Discussion on recent allegations about the use of illicit drugs in football is forbidden
  • IMPORTANT: PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Posting unsubstantiated rumours on this website is strictly forbidden.

Demonland has made the difficult decision to not permit this platform to be used to discuss & debate the off-field issues relating to the Melbourne Football Club including matters currently being litigated between the Club & former Board members, board elections, the issue of illicit drugs in footy, the culture at the club & the personal issues & allegations against some of our players & officials ...

We do not take these issues & this decision lightly & of course we believe that these serious matters affecting the club we love & are so passionate about are worthy of discussion & debate & I wish we could provide a place where these matters can be discussed in a civil & respectful manner.

However these discussions unfortunately invariably devolve into areas that may be defamatory, libelous, spread unsubstantiated rumours & can effect the mental health of those involved. Even discussion & debate of known facts or media reports can lead to finger pointing, blame & personal attacks.

The repercussion is that these discussions can open this website, it’s owners & it’s users to legal action & may result in this website being forced to shutdown.

Our moderating team are all volunteers & cannot moderate the forum 24/7 & as a consequence problematic content that contravenes our rules & standards may go unnoticed for some time before it can be removed.

We reserve the right to delete posts that offend against our above policy & indeed, to ban posters who are repeat offenders or who breach our code of conduct.

WE HAVE BUILT A FANTASTIC ONLINE COMMUNITY AT DEMONLAND OVER THE PAST 23 YEARS & WE WOULD LIKE TO CONTINUE TO BE ABLE TO DISCUSS THE CLUB WE LOVE & ARE SO PASSIONATE ABOUT.

Thank you for your continued support & understanding. Go Dees.

The Frawley Factor

pitmaster

There are eighteen teams in the competition who would prefer Brayshaw over Frawley, why are people still complaining about free agency?

Because there are 17 teams who would prefer that Hawthorn had to give up something for Frawley, instead of just being able to continuously load up on quality mature players at discount prices while also not having to trade for them.

Seriously, they had pick 19 but were able to gazump the entire rest of the league to get Frawley. I wonder if West Coast or Freo or North or Richmond or Adelaide might have liked to have him on their list this finals series?

In contrast, we'd be giving up as much as two first round picks to acquire the likes of Luke Parker, solely because he is a year short of becoming a free agent.

As always, the AFL just completely fails to grasp nuances, side-effects or the whole idea of making things incremental to avoid 'moral hazard' situations.

They are making the same mistakes with free agency that they made with the sub rule, the interchange stewards, and most of all the priority pick system. And gee didn't that end well.

What really bugs me is that there isn't an issue in football that couldn't be set on a steady path to resolution, it would only take about three months of clear thinking at the top. Nnnrgh.

• Like 2

Because there are 17 teams who would prefer that Hawthorn had to give up something for Frawley, instead of just being able to continuously load up on quality mature players at discount prices while also not having to trade for them.

Seriously, they had pick 19 but were able to gazump the entire rest of the league to get Frawley. I wonder if West Coast or Freo or North or Richmond or Adelaide might have liked to have him on their list this finals series?

In contrast, we'd be giving up as much as two first round picks to acquire the likes of Luke Parker, solely because he is a year short of becoming a free agent.

I think you'll find he isn't eligible for free agency until the end of 2018??

Like how Hawthorn lost Franklin you mean?

I'm not a huge fan of free agency, but it's not the issue. The issue is (and has been for many years before free agency was introduced) players choosing which team they are traded to which is how they were able to get Gunston, Hale, Gibson and Burgoyne.

I'm not a huge fan of free agency, but it's not the issue. The issue is (and has been for many years before free agency was introduced) players choosing which team they are traded to which is how they were able to get Gunston, Hale, Gibson and Burgoyne.

Don't forget Luke Ball

We should have picked him up, but sat back like a good little club and let him walk right over us

Don't be surprised if James Aish announces a trade to Hawthorn

Congratulations to Frawley - the knockers and doomsayers were out in force after his insipid showing in the Qualifying Final.

However, in the 3 weeks following, he has claimed 3 significant 'scalps' - Tex, Pav, and now the Coleman Medallist.

That is surely not a fluke.

Having said that, it still looks like a 'good ordinary' player (channeling the late, great Jack Dyer for a moment), has had his performance and status elevated because of the guys around him.

For mine, Lake was better.

Regrettably, as other posters have noted, Frawley's success will surely lead to other bottom of the ladder clubs regularly having their best players 'cherry picked' by the rich, powerful and successful clubs.

Mediocrity for the poorer performing clubs will become entrenched.

How does an up & coming club with a bunch of promising youngsters hang onto its older, better, players who become impatient for success?

I appreciate that Courts frown upon Restraint of Trade type provisions in player contracts, but I would dearly love to know how the AFL proposes to respond.

Introduce a rule preventing Free Agents going to clubs more than, say, 4 places above them?

• Like 1

Maybe some kind of financial benefit for lower clubs who pick up free agents, ie. 25% of their salary doesn't fall into the salary cap.

Would enable lower clubs to pay more money to free agents without selling the farm in the process.

Top 4: no FAs in or must lose draft picks for FAs in, picks could be for future drafts. No trades in over the average AFL salary.

Bottom 4: no FAs out or receive the picks taken from from where the player is going as well as compo picks. AFL subsidised salaries for FAs in.

Not sure, getting too complex....

• Like 2

Congratulations to Frawley - the knockers and doomsayers were out in force after his insipid showing in the Qualifying Final.

However, in the 3 weeks following, he has claimed 3 significant 'scalps' - Tex, Pav, and now the Coleman Medallist.

That is surely not a fluke.

Having said that, it still looks like a 'good ordinary' player (channeling the late, great Jack Dyer for a moment), has had his performance and status elevated because of the guys around him.

For mine, Lake was better.

Regrettably, as other posters have noted, Frawley's success will surely lead to other bottom of the ladder clubs regularly having their best players 'cherry picked' by the rich, powerful and successful clubs.

Mediocrity for the poorer performing clubs will become entrenched.

How does an up & coming club with a bunch of promising youngsters hang onto its older, better, players who become impatient for success?

I appreciate that Courts frown upon Restraint of Trade type provisions in player contracts, but I would dearly love to know how the AFL proposes to respond.

Introduce a rule preventing Free Agents going to clubs more than, say, 4 places above them?

Last time checked there were 18 teams & only 1 team can win a flag .. Not all players will be premiership players... Restraint of trade is garbage when your originally drafted by whichever club picks you... Loyalty is a 2 way street but these players have to get a reality check, that not all of them can play for the Farken Hawks & win 3 flags in a row! Edited by Hogan2014

Frawley described the win as an "odd feeling".

Given he was injured and didn't play half the season, and not to mention walking straight into a dual-premiership team, I can see exactly why his first premiership feels a little odd.

It's a little bit like copying answers off a cheat sheet during an exam -- you might get a perfect score, but you didn't really earn it.

Edited by Lamashtu
  • Like 11

Frawley described the win as an "odd feeling".

Given he was injured and didn't play half the season, and not to mention walking straight into a dual-premiership team, I can see exactly why his first premiership feels a little odd.

It's a little bit like copying answers off a cheat sheet during an exam -- you might get a perfect score, but you didn't really earn it.

This.

You can't deny he made the right decision for his own future and has become a better footballer in the Hawks system.

However, his attitude during his time with us was terrible. He should have been a leader but wasn't and his cynical explanation about waiting to see what was happening at the Club before deciding whether to leave when he had obviously commited to the Hawks well in advance leaves a bad taste.

I don't begrudge him leaving especially considering what we got in return. But has he really become a better player? He had a good game today but has had some shockers this year. I don't think his disposal or decision making has improved.

You can't deny he made the right decision for his own future and has become a better footballer in the Hawks system.

However, his attitude during his time with us was terrible. He should have been a leader but wasn't and his cynical explanation about waiting to see what was happening at the Club before deciding whether to leave when he had obviously commited to the Hawks well in advance leaves a bad taste.

This post leaves a sour taste. I reckon Frawley did all he could for Melbourne. He's a limited player, who gave his all.

I went to a club function early in the year and he was most engaging.

He left, but I'm certain he would have preferred to stay given the right circumstances.

I suspect he gave far more to the club than anyone posting here.

Edited by ProDee
  • Like 5

He has been good the last 3 weeks, and he is now a premiership player. I don't like it, but it is what it is.

Once your team is purring it becomes pretty easy to recruit for specific roles, plug holes etc. Hawthorn are so settled, hopefully we reach this stage soon enough.

This post leaves a sour taste. I reckon Frawley did all he could for Melbourne. He's a limited player, who gave his all.

I went to a club function early in the year and he was most engaging.

He left, but I'm certain he would have preferred to stay given the right circumstances.

I suspect he gave far more to the club than anyone posting here.

If Chip had wanted to stay he would have signed on when Lynden Dunn signed

I went to the game yesterday and Chip did a great job on Kennedy. Kennedy is the coleman medalist and the key to the eagles. he has been in a great form. and to be held goalless was a great effort. All being West Coast didnt deliver the ball all that well.

Someone said a stat on radio yesterday. Chip played in 12 wins this season. It took him 4 seasons to do that at melbourne.

Chip copped it big time 3 weeks ago and he bounced back playing beautifully on walker and against freo last week. He went to a club that knows about success. With 10 minutes to go yesterday when he was looking around the ground quietly celebrating he was told go focus back on his job. Thats how professional the hawks are.

He wakes up this morning as a premiership player. Good one him.

• Like 1

He has been good the last 3 weeks, and he is now a premiership player. I don't like it, but it is what it is.

Once your team is purring it becomes pretty easy to recruit for specific roles, plug holes etc. Hawthorn are so settled, hopefully we reach this stage soon enough.

Yeah, good luck with that. Expect we'll be reaching that stage any day now. Only been fifty years.

Chip didn't do anything yesterday he hasn't done before in terms of playing his role.

Key defender....Clarko would of broken his role right down for him to keep it simple. Wear your opponent like a glove, punch the ball when it comes in, take the occasional mark if the opportunity presents. Don't try anything to fancy with the footy we have plenty of blokes around you for that.

His kicking hasn't improved.

His decision making hasn't improved.

His football as a whole hasn't improved, when he came to play he always was a reasonable defender.

He won a flag, congratulations.

We got Angus.

• Like 4