Jeff Garlett Misses Court Appearance

La Dee-vina Comedia

I personally believe that people should be told first the consequences of their dropkick behavior. Jeff needs to be told in no uncertain terms that the club is incredibly disappointed with his behavior and that his foreseeable future at the club is in his hands. Begin behaving like a professional and you are guaranteed a spot in the ones (form withstanding). Behave like a man-child then expect to see time at Casey. It should be a case of speak softly and wave a big stick.
I always love this time of year when one of our players has been caught doing something stupid. All the apologists come out with their platitudes of 'We're all human! Can't we make mistakes?!'. I agree with most on here that it isn't a hanging offence yet but it's not a good start. However to act like the club need do nothing about this is stupid.

I personally believe that people should be told first the consequences of their dropkick behavior. Jeff needs to be told in no uncertain terms that the club is incredibly disappointed with his behavior and that his foreseeable future at the club is in his hands. Begin behaving like a professional and you are guaranteed a spot in the ones (form withstanding). Behave like a man-child then expect to see time at Casey. It should be a case of speak softly and wave a big stick.

I always love this time of year when one of our players has been caught doing something stupid. All the apologists come out with their platitudes of 'We're all human! Can't we make mistakes?!'. I agree with most on here that it isn't a hanging offence yet but it's not a good start. However to act like the club need do nothing about this is stupid.

Very close to Teddy Roosevelt TDC

Drink driving is stupidity - but he has exacerbated the stupidity but not telling the club of this outstanding matter and further exacerbated it by not turning up to the court hearing.

We are all human and make mistakes just doesn't cut it here. I think the correct terminology is "stupidity cubed"

• Like 2

The initial incident occurred whilst at another club, it's not up to the MFC to punish him for it, if any punishment arises it will and should come from our justice system.

The problem was he didn't inform the club of this previous misdemeanor, nor did he read (or alternatively ignore) letters of his impending court date.

The best the club can do is support him, express their disappointment, warn that it's not acceptable, and tell him that he needs to set a good example for the younger players.

This way the club is setting down our law but in a way that makes him less likely to slip up again (similar to a mother being angry vs. disappointed which is so much worse).

However, if he does slip up again then throw the book at him (the MFC legislation).

Sweep this one under the rug, my suggestion for a penalty...nothing, move on....next.

I sort of agree. Any member of the public facing similar charges would not have his employer involved. I don't think its dishonest of him not telling the club. I would hardly be telling my employer (if I had one) about it, particularly if it happened when I was working for someone else.

Having said that doesn't the club do police checks? Drink driving might seem trivial to most but I am sure that anyone who has had a relative or friend hurt or killed by a drunk driver may not see it that way.

If I had any say I think I would put him on a first and final warning over his behavior and leave it at that.

This is the crux in one - managers are paid well. Their job encompasses public relations, personal mentoring, legal advice/referrals, financial advice and the list goes on, I know one manager whom I spoke with today who would never ever ever have let his client miss a court case and face the subsequent fallout,

Did his manager know. He never told Carlton or Melbourne so why would he have told Pickering. Pickering seems to be a pretty switched on manager. My guess is that he has kept it secret from all. In addition he is an adult and should take responsibility for his own actions. Twice the limit and suspended license as well.

At least the incident occurred 6 months ago - whilst he was going through his 'tough time' at Carlton.

He may be able to bluff his way through the non-disclosure and court appearance, but he's certainly used up one of his last lives at AFL level you'd think.

Hopefully we don't punish him too severely.

if only he had told someone........we probably could have bribed a judge or two

I imagine he told someone, his solicitor appeared.

A can of worms around him and Carlton failing to disclose pending legal issues.

• Like 1

It is a serious offence.

He may have been concentrating on work(playing /training for footy) and other issues that he overlooked the date.

I forgot to reregister my car this year as the notice got lost when I closed the Post Office box to which it had previously been sent. as others say not a hanging offense

His manager and legal advisers may have instructed him to not let it ruin his life but to concentrate on those things that he can control while they sort out this matter he may well have done that. The fault may lie with them as much as JG.

Even not telling the club may have been an embarrassment factor more than anything (as Stated)

Please now that we know support him and make sure he learns from this that we do support him. We recognise that he is , as we all are, not perfect.

but he plays better footy than most so lets encourage him to do that.

• Like 1

Ban him from the NAB Challenge games.

That would constitute an interruption to his conditioning and therefore result in the allocation of one golden ticket

in other words, according to some around here, if you miss any of the PS you WILL go on to have a carp season. Do we really want to punish ourselves?

I can't help but wonder what comments we would be seeing from posters here if there was a match against Carlton next week and Garlett had not left them for us.

• Like 1

in other words, according to some around here, if you miss any of the PS you WILL go on to have a carp season. Do we really want to punish ourselves?

Who exactly has said that? Emphasis on "any".

I doubt anyone would equate missing a handful of NAB games to doing basically no training at all for months.

• Like 1

and according to the paper his lawyer was in court and spoke/negotiated on his behalf

so you would expect the client and lawyer would have some communication

seems lawyer indicated he wanted to plead guilty, so maybe jg thought he didn't need to be there

all a bit strange

Yes, DC, that's the bit that puzzled me, too. Surely, if his lawyer knew Jeff was supposed to be in Court, HE would have ensured Jeff was aware and, indeed, there...

It is a serious offence.

He may have been concentrating on work(playing /training for footy) and other issues that he overlooked the date.

I forgot to reregister my car this year as the notice got lost when I closed the Post Office box to which it had previously been sent. as others say not a hanging offense

His manager and legal advisers may have instructed him to not let it ruin his life but to concentrate on those things that he can control while they sort out this matter he may well have done that. The fault may lie with them as much as JG.

Even not telling the club may have been an embarrassment factor more than anything (as Stated)

Please now that we know support him and make sure he learns from this that we do support him. We recognise that he is , as we all are, not perfect.

rational and sensible comments Dpositive consistent with your moniker.

The Best thing the MFC can do is play him with a warning.

According to my Carlton mate who knows Jeff "he needs love"

Punishment and being left out in the cold will only make it worse.

Jeff has had a very different upbringing compared to most.

Yes this is a serious matter but it must be dealt with carefully....(i hope)

• Like 7

The Best thing the MFC can do is play him with a warning.

According to my Carlton mate who knows Jeff "he needs love"

Punishment and being left out in the cold will only make it worse.

Jeff has had a very different upbringing compared to most.

Yes this is a serious matter but it must be dealt with carefully....(i hope)

Someone speaking sense, thank you!

Not a hanging offence but geez its disappointing. Jeff is not a kid any more - he is a big boy now. A bit like the other problem he had at Carlton.

his first instinct seems to be to tell fibs rather than 'fess up. He had a moral if not legal obligation to tell Melbourne about this matter. Where we are coming from we just do not want ratbags at the Club I don't care if they are good footballers because ratbags will eventually bring the Club down.

He should be fined or stood down for a game for not disclosing.

• Like 1

I can't help but wonder what comments we would be seeing from posters here if there was a match against Carlton next week and Garlett had not left them for us.

It is amazing how our attitudes change hardtack.

I know what the comments would be.

• Like 1

It is amazing how our attitudes change hardtack.

I know what the comments would be.

Agree OD (question was purely rhetorical)... as the old saying goes, you don't have to be a weatherman to know which way the wind blows.

• Like 2

It is a serious offence.

This is about the worthiest comment I've read about this. I really get fed up with armchair moralists who have never had a go at anything in their lives but sure know how to kick the bum of somebody who may have fallen over. Pick the man up, don't berate him. There but for the grace of god go I.

• Like 1

tmgjS8g.gif

That is a fantastic clip.

I guess clubs now will have to get one of those "criminal history checks" on all newcomers like those required for child care or heath care.

And will recruiters now have to ask "is there anything else at all that we need to know about you? do you have any criminal cases / charges pending?"

All that said, I hope he puts the past into the past, learns from it, and just knuckles down and kicks regular bags of goals for the Demons.

I am not in any way trivialising drink driving (allegations) or driving whilst suspended, but as far as I can see he did not assault someone at a night club and break their jaw like a certain player from another club who was given the wet lettuce rap on the knuckles and played on without missing a beat, when the 'usual' penalty for that in WA at the time was significant jail time.

Edited by monoccular