THE DRUG SCANDAL: AFL TRIBUNAL DECIDES

Whispering_Jack

thats not right. Danks name had popped up in connection to a number of clubs....even ours

As I read it it was more about the involvement of Charters and the links to other nefarious groups. It was here that essendon got mentioned in the despatches ( as it were)

The ACC ( imho ) was a little careless in its dealings with the league. They had Essendon in their sights and let Vlad in on this.

This was the moment that triggered Vlad giving the heads up to essendon. Again...essendon and no other club were rang that evening . Vlad knew full well what was now going on. He could foresee the fall out. I cant believe for a second that his sole thinking was that essendon might do the right thing here, unless of course doing the right thing was getting rid of the evidence !!

Melbourne's limited involvement with Dank (thanks Dr Bates) only came to light from an ABC 7.30 report on 17 April 2013. It would later be established that there was little substance (excuse the pun) in the minor engagement between Bates and Dank. And certainly nowhere near the level of Essendon and Manly.

The ACC report was indeed more focused in the broader infiltration of drugs in sport and focused on some common names like dank. Dank brought the link to Essendon and Manly.

The leak from the ACC (official or unofficial) to Vlad was disingenuous as was Vlad to Essendon. But tying him to the destruction of records and full knowledge of the disaster unfolding at Essendon is a long and unsubstantiated bow.

The leak from the ACC (official or unofficial) to Vlad was disingenuous as was Vlad to Essendon. But tying him to the destruction of records and full knowledge of the disaster unfolding at Essendon is a long and unsubstantiated bow.

What might you suspect he thought would happen ? thats what is disingenuous.

why should he ring then AT ALL ??

he told them the "the 'cops' were after them. What is any felon likely to do ?

• Like 1

What might you suspect he thought would happen ? thats what is disingenuous.

why should he ring then AT ALL ??

he told them the "the 'cops' were after them. What is any felon likely to do ?

He told them to self report to mitigate the unknown fallout from this unprecedented event. I can see how he might have thought at the time that he was acting in the best interest of the AFL to self report but hindsight has shown such action to have been inappropriate.

Hardly a felon. But I understand your disappointment at the outcome of the saga.

• Like 1

He told them to self report to mitigate the unknown fallout from this unprecedented event. I can see how he might have thought at the time that he was acting in the best interest of the AFL to self report but hindsight has shown such action to have been inappropriate.

Hardly a felon. But I understand your disappointment at the outcome of the saga.

hardly disappointed. Its not over yet

The minute he did that a plan "D" went into action ...Deny , Destroy, Deliberate, Delay, Deceive, Dissimulate, Defer, Distract and Distort

what Demetriou did was Dumb and frankly Dishonest

You left out disintegrate ... :blink:

• Like 1

I disagree... reading that, it certainly appears that the AFL tribunal are being deliberately obstructive.

• Like 6

I disagree... reading that, it certainly appears that the AFL tribunal are being deliberately obstructive.

You would think so. The case proper wound up back in January, and closing submissions were 2 months ago now. The tribunal must understand full well the situation with the 21-day deadline on the appeal, and the urgency to have the Dank case settled.

Not leaving a great taste in the mouth.

• Like 4

This tribunal. ...its all above board. So we're lead to believe. No contrivances here.

You wouldn't think it could take quite so long for 3 wise and experienced folk to arrive at a decision.

The delay is surely only coincidental :rolleyes:

The sooner all of this is taken out of the AFLs grubby hands the better.

The whole methodology of the League is to bend and shape things to suit. This is no different.

Crooked is as crooked does.

Roll on WADA

Edited by beelzebub
  • Like 2

This would not be the end of the AFL's ability to control this outcome even if ASADA have been told to drop dead and "your not getting anything substantial off us".

I am afraid that if WADA enter the fray fully that will trigger some changing of The Rules perhaps at a higher "we don't want or need you" level.

Watch space.

This would not be the end of the AFL's ability to control this outcome even if ASADA have been told to drop dead and "your not getting anything substantial off us".

I am afraid that if WADA enter the fray fully that will trigger some changing of The Rules perhaps at a higher "we don't want or need you" level.

Watch space.

The AFL have only just signed the 2015 WADA Code amendments. They are bound by any decisions above them. This for mine is if there's a humourous aspect, its this; that somehow they can sign and smile and give lip service to the world yet carry on regardless and untouchable. They're about to get seriously touched up!!

• Like 1

Once Vlad gave Essendon a heads up it gave them time to formulate a path forward. The EFC knew it would seem better to look like they were coming clean but all the whiles they were making sure nothing incriminating was going to appear ( well, from them )

All the whiles whilst seeming to co-operate in the front office they were cleaning up the backrooms. Wouldnt have happen if ASADA had gotten to cold call them

Surely ASADA has all the phone records and can oiece together the timeline??

Surely ASADA has all the phone records and can oiece together the timeline??

maybe things mightnt have got trashed quite so easily :rolleyes:

I still find it incredible that the AFL and its tribunal can truly believe that there were no records. football clubs monitor everything heart rates, recovery times, players work rates, distances travelled, etc why would they not be keeping these records to prove if their program was or was not working. and if they cannot produce these records it is because the essendon football club chooses not to produce them or they have destroyed them...

Thats exactly why AD gave them prior notice so that the EFC could start up the shredder.

It's just a sick joke.

This tribunal. ...its all above board. So we're lead to believe. No contrivances here.

You wouldn't think it could take quite so long for 3 wise and experienced folk to arrive at a decision.

The delay is surely only coincidental :rolleyes:

The sooner all of this is taken out of the AFLs grubby hands the better.

The whole methodology of the League is to bend and shape things to suit. This is no different.

Crooked is as crooked does.

Roll on WADA

The way I see it, WADA is simply waiting to get involved, and if that happens, then withholding a judgement on Dank is not going to help the AFL at all. Karma can be a terrible thing and I get the feeling that the AFL and more particularly Essendon, are going to experience a veritable tsunami of karma.

Edited by hardtack

Agree with the first sentence to the point it will finish off any remaining senior staff (Hird and Reid), remaining Board directors and shame those directly and indirectly involved at the Club.

Disagree with the 2nd sentence. If the records did exist (evidence?) then they could have been destroyed before Vlad's advice to self report or indeed any time after. And if they did exist they may still well be in existence in a very hidden place. Your angst is only one of numerous plausible outcomes that we have. And its certainly not the only one.

Your third sentence is merely your view based on your flawed logic. The lack of record evidence has prevented Essendon being convicted upon the evidence.

The lack of (available) records on drug administration is what should have been the most damning evidence of lack of care and governance.

By the way, has ASADA's appeal time lapsed yet? If so does WADA still have a week or so to act, should they chooses to do so?

The lack of (available) records on drug administration is what should have been the most damning evidence of lack of care and governance.

By the way, has ASADA's appeal time lapsed yet? If so does WADA still have a week or so to act, should they chooses to do so?

Tuesday is ASADA's deadline I think, which is why McDevitt is so [censored] that the AFL tribunal haven't handed down a decision on Dank. That decision will have an effect on ASADA's call on appealing or not.

After Tuesday, WADA has 21 days to appeal.

• Like 1

The way I see it, WADA is simply waiting to get involved, and if that happens, then withholding a judgement on Dank is not going to help the AFL at all. Karma can be a terrible thing and I get the feeling that the AFL and more particularly Essendon, are going to experience a veritable tsunami of karma.

orqqyu.jpg

• Like 2