Casey Scorpions v Williamstown @ Casey Fields

KC from Casey

Back home after. Casey. I went to the game to immunise myself against being disappointed for the season ahead. The game did not let me down and I now know what to expect for the season. Unfortunately I expect more of the same as last year as even against a stand alone team the AFL listed players missed marks and handballs. Below is my report for what it is worth:

Q1. The Scorpions were the better team by hand and foot but could not put the difference on the scoreboard ( sounds familiar doesn't it). All the MFC plays played well that quarter with Brayshaw the standout.

Q2. Pretty even contest. I thought Vince and JKH shone through. Vandenberg was tenacious and showed something.

Q3. Williamstown clearly got on top and if not for inaccurate kicking would have been significantly in front. Brayshaw again the standout Demon.

Q4. All Williamstown after the first 5 mins, Enough said.

Williamstown deserved the victory and I would be really disappointed if I was Casey. The coach held them on the ground after the game and I suspect told them that performance was not good enough.

With respect to the players:

Brayshaw. Very happy with his game. Was not expecting too much before the game and he showed fierceness and is ready. Towards the end of the game he tired and made traditional Melbourne mistakes such as missing handball targets. He reminded me of Nathan Jones when he first came to the club and without putting too much pressure on the kid, we know what we get from Jones.

King. Too skinny and raw. I think he needs time in the Development comp. kicked a nice goal in the last quarter but does nothing around the ground.

Michie: serviceable but not brilliant. Goes in hard but lacks speed. Was vocal which was good to hear and disposals were not bad. Just drops out of the game too much for me.

Kent: offensively good but defensively rubbish. Made silly mistakes and I would keep him at Casey for at least another week. Is competing with JKH for a spot I think and on today's performance JKH is ahead.

JKH: quite good today. His attack on football was good and on the man. Like others he drifts in and out of game too much.

Vince: disinterested in 1st quarters but lifted. Worked hard and put run in the legs. Did not have a huge influence on the game but provided he pulls up ok, is likely to play next week. He tried to lift the team in the last quarter but as I said did not exert influence on the ball.

Riley: goes in hard. Disposal lets him down. Of all the listed players he seemed to be off the ground the most or perhaps I just missed him.

Vandenberg: does not shirk any contest and liked his performance today without getting too excited. I think he demonstrates a toughness not many at Melbourne have and I hope he is upgraded soon. Upon reflection he won't play next week as I think Brayshaw deserves the spot ahead of him. If Howe is the sub no Vandenberg. If no Howe he will be the sub

Fitzpatrick: perhaps I am blinded by my like of him but he showed something in defence. When he moved to forward line the defence struggled. He just needs to hold important marks. His defensive punches were good. I am scared he will be run off too often though so that is a big question for me. Needs half a season in Casey in a defensive position if that is the plan for him.

I hope I did not miss anyone. Enjoyed my trip to Casey and hearing coaches and having a kick on the oval. My son was annoyed I spent much of my time on the phone rather than talking to him so I will leave the reports and scores to. KC in future.

Cheers.

Ps. Special mention to Tim Smith at Casey. I like how he plays and showed more than some of the MFC players.

Thanks for the report. Must have been frustrating. Fitness?

Back home after. Casey. I went to the game to immunise myself against being disappointed for the season ahead. The game did not let me down and I now know what to expect for the season. Unfortunately I expect more of the same as last year as even against a stand alone team the AFL listed players missed marks and handballs. Below is my report for what it is worth:

Q1. The Scorpions were the better team by hand and foot but could not put the difference on the scoreboard ( sounds familiar doesn't it). All the MFC plays played well that quarter with Brayshaw the standout.

Q2. Pretty even contest. I thought Vince and JKH shone through. Vandenberg was tenacious and showed something.

Q3. Williamstown clearly got on top and if not for inaccurate kicking would have been significantly in front. Brayshaw again the standout Demon.

Q4. All Williamstown after the first 5 mins, Enough said.

Williamstown deserved the victory and I would be really disappointed if I was Casey. The coach held them on the ground after the game and I suspect told them that performance was not good enough.

With respect to the players:

Brayshaw. Very happy with his game. Was not expecting too much before the game and he showed fierceness and is ready. Towards the end of the game he tired and made traditional Melbourne mistakes such as missing handball targets. He reminded me of Nathan Jones when he first came to the club and without putting too much pressure on the kid, we know what we get from Jones.

King. Too skinny and raw. I think he needs time in the Development comp. kicked a nice goal in the last quarter but does nothing around the ground.

Michie: serviceable but not brilliant. Goes in hard but lacks speed. Was vocal which was good to hear and disposals were not bad. Just drops out of the game too much for me.

Kent: offensively good but defensively rubbish. Made silly mistakes and I would keep him at Casey for at least another week. Is competing with JKH for a spot I think and on today's performance JKH is ahead.

JKH: quite good today. His attack on football was good and on the man. Like others he drifts in and out of game too much.

Vince: disinterested in 1st quarters but lifted. Worked hard and put run in the legs. Did not have a huge influence on the game but provided he pulls up ok, is likely to play next week. He tried to lift the team in the last quarter but as I said did not exert influence on the ball.

Riley: goes in hard. Disposal lets him down. Of all the listed players he seemed to be off the ground the most or perhaps I just missed him.

Vandenberg: does not shirk any contest and liked his performance today without getting too excited. I think he demonstrates a toughness not many at Melbourne have and I hope he is upgraded soon. Upon reflection he won't play next week as I think Brayshaw deserves the spot ahead of him. If Howe is the sub no Vandenberg. If no Howe he will be the sub

Fitzpatrick: perhaps I am blinded by my like of him but he showed something in defence. When he moved to forward line the defence struggled. He just needs to hold important marks. His defensive punches were good. I am scared he will be run off too often though so that is a big question for me. Needs half a season in Casey in a defensive position if that is the plan for him.

I hope I did not miss anyone. Enjoyed my trip to Casey and hearing coaches and having a kick on the oval. My son was annoyed I spent much of my time on the phone rather than talking to him so I will leave the reports and scores to. KC in future.

Cheers.

Ps. Special mention to Tim Smith at Casey. I like how he plays and showed more than some of the MFC players.

.... thaks for the report, & the comments thru the game 'Many'.

I think I see footy simialar to you. also like fitzy but he has to mature. & like Tim the tank Smith as well, but maybe hes slow for afl? having not been drafted.

Edited by dee-luded

For a proven player like Vince, I can accept your comment. The rest of our AFL listed players should have been busting a gut to win a place in the senior side. After the past 8 years, I don't buy this "practise match in March" bullsh#t.

Take out of them what you will.....Clubs and players use them for what they are...Practise matches....as long as Casey and the MFC get out of them what they want, is all that matters.....Every player cannot be BOG....I don't get why people get so excited about them.....We beat Coll a few years ago, when Neeld took over.... didn't get us far...
  • Like 1

Have I missed something here? He was in the seniors last time I checked, and was one of our best at that. I'll be disappointed if he doesn't play against the Suns. Likewise Brayshaw. I understand the notion of 'holding him back', but we need our best team on the park against the Gold Coast. It sounds like Gus is way too good for this level and has been in the best every game he's played. He should be in the mix.

Thanks for the report though DeeVoted (and everyone else), much appreciated!

vandenBerg has a superb build for a mid. he's tough and moves well. But on today's game I just thought he needs a few more games at Casey.

I think he can cement a spot in the seniors,in time. But lets see some of these players string a few good games together and make them earn a callup.

I might be calling this a bit early, but I rate him up there with Kent. As they both have a bit a flair and mongrel in them.

On the other side of the coin, without mentioning names, it becomes a case of we get desperate.

The word I got today was they held him back to see how(e) he pulled up after training. (playing it safe)

As for round one, your guess is as good as anyones.

I don't know How(e) you're so good at puns DeeVoted ;)

My take. was watching on far side most the game, listening to McCartney coach from the hill

Michie - was best Melbourne listed player today, you have to watch him specifically to notice him, think that's his problem, no fuss

Brayshaw - can see the hype, some of his play was a notch above, still a lot of silly mistakes, still needs a couple more at Casey, nearly killed himself in one contest

Riley - first game, in and under, his disposal has improved

Kent - couldn't get involved, explosive offensively when he did, poor defensively

King - a work in progress, showed glimpses

Vandenberg - what you see is what you get a big bodied forward/midfielder who has potential

JKH - some really good stuff, some ordinary when he tried too much

Fitzpatrick - was doing really well down back, not sure why he was moved forward

Vince - knocked the rust off, tried not to get hurt, got better as the game went on

• Like 3

vandenBerg has a superb build for a mid. he's tough and moves well. But on today's game I just thought he needs a few more games at Casey.

I think he can cement a spot in the seniors,in time. But lets see some of these players string a few good games together and make them earn a callup.

I might be calling this a bit early, but I rate him up there with Kent. As they both have a bit a flair and mongrel in them.

On the other side of the coin, without mentioning names, it becomes a case of we get desperate.

From what I've seen to date on the NAB games I would rate him ahead of Kent.

• Like 2

SCORPIONS v SEAGULLS by KC from Casey

After a bright start in their third practice match for the season, Casey Scorpions fell away badly in the face of a withering six-goal final quarter by stand alone Williamstown to lose by 25 points at Casey Fields.

Conditions were perfect for football. The skies were cloudy but it was a windless day (an unusual feature out at Casey) but both clubs struggled to hit the scoreboard. It was the visitors who drew first blood but the Scorpions with 19-year-old Melbourne recruit Angus Brayshaw a standout in the midfield, were playing the better football and took the initiative to lead by seven points at the first break. Their first goal came from the youngster's boot after a great smother and the second from centre half forward Tim Smith.

Casey continued to dominate, scoring the opening goal of the second term before giving one away courtesy of a 50 metre penalty. Jay Kennedy-Harris was playing well on a wing and when he snapped truly the home side looked well in control. Skipper Evan Panozza was strong in defence and he had a handy ally back there in Jake Fitzpatrick. Bernie Vince was solid in his comeback game after shoulder and hamstring problems and Aidan Riley, another player in comeback mode, was playing strongly. Melbourne's Canberra recruit Aaron vandenBerg is a big unit and was showing out with some good team play.

A change came over the game late in the quarter with the Seagulls peppering the goals but only scoring points until a breakthrough saw them head into the rooms at half time only two points in arrears.

The Scorpions went into the game without a much ruck strength and were undone in this area after half time. Their opponents got on top through more direct play, better run and carry and good delivery to their tall players who held front position to good effect. However, just as the Seagulls threatened to take the game apart, some individual brilliance from Brayshaw and Kennedy-Harris saw the Scorps retake the lead by a solitary point at the final break.

It was all Casey when the final quarter started with a Smith goal and a miss to Dean Kent who had been lively up to that point. At the five minute mark of the term, a Williamstown goal heralded the game's final turn - it was the first of four consecutive Seagull majors and suddenly, the game was all over as a contest. Fitzpatrick, who had started the term in the forward line was despatched back but it was too late.

Brayshaw continued to show his class all day whether in midfield or up forward and gathered 26 disposals for the day. Fellow midfielder Viv Michie started slowly but finished with 21 possessions and six tackles in a solid display.

It was also a good hit out for the many inexperienced newcomers at Casey this year with Berwick recruit Jake Gains and up and comer Bryce Rutherford showing out. Assistant coach Shannon Byrnes is yet to play a practice match and another experienced VFL small man Will Petropoulos was listed in the development league team.

The Casey Scorpions play Collingwood VFL next Saturday at Olympic Park at 10:30am leaving enough time for Demon fans to cross the bridge to watch the AFL season opener against the Gold Coast Suns.

Casey Scorpions 2.4.16 4.4.28 6.7.43 8.8.56

Williamstown 1.3.9 3.8.26 5.12.42 11.15.81

Goals Brayshaw Kennedy-Harris Smith 2 Gawley King

Best Brayshaw Kennedy-Harris Michie Kent Gains Rutherford

The Development League team had a solid win over Williamstown, 12.4.76 to 5.10.40.

• Like 1

We were told when the Melbourne team was selected for the last NAB Challenge match that we had a "settled side" but the reality now is substantially different.

This is attributable to the poor form of a number of what I would call "fringe" players in the Essendon game, the fact that we have to leave Chris Dawes out of the line up due to suspension, the form of Brayshaw and the potential return from injury of Howe, Vince, JKH and Dean Kent who all missed that game. Also, do you include Cam Pedersen to cover for Dawes and possibly pinch hit in the ruck? Do we play both Jamar and Gawn in the same team? Perhaps you play Max as a forward?

By any measure, I wouldn't say we have a settled side and IMO the selectors will have a big job ahead of them when they sit down to pick the team for round 1.

• Like 4

We were told when the Melbourne team was selected for the last NAB Challenge match that we had a "settled side" but the reality now is substantially different.

This is attributable to the poor form of a number of what I would call "fringe" players in the Essendon game, the fact that we have to leave Chris Dawes out of the line up due to suspension, the form of Brayshaw and the potential return from injury of Howe, Vince, JKH and Dean Kent who all missed that game. Also, do you include Cam Pedersen to cover for Dawes and possibly pinch hit in the ruck? Do we play both Jamar and Gawn in the same team? Perhaps you play Max as a forward?

By any measure, I wouldn't say we have a settled side and IMO the selectors will have a big job ahead of them when they sit down to pick the team for round 1.

Cant wait for Thursday night selection

I saw him against Ess I like him, he needs to build up his endurance. I rate him higher than a lot of our recent additions such as Riley ( I still shudder when I remember a kick across the centre to transfer play that went to a contest and a subsequent goal), Michie..... and older ones like Terlich, Bail and M Jones.

Be interesting the selection of the first side. For the first time in a while we have significant in house pressure being applied to the midfield . Vince, Brayshaw , Michie, JKH and the Van will be pushing for a spot. . On the other hand Roos as a good and calm coach tends to stand by his men and give them every chance to perform. I suspect the position would be pretty much as Roos would like it. He's already had the practice matches to partly assess. Rohan Bail and Matty Jones might get a couple more chances but would need to contribute on the scoreboard or come under pressure from those who can.

It was not windless, there was a moderate SSW wind blowing all day; those ensconced in the comfort of the grandstand would not be aware of this.

I spent the entire day on the outer wing near Goodwin and McCartney, Saty came by on his scooter every now and then.

Brayshaw will be a beauty. I wouldn't rush him but it is up to the match committee. Saty has described the bit where McCartney coached him over the fence - Brayshaw had just done very well against the odds and got the ball out of play, directly in front of the two coaches. He was just having what most would consider a well deserved breather when McCartney yelled at him to get to go again and get to his assigned spot for the throw in that was about to take place.

Casey held sway for most of the first three quarters, mainly due to poor kicking for goal by Willy. Having said that, Casey's kicking for goal was nothing special, either. In the last quarter, Willy got right on top. This coincided with the majority of the Melbourne players showing that they were seriously short of a gallop. The move of Fitzy into the ruck to the detriment of the defence did not help.

Of the Melbourne contingent, most showed that they lacked match practice. Kent was particularly rusty, he was responsible for a couple of missed goals that he would normally slot. vandenBerg looked ok, JKH also. Michie does a lot but does not seem to overly influence the game.

This was the first time I had seen Max King in the flesh. He is an interesting player.

• Like 5

It really is a concern when these professionals are "short of a gallop"

That there is now a growing list of 3/4 games would seem to indicate that they need to train for 5/4.

The premiership quarter was always seen as the 3rd but games are now played to the end and even a large difference can be quickly erased. Our boys need to train harder longer. to play 4/4 every game.

I was also at Casey and angree with player assesments, What is worrying is our lack of key position back ups. We have had a much needed push to improve our mid field but nothing has happened to develop key positions. Casey controlled the mid field for most of the day but did not have a target. The willy talls took over in the end.

It really is a concern when these professionals are "short of a gallop"

That there is now a growing list of 3/4 games would seem to indicate that they need to train for 5/4.

The premiership quarter was always seen as the 3rd but games are now played to the end and even a large difference can be quickly erased. Our boys need to train harder longer. to play 4/4 every game.

yes i find this hard to understand

willy boys would have had 10% of the conditioning as our melbourne boys in the pre-season

they should have finished all over them as far as fitness goes

It wasn't so much as fitness, more the lack of match practice that showed.

Did we improve last season with additional match practice?

With the lesser pressure of playing against a VFL side, the AFL listed players, with their advanced training and coaching, should dominate their direct opponents. Our players have been rusty in the preseason for the past 8 years, and it continues onto the season proper.

People seem to think that we'll flick on a magical switch when the season starts. History tells otherwise.

If we keep the same side for Rd 1 which played Essendon we have ROCKS in our head.

The line up has to change.