• IMPORTANT: PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Posting unsubstantiated rumours on this website is strictly forbidden.

Demonland has made the difficult decision to not permit this platform to be used to discuss & debate the off-field issues relating to the Melbourne Football Club including matters currently being litigated between the Club & former Board members, board elections, the issue of illicit drugs in footy, the culture at the club & the personal issues & allegations against some of our players & officials ...

We do not take these issues & this decision lightly & of course we believe that these serious matters affecting the club we love & are so passionate about are worthy of discussion & debate & I wish we could provide a place where these matters can be discussed in a civil & respectful manner.

However these discussions unfortunately invariably devolve into areas that may be defamatory, libelous, spread unsubstantiated rumours & can effect the mental health of those involved. Even discussion & debate of known facts or media reports can lead to finger pointing, blame & personal attacks.

The repercussion is that these discussions can open this website, it’s owners & it’s users to legal action & may result in this website being forced to shutdown.

Our moderating team are all volunteers & cannot moderate the forum 24/7 & as a consequence problematic content that contravenes our rules & standards may go unnoticed for some time before it can be removed.

We reserve the right to delete posts that offend against our above policy & indeed, to ban posters who are repeat offenders or who breach our code of conduct.

WE HAVE BUILT A FANTASTIC ONLINE COMMUNITY AT DEMONLAND OVER THE PAST 23 YEARS & WE WOULD LIKE TO CONTINUE TO BE ABLE TO DISCUSS THE CLUB WE LOVE & ARE SO PASSIONATE ABOUT.

Thank you for your continued support & understanding. Go Dees.

WELCOME TO THE MELBOURNE FOOTBALL CLUB - BEN NEWTON

Moneider96

A big call rjay!

Why don't you post your likely team (including our likely #2 and #3 draft picks)?

maybe not.

Roos ( mfc fd ) are bringing players to.....play !! Not to fill a list

We need hit ground running mids. If fit Newton is such. Like rjay Id be thinking hes supposed to play immediately...if up to it.

Made a big call on Tyson last year saying he would be a star...as far as Newton goes it was more a reaction to 'Norm' saying he would be an emergency. He is ahead of a lot on our current list for a game round 1.

It's way too early to post likely teams, a lot of water to go under the bridge yet.

As for the draft a bit depends on St Kilda but it's likely to be Brayshaw and McCartin. I wouldn't be upset with Lever, think he will be a gun if injury doesn't get him. I'm not as big a fan of Petraca as many, he's still a forward who plays mid but has a good attitude and looks like he will do the work. Weight and endurance will be issues for him.

I hope we get Gore at pick 40, I think he is one of the best pure mids in the draft.

I am not arguing with anything that you say, but for Newton to play Round 1, then he will have to be more highly regarded than Brayshaw, Cross, Mitchie etc. With the new players coming in, it will even be hard to select Grimes in the back half, or JKH/Kent in the forward half.

I am not arguing with anything that you say, but for Newton to play Round 1, then he will have to be more highly regarded than Brayshaw, Cross, Mitchie etc. With the new players coming in, it will even be hard to select Grimes in the back half, or JKH/Kent in the forward half.

There's going to be a lot of competition for these places this preseason 'CB' and that's a good thing.

Kent is going to have to make a big step up, I think from current output he is overrated on this forum. I see the potential but 2015 is a big year for him. JKH will have to have a really good preseason to make round one. Bail, Mitchie, Grimes, Riley, Toumpas, Salem...there will be a lot in the mix.

Jones, Tyson, Vince and Cross would be the locks for a mid place and we also have Garlett coming in to play some mid time. I think Newton will be there.

• Like 2

Newton certainly can be starting for us round 1.

The best 22 will usually have at least 8 midfielders.

We have 4 certainties for midfield - Jones, Vince, Tyson, Viney.

That leaves 4 spots. The rest of our midfielders can be split into 2 categories - We have developing midfielders - Brayshaw, Toumpas, Salem, Stretch. Then we have the rest - Cross, Matt Jones, Newton, Michie, Riley, McKenzie

We can't have too many developing midfielders in the round 1 team, probably a maximum of 2. So for Newton to make the team he simply has to prove his worth over the likes of Riley, Michie, Jones etc... If he's any good he should be able to do that quite comfortably.

Next year we really need to recruit 2-3 free agent midfielders. Our midfield is still so weak, teams like Port, Sydney, Freo, Brisbaine etc have 8-10 high quality midfielders, compared to our 4.

• Like 1

Of those three only 1 is starting 22 , Cross

Brayshaw may not play immediately. its not the Roos way. Mitchie is still not quite there yet ( auto start 22 ) but might be with a full preseason.

I don't think Grimes or JKH/Kent get squeezed in to the midfield mix and stay in the team because of new players coming in to those spots. I think they'll have to fight harder for their own positions.

We'll likely play 3 or at max 4 small/medium forwards (including the sub) all or some of which will have to do midfield bursts: Garlett, Howe (if not back), Kent, JKH, Bail, Salem likely compete for those spots. Only if we have a midfielder with above average forward ability would this number come down to 2 unless Salem or Kent are fit and good enough to be classified as midfielders, which would be exciting.

We'll likely play 7 defenders, 1 or 2 of which might have to spend time on the wing. That's Lumumba or Grimes maybe.

Add in 2 key forwards and 2 rucks and there's room for 8 midfielders.

Jones, Tyson, Vince, Cross and Viney are the first 5 picked. Newton will be competing for one of the 3 remaining spots with Toumpas, Michie, Riley, Watts, McKenzie, Matt Jones, Brayshaw and others. I actually think Toumpas and Watts have the inside running because we desperately need more outside run to complement the 5 I named as definite starters. At the same time Roos will still be focused on winning contested ball and defensive work rate.

It's impossible to say just where Newton will fit in. I lean to him being in the round 1 team because I think he'll be knocking the door down in the NAB challenge and the coaches will be keen to get a look at him. There's not much point recruiting a guy and then not giving him a shot. He's probably better suited as an inside player but being a left footer who likes a goal he could adapt to a wing role better than the likes of Riley, McKenzie etc and edge out Matt Jones or Toumpas.

I don't mind resting our better mids in to the season and our talls and established forwards or defenders, but next years preseason games should be absolutely flat out for round 1 spots in the midfield.

• Like 1

Newton is in exactly the same position as Michie and Riley last year in that he's a youngish mid who couldn't crack it for a game with his club. Most expected too much from Michie and Riley and I'm just expecting Newton to be a possible mid at this stage.

The reality is that if we are to progress we need a couple of the young mids to step up but at this stage I don't think Michie or Riley showed they'd be anything more than dime a dozen mids. I hope but don't expect more of Newton. My hopes lie with Salem, JKH and Toumpas along with any mids from pick 2 and 3 this year. But those guys are young so they will be useful class in a few years.

Those trying to find a spot for Grimes need to do two things. The first is to recognized at he is clearly best 22 despite DL groupthink and the other is to remember that Lumumba played midfield/wing for Collingwood and Roos is on record as saying he's pleased to have a big bodied mid added to the squad for next year. IMO Lumumba will play in the midfield.

• Like 4

BB, for a quality poster you do yourself a disservice with these references to "Demonland groupthink" for any opinion you happen to disagree with.

On last season's form, Grimes is no longer CLEARLY best 22. He is on the periphery, and that is an opinion shared beyond Demonland.

The reality is that he will be there in Round 1, but he didn't do much to justify his spot in 2014.

• Like 8

We can have a go at doing a best 22 now, but there are always bolters and sliders in pre-season. I certainly wouldn't discount this guy playing round 1.

Lumumba will play most of his footy at half back, where he has played most of his career and where he is desperately needed at MFC.

And consensus opinion isn't automatically wrong.

Newton is in exactly the same position as Michie and Riley last year in that he's a youngish mid who couldn't crack it for a game with his club. Most expected too much from Michie and Riley and I'm just expecting Newton to be a possible mid at this stage.

The reality is that if we are to progress we need a couple of the young mids to step up but at this stage I don't think Michie or Riley showed they'd be anything more than dime a dozen mids. I hope but don't expect more of Newton. My hopes lie with Salem, JKH and Toumpas along with any mids from pick 2 and 3 this year. But those guys are young so they will be useful class in a few years.

Those trying to find a spot for Grimes need to do two things. The first is to recognized at he is clearly best 22 despite DL groupthink and the other is to remember that Lumumba played midfield/wing for Collingwood and Roos is on record as saying he's pleased to have a big bodied mid added to the squad for next year. IMO Lumumba will play in the midfield.

One thing Grimes needs to do to be in the best 22 going forward is improve his kicking and descision making, they do let him and the team down to often. Looking forward to him doing just that.

Riley had a badly broken ankle to recover from. So I didn't expect him to do much and not to play until mid season at least. So in some ways he exceeded expectations. Michie was expected to play round 1 and he did. I expected a bit more from him for the season but he did break his jaw and then get stuck in the Casey que whilst Roos wasn't shuffling the team much. He was better with a second chance, I wish it had come earlier. It should hopefully be harder to get a game round 1 this year for midfielders. But I'd still expect Newton to be right up in selection plans in to round 1 and unless injured to play 10 games. If he got 4 with Port he should get 10 with us!

Roos did pretty well at Sydney with "dime-a-dozen" mids like Amon Buchanan, Luke Ablett, Ben Matthews and Jared Crouch.

• Like 2

Roos did pretty well at Sydney with "dime-a-dozen" mids like Amon Buchanan, Luke Ablett, Ben Matthews and Jared Crouch.

Crouch turned in to an elite lock down defender. Buchanan (for a short period including a grand final) was a dangerous half forward. And I think Luke Ablett was a bit underrated. He probably had some more Ablett traits that we'd now recognise in his cousin even though he looked pretty plain at first.

Certainly Bolton, Kirk, Matthews, Ablett and Dempster as the tagger were the grunt of the Swans midfield defensive style. Fosdike and Paul Williams were about it for outside types and then there was Goodes as the superstar. I never knew how Bolton, Kirk, Ablett etc beat the West Coast superstars, but I guess the answer is they didn't. They just restricted them, lent on their great defensive set ups and did enough for a few gun forwards to kick a winning score.

I try to think if we were recreating the Swans of 05 what we are missing. They might not be up to standard but at least we have the midfielders on our list to push for spots now. Newton is going to be a better player if he works for a spot now he's here and doesn't just coast in to one.

We have some dour defenders, ok rucks and I'm hoping star forwards are in the pipeline (no pressure Hoges and others). Tadhg Kennelly from half back and a midfield star would be nice, maybe Tyson or Brayshaw plus a gun runner and ball user picked up in this draft please!

We have some dour defenders, ok rucks and I'm hoping star forwards are in the pipeline (no pressure Hoges and others). Tadhg Kennelly from half back and a midfield star would be nice, maybe Tyson or Brayshaw plus a gun runner and ball user picked up in this draft please!

H is the run & carry from HB, Tyson is on the verge of being seen as a star and Garlett will be the runner, he hasn't been brought in as a small forward.

I would be very surprised if Newton doesn't play game one and he will make it very hard for anyone to dislodge him unless injury cuts him down.

edit: in other words Tyson is a star just not many have worked it out yet...

Edited by rjay

Riley had a badly broken ankle to recover from. So I didn't expect him to do much and not to play until mid season at least. So in some ways he exceeded expectations. Michie was expected to play round 1 and he did. I expected a bit more from him for the season but he did break his jaw and then get stuck in the Casey que whilst Roos wasn't shuffling the team much. He was better with a second chance, I wish it had come earlier. It should hopefully be harder to get a game round 1 this year for midfielders. But I'd still expect Newton to be right up in selection plans in to round 1 and unless injured to play 10 games. If he got 4 with Port he should get 10 with us!

Or 22.

H is the run & carry from HB, Tyson is on the verge of being seen as a star and Garlett will be the runner, he hasn't been brought in as a small forward.

I would be very surprised if Newton doesn't play game one and he will make it very hard for anyone to dislodge him unless injury cuts him down.

edit: in other words Tyson is a star just not many have worked it out yet...

Was it you who said Tyson would be a top 5 player in the league within the next two years? I think that will prove to be a tad lofty unless he can achieve it by the end of next season. But in time, he could well be.

Interesting re Garlett. Everything Roos has said indicates that he has been recruited as an addition to the forward line. What makes you think differently?

Edited by P-man

Was it you who said Tyson would be a top 5 player in the league within the next two years? I think that will prove to be a tad lofty unless he can achieve it by the end of next season. But in time, he could well be.

Interesting re Garlett. Everything Roos has said indicates that he has been recruited as an addition to the forward line. What makes you think differently?

Because Roos said he would play more in the midfield with us.

Yes I did say Tyson would be in the top 5 mids in the comp and I think I will not be far off the mark. His polling in the Brownlow shows he is rating pretty well already that and also opposition coaches putting a tag on him.

• Like 2

Yes I did say Tyson would be in the top 5 mids in the comp and I think I will not be far off the mark. His polling in the Brownlow shows he is rating pretty well already that and also opposition coaches putting a tag on him.

I must have missed him saying that. What I heard was him talking glowingly about his goal kicking record and references to him as a small forward.

For a team that can't score to save itself, I would hope we will be putting the bloke whose goal kicking record leaves every other player on our list in the shade, into the forward line.

• Like 1

BB, for a quality poster you do yourself a disservice with these references to "Demonland groupthink" for any opinion you happen to disagree with.

On last season's form, Grimes is no longer CLEARLY best 22. He is on the periphery, and that is an opinion shared beyond Demonland.

The reality is that he will be there in Round 1, but he didn't do much to justify his spot in 2014.

Sorry to upset you with the DL groupthink reference P-man, but we all have our barrows to push. I refer to "DL groupthink" on the occasions I reckon it exists and this is one of those occasions.

I do think that groupthink is common here and by my reference to it I'm trying to make people aware of it and challenge them to critically evaluate their position.

I didn't hear that. I heard he will play crumbing forward (Multiple mentions of crumbing) but will also use his speed up the ground. All small forwards should do 10-20% of the game on a wing to mix things up, but Garlett's kicked 40 goals in a season, lets get him near the sticks! Got to get him on the track and fit first!

I wonder how good Newton's forward ability will be. He's not big. But looks to have decent hands. Not overly fast but can get on his left foot and doesn't look afraid to have a shot on goal. If he can crumb and play well forward that helps his chances of staying in the team.

I must have missed him saying that. What I heard was him talking glowingly about his goal kicking record and references to him as a small forward.

For a team that can't score to save itself, I would hope we will be putting the bloke whose goal kicking record leaves every other player on our list in the shade, into the forward line.

I didn't hear that. I heard he will play crumbing forward (Multiple mentions of crumbing) but will also use his speed up the ground. All small forwards should do 10-20% of the game on a wing to mix things up, but Garlett's kicked 40 goals in a season, lets get him near the sticks! Got to get him on the track and fit first!

I wonder how good Newton's forward ability will be. He's not big. But looks to have decent hands. Not overly fast but can get on his left foot and doesn't look afraid to have a shot on goal. If he can crumb and play well forward that helps his chances of staying in the team.

This is from Liam Pickering...now he is a manager and you can't always believe what comes from their mouths but...

Speaking on NAB AFL Trade Radio on Tuesday, Garlett’s manager Liam Pickering said he was confident a deal would be achieved.

"It’ll get done," he said.
Pickering said he had spoken with Carlton head of football operations Andrew McKay and Melbourne football manager Josh Mahoney.
"We’ve agreed on terms of a contract, they (the clubs) just need to organise a trade," he said.
Pickering said Essendon had also expressed an interest in securing the out-of-favour Carlton forward.
"Essendon were in it as well, so there were two clubs that were pretty keen on Jeff," he said.
"'Roosy' (Melbourne coach Paul Roos) had been really adamant that he wants Jeff - (he) sees a role not just in the forward pocket (but) maybe more up the ground around the midfield with his speed.
"A fresh start for Jeff is going to be really important."
  • Like 1