Harley Bennell

GawnWithTheWind

I recall Darling had baggage at the time, and many didn't do their homework.

This kid is a jet. I'd back those in charge now to make the right call.

I agree - he is a jet and we just what we need - pace and outside run. I just reckon the startup Gold Coast was the wrong environment for him. A young indigenous kid from WA having to move to the other side of the country to play footy. He was having trouble adjusting right from the start, so then they arranged for Karmichael Hunt to look after him. Crikey!! He just needs one of our Melbourne families to settle him in for a year or two. Gold Coast wouldn't have those kind of setups would they?

I would love seeing him running around in the Red and Blue on the MCG with Jeff Garlett, Nev Jetta and JKH. A week ago I thought Jeremy Howe and our second round draft pick could secure a trade, but now just Howie and keep our pick. I don't want to see Howie go, but if he is asking for more than $500K, it is too much, and Harley is more like the type of player we need anyway.

I thought Dion Prestia had already re-signed with Gold Coast??

• Like 1

Reward > risk, package Howe and our first pick for Bennell and Hall, strap Bennell to Jones pre-season, move him in with the Viney's, I think we have enough good football people to do it. Would rather him be packaged with someone else so if he is a bust, it's not a total loss

• Like 1

Nope. The sheep are those who refuse to believe it is prevalent.

That wasn't your argument but nice try.

I agree - he is a jet and we just what we need - pace and outside run. I just reckon the startup Gold Coast was the wrong environment for him. A young indigenous kid from WA having to move to the other side of the country to play footy. He was having trouble adjusting right from the start, so then they arranged for Karmichael Hunt to look after him. Crikey!! He just needs one of our Melbourne families to settle him in for a year or two. Gold Coast wouldn't have those kind of setups would they?

I would love seeing him running around in the Red and Blue on the MCG with Jeff Garlett, Nev Jetta and JKH. A week ago I thought Jeremy Howe and our second round draft pick could secure a trade, but now just Howie and keep our pick. I don't want to see Howie go, but if he is asking for more than $500K, it is too much, and Harley is more like the type of player we need anyway.

I thought Dion Prestia had already re-signed with Gold Coast??

He didn't re-sign he just said he would honour his contract with GC. Effectively saying he wont seek a trade but that doesn't actually rule out him being traded.

Edited by Chris

The good thing is that the Suns are now in a position where they have to get rid of him and that means his value in terms of talent (probably pick 1-5) is mitigated by his risk factor.

The fact that he's the ideal sort of player for us is now somewhat irrelevant.

It all gets down to whether or not our footy department feel he can be managed and redirected into becoming a reliable person - that's no easy if he is a binge man, but then all clubs have them, but some players are smart enough to not be public nuisances when they are on the tear.

I have faith that Roosy will make the right decision and I'd imagine he would also consult Jeffy and Neville on this as well and also he'd have to feel that our whole list is mature enough now to cope with someone who may need redirection.

I like the philosophy of those above who now think we could gain GC's second round pick in return - that pick could come in handy for Adelaide's Tom Lynch. I don't actually think such a trade is fanciful anymore, because Harley has put himself in the damaged goods basket meaning he no longer warrants so much.

How rapt would Roosy be if he ended up with Bennell (assuming he is reprogramable), Lynch and one of Tomlinson/Plowman and did not even have to give up Howey.

The only loser out of it all would be Jason Taylor, but he can cope based on Vanders and Harmes and White.

Harley Bennell has kicked 6 goals in a game before (from midfield). Nobody on our list has done that.

He has speed and skill, which we lack.

He is a match winner, which we lack.

He has confidence, which we lack.

He is worth the punt when we have people like Neville Jetta to mentor him.

• Like 5

How was that not the argument?

I think you may have comprehension issues.

To quote you "I'd also say you're quite content being a sheep if you're so caught up in the legality."

Your argument is clearly that if you follow the 'it's illegal' line of thinking then you are a sheep.

Your argument, not mine.

Maybe if you want people to understand you then actually write what you mean.

Harley Bennell has kicked 6 goals in a game before (from midfield). Nobody on our list has done that.

He has speed and skill, which we lack.

He is a match winner, which we lack.

He has confidence, which we lack.

He is worth the punt when we have people like Neville Jetta to mentor him.

He's a great talent, no doubt about that.

...but we are still not in a position to take a punt.

Either the footy department think he is a good investment or they don't. I expect they will do their homework and make the right decision.

• Like 4

He didn't re-sign he just said he would honour his contract with GC. Effectively saying he wont seek a trade but that doesn't actually rule out him being traded.

Actually, his manager said he'd honour his contract and they've never lied before...

I would not give up our pick 6 for him. They want him gone, we play fair, but weighed in our favour, if that doesn't get it done he goes elsewhere.

Too many variables to give up pick 6.

Howe and our second round pick? Apparently it's a thin draft beyond about pick 15 or so.

• Like 1

To quote you "I'd also say you're quite content being a sheep if you're so caught up in the legality."

Your argument is clearly that if you follow the 'it's illegal' line of thinking then you are a sheep.

Your argument, not mine.

Maybe if you want people to understand you then actually write what you mean.

Nope.

Be a simpleton if you like, but I was making the point that legality has no bearing on prevalence, and simultaneously that legality does not equate to morality.

Concepts beyond your comprehension maybe or incapable of reading multiple posts and understanding the theme; I don't care which it is.

You're wrong.

Actually, his manager said he'd honour his contract and they've never lied before...

Managers lie....never!

I am certainly not confident and think next year is more likely, if ever, but the door hasn't been shut, just closed a little more.

• Like 2

Nope.

Be a simpleton if you like, but I was making the point that legality has no bearing on prevalence, and simultaneously that legality does not equate to morality.

Concepts beyond your comprehension maybe or incapable of reading multiple posts and understanding the theme; I don't care which it is.

You're wrong.

Then maybe you should actually write that, your quote above shows very clearly what it was you said, unless of course you don't stand by what you said?

I would not give up our pick 6 for him. They want him gone, we play fair, but weighed in our favour, if that doesn't get it done he goes elsewhere.

Not a chance I'd offer up a first round pick, not for this kid. On talent he is probably with 3 consecutive first round picks. Bennell is trouble.

• Like 2

It'd be exactly why I'd be wanting their end of 1st round comp pick back.

For mine excluding academy players there's a clear top 2, 3 players in the next tier below, then a very even crop out to around 18 or 19. With our 7th win likely taking us the best 5 out of our reach (I'm more than ok with us winning and potentially losing out on one of those 5, the win was important for our young blokes). The talent declines further after pick 25ish.

Getting that end of 1st round pick back in the deal involving pick 6 mitigates some of that risk IMO. Maybe we could even flip that pick to GWS for Tomlinson. They are looking for picks to alleviate their Academy points deficit, and Tomlinson appears to be gettable.

Like everyone, if we choose to pursue Bennell, I hope we retain pick 6, but still think it's unlikely.

Edited by ChaserJ

The only certainty about trading for HB, is that it will turn out to be either a recruiting masterstroke or a monumental stuff up. No middle ground in this equation. I want him and I don't.

• Like 2

It's a no brainer if the club feels it can manage his behaviour.

Not only is he talented, his output is consistent. Even in the face of the off field drama. His first game back from the post pictorial suspension he netted 39 touches. Even in his quieter games, Bennell hits the scoreboard.

His performance is quite extraordinary when you consider the chaos of his year off field.

• Like 5

I really hope we're doing our homework on Bennell and would love for us to take a punt on him if he isn't too much of a basket case, but I wouldn't let pick 6 even enter the conversation. Not even if we got Bennell and pick 19.

Would be happy to discuss Howe / Watts / 2nd rounder / 3rd rounder or a combination of these, but no way on earth should we be risking pick 6 on a bloke who is quite possibly one big night away from a spell on the sidelines.

The top 10 is where the cream is and we should be adding another elite youngster to Hogan, Brayshaw, Viney, Petracca, Salem, Gawn etc. If a Prestia or Treloar had've been available then fine, but pick 6 should not be on the table at all for Bennell IMO.

• Like 2