POST MATCH DISCUSSION - ROUND 1, 2015

Demonland

Howe and Garkand shown a side to their game I didnt k ow they had, or forgot they had. That Tyson goal that was set up by the Garland mark, turn and instant play on should be highlighted and re-run to the players as a timely reminder of what momentus footy is all about, and the advantages of catching your opponent off guard on the rebound

Yes it also highlighted the considerable football nous that JKH has. He is quite a talent for such a young man. He will be a beauty in 1 or 2 years time. Another recruiting steal at 40 i think it was.

• Like 3

That's the thing about those later draft picks, the focus is more on what they are as a player now as opposed to what they might be. Less pressure on nailing those pics. Also, of course it helps not having a brain dead [censored] heading up the recruiting department

Why did you leave and come back? I'm not complaining, It was just odd..

I couldn't resist the Essendon nonsense when it all came down. Read the other drugs thread - i have posted a number of times on there in the last week or so trying to calm the ASADA/WADA alarmists. You might be stuck with me a little while longer yet!

• Like 2

Don't want to be a negative Nancy but we did let the Suns kick 89 points. That is way too much for a team we dominated.

Yeah they have talent and yeah it was the first game and yeah it was exciting kicking all those goals after a goal drought for the last 5 yrs but I would like to see us tighten up a lot on the defensive side if we are going to get a lot better.....

Just sayin....

Last year Hawthorn's average score against was 79. They conceded scores of 91, 86, 106, 107, 100, 87, 90, 86, 108, 92, 94, 110 and 94, amongst others.

They won more than they lost of those games.

You can afford to concede 89 points to an opponent if you score 115 yourself.

I agree. We were actually lucky to win.

Some crucial luck went our way in the 2nd half and we made them pay.

Jack Watts Boundry Goal after a Sun boot kicked the ball OOTF.

Ablett spilling Gimme goal and we cleared the ball

A 2 point ball game we probably would have lost.

Heritier Lamumba kicking a goal after Toumpas completely choked and shat himself.

We won't get 2nd chances like that again

In saying all that. We did deserve to win.

All of our debutantes took the game on. Not one flinch

So which one was it?

We weren't 'lucky to win'. We absolutely deserved it, we were undeniably the better side over the course of the game. Yes, there were patches where they came at us, but that's how momentum works. Hell, even North yesterday kicked 7 in a row or something (in a 77 point loss).

• Like 4

Yeah the Sydney games stands out. I am still wondering whether this was better or maybe I'm still on a high from yesterday. The Sydney game we got on a massive attacking role and we're not challenged. Yesterday was against a good team that challenged us several times. For some reason it feels like we have more substance and we might actually build something. As opposed to 2010.

Agree the list turnover is crazy!

The win up in Adelaide last year was pretty spesh too

For this year at least, us supporters are going to have to wear the fact that not all 22 players picked are going to be good players or better than average players. For the most part, we might have 2 to 4 players in the side who possibly aren't ideal selections. We just don't possess a good enough list yet That's why I haven't been as hard on Toumpas as a few others here - the alternatives (apart from Vince & Dawes) are no great shakes (or they are 1st year draftees)

I would say we had 21 good contributors on Saturday, without Vince and Dawes. We would need a few injuries to really feel the brunt of our questionable depth

This is probably the product of being a Melbourne fan but I still don't look at next week as a win, I see it as winnable but we must back up our very pleasing performance from this week. When was the last time we did that?

Rd 13/14, 2011 was our last back-to-back wins.. some 70 matches ago

I would say we had 21 good contributors on Saturday, without Vince and Dawes. We would need a few injuries to really feel the brunt of our questionable depth

Well C&B, as you're no doubt aware, it's rare for a club to use less than 30 players in a season and that number can often get to 33/34 (especially for the less successful sides)

I'm not wanting injuries or poor form to happen but both those factors will almost certainly happen. I'm not trying to be obviously negative either - unless I'm mistaken, at some stage during the season we're possibly going to have 3 or 4 players in the selected team who we ordinarily may not want in the side.

What I'm hoping for is for 3-4 of our depth players to improve their footy quite markedly. That can happen too - especially if they need to do that to prolong their respective career's.

Dunn, Jetta, Jamar & Howe have all improved quite a lot under Roos and it looks like Watts, Viney, Kent, Garland & McDonald are following suit this season (although it is a bit early to tell just yet)

• Like 1

We weren't 'lucky to win'. We absolutely deserved it, we were undeniably the better side over the course of the game. Yes, there were patches where they came at us, but that's how momentum works. Hell, even North yesterday kicked 7 in a row or something (in a 77 point loss).

Oh yes we were lucky to win

Ablett takes that handball in the goal square. Game changes completely.

Momemtum is modern football

He didn't take the pass & we made them pay

We won and deserved it

But luck did play a big part.

• Like 1

Come on please we got the result . If your auntie had you know whats, she'd be you know who, Garlett kicked 2.4 etc etc.

• Like 1

We won and deserved it

How does a players inability to trap the ball become luck ?

We won and deserved it

That was a skill mistake by Ablett, just like Toumpas couldn't get that handball through at the other end.

We won and deserved it

So we were a deserved lucky winner.

Probably the first time those two words have been applied together to describe a win.

Luck had little to do with it.

The best side on the day won and deservedly so.

Amazed we can't enjoy what was a strong victory for what it was.

• Like 1

how often does ablett Jnr make such a blunder?

When Viney has been dropping him on his sore shoulder continuously for the past 3 and a half quarters.

That wasn't luck, he had been professionally worked over and couldn't move his arm properly, hence the blunder

Edited by fndee
  • Like 4

When Viney has been dropping him on his sore shoulder continuously for the past 3 and a half quarters.

That wasn't luck, he had been professionally worked over and couldn't move his arm properly, hence the blunder

Which is wxactly why i wanted him to play!!

Can't believe you were at the game. Jamar was awesome and killed Zac Smith.

Was ordinary in the first quarter, but killed Smith for the rest of the day.

I don't think we were lucky to win at all! We curtailed their momentum in the 2nd, 3rd and 4th qtrs. That wasn't luck, that was good on field leadership!!

In an interview yesterday Jones talked about picking up the momentum swings during a game without the coaches telling them and taking action straight away on the field. That's leadership. Jones gets it!

Before long Jones will be a Hodge type on-field general.

• Like 1