Some Players on Notice in 2015

DeeVoted

Surprising no has mentioned Jeremy Howe. Most of the others mentioned are of known quantity and limitations. This guy promises much more but only seems to play for the highlight reel.

I think with the changed interpretation to the marking rules Howe will be a lot more dangerous this coming year. Over the last few seasons he has been unfairly held out of the marking contest more often that not.

• Like 1

I would be adding Max King to the list of blokes who are on notice.

I really struggle to understand what is gained by putting a second year rookie ruckman "on notice". It isn't going to make him get better faster. Just let the kid develop.

To be truthful I struggle with the concept of "on notice" at all. All AFL players are aware of how quickly the end can come and they know if they don't perform they're gone - have a look at Cam Pedersen's comments last year. It's just stupid hyperbole that supporters spew out in order to make themselves feel like hardarses, I think, that has no reflection or relevance to reality.

• Like 7

I really struggle to understand what is gained by putting a second year rookie ruckman "on notice". It isn't going to make him get better faster. Just let the kid develop.

To be truthful I struggle with the concept of "on notice" at all. All AFL players are aware of how quickly the end can come and they know if they don't perform they're gone - have a look at Cam Pedersen's comments last year. It's just stupid hyperbole that supporters spew out in order to make themselves feel like hardarses, I think, that has no reflection or relevance to reality.

Fairly harmless stuff I think Nasher it is not as though the FD takes any notice.

I am sure they pay zero attention to what Demonland thinks.

Besides that until games start there is little for fanatics to talk about.

• Like 1

Can we not worry about delistings until the end of the year. I agree with most of the names and I'll gladly discuss the merits of them being in the team - be that best 22, round 1 or any other time.

But they aren't going anywhere until October so why the rush?

Spencer needs to win more ruck contests and take grabs around the ground, Terlich and Grimes need to stop turning it over, McKenzie has to find confidence winning the ball, Fitzpatrick has to hold marks because we have better crumbing forwards than a guy who's 6'6 and a terrible field kick.

I get all that. I don't disagree with that. But why the need to discuss delistings?

I get the feeling it's like those "predictions" threads... people can look back at the end of the year and get kudos for the number of delistings/trades they correctly predicted.

1: Trenners: (love the guy to bits) injury cloud on his playing future, nearly traded to my horror.

Fully fit will be an assett. (Wont know where he is at with his football until next year?)

Agree with most of your points but if you expect Trenners to improve to keep his place you might as well put the pen through him now. My thoughts are that we'll offer him a significantly lower one year deal performance based with a trigger clause for another year or two and pay increase should he meet certain expectations. I feel that's fair on us and on him, it means if he has another interrupted year he can explore his options freely.

Grimes is a tough one. I really like him and his courage is undeniable. I think he's got the drive to move with the pack, but jeez he needs to work on his kicking. I swear I remember in his breakout year he was hitting players on a dime.

All those other players I wholeheartedly agree, they all need to take their game to another level or they'll get left behind. A lot of them I feel have benefitted from our lower standard and expectations in the past, well no more.

But this sort of pressure can be a good thing, I'd say Dunn was possibly in this category at the start of last year. Having been played in so many positions he was struggling to find his place for the future. Well he found his place and it ended up being VC to Jonesy. Pederson is another who everyone had given up on but he showed his value as a role player, whether or not he'll be a regular is for debate but he's shown that when he comes in now he's going to give it everything he's got.

• Like 2

Surprising no has mentioned Jeremy Howe. Most of the others mentioned are of known quantity and limitations. This guy promises much more but only seems to play for the highlight reel.

I think you're short-changing him adc, making it sound as though all he does is go for the big marks.

It's an observation that was justified perhaps in 2012 or 2013 but not last year. You don't finish 6th in the b&f on the back of a few speccies.

• Like 1

All those other players I wholeheartedly agree, they all need to take their game to another level or they'll get left behind. A lot of them I feel have benefitted from our lower standard and expectations in the past, well no more.

But this sort of pressure can be a good thing, I'd say Dunn was possibly in this category at the start of last year. Having been played in so many positions he was struggling to find his place for the future. Well he found his place and it ended up being VC to Jonesy. [Pedersen] is another who everyone had given up on but he showed his value as a role player, whether or not he'll be a regular is for debate but he's shown that when he comes in now he's going to give it everything he's got.

Good post mate. I agree with your points you make. I hope all players go to another level this year. Grimes included. Without the captaincy burden perhaps he feels the pressure off a bit, and his disposal improves, if not, it will be a team killer.

All the players will be well aware, someone has to go at the end of the year. It would not surprise if some have a really good year, only to be on the trade list.

There is a lot riding on performances this year. As it is getting harder to find players to drop from the list. I would hate to make the call of who stays and who has to go. Lets say Trenner's foot doesnt come up, he gives it away (although it's not in his nature to do that), Cross may decide to stand aside to allow a draftee to come in (if our mids start to perform), then Garland may decide to try his luck elsewhere. Just throwing that thought process out there.

I think that this topic should be held off on until the end of the year. I am hoping that this year delistings are at a minimum (2-5). This is not because of mushy sentimentality. It's more so that I want to see the boys perform and to a standard where that doesn't need to be a wholesale culling.
That being said for mine it is:
1) Jordie McKenzie: He is a trier and has shown at times that he can do a shutdown job. Sadly though, I just have no confidence in him when he gets the pill in his hands. For exhibit A, look at that show he missed against the Lions at Etihad. I wouldn't go as far as to say that it cost us the game but bloody hell, it took the wind out of our sails.

2) Jake Spencer: Been on the list 5 years and still looks like he can't walk and chew gum at the same time. Like Jordie, he has some mongrel about him but, beyond tap work, he is amazingly limited.

Those two are my biggest concerns. I list both of them pretty much because they have had a good run with injury the last 3 odd years (though Spencil did do an ACL in 2011) and have had plenty of time to establish themselves as regular first 22 selections. I just can't see the upside anymore.

Edited by Colin B. Flaubert

I think you're short-changing him adc, making it sound as though all he does is go for the big marks.

It's an observation that was justified perhaps in 2012 or 2013 but not last year. You don't finish 6th in the b&f on the back of a few speccies.

Going to be an interesting year for him. Has to play forward for mine. Edited by Al's Demons

Overall I believe that the quality of our list has improved over the last couple of off seasons and this will result in much more competition at the selection table. With this overall improvement it will mean that there is a possibility that the players that are under the pump at the end of the season may be worth more at the trade table where they could be used as a sweetener to improve a selection in the draft. If this is the case then we are looking at a much wider range of players that may not be with us come round 1 2016.

Roos saying that all players are tradable is a reality in modern football with free agency and the structure of the draft.

I think that this topic should be held off on until the end of the year. I am hoping that this year delistings are at a minimum (2-5). This is not because of mushy sentimentality. It's more so that I want to see the boys perform and to a standard where that doesn't need to be a wholesale culling.

1) Jordie McKenzie: He is a trier and has shown at times that he can do a shutdown job. Sadly though, I just have no confidence in him when he gets the pill in his hands. For exhibit A, look at that show he missed against the Lions at Etihad. I wouldn't go as far as to say that it cost us the game but bloody hell, it took the wind out of our sales.

2) Jake Spencer: Been on the list 5 years and still looks like he can't walk and chew gum at the same time. Like Jordie, he has some mongrel about him but, beyond tap work, he is amazingly limited.

Those two are my biggest concerns. I list both of them pretty much because they have had a good run with injury the last 3 odd years (though Spencil did do an ACL in 2011) and have had plenty of time to establish themselves as regular first 22 selections. I just can't see the upside anymore.

Find another one. Minimum 3 delistings.

Find another one. Minimum 3 delistings.

I don't think this thread is about delistings, it's about who needs to show improvement through this year to avoid being on the chopping block. We can talk about delistings after we're finished in the finals. :)

Wow, a lot can change in a season of footy. This time last year Col Garland was coming off a year where injury cost him a Bluey. Now people are suggesting he is on notice.

Competition for spots really does create pressure to perform.

So you would suggest two very poor years in a row would justify keeping him?

Didn't we do that with Davey?

I don't think this thread is about delistings, it's about who needs to show improvement through this year to avoid being on the chopping block. We can talk about delistings after we're finished in the finals. :)

agreed.

hence my nominations, all of whom you'd expect will either cement their place in 2015 or not be at the club in 2016, but possibly elsewhere.

in terms of pure delistings, the obvious contenders pre-season are the ones everyone else is mooting - mckenzie, riley, terlich, fitzpatrick, spencer, and perhaps 'retired' trengove. and at least three of those i could see potentially being permanent or at worst rotation members of the 2015 side. there's a whole year to go, hopefully they're all firing and contending to be part of a surprise finals side.

1) Jordie McKenzie: He is a trier and has shown at times that he can do a shutdown job. Sadly though, I just have no confidence in him when he gets the pill in his hands. For exhibit A, look at that show he missed against the Lions at Etihad. I wouldn't go as far as to say that it cost us the game but bloody hell, it took the wind out of our sales.

I dunno I was still able to buy in

Spencer has a 2 year contract in his bag, he doesn't like gum, I offered him some last year at training, (ex smoker/compulsive chewer), he politely declined