Sam Newman's comments on Mitch Clark

Moneider96

Ridiculous post. Mentioning him in the same breath as someone who faked cancer to strip thousands of dollars from people under the guise of a charity is not at all fair.

I said Mitch Clark and Belle Gibson would be a good fit, I stand by that 100%, I think they'd be a great fit.

It would be a match made in heaven.

What is this?

People are STILL banging on about this?

Someone thought it was a good idea to bump the thread just to make a point about how we shouldn't be talking about it? And did so by suggesting that Mitch Clark's depression and related decisions are analogous to a guy apparently freaking out on drugs and stabbing his father to death?

Yeah, I had complex and uncertain feelings about this whole situation as it happened, particularly being anxious that depression was coming across like it was an excuse. the whole thing was very badly communicated from Mitch's end (I'd query his manager's role in all of this).

But seriously, anyone still hung up about this, years later, after it all turned out ok for us... take a deep breath and get back to living.

there it is again.. the old 'telling us what we're allowed to talk about' cops

• Like 1

Depression? Chezus not many of us haven't had it!

What I reckon is, surround yourself with good people, including family and friends and in a sporting sense the camaraderie gained being in a professional well resourced club should make a huge difference!

Wow... just wow...

Reakon PF is onto something.
Far too many people are prescribed pills and diagnosed with depression just for dealing with lifes setbacks.
Ya girlfriend left you .... Sounds like depression.
Here, take some of these.
Yer injured and on a multi million dollar contract.
Yep , sounds like depression.

Edited by Fork 'em
  • Like 1

there it is again.. the old 'telling us what we're allowed to talk about' cops

I don't necessarily agree with what LG said, but I do not see how someone saying that a subject is exhausted is somehow telling us what we are allowed to talk about. It is his opinion that the topic is exhausted etc. You can agree or disagree and keep posting.

Even when people say 'close the thread' , it is often merely a strong way to expressing that they are sick of the subject. They'd probably be surprised if the mod ever did close the thread.

Far too many people are prescribed pills and diagnosed with depression just for dealing with lifes setbacks.

again..wow...

I agree to some extent. But Clark genuinely seems troubled.

He has an inherent need for attention, whether it's a cry for help or part of a bigger problem (personality disorder) - I could only speculate.

We can all just speculate because anyone in the public who questions Clarks diagnoses, the conversation will then turn on them, and their credentials to make such an assumption. So that ensures that no one can really question Clark. We just have to sit back and watch the show.

Edited by KingDingAling

Is there a point in being so snide? He was a player who gave us his all, one of the few when we we were down... He's career has most probably been ruined by injury which I imagine will affect him post football. Do I have to remind you that he got that injury and depression with the Demons? I'm sure that if he didn't get injured he'd be earning a lot more. It's not like he came to us and just sat on his ass doing nothing.

The way that Demon supporters acted towards him personally made me feel embarrassed to be grouped as a demons supporter.

I got clinical depression just supporting the demons and it cost me an annual membership for the privilege

• Like 2

I don't necessarily agree with what LG said, but I do not see how someone saying that a subject is exhausted is somehow telling us what we are allowed to talk about. It is his opinion that the topic is exhausted etc. You can agree or disagree and keep posting.

Even when people say 'close the thread' , it is often merely a strong way to expressing that they are sick of the subject. They'd probably be surprised if the mod ever did close the thread.

What is the point in posting in a thread to tell people you are sick of the discussion. Just stay out of the thread in the first place.

What is the point in posting in a thread to tell people you are sick of the discussion. Just stay out of the thread in the first place.

Because it is a way of commenting on the topic and making their view known to other readers of the thread. If they merely didn't post, no one would know they were sick of the discussion etc..

Of course, if someone continually posts that, you have to wonder. But if they just do so occasionally, and after many others have posted, it could just show they hand't closed their minds and had another look at the thread. But after seeing the newer posts, they still felt the same way and wanted to convey that. I see nothing wrong with people saying they are sick of a thread (or of this particular discussion!).

FMD. Nate Jones and the other players can get around him and not hold pathetic grudges. A lot of people here need to seriously grow up.

Why do you care what others think ?

I'm sick of those who are sick of the discussion.

The discussion should have been over long ago, but as we all know there are supporters here who can't let go of the past. I'll concentrate on the bloke we got in the deal who plays for us, you go right ahead and pontificate about a bloke who is no longer with us.

• Like 1

This.

I honestly think Mitch tried to be the 'feel good story' out of all this. He wanted to come back to footy and prove that you can open up about depression and play good football aswell. I think the sledging against Hawthorn and crowd constant booing him caught him off guard. Surely he must question whether he has made the right choice coming back?*

When your coming back into the high demanding pressure of AFL spotlight you gotta know what to expect in terms of media, supporters booing over the fence etc.. how he can say he is in the right mind set and be told to go to another environment where its just as intense as Geelong is seriously questionable from a medical point of view.

* do you mean the right choice in abandoning the club that supported (and paid) him so well during his illness and injuries???? Many I know following other clubs, Geelong included, felt he let down those who helped him. Still we got HL and Geelong got a NQR. Edited by monoccular

I said Mitch Clark and Belle Gibson would be a good fit, I stand by that 100%, I think they'd be a great fit.

It would be a match made in heaven.

Eff off. This sort of petulant attention seeking and downright dumb post is exactly the reason this thread should now be closed.

Don't know what his Demons are but having had a few huge ones myself would stand by my earlier comments re depression!

Still reckon he burnt a few clubs.... Maybe that is what is contributing to his woes??

On the flipside, even though no is no longer our player I hope he can find solace and peace!

At least he is financially much better of than most of us!

But as I said Mitch who? Move on!

Edited by picket fence