Melbourne v Fremantle @ Fremantle Oval - 5th March, 2015

I agree. Maybe [Pedersen] gets a gig, but Jamar and Gawn look below the level. I think Spencer would be a better option.

You haven't seen much of Spencer then. Jamar did fine in the ruck against 2 experienced AFL rucks. Gawn needs some practice rucking, but did ok forward. He was rat [censored] by foot tonight but sometimes that happens when you're 208cm and tired. Spencer wouldn't even take the marks Gawn did and would probably clean miss the ball.

If all were available and now seeing where we are at our best side in my opinion.

Jetta, Frost, Dunn

Lumumba, T-Mac, Howe

Vince, Tyson, Newton

Watts, Dawes, Vandenberg

Garlett, Hogan, Kent

Jamar, Jones, Viney

[Pedersen], Cross, Salem,

Sub: Toumpas

Em: Bail, Gawn, JKH

Seriously? After a single NAB Challenge game you are able to glean just exactly where we are at?

Garland was our best player in 2013 though. But there's something not right about him. I don't like him on talls and I don't like his lack of energy. He didn't have that in 2013.

Grimes has had a progressive decline. I fear his body isn't suited to AFL and he carries no weight on him at all and plays without any power. I think he's simply been worn out as an AFL player. Step 1 in fixing him if I were in charge was to give him another 8 weeks off now working on his body and kicking. He's simply not going to find form without changing something. Beef him up and build his confidence in the VFL. Try him in the AFL midseason.

Grimes went into the midfield a couple of seasons ago, perhaps he would be better around the contest. Let's wait and see what Paul does with him.

After my 2nd quarter wrist slashing episode I settled down, like the team did, and liked a lot more of what I saw in the second half. Vandenberg is gonna be a certain starter I reckon, tough, big, clean and can hit a target. Newton was good also prior to that head knock. Frost is the WOW of the night for me, a 6 foot 5 robot that has serious burners, how is his speed? Loved it. Lumumba gives us heaps. Compose, good user hits passes and thinks his way through a situation.

Grimes is close to finished for me. Will play at Casey a lot this year IMO. Horrible user. Matt Jones has NFI. His ball use is always bad, that push in the back free he gave away was so so dumb! JKH on today's form is a long way off. I don't think anything he did was effective. He offers no tackling pressure inside fifty, constantly throws an arm out. Gawn needs to learn his limitations. If you can't kick generally, don't try a cute short pass or know when it doesn't work once don't try it again derrrr.

Overall, like the attack, liked the attack. We have some size about us and some options. Shame we didnt convert those last quarter goals as we probably outplayed freo. That 2nd quarter was as bad as any last year. We gotta stop the lapses

• Like 2

He didn't say "where we're at" isn't subject to change, I guess.

Fair enough I guess, but I don't think I would be throwing JKH and Gawn out just yet... and I wouldn't be writing of Matt Jones just yet either.

• Like 1

That second quarter was bad, so many dropped sitters which just kept us under the pump. The rest was ok. I won't be pumping anyone up or writing anyone off on the basis off that game. Except for Dom Tyson, he looks ready to step it up another level this year.

After my 2nd quarter wrist slashing episode I settled down, like the team did, and liked a lot more of what I saw in the second half. Vandenberg is gonna be a certain starter I reckon, tough, big, clean and can hit a target. Newton was good also prior to that head knock. Frost is the WOW of the night for me, a 6 foot 5 robot that has serious burners, how is his speed? Loved it. Lumumba gives us heaps. Compose, good user hits passes and thinks his way through a situation.

Grimes is close to finished for me. Will play at Casey a lot this year IMO. Horrible user. Matt Jones has NFI. His ball use is always bad, that push in the back free he gave away was so so dumb! JKH on today's form is a long way off. I don't think anything he did was effective. He offers no tackling pressure inside fifty, constantly throws an arm out. Gawn needs to learn his limitations. If you can't kick generally, don't try a cute short pass or know when it doesn't work once don't try it again derrrr.

Overall, like the attack, liked the attack. We have some size about us and some options. Shame we didnt convert those last quarter goals as we probably outplayed freo. That 2nd quarter was as bad as any last year. We gotta stop the lapses

JKH is like that, some games he is cold and other games he is everywhere, like Adelaide last year 25 disposals, 1 goal, 5 marks.

You didn't mention Hogan?

• Like 1

Fair enough I guess, but I don't think I would be throwing JKH and Gawn out just yet... and I wouldn't be writing of Matt Jones just yet either.

On tonight's show, I would. No line drawn in a players name is ever permanent - not for me anyway - but they are down the queue at present for mine. Can't say I won't have completely changed my mind in a week's time after the next game, but that's what I think right now.

• Like 1

Great to see how we go against an actual side and a good one at that. Following comments off TV so apologies as it makes it hard to rate some players who stuff off the ball like Bail.

Pleasingly

Tyson won plenty of clearances and looks like he may be even better this season.

N.Jones as usual showed great disposal and got plenty of touches. Teams up so well with Dom.

Harry O was IMO clearly our best player with his dash and intercept

Newton had a super first quarter and only had a couple of errors until he copped a knock to eye and came off late in second. Subbed by Vandenberg.

Tom Mc was right about Frosty being an incredible athlete. Don't know why Frost wasn't playing down back in first half, but it proved costly because Dunn and Garland were touched up by Pav and Taverner.

As soon as Frosty went back, we looked so much more assured down back - hence the third quarter comeback with the wind.

Salem looked handy and was moved on to Mundy in third and won a bit of ball which was great to see. He'll be a genuine first 22 player this year.

Hoges worked hard and while not dominant, was dangerous and you can tell he can play.

Vandenberg only played half but showed he might be able to play the mid-size forward role that Petracca would have played.

Garlett was quiet in first half but picked up as game went on and you can tell he's going to be dangerous.

As so often happens pre-season - all our recruits were fantastic. I'm sure young Stretch would have played well too if he had been given a go.

We also had plenty of forward forays and I reckon even with our ruckmen getting beaten, we may have won the clearance count thanks to Dom and Jonesy.

We also finally have pace out of defence with Harry huge across half back and Jetta good until subbed at half time.

Tom Mc was criticised here and yes he does look a bit slow to get rid of it at times, but he still does get rid of it and he should form a very good running defence with Dunn, Frost, Salem, Harry O, Howe and Jetta.

Worringly

I am a Jack Grimes fan, but a couple of his howlers would worry even him.

Col Garland came to the club as a forward, he might actually be one. Please give him a go up forward in Rd 1.

Jordie still gets pinged lying on top of the ball.

Pedo was quiet and dropped an absolute sitter and may have played himself out of the Rd 1 side.

Matt Jones turns it over ... and over. Billy the kid is waiting to take up his wing.

Our rucks were thrashed and Jamar's miss from 10m and Gawn's first-half short-kick howlers were not a great look. Freo does have good ruckmen (Griffin, Clarke etc) and the heat made it slippery, so reserve opinion for a while.

Jimmy T did one sensational fake, but still lacks pace. Sorry but he may not make it unless he becomes an inside player to use his hips.

I love JKH, but he needs to do more and his up-the-ground lead howler where he waited for the ball would not have endeared him to his coach.

Some other player was playing as Daniel Cross - don't worry though, he is never going to be suited by hard, fast March grounds like that one.

Bail was relatively quiet, but you can't rate his games off the TV. You have to be there to see how much hard running for the team he does to appreciate his value.

Michie was useful at times, but needs to do more if he is going to push his way into the side. Should get the next two games though.

• Like 3

Posted 24 February 2015 - 04:03 AM

Trengove

King

Spencer

Grimes

M Jones

Toumpas

Gawn

Riley

McKenzie

Terlich

Fitzpatrick

Jamar (retired)

Cross (retired)

Garland

Will all be gone within 2 years. I doubt Trengove will play again.

Thought I would wait for the dust to settle, BUT agree with all you have said!

Problem is replacements!

JKH , Gawn and Jones have strong competition for spots now, If Gawn doesn't become the player we expect him to be, we will be searching for a new ruckman next year.

Ugh, forgot about Dawes missing for round one. Sparked a new round of hitting my head on the wall over that one.

The second ruck has to stand up, then, and it has to be Pedersen IMO. Gawn and Jamar not mobile enough for mine, which is what Dawes offers. Pedersen's got a few weeks to find form.

I thought that our clearance work when Jamar was in the ruck was pretty good. Unless Gawn improves his ruckwork, Jamar is a lock for most of the year.

• Like 2

Solid effort.

Looks like we are finally getting closer to an AFL standard quota of ball winners. vandenBerg looks like a natural footballer. Big bodied mid who can win the ball and use it well and can take a mark and kick a goal. Might need to build the fitness to play a full game given he had shoulder surgery after last season. Like Newton's game too. In today's game you need enough ball winners to give you first and second midfield rotations and spare to play forward and back.

That was good. Missed the first but watched the entirety of Vanders' game which was pretty assured against a FReo team that looked a bit worried with our pressure.

The best bit was Vanders looked like playing a high HF role through the wing which suits him if he can't be given a full shot in the guts. I still don't want him playing forward but he did look pretty solid I will admit.

As for the team - I don't mind what they were doing out there - they were screwing up a bit but also getting Freo to do the same. Intensity is where it starts, execution is where it ends. Hopefully that is sharpened before GC.

• Like 4

Grimes went into the midfield a couple of seasons ago, perhaps he would be better around the contest. Let's wait and see what Paul does with him.

No he's terrible around contests and when under pressure. He plays without conviction and can't shrug or break a tackle. His strength was as a loose ball defender. He could read the play, intercept mark, link up and move the ball on. 2010 Jack Grimes and Cam Bruce (with support from Rivers and Frawley as talls) led teams a merry dance from half back. Those days are over now. He doesn't intercept well enough and doesn't have the marking or pace he used to have. So instead is a backwards sideways type of limited defensive value. As I said, I believe his body is very substandard for AFL. He can cover the distance but he can't impact the game.

It's a tough game and not everyone is durable. I believe if he's honest he'll retire at the end of this year aged 26. If the club is smart they might try and save his career by beefing him up and giving him a mental start in the VFL. But they should do it now not in 10 weeks time.

This may be seen as a massive overreaction for one NAB cup game but I've seen him train, play the intraclub and of course I've seen him play all of last year.

Hogan has awesome work rate, I reckon late in games when other are tiring he will shine.

As little as we have seen of him, he could be like a N Riewoldt who keeps on leading and presenting for an entire game, but he is versatile too, a lot of possessions up the ground and went into defence late in one quarter. He was clearly rusty, but he definitely is worthy of all the hype, he is gold.

The reality is that we do have some extremely limited players in our bottom five. Their skill errors really cost us. Was the difference between us and freo who don't have the same drop off. They actually had a pretty good tema out there today

Thought we should some promise and admired our effort in the third after we looked like we were to be smashed at half time

Once we get rid of those bottom five and replace with watts, Viney, Vince and Howe we will look better

Oh and I am really confused about those bagging toumpas. Thought he got better as the game went on and he got used to the pace of the game. And unlike our bottom give he is not a turnover merchant

• Like 4

Vandenberg is a unit. Felt like a real noob when he came on and I went, "uhh, who's the tall in 37?". Not sure if it was just the TV effect, but he looks big.

I tried to buy rpfc's softly softly approach, but he looked like he belonged out there to me.

Hey now, there is wriggle room in my approach - if his form is good enough as a mid, play him as a mid.

It's revolutionary thinking...

• Like 1

No he's terrible around contests and when under pressure. He plays without conviction and can't shrug or break a tackle. His strength was as a loose ball defender. He could read the play, intercept mark, link up and move the ball on. 2010 Jack Grimes and Cam Bruce (with support from Rivers and Frawley as talls) led teams a merry dance from half back. Those days are over now. He doesn't intercept well enough and doesn't have the marking or pace he used to have. So instead is a backwards sideways type of limited defensive value. As I said, I believe his body is very substandard for AFL. He can cover the distance but he can't impact the game.

It's a tough game and not everyone is durable. I believe if he's honest he'll retire at the end of this year aged 26. If the club is smart they might try and save his career by beefing him up and giving him a mental start in the VFL. But they should do it now not in 10 weeks time.

This may be seen as a massive overreaction for one NAB cup game but I've seen him train, play the intraclub and of course I've seen him play all of last year.

Terlich is the obvious replacement.