Training - Saturday 17th January, 2015 at Maroochydore

Whispering_Jack

Are they warming down at the coconut club?

Went down today and it was bloody hot.

Spoke with Jamar and wished him all the best for the season and commented that he looked in good nick. He said he felt great and that this has been his best pre-season and the first full one he has done in about 3 or 4 yrs. I mentioned that I hoped that the good training translates into games to which he replied that the standard of ball movement now is far better than it has been in the past seasons. He was a great fella to have a conversation with.

Spoke to Watts who is now back training with the main group. Asked him if he will be right for round 1 and he said definitely which is good considering he has been mainly in the rehab group. Also mentioned to him that I'm sick of him copping it in the media and can't wait for him to stick it up em which he agreed. Great bloke and looking forward to seeing what he can do this season.

Max Gawn what can you say. He is the class clown I think. He is hilarious and very approachable. Looked in good condition and hasn't got any shorter.

In regards to Dunny, I asked who his hair dresser was (his team mate next to him was pissing himself laughing) and he asked me if I was jealous. First it was that mow now its his hair. Hes got it short on the sides and back with longish on top in a ponytail. Very individuall!! Hes a funny fella and looks set to continue (hopefully) his good form from 2014.

At the end of training Jones and Brayshaw were having a goal kicking comp on the boundary about 35-40m out. Both missed their first then Jones nailed the second with ease. A bit of master and the apprentice. To Brayshaws credit he kept going until he got it.

Saw the all-famous Burgo and asked him if anyone had asked him for his signature which he said no with a smile and I replied you're not surprised are you. His assistant (I think) had a good laugh about it.

All in all it was a good half day the only improvement idea I would give the club is to allow the players/fans more time to sign autographs and have pics as it wasn't long enough IMO.

I am more confident with 2015 season approaching but still am calming my expectations until I see the boys play on the park.

• Like 15

Just how many Melbourne supporters see Jack Watts (either at training or wherever) and apologise to him for his poor play being questioned. And why?

Probably plenty.

Why, because people have favourites and would rather suck up their arse than have a team comitted to doing the team things.

These training reports are AWESOME! Huge thanks to everyone for giving their time up the coast and posting such thorough commentary. Sucks there's no QLD games for the Dees this year. Typical fixturing rubbish from the AFL.

wow, even the fella who was approaching the players...? You have changed your tune :-)

wow, even the fella who was approaching the players...? You have changed your tune :-)

No one has a problem with a supporter approaching a player. Every issue with over inflating your ego by acting like you're their mate and using that to diss others.

• Like 5

Kudos to the posters who not only made it down there but also provided some succinct and insightful training reports. Very refreshing to read guys and it's excellent to hear about the professional nature of training these days, something we've been striving to reach for too long now. Some positive stuff. Cheers.

• Like 9

Why would we apologise for his poor play being questioned if it were poor?

Actually that question has gone over my head.

Quite simply, how many people see Jack Watts in the streets and suck up to him? And are the same who bag him on here? At least I know I'm consistent. I'm not going to go yell at him in the streets (unless I'm drunk), but at the same time I wont go up and tell him how much I think the media give him a hard time.

• Like 1

Uh, nah, haven't changed my tune. None of the excellent posters who've contributed training reports have abused others for having opinions about MFC players.

Maybe you should know what you're talking about before attempting ignorant smartass comments.

• Like 3

Quite simply, how many people see Jack Watts in the streets and suck up to him? And are the same who bag him on here? At least I know I'm consistent. I'm not going to go yell at him in the streets (unless I'm drunk), but at the same time I wont go up and tell him how much I think the media give him a hard time.

Thanks for the clarification, long day varnishing new doors, I didn't take the "apply in well ventilated area" warning properly.

If I ever did meet him all i'd do is shake his hand and tell him it was nice to meet him. No sucking up required. And then I'd tell him to never varnish three sets of bi-fold doors, pay someone. I have two more coats and literally think I'm going to cry.

• Like 2

I took a few shots as well. Follow the link. I'll try and find some energy tomorrow and post some thoughts.

http://imgur.com/a/r68Bd

Great pics GV. Loved seeing Tom and his brother running side by side.

Newton looks beastly, and JKH & Viney seem to be developing very nicely alongside one another.

Just great to see so many of the boys in full training for a change. Refreshing!

Thanks to all the posters who have contributed reports so far from Maroochydore. If only I had known a little more in advance of the venue and timing, I might have managed to get there myself. That part of the world's great for a holiday on its own.

On top of that, from the reports we've been getting on the views of club officials, it sounds like this is as good a venue for one of these pre season training/bonding exercises as the more costly and exotic parts of the world tried by others over the years.

• Like 5

A few of the seniors including Dunny and Nat Jones were not satisfied with what they perceived as a drop off in the final half hour. They called all players back on the ground for a pep talk and another short and sharp running activity with the injured players having to do a push-up repeat exercise at the same time. Petracca excelled in the short sprints, a good sign from a junior after a hot 3hrs in the Qld sun Many players then stayed on the ground for some shots at goal

I never herd that happening in the past. Things are changing.

There is no need for apologies.

Watts is a good player who's job is to play football.

Is he good at his job, Yes. Does he have deficiencies he needs to work on, Yes.

Tell me someone who has a job who doesn't need to work on their deficiencies?

Have u heard of a guy called Paul Roos?? I'm sure he is well aware of what needs improving as i am sure Watts is.

Let's not turn this into another Watts bashing thread.

• Like 3

The word I like is intensity.

It has been mentioned by more posters than I can recall in past years

You can even see it a little more in the muscle structure in the pictures and the eyes focus.

Cant remember seeing this in the photos from past years.

Maybe the quality of the reporters but thanks everyone

GO DEES

• Like 1