West Coast

Port Adelaide

Collingwood

St Kilda

Brisbane

West Bulldogs

Gold Coast

GWS Giants

How many of those teams consistently put in a worse effort than us?

Sick of the excuses when the facts don't back it up.

My view is its not about average age its about the quality of the mature players you have to lead the way.

• Like 4

My view is its not about average age its about the quality of the mature players you have to lead the way.

Yeah other than our new breed such as Viney and the newer ones, the inconsistency of our mature players is a farce. I am positive we will breed our way out of this but in the meantime we have to keep watching shyte from the usual suspects.

Not doom and gloom. Simply realism

And on top of that, another 10 goal loss coming up this week.

We are coming up against one of the best at putting pressure on inside their 50 so far this season and converting those opportunities.

We are one of the worst, if not the worst, at putting pressure on inside our own 50 and converting. We also force our turnovers of the ball in the deepest defensive section of the ground versus any other team and are the worst at moving the ball up the ground on the rebound. Good luck with trying to post a winning score with that kind of record so far this season.

10 goals might be a pretty decent result for us with the team that's likely to run out.

There's a few shining lights in this team though and if we can put a decent mid field together in the next 2 to 3 years we just MIGHT become competitive once more. And with T-Mac & Hulk dominating as book ends.... you just never know from there guys. We might taste success and ultimate glory. This could be our time...but we have to make it happen!!!

T-Mac and Hulk are THAT good (potentially)! We must pull out all stops and do justice to them. There's no time like the present and there's no time to waste. We have to go out.....do a repeat of North/Barrasi from the 70s IMO and purchase ourselves a gun mid field ASAP to support the likes of Jones/Tyson/Viney! It's time to trade our way out of the mire and do justice to these 2 "likely" bookend greats ("greats" IF we get it right and support them with a gun mid field that is).

I normally wouldn't post a video from an opposition club, but it's very inspirational and we need to seek inspiration from somewhere. Why not from one of our own Demon greats acheiving the ultimate.......

http://www.nmfc.com.au/video/2015-05-01/premiership-stars-on-barassi

Edited by Rusty Nails

Yeah other than our new breed such as Viney and the newer ones, the inconsistency of our mature players is a farce. I am positive we will breed our way out of this but in the meantime we have to keep watching shyte from the usual suspects.

I know naming and shaming shouldn't go on too much, but hey, this is an internet footy forum. I'd be interested to hear who people think are "the usual suspects". Because I've heard this line trotted out a bit recently, but no one has been specific.

You haven,t got the heart for football. Just like a player who drops his head when someone gets on top. Move on

Yep Harrison i am obviously following the right team

Really after 4 rounds we where is 2 and 2 the last three rounds we played the hardest three weeks any team is going to play no other side will even get Sydney freeo and hawthorn in a row, collingwood have not even played any of them, so atm i am not overly worried but if the dogs blow as of the park, then there is real doom and gloom.

• Like 1

I thought doom and gloom was am important part of being a Dees supporter?

Edited by DemonFrog
  • Like 1

"Breed" our way out of this?!!! Fascinating....

• Like 1

Ludicrous comments!

We were missing 7 first choice players through injury on the weekend:

Frost

Jetta

Hogan

Kent

Viney

Trengove

Petracca

Two others for other reasons:

Jamar

Watts

One of our first choice players injured themselves early on:

Salem

And one of the first players who would have come in to replace some of those injured, was also missing through injury:

Kennedy-Harris

Saturday was unacceptable, don't get me wrong, and yes Hawthorn were missing players also. However the A & B Grade players they had out were replaced by other B and C+ players. Given some of the B Grade players we had out were replaced by C-, D & E Grade players (and we had more out) then we feel their loss a lot more then Hawthorn felt the loss of their outs.

Our best 22 v their best 22. I tell you what I'd be more concerned about a 70 point loss to them then I was about our 105 point loss on Saturday. I expect a big improvement in our effort this weekend, however to disregard the circumstances of Saturday's loss is pure wrist slashing drivel.

Absolutely agree.

Given our 'outs' prior to the game, it was obvious that we were going to get belted by Hawthorn, particularly given their loss to GWS the week before.

That said, the effort from our VFL standard team was unacceptable.

We currently have too many key players out and not sufficient AFL standard depth to cover for them.

You guys are both missing the point. No one is saying our older players are great, what we are saying is it should be the older players that are leading the way with their spirit and effort, but it's not. It's constantly left to the younger players to show an AFL level effort and that is the problem. It doesn't take talent to give effort.

There in itself is your contradiction - You say in one breath that are older players aren't great and then in the next breath that are older players should be leading the way. That is exactly the point - the older players aren't leading the way because they are decidedly average and not great by any stretch of the imagination ! Why these older are not great is because they cannot be relied on to lead the way in spirit and effort - apologies to Daniel Cross and Nathan Jones.

• Like 2

There in itself is your contradiction - You say in one breath that are older players aren't great and then in the next breath that are older players should be leading the way. That is exactly the point - the older players aren't leading the way because they are decidedly average and not great by any stretch of the imagination ! Why these older are not great is because they cannot be relied on to lead the way in spirit and effort - apologies to Daniel Cross and Nathan Jones.

As I have said repeatedly, it doesn't take talent to do the footy basics.

The fact is that we can no longer use our age as an excuse, our age is not the problem, our culture STILL is.

As I have said repeatedly, it doesn't take talent to do the footy basics.

The fact is that we can no longer use our age as an excuse, our age is not the problem, our culture STILL is.

I am going to use (a greater percentage of ) the players as an excuse - they are just not good enough both in desire and talent.

I am going to use (a greater percentage of ) the players as an excuse - they are just not good enough both in desire and talent.

I actually think we're on very similar ground on this. We're both in agreeance on our senior players. I just don't think the age thing counts as an excuse, because factually we're not such a young list, I think it's the culture, which is mainly prevalent in those older players, that is the problem.

Edited by stuie
  • Like 1

When you have been going around in the wash as a supporter since the mid-60's like me the wounds get deeper and deeper by the year. I got my red and blue membership materials in the mail yesterday and must say that i am less inclined to wack stickers over my car, or wear a scarf on the train these days. The national competition does not include teams such as Melbourne, we too are mere passengers. Who does the AFL really comprise? from Vic: Hawthorn, Geelong, Collingwood, and MAYBE Essendon. It's a long way back for every other team. From Brisbane: a complete stuff-up, could see those two teams merging and calling them the Queensland jungle. from nsw: who cares about gws, they have more midfielders going through the midfield than supporters through the gate. from south australia and w.a, their four teams will stay strong as they are strong footballing states. am a supporter of the national concept, just hope melbourne can remain in some form or other in the long term.

When you have been going around in the wash as a supporter since the mid-60's like me the wounds get deeper and deeper by the year. I got my red and blue membership materials in the mail yesterday and must say that i am less inclined to wack stickers over my car, or wear a scarf on the train these days. The national competition does not include teams such as Melbourne, we too are mere passengers. Who does the AFL really comprise? from Vic: Hawthorn, Geelong, Collingwood, and MAYBE Essendon. It's a long way back for every other team. From Brisbane: a complete stuff-up, could see those two teams merging and calling them the Queensland jungle. from nsw: who cares about gws, they have more midfielders going through the midfield than supporters through the gate. from south australia and w.a, their four teams will stay strong as they are strong footballing states. am a supporter of the national concept, just hope melbourne can remain in some form or other in the long term.

My feelings are very similar bd.

I certainly do not go around advertising my support.

Embarrassment is seldom a good feeling.

I normally wouldn't post a video from an opposition club, but it's very inspirational and we need to seek inspiration from somewhere. Why not from one of our own Demon greats acheiving the ultimate.......

http://www.nmfc.com.au/video/2015-05-01/premiership-stars-on-barassi

Thats not such a bad reference Rusty.

Would do no harm for our coach and players to look at this together.

While times and the game have changed some things are continuous

Tenacity, Confidence, Dynamic, Powerful, Pressure, Commitment, Hard Work

Team wanted to win, Hearts and mind on the job

Pride for self coach crowd

Support teammates, happy worthy winners

The joy and good feelings will last for 50 years or immortality

Got to start somewhere.

My feelings are very similar bd.

I certainly do not go around advertising my support.

Embarrassment is seldom a good feeling.

I can handle embarrassment OD but what really hurts is the pity.

Although generally amongst my friends and colleagues who support other clubs everyone has been positive about the Dees all year, and understanding, so perhaps perspectives change depending on how close you are to the emotions of the clubs performances

Although generally amongst my friends and colleagues who support other clubs everyone has been positive about the Dees all year, and understanding, so perhaps perspectives change depending on how close you are to the emotions of the clubs performances

nothing hurts more when you tell a person you barrack for Melbourne and they look at you with a sad, sympathetic look and then nod slowly and say " ohhhh ...you barrack for Melbourne".

No one hates us - they just feel sorry for us.

I'm with you - embarrassment is easy compared with pity.

Sadly I think jackaub we have gone past pity to irrelevancy.

Most other club supporters I know don't even bother chiding me anymore.

They simply ignore me when the subject turns to AFL.

Sadly I think jackaub we have gone past pity to irrelevancy.

Most other club supporters I know don't even bother chiding me anymore.

They simply ignore me when the subject turns to AFL.

That is so Sad OD so you are not included in the discussions

As i said the people i know form other clubs seem more supportive this year than any of the last 5 for some reason