is the AFL-wide strike rate for success with picks in their 40s? Is 30/70 against approximately the norm?

• Like 1

So, ignoring picks from the last couple of years because it's too soon to tell, what is the AFL-wide strike rate for success with picks in their 40s? Is 30/70 against approximately the norm?

depends on how you measure success

at least 1 game, at least 50 games. c grade or better, b grade or better etc

So Tom McDonald and Dean Kent who were both drafted later than both if these guys must have done really well with your odds of 10/90 against making it??

• Like 1

That's all they need to be. You get ok prospects in and develop them well and if they make it, great, if not we could get good depth. It's just silly for us a young team not to have a good core of young talls developing, and now replacing Jamar and Fitzy with these 2 and Weideman provides that.

• Like 1

depends on how you measure success

at least 1 game, at least 50 games. c grade or better, b grade or better etc

Yes, defining success is a subjective assessment. In my mind I suspect getting 100 games from any player should be considered a success, particularly if that player was drafted in the 40s or beyond. Of course, even some 100+ game players are not necessarily particularly good players. I'd prefer 90 odd games from John Coleman over the 100+ games of Simon Godfrey, for example.

It appears this guy Hulett is a better kick than Dawes. Granted, that's no biggie.

I like that our FD has kept tabs on blokes like this for some time that have clearly shown a great deal when able to (ie.12-18 months ago), however due to unfortunate injuries haven't been able to sustain some games this year under the watchful eyes of many scouts. Almost as if we've picked the guys as draft bargains, where they've been hiding away as it were.

• Like 1

Is there anyone we picked up who wasn't injured this year hahaha.

Last year we picked up a bloke with a bung shoulder who turned out pretty good! (1 x A. Vandenberg)

• Like 1

Except we traded out of the first round already. But I'm sure pick 89 will be a ripper.

yes we did trade out next years 1st rounder to get the benefit of a better picks now. I think it was certainly the right decision to make.

Next year clubs bidding for academy players will continue to trade and swap their early picks for multiple later picks again. If its a deep draft then some clubs may also want to swap early picks for multiple later picks especially if they are turning over a few on their list. So this certainly gives us a way of getting back a 1st round pick.

I would also hope that we have now completed most of our list culling so will only be trying to turn over a few players next year. This years list upgrades should certainly should make us a much more attractive destination next year for any top gun midfields wanting to migrate south for the winters.

yes we did trade out next years 1st rounder to get the benefit of a better picks now. I think it was certainly the right decision to make.

Next year clubs bidding for academy players will continue to trade and swap their early picks for multiple later picks again. If its a deep draft then some clubs may also want to swap early picks for multiple later picks especially if they are turning over a few on their list. So this certainly gives us a way of getting back a 1st round pick.

I would also hope that we have now completed most of our list culling so will only be trying to turn over a few players next year. This years list upgrades should certainly should make us a much more attractive destination next year for any top gun midfields wanting to migrate south for the winters.

I don't. We haven't attracted a big fish, and our draftees will take time. The only thing that will attract interest is on-field success.

As crap as you may think Dawes and Pedersen to be - these kids are not ready in 2016, and probably not ready in 2017, and properly allowing these kids to develop at Casey is important haven't we agreed on?

Have we forgotten bitter experience?

• Like 5

As crap as you may think Dawes and Pedersen to be - these kids are not ready in 2016, and probably not ready in 2017, and properly allowing these kids to develop at Casey is important haven't we agreed on?

Have we forgotten bitter experience?

Spot on. I think Dawes can lift as well, he kind of has to if he wants to remain in the starting 22. The Oliver/Weideman combination is a perfect blend for us, one will be ready to hit the ground running, the other will take some time to develop. To get Weideman in this draft is ideal, it will mean that he SHOULD be ready to replace Dawes in 2017. Reports are that he is competitive in the air and keeps his eyes on the footy - those types usually come on pretty quickly in the AFL system.

• Like 1

The odds of getting of getting 50 AFL games out of a # 50 draft pick must just about be be less than 30:70. All we can say is that after delisting Jamar and off-loading Fitzpatrick -,they are the right "type of player" for the balance of our list. These are the speculative tips which distinguish between a good recruiter and a brilliant one.

M.King2 and Who-let are Taylor-made. Has he got the midas touch?

• Like 1