POST MATCH DISCUSSION - Round 10

Demonland

What is vanders injury?

Hammy 3 to 4 weeks according to channel 7. Gee we manage an injury in every match unlike so many top sides that barely register a bruise week in week out.

Just got back home and for parts of that game it was the best I have seen the Dees play in a long, long time. Multiple goals in a run-on, end to end football, some manic tackling, and some genuine passion around the contest. But I do think it was a game we lost rather than they won, and I say this for two reasons:

Whether it was the coaches, the on-field leaders, or individual players during play - leaving Oxley to play the way he did after half time was sub local footy standard. Simply poor footy. Kicking it anywhere near him, or least no-one stopping his run was frustrating and incompetent.

We lacked composure and poise at critical moments. 1) Fitzy's throw 2) 2 x Toumpas handballs to stationary targets on HB flank 3) Watts should have dived and chest marked the ball 4) Garland, Dunn, MacDonald repeated tiny, dinky little handballs under pressure that missed targets 5) Allowing Elliot to run over the mark for a goal. 6) the Dunn kick out 7) Gawn's kick turnover etc...

Gawn was magnificent today, as was Brayshaw.

We would be absolutely stuffed without Jones, Vince and Cross.

Tommy Mac had a shocker.

I can't believe that the only game of the year Cloke can kick straight is against us.

Watts's 16 possessions were pure class and brought about goals, but his errors put much of the good work into the shadows.

Lamumba's possessions were mostly garbage - a poor game. I can't believe the AFL website talking him up.

Edited by Maldonboy38
  • Like 4

McDonald got cleaned up by Cloke that is all. Not that he did much wrong but it was his worst game this season I think. Gee we could have used a few high marks down back that TMac usually does. They had Cloke kicking 7 straight and Oxley marking everything up in our forward line. Those two did us in.

So Cloke kicked his first 4 on McDonald? Must've missed that. Just didn't really get why we moved T-Mac forward, he's not a real threat there. He did butcher a couple of kicks from the back half though. Dunn had an up and down game

Just got back home and for parts of that game it was the best I have seen the Dees play in a long, long time. Multiple goals in a run-on, end to end football, some manic tackling, and some genuine passion around the contest. But I do think it was a game we lost rather than they won, and I say this for two reasons:

Whether it was the coaches, the on-field leaders, or individual players during play - leaving Oxley to play the way he did after half time was sub local footy standard. Simply poor footy. Kicking it anywhere near him, or least no-one stopping his run was frustrating and incompetent.

We lacked composure and poise at critical moments. 1) Fitzy's throw 2) 2 x Toumpas handballs to stationary targets on HB flank 3) Watts should have dived and chest marked the ball 4) Garland, Dunn, MacDonald repeated tiny, dinky little handballs under pressure that missed targets 5) Allowing Elliot to run over the mark for a goal. etc...

Gawn was magnificent today, as was Brayshaw.

We would be absolutely stuffed without Jones, Vince and Cross.

Tommy Mac had a shocker.

I can't believe that the only game of the year Cloke can kick straight is against us.

Watts's 16 possessions were pure class and brought about goals, but his errors put much of the good work into the shadows.

Lamumba's possessions were mostly garbage - a poor game. I can't believe the AFL website talking him up.

Lumumba ran himself into danger frequently, but I liked his run and link up he gave us from defence, which is where he should be playing

• Like 1

In a day where our midfield had a great game, the forwards and backs were beaten.

Oxley and Cloke were the difference, and Fitzpatrick and Dunns gift goals cost us any chance of winning.

How's that hey? Usually it's the other way around - well at least some of the backs often stand up, but the midfield is usually lacking. I live for the day when it will all click together in all parts of the ground.

You can visit me in hospital afterwards because I reckon my heart won't be able to take the excitement.

• Like 2

Loved Gawn's ruckwork. The flick over the back from the throw in was something you just don't get from jamar or spencer. Just get 12 more games into him.

Expect better from Roos. McDonald to cloke was a terrible decison. Tmac doesn't have the strength to wrestle with cloke, and it robbed us of so much of T mac's run when cloke dragged him to the goal square. Shouldn't have taken 4 goals to make the change either.

Couldn't work out how Howe held his spot but pleased he did - 3 goals on the big stage might help his trade value.

Brayshaw going to be a beauty. Exciting to think Petracca was even higher rated.

So Cloke kicked his first 4 on McDonald? Must've missed that. Just didn't really get why we moved T-Mac forward, he's not a real threat there. He did butcher a couple of kicks from the back half though. Dunn had an up and down game

What game were you watching?

TMac wasn't moved forward, he got loose when playing in defence to take a mark up forward which shows his good workrate

My co spectator for the game.. A magpie thought we were a bit stiff given Cloke picked this game to have a day out. Had he been his normal self we might have won lol.

A of of good footy today. Still some lamentable brain faded on and off the field.

I'm done with Lumumba trying to break out of a pack only to get tackled. Does that give anyone else the shits?

doesnt need to all the time for sure.

I reckon we really miss Salem and Kent.

would have been different eh ?

The fact he couldn't run out the game as well as you think he should have had zero impact on the result.

He was far more valuable then either of Jamar or Spencer have been for us and his match fitness will improve once he stays in the side.

there is a gulf between gawn and spencer, and jamar is gawwwwwn.,,

• Like 1

A few interesting comments already here - you wonder if these early comments were from people watching on TV.

Yes Oxley did roam free at the back, but that is the way of all defences and why Dunny and others get a lot of the ball these days. It's a big call to man up all over the field and means you can't play a zone - whcih universally has been acclaimed as the best sort of defence for the past decade - every side from Hawthorn down does it.

I was dirty on the non-selection of Grimes, but there were a lot of great match-ups that Roosy got right.

When is the last time we've played the Pies and Pendles, Swan and Sidebottom haven't been in their best five for instance?

Ultimately we still made too many errors but part of that was because unlike last year, both sides took the game on - at least for the first half.

As to players, the following comments:

Cross - brilliant game and one of the few who really marked well all day - kept Sidebottom quiet and forced them to move him on to Jones in last quarter to break his tag.

Vince - when is the last time Pendles was average and Bernie also clocked up 34 disposals - still bombs long a bit often, but clearly in our best five.

Jones - What a game. Back to his best from last year and seemed to enjoy having a ruckman who could palm it down to him.

Brayshaw - phenomenal second quarter and whilst it will be great to see him play in the midfield, we need him up forward at moment until Kent comes back. Ignore his low possessions, he had about five score assists.

Gawn - His tapwork was at times superb and shows the benefit of having a beanpole at the bounce. He had a great day until midway through third term when he started to tire. Grundy's ground skills became a huge factor from then on and Spencer was missed. You have to wonder why we don't play the two big men.

Fitzy - he really attacked the ball hard and is coming along but he's prone to errors and needs to work on his tackling - sorry Fitzy fans but I'd prefer if he went back and fine-tuned a little more in the magoos.

Watts - Yes, if you watched the TV you will have noticed that he completely mucked up when he should have dived two-handed for a mark first term. But apart from that, this was a very good Wattsy day and the first time in ages where I say he still could be a player. He was put back in midfield (mainly on the wing) and his attack on ball was massively better than previous games. At one stage he almost looked aggressive. I kid you not.

Viney - Copped a really hard knock to leg early, but it was his kicking that misfired badly and lacks penetration. But his aggression, coupled with Riley, was a major factor in us doing well at clearances. I still prefer him as a tagger and I hope he has Jack Steven's name next week.

Howey - if he had kept playing the game like his first quarter then not only would we have won, but he'd be the hottest uncontracted player in the country. But he tired again which raises the question, is he fit like last year or just disinterested?

Tom Mc - burnt by Cloke early, he has probably blown his certain AA spot now with a couple of farcical attempts to run the ball out. He still might get his AA, but he'll need a few more great games now later in the year.

Hoges - His worst game so far as Frosty was quick enough for him and managed to tunnel him out of contest most of the time. His body language when we scored wasn't good either. It's OK Hoges, we realise you won't get the ball all the time.

Toump - Look he did keep finding the ball, which shows his endurance is up there, but you would have to be Greek to love the way he plays. Magoos await.

Jetta - Got touched up early by Elliott but stuck to his task and did provide a bit of run at times. Not his best game, but he's still the right sort of player down there for us. We just need Salem with him.

Garland - Had a tricky time picking up a mix of Pie smalls and did a pretty serviceable job - especially against Swanny.

Vanders - a big loss when he went off as his tackling and intensity was huge up until then.

Riley - made some very big early plays with his tackling and ferocity. Tired after half time, but well worth keeping in side. We need his intensty, especially if Vanders is out for long.

Newton - He did well early with a couple of key tackles but really seemed to tire and his lack of pace, when he's playing on the wing, is a real worry. I'm sorry Newts fans, but he's not quite there yet and will need a big pre-season of running I suspect. Either that or he's been flogged too hard in the past week when he had the game off.

Matt Jones - Came on at half time and provided a fair bit of run, but he just does not seem to have the confidence to really damage sides as an outside mid.

Pedo - Another really serviceable game and along with Cross, one of our few players who had clean hands all day in the air. Dawesy won't get back while he's in this form.

• Like 4

Lumumba ran himself into danger frequently, but I liked his run and link up he gave us from defence, which is where he should be playing

But his run and carry has not worked for most of this season and it definitely did not today. Opposition know his trick inside out now - pause, sprint away and either kick long, or a dinky tiny little foot or hand pass. He got caught or caught out too often today and did not have a plan B. Poor game.

• Like 1

Totally agree. We gave up at least 5 or 6 goals from stupid turn overs. Gawn's kick off half back is another one off the top of my head.

And the attendance was 66,000.

Apparently they scored 13 goals 2 from t/overs.....

I'm done with Lumumba trying to break out of a pack only to get tackled. Does that give anyone else the shits?

Lumumba who I often call The Prince was unbelievable today. He did some great contested stuff but really his play in the first two quarters had me screaming "don't give it to Crazy Horse" because you had no idea what he was going to do under pressure next. Bizarre stuff at times. I don't know what to make of him but I do worry when our experienced leaders have brain fades like his and Dunn's kick in turn over. I can live with kids making basic errors but when members of your leadership group are having brain fades where to next?

• Like 2

I'm going to find umpire no 28 and slaughter his poodle in front of him and then make him eat it.

He sat there 20 m from the play and did nothing while they molested us.

Then he picks one up 60 m from the play.

I want him dead.

Maggot

[censored]

He kills us EVERY TIME.

• Like 1

Not angry about today at all. The run on we got after being 5 goals down to get in front was awesome. Previously we would have taken our ball and go e home to a 20 goal loss. The pressure that is applied to the ball carrier by thi Collingwood team is where the bar sits - when we equalled that pressure the play went with us. Oxley was great as the plus one. However its not the coach who kicks it directly to the plus one time and time again. The ball needs to move laterally and our inside 50 kickers need to adjust accordingly - they didn't. Making it 7 on 7 in our forward line just would have congested it further and left even more space for Cloke Elliot and Fasolo at the other. Our guys will learn - that was as close to finals type footy and atmosphere that we have seen for a long time and I loved it. We are a couple of players short of where we need to be to be fully competitive against the better sides - petracca may help that, Salem, Kent will. Anyone else that is a good footballer that we get at years end will also.

• Like 5