Training - Friday 19th December, 2014

Longsufferingnomore

Last session for the year and all looking positive so far, big thanks to Saty, RPFC, George on the outer and all other Deelanders for keeping us interstate members/supporters up to date through 2014.

Hope all Dees fans have a Merry Christmas and may 2015 be kinder to all of us

• Like 17

RPFC - If The Prince is playing on the wing. How did the first choice backs set up? Although our defence improved last year we still lack class. Is now the time to groom someone at half back. Salem or Toumpas.

Highlight packages can be deceiving but I like the look of Frost. From the training reports Howe is still in defence, I personally would play him forward.

Jetta Frost Dunn

Salem McDonald Howe

Garland is 26, allowing for injurys he's been good without being great. Grimes is another interesting one. We need to be better than good if we are to climb off the bottom.

Garland would be a walk up start at most clubs, probably all clubs. We underrate him a lot on this site. Playing defence for the MFC over the last number of years hasn't been an easy ask.

• Like 10

Be interested to hear from those in attendance as to how Jeff Garlett is going. Always looks laconic but got the job done for a few years at the Blues. Maybe Malthouse knocked his confidence around last season? He could be one of four x-factor inclusions next season to add with HL, Hogan and Petracca.

Reckon we'll look less beige in 2015.

• Like 2

There looked to be a few in the mix with the backs, don't recall Salem being one of them. Grimes was there, Garland. Bit too early to settle on it, all I could see was they were getting Lumumba comfortable in the midfield.

• Like 1

Be interested to hear from those in attendance as to how Jeff Garlett is going. Always looks laconic but got the job done for a few years at the Blues. Maybe Malthouse knocked his confidence around last season? He could be one of four x-factor inclusions next season to add with HL, Hogan and Petracca.

Reckon we'll look less beige in 2015.

He looked like a footy player. Great skills, hit the drop of the ball, I don't think he will see it much, but I think he will kick multiple goals most games.

• Like 3

Strawbs had a lot more grunt than spencer. He should be using that big frame but is about as effective as watts one on one.

It requires a leap of faith, but if you disregard anything he did before these last two seasons (as I believe judging ruckman under 23 is pretty much irrelevant) then his career consists of:

5 games this year where he; smashed Hickey and had 9 tackles, got towelled by a triple threat of Eagles rucks, battled on against Mumford in the wet, beat Warnock silly and had 5 marks, played under heavy duress (ankle injury) against Gold Coast where he shouldn't have even played but we had no alternative.

8 games last year where he had a crack and threw his weight around unfortunately not too cleverly against the Saints when he got himself suspended.

In marking contests he still battles. If he doesn't improve his coordination against better rucks he wont be of much use around the ground as clearly he's a poor kick. But he's definitely good at scrapping around the packs and has laid some big tackles. He's not Watts in that regard. Watts has never done this:

• Like 6

It requires a leap of faith, but if you disregard anything he did before these last two seasons (as I believe judging ruckman under 23 is pretty much irrelevant) then his career consists of:

5 games this year where he; smashed Hickey and had 9 tackles, got towelled by a triple threat of Eagles rucks, battled on against Mumford in the wet, beat Warnock silly and had 5 marks, played under heavy duress (ankle injury) against Gold Coast where he shouldn't have even played but we had no alternative.

8 games last year where he had a crack and threw his weight around unfortunately not too cleverly against the Saints when he got himself suspended.

In marking contests he still battles. If he doesn't improve his coordination against better rucks he wont be of much use around the ground as clearly he's a poor kick. But he's definitely good at scrapping around the packs and has laid some big tackles. He's not Watts in that regard. Watts has never done this:

I have never seen that video before that is pure gold!

Thanks for the reports guys

What stage is Gawn at? Full training? Did he play in the match simulation?

I'm just watching the first quarter of round 9 v Tigers this year. Might be getting carried away but I think it's close to the most impact I've seen a ruck have in a quarter for a long time. So much talent for such a big guy. He is our future if his legs hold up.

• Like 2

With a huge amount of help from some of the Volunteers our group, The Demon Army, were the beneficiaries of yesterday's BBQ at training.

Thanks to all who helped set up, man the BBQ, serve and clean up. Thanks to all who donated for a snag - or just donated. We certainly had a few who chose the latter!

Your participation and generosity will definitely help us achieve our aim to update our flags & Big Heads for 2015. And we have a few new gimmicks in store as well to add to the colour, cheer and atmosphere behind the goals each week.

What was especially pleasing yesterday was seeing the number of supporters around the ground. There's a real sense of excitement for all that 2015 may bring for Demon worshippers.

Merry Christmas to all & here's looking forward to all the New Year brings

• Like 12

Thanks all for the great reports.

Wish I could get to a session. Maybe January.

Hahah yes! Thats my favourite Spencil highlight! Hahaha!

I have never seen that video before that is pure gold!

That is the most amazing tackle I can remember :-)))

Mind you, if 'the victim' had hit his head on the ground it would be regarded as the biggest 'sling tackle' of all time

RPFC or TDI: If you were to go out on a limb, which of our draftees can you see being in the mix for round 1? I know there's a bit of water to pass under the bridge, but you read different training reports and you see each of Petracca, Brayshaw, Neal-Bullen, Stretch, Oscar Mac, etc. get wrapped up by different posters. What are your thoughts?

• Like 1