Brad Sewell

Whispering_Jack

Brad has been denied a new contract with the Hawks. A 30 year old inside mid with a wealth of knowledge and follow me playing style.

Would he impede game time for new our young brigade including our possible draft picks Brayshaw and Petracca?

Or be a great pick-up for 2-3 years?

Not sure on his body and desire to continue but if sound its a yes for me.

• Like 1

Brad has been denied a new contract with the Hawks. A 30 year old inside mid with a wealth of knowledge and follow me playing style.

Would he impede game time for new our young brigade including our possible draft picks Brayshaw and Petracca?

Or be a great pick-up for 2-3 years?

Not sure on his body and desire to continue but if sound its a yes for me.

Who cares if he impedes game time for young mids, if they want to get a game then they will need to earn it. Sewell sits comfortably in our 22 and would make our young players earn their spots whilst also making us a better team. Would love to have him at Melbourne.
  • Like 4

would love to have him, we are in danger along with the weaker clubs of becoming a "farm" team… nurturing talent and when they get to maturity they are cherry picked by the 'BIG" clubs in the free agency raut!!!…..sick of them winning everything while we wallow in foot of the ladder

I am doing well.

On the 21st September I said on here not to go after him. Today on another thread I said to go after him.

He was an inch away from playing for the Premier in the GF, He is a Premiership player and like Cross a good trainer and hard at the ball player.

I think for 2 years he could be valuable to us helping out our young mids.

Even if we do get Petracca and Brayshaw they would benefit from having him in their club.

I suppose it depends on cost. In the PSD he would be free.

• Like 5

I'd go for him on a one year deal. I think he could be a decent pick up similar to Cross last year.

Yeah, I'd be proffering a one year contract with a trigger for a second year based on lack of injury and potentially games played.
  • Like 3

He has had multiple soft tissue injuries this year.

Good in and under but not great disposal, tends to just bomb it forward

Lost a step maybe 2, who knows if he slows up even more over the off-season
I'm happy with Crossy but can't have too many of the same type in the team, I think we should pass on him

Cross was and is in great physical shape

Pretty sure Sewells body is shot, or his hammy anyway

I agree to an extent, HH. That's why it'd be important to have a trigger for a 2nd year. I can't see it being a problem if we took him for a year. Not much to lose, IMO.

I am doing well.

On the 21st September I said on here not to go after him. Today on another thread I said to go after him.

He was an inch away from playing for the Premier in the GF, He is a Premiership player and like Cross a good trainer and hard at the ball player.

Even if we do get Petracca and Brayshaw they would benefit from having him in their club.

its about setting new standards for the MFC. about setting higher bench marks firstly for hardness at contested ball, at effort, at physical play, attitudes, & about desire.

we have been far to Cosy for a long long time, even making finals on talent alone, & then having our backsides wiped by others in finals.

We have to get harder, tougher, rougher, & better, as a Club...

• Like 2

If it wasn't 4 Ferguson he would've been a Dee years ago - 2 late now.

don't worry, he alone wouldn't have changed our culture for the better; more likely we would have smoothed him off & he would have not been the player he has since become.

it takes a team of Off field leaders, & a handful of strong on-field leaders, to start to change a footy clubs culture. & it will take number of years to entrench that new culture into the fibres of the club.

If his body will allow him to give us anything -- and I mean anything at all -- then I'd snap him up in a heartbeat.

When he was at his best, Sewell was a better player than any midfielder we've had in the last 25 years. Todd Viney and Nathan Jones probably go close (and if Jonesy continues to improve he might close the gap), but that's it. If you disagree with that assessment, then frankly, you've been watching footy through red'n'blue coloured glasses. For a couple of years he was nearly the equal of Hodge and Mitchell, and we haven't had a guy approaching that level for (almost) as long as I've been alive.

Yes, of course Sewell's best is behind him, but if you don't want our young mids to have a chance to watch him up close and learn from him, you're mad.

• Like 1

I am doing well.

I'm the same 'Redleg', pretty sure I was in the no camp somewhere but on reflection and looking at our list at 30 he would bring some quality experience and leadership even if some of the time was at Casey. He would be good to have around the club.

Really not sure on Sewell, ticks all the boxes, his body is pretty banged up but he is a clearance machine. He is not as physically sound as Cross but on the flipside he is in better condition than O'Keefe.

I'll trust the FD and medical department to make the right call on the state of his body, but would not be against giving him a 1 year deal with the option of a 2nd dependent upon his body and performance.

I'm a big fan of Sewell. He's up there with Bob Murphy, Luke Hodge and Lenny Hayes as my most respected opposition players. And whilst the temptation is high to get such a quality individual into the club, I wouldn't do it. If Trengove is going to return to the seniors and Cross plays another reasonably full year and Kent, Toumpas and Salem are given opportunities to grow into reliable senior footballers with midfield time, I just can't see a place for another one paced player like Sewell. I'd be hoping for another established key position player (Frost and Clarke would be my preferences) and another young promising midfielder (like Tyson) with a couple of pre-seasons already under his belt. I like that mix added to one remaining high pick (2 or 3) used on the best available mid (Petracca or Brayshaw) as well as Stretch and the other draftees. I think Jones, Cross and Vince give us enough midfield experience.

• Like 1

Series of soft tissue injuries 2014, now moves with the speed of a glacier.

Been a great player for Hawthorn but I reckon he might be cooked.