Casey Scorpions v Geelong

KC from Casey

White didn't play in either Casey team today.

He probably would be a candidate for mystery injury of the week but Heritier beat him to the punch by a couple of days.

Thought that may have been the case. How about Tim Smith? I saw moncreif was wearing his number but didnt see the bull out there.

Newton: Suprised he wasn't named in the best, as I thought this was the best game I've seen him play. Didn't get huge numbers, but he used it well and kicked two really class goals. Looked a notch above, but he needs to show the form of todat at AFL level next time he gets his chance. Played midfield/half forward.

Michie: Opposite to Newton in a way. Not saying he didn't play well, but I was suprised he was named in the best as he didn't seem to stand out today as much as I've seen him do so on other days. I normally see him as a link player, creating run and carry through the midfield, but he seemed to have more of an inside role this week, which is probably why he didn't stand out to me. But for the people that matter, he obviously played his role.

Nice work AAC.

I was thinking very similar - I thought Michie started off on fire but slipped out of the game, and at the same time Newton stepped up to take over his lead.

Harmes had a pretty good first quarter but just kept improving all game. Thought he was stiff to not be paid the spring-heeled speccy in the last.

And Fitzy beat anyone near him down back all day.

Hunt only came into view with his first goal at half time, but then seemed to keep popping up in the range somewhere between a kick ahead of the pack and the goal square. His first goal was a pressure one after the half time siren and he did it very well.

Jamar had many strong marks against the bigger Simpson all around the ground.

Many players can be happy with the games today.

• Like 1

And I agree with Samael. The Grouseburger (egg and bacon roll) should have been in the best list this week. I think they recognised we were cold supporters so they piled on extra bacon.

I ate one of those egg and bacon rolls at Casey once.

Once.

Gave me the nastiest case of the shits I've ever experienced. I had to pull into a shopping centre and make an emergency dash for a loo on the way home. There are few more nightmarish situations than rushing through an unfamiliar shopping centre with your buttocks clenched desperately in an attempt to keep anything from escaping while trying to make sense of the signage that says that there is a loo somewhere down there, apparently in the middle of a flower stall. I count myself fortunate that I did manage to find it, and more so that apparently nobody else had managed to decipher the signs as the stall was empty when I go there. The less said about what followed the better.

• Like 12

"worse than hopeless". OUCH!!!!

Poor Sean Terlich.

Haha, my bad. In my defence the D and S are very close together.

"Probably should have kicked at least 2, in the end kicked 0.4 with one into the man on the mark. "

The conditions may have played a part but i understand he is normally considered a very nice kick? Regardless I'd rather he kick none from 5 shots than one from one. He is generating chances so hopefully it comes together.

Agreed. A player well worth keeping faith in.

AAC - what percentage of the ruck-work is King taking?

Not a heap. 10% tops in the centre. But he took pretty much all ruck contests inside forward 50 allowing Jamar to stay a kick behind play.

Great summary. You forgot to rate the bacon rolls. And yes it must be one of the coldest places in Victoria. I liked Fitzy moving forward at times, gave a great option.

They are one of the great things about Casey Fields. Didn't grab one today myself, but the beers sure went down nicely!
  • Like 1

THE PINK PUSSY CATS by KC from Casey

The Casey Scorpions held on to their finals hopes with a rousing eight goal victory over the Geelong Cats at Casey Fields. It was a fitting outcome for the club on its annual Pink Ribbon Day in support of breast cancer research.

The Scorpions came into the game with only eight senior AFL-listed players and two rookies against the Cats who had senior premiership player and Brownlow Medallist Jimmy Bartel in their ranks along with a couple of others who had been selected to play in the AFL team whose game against Adelaide was cancelled due to the untimely death of Phil Walsh. The Cats were expected to dominate but their team performance was subdued, perhaps due to that situation.

Casey led from the opening moments of the game, built up a strong lead of 31 points with the aid of a stiff breeze by the end of the first quarter, doing so without conceding a goal. It then scored the first goal against the wind early in the second term and defended strongly with Jack Fitzpatrick, Evan Panozza and Oscar McDonald holding tight and creating plenty of run as well to ensure the home side had a handy lead at the main break. At half time, there were eight single goal kickers and the team led by 22 points.

Once again, the Scorpions were well served in the ruck by the experienced Mark Jamar who disposed of giant Cat Dawson Simpson and gave his on ballers headed by Viv Michie, the constantly improving James Harmes, Ben Newton and Jordie McKenzie an armchair ride throughout the game.

pink.jpeg

With the heavens opening up to bring more rain at the start of the third term, Casey pressed home its advantage in the difficult conditions so that they led by 35 points at three quarter time, a lead which proved to be too much for the visitors. The Scorpions stormed away to a big victory and a place in the top eight with its 48 point win turning Geelong which had inflicted some big defeats on them in recent seasons into meek little pussy cats. Justin Plapp would be well pleased with the form of some of his youngsters.

Harmes was a prolific ball winner while goal sneaks Jayden Hunt and Tom Papley kicked three goals each. The latter has been a clever small goal kicking forward for the past two seasons with the Gippsland Power where he has kicked 22 goals to date this year. After a quiet first half Hunt, who scored his first goal late in the second term, proved a real danger player for the Cats with his pace and attack on the football. Former Gold Coast Sun Jack Hutchins played another solid game and is putting up his hand to be redrafted at the end of the year.

Next week, Casey plays in a make-or-break game at home against Port Melbourne to who it lowered its colours at North Port Oval in May. A win would secure a place in the top eight but a loss will make things hard with some tough contests ahead of them.

2015 Peter Jackson VFL

Casey Scorpions 5.3.33 8.3.51 11.6.72 14.9.93

Geelong Cats 0.2.2 4.5.29 5.7.37 6.9.45

Goals

Casey Scorpions Hunt Papley 3 Newton 2 Byrnes Jamar McKenzie Moncrieff Morris Paredes

Geelong Cats Blease Hollmer Jansen Kolodjashnij Maas Read

Best

Casey Scorpions Jamar Michie Harmes Papley Fitzpatrick Hutchins

Geelong Cats Bartel Jansen Ruggles Kolodjashnij Horlin-Smith Rees

Statistics

Jack Fitzpatrick 17 disposals 9 kicks 8 hand passes 8 marks 6 tackles 1 hit out 89 dream team points

James Harmes 1 behind 29 disposals 13 kicks 16 hand passes 6 marks 11 tackles 135 dream team points

Jayden Hunt 3 goals 1 behind 12 disposals 9 kicks 3 hand passes 6 marks 1 tackle 74 dream team points

Mark Jamar 1 goal 13 disposals 11 kicks 2 hand passes 4 marks 2 tackles 38 hit outs 96 dream team points

Max King 3 behinds 11 disposals 9 kicks 2 hand passes 3 marks 6 tackles 12 hit outs 76 dream team points

Oscar McDonald 9 disposals 7 kicks 2 hand passes 2 marks 31 dream team points

Jordie McKenzie 1 goal 28 disposals 14 kicks 14 hand passes 3 marks 9 tackles 120 dream team points

Viv Michie 26 disposals 20 kicks 6 hand passes 5 marks 4 tackles 104 dream team points

Ben Newton 2 goals 1 behind 18 disposals 10 kicks 8 hand passes 1 mark 8 tackles 95 dream team points

Dean Terlich 19 disposals 11 kicks 8 hand passes 2 marks 4 tackles 69 dream team points

With the injury toll at Melbourne and to a lesser extent at Casey, the Scorpions' development team was overrun by Sandringham at the end and lost by 29 points.

2015 AFL Victoria Development League

Casey Scorpions 1.5.11 2.6.18 4.9.33 4.13.37

Sandringham 2.2.14 2.8.20 5.10.40 9.12.66

Goals

Casey Scorpions Rennie 3 Waters

Sandringham Zijai 5 Williams 2 Ong Weickhardt

Best

Casey Scorpions Gains Fisscher McDonald Keilty Corrigan Petropoulos

SandringhamMurdoch Zijai Maitland Markworth Verma Persson

Disposals K Wilson 23 Plummer 21 Pattison 19 Petropoulos 18 Muir 17

• Like 1

Scorps looking sharp early and hold a 20 point lead after Gippsland Power youngster Tom Papley kicks a goal for the Scorpions. Papley is the 23rd man and hails from Bunyip.

When I seen T.Papley named I immediately thought of Max Papley, who was a legend in the VFA days. And didnt go too badly playing for Sth.Melb.An educated guess methinks would be Max's grandson. Not a bad game first up with 3 goals to his name. Hopefully we get to see him play more games at Casey.

Disposal stats from the game. James Harmes had one disposal less than the great Jimmy Bartel. Great effort.

Jack Fitzpatrick 17 disposals 9 kicks 8 hand passes 8 marks 6 tackles 1 hit out 89 dream team points

James Harmes 1 behind 29 disposals 13 kicks 16 hand passes 6 marks 11 tackles 135 dream team points

Jayden Hunt 3 goals 1 behind 12 disposals 9 kicks 3 hand passes 6 marks 1 tackle 74 dream team points

Mark Jamar 1 goal 13 disposals 11 kicks 2 hand passes 4 marks 2 tackles 38 hit outs 96 dream team points

Max King 3 behinds 11 disposals 9 kicks 2 hand passes 3 marks 6 tackles 12 hit outs 76 dream team points

Oscar McDonald 9 disposals 7 kicks 2 hand passes 2 marks 31 dream team points

Jordie McKenzie 1 goal 28 disposals 14 kicks 14 hand passes 3 marks 9 tackles 120 dream team points

Viv Michie 26 disposals 20 kicks 6 hand passes 5 marks 4 tackles 104 dream team points

Ben Newton 2 goals 1 behind 18 disposals 10 kicks 8 hand passes 1 mark 8 tackles 95 dream team points

Dean Terlich 19 disposals 11 kicks 8 hand passes 2 marks 4 tackles 69 dream team points

CASEY coach Justin Plapp reviews the Melbourne-listed players who played in the VFL

VFL

Saturday, July 4, Casey Fields, 2 pm

Casey Scorpions 14.9 (93) d Geelong 6.9 (45)

“We felt that we put our best four quarter performance for the year. Our numbers from a stats point of view and the key indicators that we’re trying to reach most weeks were very good. We tackled at 84 per cent and had 108 tackles, which is a monster amount, when we average 60 to 80 tackles a game. It was an outstanding effort. It was a really strong reflection on the way we played the game. We played the style of footy that we encourage our players to play. We were really compliant for four quarters. It was well advertised that Geelong had four of five players come back from their senior team at late notice and we were asked to comply with that. We felt it was a really strong challenge with AFL players Jimmy Bartel, Jordan Murdoch, Jake Kolodjashnij and Dawson Simpson coming back into the senior side at late notice. It was a real credit to the players, because it didn’t distract from the task at hand. When guys like Jimmy Bartel play in the VFL, it can be overawing for our players, particularly some young players. But the way we played our roles was a real credit to them. Overall, it was a terrific effort.” – Justin Plapp

Jack Fitzpatrick: Fitzy was one of our key defenders. He marked the opposition ball six or seven times. He had four effective tackles and 18 disposals, and was one of our most influential players on the day. He played his role exactly the way we want him to play. His two games at VFL level have been at a very high standard.

James Harmes: I felt it was Harmesy’s best performance for the year. He had 26 possessions, 12 effective tackles, which is a huge amount and one of the biggest we’ve had for the year, from any one particular player. He played inside mid and used his size and power. His contested footy and his extraction from the contest was at a really high level. He jumped at the ball and took a couple of really strong contested marks. He’s developing his football each week and keeps improving, so things are looking pretty bright for Harmesy. He’s one of our rookies, so he’s going to have to keep on grinding out performances, but I was really pleased for him, because he’s working really hard at his game.

Jayden Hunt: Hunty played his first senior VFL game for the year and was terrific. He had 11 disposals and kicked 3.1. We played him as a high half-forward role and he had four effective tackles. It was probably his best performance at the club. He’s had some challenges over the journey and two weeks ago, he broke his jaw and had surgery. He missed the North Ballarat game and then we had the bye and then he played again, so it’s a real credit to the young man. I reckon it’s a real point in his career, where he can walk away from the game and really know that the reason why he was drafted was what he showed on the weekend. We were really, really pleased for Hunty.

Mark Jamar: I felt Mark was one of our best players – if not our best on the day. He dominated the ruck and I felt he had a really good duel with Dawson Simpson. He went forward and kicked a goal and provided us with some strong around the ground stuff as well. He had 13 possessions, four tackles and marked the ball really strongly at times. He also kicked a goal. Mark was really influential in giving our midfielders first use. He’s been pretty solid for a number of weeks now.

Max King: Kingy was good for a big fella. He wasn’t really efficient in front of goal – he missed three goals and kicked three behinds for the day. He had 11 possessions and four effective tackles. From a ruck/forward player, his second and third efforts were a real highlight. He negated numerous contests, where he had to bring ball to ground. If he kicked straight, he probably would’ve hit the scoreboard more than he did. He certainly played the role of our key position players. He’s done it pretty tough this year and had to grind out performances, but he’s holding his own at VFL level at the moment.

Oscar McDonald: Oscar bounced back really manfully after his performance against North Ballarat. I thought he lowered his colours – like a lot of our players – against North Ballarat, but he was really solid one-on-one and defended well against Geelong. We’ve been working really hard with him and one of his focus areas is his body work. His performance on the weekend was what we needed and he continues to develop.

Jordie McKenzie: Macca was super on the weekend. He played wing/half-back and had 10 effective tackles. He ended up having 26 possessions, so he was really influential. His hardness and his defensive work around the football were at a really high level. He won and created numerous critical contests. We were really pleased with his effort on the weekend.

Viv Michie: Viv was super. He was one of our better players on the weekend. He had 28 possessions, four effective tackles and provided a lot of inside work. His outside work linked us forward – and it was as good as I’ve seen him at VFL level this year. It was a really, really high quality game from Viv.

Ben Newton: Benny had 16 possessions and kicked two goals, which were both from forward 50 stoppages and were really classy. He ended up having 11 effective tackles and he played midfield/wing. His past month, he missed a couple of weeks through a pretty bad concussion and only played half a game, so he’s missed a bit of football in the past month. It was good to see him have a full game under his belt and play his role. His work around the footy, from a tackling and closing out point of view was really good.

Dean Terlich: Terls played his role on the weekend. He had 18 possessions, four tackles and tackled at 100 per cent, which is something we focus on. He played in that small defender role and kept his opponent in check, but made a couple of costly turnovers. But from a defensive point of view and role point of view, he did what was required.

these two are starting to interest me:

Jayden Hunt: Hunty played his first senior VFL game for the year and was terrific. He had 11 disposals and kicked 3.1. We played him as a high half-forward role and he had four effective tackles. It was probably his best performance at the club. He’s had some challenges over the journey and two weeks ago, he broke his jaw and had surgery. He missed the North Ballarat game and then we had the bye and then he played again, so it’s a real credit to the young man. I reckon it’s a real point in his career, where he can walk away from the game and really know that the reason why he was drafted was what he showed on the weekend. We were really, really pleased for Hunty.

http://www.melbournefc.com.au/news/2013-11-21/pick-57-jayden-hunt

James Harmes: I felt it was Harmesy’s best performance for the year. He had 26 possessions, 12 effective tackles, which is a huge amount and one of the biggest we’ve had for the year, from any one particular player. He played inside mid and used his size and power. His contested footy and his extraction from the contest was at a really high level. He jumped at the ball and took a couple of really strong contested marks. He’s developing his football each week and keeps improving, so things are looking pretty bright for Harmesy. He’s one of our rookies, so he’s going to have to keep on grinding out performances, but I was really pleased for him, because he’s working really hard at his game.

• Like 1

Meanwhile, some things don't change no matter what level you play at. Sorry to say, but he will most likely be the first (?) AFL listed player to be delisted by the same coach at two different clubs. Hope he doesn't take it personally:

Dean Terlich: Terls played his role on the weekend. He had 18 possessions, four tackles and tackled at 100 per cent, which is something we focus on. He played in that small defender role and kept his opponent in check, but made a couple of costly turnovers. But from a defensive point of view and role point of view, he did what was required.

Agree

Some are saying that Hunt is a dud (a super offensive term IMO to say of anyone who has been on an AFL list, even those who prove not to be up to it, but that is another issue), but this is actually the first time he has had a real opportunity to show his wares. He seems to have done what is asked of him. Whether he will continue to impress and progress is still an unknown, but credit where it is due.

Harmes seems to do what is asked of him too, and must be seriously pressing with Matt Jones and Bail not progressing as they would have hoped. 12 tackles is great for a rookie, or for anyone for that matter.

IMO they (44 & 45) are the ones who are fighting for their future, which IMO looks pretty bleak. But, unlike the armchair critics they have made it onto an AFL list, and have tried they best, for which we should be thankful. Getting a bit classical, but Melius quam nunquam amittitur amarentur amavimus

Meanwhile, some things don't change no matter what level you play at. Sorry to say, but he will most likely be the first (?) AFL listed player to be delisted by the same coach at two different clubs. Hope he doesn't take it personally:

I was at the game. Boy, was it cold; I think I am still recovering.

Terlich's disposal was vintage Terls. He would do better to always take the first option and not run himself into trouble and then require a disposal that is beyond his capabilities to recover from.

Agree

Some are saying that Hunt is a dud (a super offensive term IMO to say of anyone who has been on an AFL list, even those who prove not to be up to it, but that is another issue), but this is actually the first time he has had a real opportunity to show his wares. He seems to have done what is asked of him. Whether he will continue to impress and progress is still an unknown, but credit where it is due.

Harmes seems to do what is asked of him too, and must be seriously pressing with Matt Jones and Bail not progressing as they would have hoped. 12 tackles is great for a rookie, or for anyone for that matter.

IMO they (44 & 45) are the ones who are fighting for their future, which IMO looks pretty bleak. But, unlike the armchair critics they have made it onto an AFL list, and have tried they best, for which we should be thankful. Getting a bit classical, but Melius quam nunquam amittitur amarentur amavimus

One thing I Iike about Harmes is he can take a strong grab, this is a real plus for a mid.

• Like 3

For those who have watched Jayden Hunt play how quick is he? Does he use his speed to advantage?

Im excited he has electrifying pace but at the same time hope he isn't another Sam Blease.

Great vibes from Plapp's review. My feeling is that he is a 'strait shooter' who doesn't to 'sugar coat' performances. Very encouraging in relation to a few of the youngsters. They just need to back it up week after week..

• Like 1

Agree

Mono with the draft this year being rated as particularly poor, I would expect that Harmes will be upgraded.

I think Hunt has the rest of the year to show something or it will be curtains which is a shame because as you say he's had a terrible run of luck with injuries.

Great vibes from Plapp's review. My feeling is that he is a 'strait shooter' who doesn't to 'sugar coat' performances. Very encouraging in relation to a few of the youngsters. They just need to back it up week after week..

Good point. I also think he well and truly has the respect of the playing group, something Welsh lost very early on last year. Good signs all round.

I thought one of them played school footy with Salem and Kelly and at that level he was as good if not better then the other 2.

Salem and Kelly just developed a bit quicker.

I thought one of them played school footy with Salem and Kelly and at that level he was as good if not better then the other 2.

Hunt played with them. Heard from people who went to watch the others at school and left saying how good that Hunt kid was.

He really has been desperately unlucky with injuries, and surely the coaching staff know this. If he's not extended by a year (which I think is likely) then they can always rookie him (which I think is likely).

Upside galore.

• Like 1

That was Hunt. And he was better in the game that Robert Shaw (who was speaking to Finey on the radio at the time post-draft) watched. Salem and Kelly were dominant but he said Hunt was even more so, on that particular day.