WELCOME TO THE MELBOURNE FOOTBALL CLUB - BEN NEWTON

Moneider96

The right thing by him, but not the evenness of the comp. While he has gone to the second worst team, what if he went to another top team? The PSD (and the nat draft) is structured so that the worst teams have access to the best players.

The PSD is designed to give the worst teams access to those players that wish to move on for more opportunities.

Newton was a prime candidate to go through that route.

I don't like hypotheticals, but why does he get to go where he wants as a wanted player but other wanted players around the league are told their fate is through the PSD?

PA did the right thing by him, but they should not have been allowed to IMO. As soon as you are offered a contract for next season and you turn it down - you should be made to head for the PSD/ND.

They don't all go to the worst teams - Matt Spangher says "hi"! Listed player in I think two other premiership clubs, and emergency again for Hawks 2013 flag, then gets the ultimate prize. Well done. Persistence pays.

They don't all go to the worst teams - Matt Spangher says "hi"! Listed player in I think two other premiership clubs, and emergency again for Hawks 2013 flag, then gets the ultimate prize. Well done. Persistence pays.

Spangher was traded for a low pick. Not sure of the connection.

The right thing by him, but not the evenness of the comp. While he has gone to the second worst team, what if he went to another top team? The PSD (and the nat draft) is structured so that the worst teams have access to the best players.

The PSD is designed to give the worst teams access to those players that wish to move on for more opportunities.

Newton was a prime candidate to go through that route.

I don't like hypotheticals, but why does he get to go where he wants as a wanted player but other wanted players around the league are told their fate is through the PSD?

PA did the right thing by him, but they should not have been allowed to IMO. As soon as you are offered a contract for next season and you turn it down - you should be made to head for the PSD/ND.

I agree. I don't really like the PSD, but maybe for players in their first 4 or 5 years they should be subjected to a waiver wire, which is a similar prospect. If you walk out of a club before you've reached a relevant free agency period then name your price of contract and be subjected to a process where the lowest clubs have first pick. Don't like it, then organise a trade.

It's just another mixed up version of the current system.

Anyway maybe it's all a conspiracy. Port say they aren't letting him go. Melbourne say we'll take him in the PSD. Port say ok then sucked in you're going to Melbourne we may as well let you go now. In some ways it helps Port as we are committed to him now. If we waited until the PSD he could've been injured or otherwise and instead of taking him we might have plucked the guy Port wanted with pick 53.

If he said he was going to Hawthorn or Sydney then Port might've said, no thanks, you can go the PSD.

Is it my imagination, that whenever we are chasing someone, it doesn't happen quickly. Other clubs seem to get targetted players far more quickly.

It's your imagination. "A watched pot never boils", and you spend your time watching Melbourne FC. The other clubs are holding your attention so your brain doesn't process the time passing in the same way.

• Like 2

Nice freebie pick up. If he's a bust we haven't lost anything. If he's a boom then we come out miles on top.

And I like the name 'Bert' for some reason even thought the real one annoys me.

If he is Bert, then who is Ernie? :blink:

If he is Bert, then who is Ernie? :blink:

Looked up famous Ernies.

Ernie Kent - Basketball coach who won two Pac-10 Tournament Championships with the Oregon Ducks in 2003 and 2007.

But I think he gets edged out by....drum roll.....

Ernie Watts - Grammy Award-winning saxophonist best known for his work with The Rolling Stones and Charlie Haden's Quartet West.

Watts is Ernie.

• Like 2

Looked up famous Ernies.

Ernie Kent - Basketball coach who won two Pac-10 Tournament Championships with the Oregon Ducks in 2003 and 2007.

Ernie Watts - Grammy Award-winning saxophonist best known for his work with The Rolling Stones and Charlie Haden's Quartet West.

Watts is Ernie.

Wise, Merrick & Borgnine

Give your mates from golf a call.

Good get but obviously my golf mates dont know everything!

With the recruitment of Newton, in bringing in Frost, Lumumba, Newton and Garlett, we have used the trade and FA period to strengthen every line.

Bringing in Newton gives us another left footer to play in midfield alongside Salem and Viney. If we add Brayshaw, who is very good off both feet (predominantly kicks left footed in general play, right when lining up for goal), that’s a nice little group that we can bring through in a similar vein to Hawthorn.

The other plus in the Newton signing is that it helps make up for our missteps in the 2010 draft. Whilst we missed with the Cook pick, we have now added Michie and Newton in addition to Howe and McDonald who have established themselves as regular senior players. If Michie and Newton become regular contributors, our list profile all of a sudden looks a hell of a lot better. Especially if the majority of our picks from 2012 (Toumpas, Viney, Kent, Barry) 2013 (Hogan, Salem, JKH, Hunt) & 2014 (Stretch + picks 2 &3) are developed well under the current regime. 2011 was a complete write off for us, but at least we’ve ended up with Tyson and now Frost from that draft year.

What a great post. A perspective I hadn't considered previously - thanks.

• Like 6

Looked up famous Ernies.

Watts is Ernie.

The fastest milkman in the west ??

• Like 2

Looking at this video I must admit I am really surprised that Port let him go.

He wanted to go. That's the only reason why they let him go. He couldn't get a regular game at port due to injury, but now that he has fully recovered and fit to go, he wanted a fresh start for more opportunity. That's why port fans think he dogged them, because they stuck by him through everything, and they could see his potential.

He wanted to go. That's the only reason why they let him go. He couldn't get a regular game at port due to injury, but now that he has fully recovered and fit to go, he wanted a fresh start for more opportunity. That's why port fans think he dogged them, because they stuck by him through everything, and they could see his potential.

He'll be in our starting 22 that's for sure. A great pickup. A lot better than any speculative player at pick 40 if we don't delist anyone.

Sounds like what Thompson did to us.

He'll be in our starting 22 that's for sure. A great pickup. A lot better than any speculative player at pick 40 if we don't delist anyone.

Back: Jetta, Frost, Dunn

Half-back: Grimes, TMac, Lumumba

Mid: Vince, Viney ,Watts

Half-Forward: Kent, Dawes, Howe

Forward: JKH, Hogan, Garlett

Followers: Jamar, Jones, Tyson

I/C: Garland, Salem, Pedersen

Sub: Cross

Wouldn't have him in there just yet.