Read my lips says Josh Mahoney

Whispering_Jack

I've shared most of what I know in the past couple of weeks.

I think a succession of unexpected events out of our control has had an effect.

McCartney

Griffin

Walsh

The hold up with Beams and Ryder

But the real killer was JT's foot. pick 12 was the sweetener.

I'll put it out there - JT's foot is fine, we get Danger. c'est la vie

Well if he was serious we up the offer and don't have to trade anything next season

FCS the glass isn't always half empty

• Like 1

Wow what a tough audience, lumumba, Garlett, stretch and frost (if he comes) are all good upgrades in areas that we were down in. Inclusion of a couple of very high draft picks Brayshaw and possibly Lever and maybe one other are also big pluses and that still leaves us the possibility of picking up something in the rookie or PSD. I see all this as being extremely positive. If you follow the money ball philosophy we have upgraded in 5 or 6 positions which will make a huge difference. We will have a few of our previous draft picks getting bigger and stronger and hopefully improving their skills. And we should finally (in round 2) see Dawes and Hogan playing together in the forward line with some decent crumbers.

Yes other clubs have picked up and lost players but you have to look at the actual net gain or loss also some of those trade may not work out, i.e. Collingwood got a new midfielder or two but lost one of their very best so by any measure they have lost a bit of ground there, they have lost lumumba which and had a few retirements. Geelong have gone tall and taken a big punt on MC being able to help them, it may work, but given past history you have to see there is a good chance it may not.

As for footscray, lost griffin and several others clambering to leave the dog house, sacked their coach, may need to find a new game plan for next year and have given a kid a $1m a year. How do you think that is going to make those other doggie players feel, how do you think it is going to make GWS players still in Sydney feel. I dont think you have to worry about free agency anymore this trading event has shown that anyone who wants to walk away from their club to a new larger contract has a very good chance of doing so, so there is going to be a lot of money being thrown at players in contract, out of contract and free agents, and in amongst it all will be players who feel deeply under appreciated and under payed where they are. We will be far better in 2015 and even better again in 2016.

• Like 6

Lots of people talking about what Roos apparently said, below is what he actually said. It's a bit different to some of the claims being thrown around here - no mention of mids for example.

Summed up in: "it’s going to be mixture of hopefully experienced players again and young kids." and .... "I’d like to bring in a couple more experienced players"

"“My mandate is to make the club better and improve our list and we did that last year and we need to do it again in the off-season.”

“I think a lot of it is getting through the trade week and just seeing what you end up in the trade week,” he said.

“I don’t think we want to end up bringing in another seven or eight young kids – the Melbourne fans have seen that. We’d like to get some real high quality kids like we did last year.

“We felt we did really well going into the draft last year and did really well in trade week, so I think it’s going to be mixture of hopefully experienced players again and young kids.

“It’s hard to say absolutely until we get through trade week, in terms of numbers, but I think there will be a significant change to the list.”

But Roos said the potential to recruit players with AFL experience again – a la Daniel Cross, Bernie Vince and Dom Tyson last year – was a priority.

“I think so. I think Melbourne fans and maybe St Kilda fans can talk about a couple of years rebuilding because they’ve been in a couple of grand finals and my responsibility is to clean up the six or seven years [at Melbourne],” he said.

“I don’t think Melbourne fans are going to cop rebuilding again – even though they know where we’re at.

“I’d like to bring in a couple more experienced players and add to our squad and hopefully jump up the win/loss column – no question about that.”

“My view is that all of your players are tradable and all of your picks are tradable. Last year, we did very, very well out of it with Dom and Christian,” he said

• Like 3

Well if he was serious we up the offer and don't have to trade anything next season

FCS the glass isn't always half empty

I don't buy that the only reason Danger fell through was because we couldn't get pick 12. As if we wouldn't have thrown up Howe/Watts/Toumpas/Grimes that very instant and seen what was on offer.

Toump still has currency in the first round IMHO.

MELBOURNE has nixed any suggestion that it is still working on a deal involving its prized No.2 and No.3 picks at next month's NAB AFL National Draft.

Demons football manager Josh Mahoney told NAB Trade Radio on Wednesday that once it became clear that stars such as Adelaide's Patrick Dangerfield could not be lured to the club, the decision was made to hold on to the picks.

"It's not likely to happen," Mahoney said. "There are only a small number of players you would use them for.

"We went hard early, but once we were told 'no' then we decided to use the opportunity to bring in some high-end young talent into the club.

"There will be some good free agents this time next year and we will go hard at those," he said.

• Like 2

A glimmer of hope: the final day of the trade period has historically always been the biggest.

https://twitter.com/Goalsneaker/status/521987526865588224

It's kind of ironic that the FA landscape has seemingly created a new paradigm, yet there's less player movement than for the past four years. The AFLPA'd be happy. :P

surely we have a bucket load of cash to be used in Free Agency next year.

This year too, surely/Shirley. If anything we might have a little less next year if we have to pay overs to keep Jones.

Edited by AdamFarr

We were only paying the minimum, and Clark/Frawley leaving probably freed up $1m/year.

Not sure where that money is going to now?! Lamumba wouldn't be on more than $300-400k surely, and Garlett/Frost wouldn't command much either.

Hopefully we just front-end a delicious new contract for N. Jones to secure him for life.

This year too, surely/Shirley. If anything we might have a little less next year if we have to pay overs to keep Jones.

You mean, pay him what he is actually bloody worth for a change, instead of some disloyal ring in.

Edited by The Song Formerly Known As
  • Like 2

Next year's free agent class is already being supremely overrated.

Yes, you have the likes of Dangerfield, Hawkins, Cotchin and Walker at the top... Let's be honest though, even IF they choose to leave their respective clubs (Danger the only one who I think will contemplate leaving), would they really want to come to us?

After that small group at the top, you're left with NQR's or 30+ players. I wouldn't be holding out too much hope.

Forget FA, mate. Boyd's opened up a pandora's box. It has wide-reaching implications for the competition at large.

Really disappointed that the club hasn't managed to snare a quality midfielder this trade period. It means we're one injury away to Jones/Vince/Tyson and our midfield will be shot.

Those three are by far our best mids, how Cross will hold up is anyone's guess and now there won't be a resurgent Trengove to build some depth. This means we are either relying on Viney, Salem and Toumpas to significantly step up in 2015 or continue to rely on the likes of Matt Jones, Bail etc which will result in a season similiar to 2014.

Lamumba and Garlett may help with breaking the lines but we desperately needed another ready made midfielder to allow the younger kids time to develop. As it stands I'm feeling really gloomy thinking about next year when usually this is the time of year I convince myself that we're on the way up.

As it stands we have absolutely no midfield depth. If there's no movement tomorrow, it's going to be another long year. We can't keep expecting these young draftees to come in and tear it up. It's very rare, particularly in sides that are anchored to the bottom of the table.

Edited by AdamFarr
  • Like 1

Imagine if Dangerfield, being the legend that he is, told us to keep picks 2 and 3 and draft some top line talent for the team and that he'd come over next year. We get a mid to help him out plus an extra tall and off we go!

Now that all these rumours failed to come true and the riddles are over I'm going to live in that fantasy land and hope it's the grand plan.

• Like 3

Wow what a tough audience, lumumba, Garlett, stretch and frost (if he comes) are all good upgrades in areas that we were down in.

Not one of them will influence our wretched midfield next year. I can understand the displeasure.

• Like 2

Imagine if Dangerfield, being the legend that he is, told us to keep picks 2 and 3 and draft some top line talent for the team and that he'd come over next year. We get a mid to help him out plus an extra tall and off we go!

Now that all these rumours failed to come true and the riddles are over I'm going to live in that fantasy land and hope it's the grand plan.

I'm gonna live that fantasy too.

*sighs and unzips pants*

Forget FA, mate. Boyd's opened up a pandora's box. It has wide-reaching repercussions.

As it stands we have absolutely no midfield depth. If there's no movement tomorrow, it's going to be another long year. We can't keep expecting these young draftees to come in and tear it up. It's very rare, particularly in sides that are anchored to the bottom of the table.

Boyd's box can be slammed shut by elongating first round draft contracts from 2 years to 4. No more feigning home sickness then. If you literally can't survive without mum then work a trade before you even start your career or after 1 year. Good luck holding on for 4.

I'm going to be hopeful on Lumumba, Watts, Toumpas, Michie. It's not ideal. But there's a chance of improving that group. So much rides on going from having 5 decent midfielders to getting to 8 or so.

I take hope from Richmond going from last to 8th in half a year simply by getting Maric fit and putting Miles in the midfield. Just a small change can flip a team from hopeless to reasonable.

Not one of them will influence our wretched midfield next year. I can understand the displeasure.

I think Lumumba will. Surely his days of half back flank are over with his disposal and decision making. But he can take Matt Jones' wing pretty easily and run up and down it at a high cruising speed all day long. Keep being an outlet option and even if he turns it over if he bombs it long more times than not it's an improvement on Matt Jones.

Worst comes to worst he's the defensive winger making sure we no longer get carved up by the likes of Gaff etc.

Awesome, the Dangerfield thread will be 300 pages by this time next year.

It could 1000 if you let us continue with fish puns.

• Like 2

I think Lumumba will. Surely his days of half back flank are over with his disposal and decision making. But he can take Matt Jones' wing pretty easily and run up and down it at a high cruising speed all day long. Keep being an outlet option and even if he turns it over if he bombs it long more times than not it's an improvement on Matt Jones.

Worst comes to worst he's the defensive winger making sure we no longer get carved up by the likes of Gaff etc.

Surely, Lumumba will play off the back flank. We have such poor disposers of it at the back that we need a get out of jail plan and that will surely come in the form of a running by/line breaking Lumumba. But I agree to an extent. I think he'll be able to help out the midfield, but it's hardly much, is it?

Surely, Lumumba will play off the back flank. We have such poor disposers of it at the back that we need a get out of jail plan and that will surely come in the form of a running by/line breaking Lumumba. But I agree to an extent. I think he'll be able to help out the midfield, but it's hardly much, is it?

He will help out the midfield, he'll kick over it. Simple. Done

• Like 4

As I've said before, why the hell would he come to us next year?

We've lost the only great advantage we had in those top picks and he'll end up at either Hawthorn or Geelong - they'll have no trouble rustling up some money for him.

We missed the boat.

probably have early picks again next year

Is it? Or is it just leaving Mahoney, Viney and Taylor to do their jobs? I doubt Roos would have pressed the 'reject' button when he saw his phone ring.

I'm not putting forth an opinion either way - just presenting the flipside to your argument.

Exactly, it is what they are paid to do. A good telkephone, tablet, i-phone whatever puts you in the room!

The rumour about Dangerfield as you can read in Josh Mahoneys interview was actually fact! We went hard but didn't get him. Back to the drawing board.

Who says we didn't tempt the player?

Perhaps you are suggesting that he is deeply religious "lead me not into temptation but deliver me from evil..."

Dont know what this obsession with Petracca is. Kid struggles to run out a game, he couldnt even finish the 3k at the combine without hurting his angle running on flat ground.

Jake Lever is where its at, him and Brayshaw go hand in hand much better. Rated pick 1 prior to his injury I hope we pull the pin and take him. I wouldnt be surprised if we passed on Petracca for Lever.

And if we do pass on Petracca, and he turns out to be an instant success it will at least give the Wines >> Jimmy T lobby some further reasons for self adulation.

Lots of people talking about what Roos apparently said, below is what he actually said. It's a bit different to some of the claims being thrown around here - no mention of mids for example.

Summed up in: "it’s going to be mixture of hopefully experienced players again and young kids." and .... "I’d like to bring in a couple more experienced players"

"“My mandate is to make the club better and improve our list and we did that last year and we need to do it again in the off-season.”

“I think a lot of it is getting through the trade week and just seeing what you end up in the trade week,” he said.

“I don’t think we want to end up bringing in another seven or eight young kids – the Melbourne fans have seen that. We’d like to get some real high quality kids like we did last year.

“We felt we did really well going into the draft last year and did really well in trade week, so I think it’s going to be mixture of hopefully experienced players again and young kids.

“It’s hard to say absolutely until we get through trade week, in terms of numbers, but I think there will be a significant change to the list.”

But Roos said the potential to recruit players with AFL experience again – a la Daniel Cross, Bernie Vince and Dom Tyson last year – was a priority.

“I think so. I think Melbourne fans and maybe St Kilda fans can talk about a couple of years rebuilding because they’ve been in a couple of grand finals and my responsibility is to clean up the six or seven years [at Melbourne],” he said.

“I don’t think Melbourne fans are going to cop rebuilding again – even though they know where we’re at.

“I’d like to bring in a couple more experienced players and add to our squad and hopefully jump up the win/loss column – no question about that.”

“My view is that all of your players are tradable and all of your picks are tradable. Last year, we did very, very well out of it with Dom and Christian,” he said

Exactly, and all the BS talked on here about Roos this and that...combined with some posts that were less than accurate quoting sources who may or may not have been legit has made for expectations that were at best unrealistic and more often than not hysterical.

It has been embarrassing to have people fall hook line and sinker for some of the rubbish posted on this forum but even worse to have it turn up in the media pushed by fans that were convinced of it's truth.