• IMPORTANT: PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Posting unsubstantiated rumours on this website is strictly forbidden.

Demonland has made the difficult decision to not permit this platform to be used to discuss & debate the off-field issues relating to the Melbourne Football Club including matters currently being litigated between the Club & former Board members, board elections, the issue of illicit drugs in footy, the culture at the club & the personal issues & allegations against some of our players & officials ...

We do not take these issues & this decision lightly & of course we believe that these serious matters affecting the club we love & are so passionate about are worthy of discussion & debate & I wish we could provide a place where these matters can be discussed in a civil & respectful manner.

However these discussions unfortunately invariably devolve into areas that may be defamatory, libelous, spread unsubstantiated rumours & can effect the mental health of those involved. Even discussion & debate of known facts or media reports can lead to finger pointing, blame & personal attacks.

The repercussion is that these discussions can open this website, it’s owners & it’s users to legal action & may result in this website being forced to shutdown.

Our moderating team are all volunteers & cannot moderate the forum 24/7 & as a consequence problematic content that contravenes our rules & standards may go unnoticed for some time before it can be removed.

We reserve the right to delete posts that offend against our above policy & indeed, to ban posters who are repeat offenders or who breach our code of conduct.

WE HAVE BUILT A FANTASTIC ONLINE COMMUNITY AT DEMONLAND OVER THE PAST 23 YEARS & WE WOULD LIKE TO CONTINUE TO BE ABLE TO DISCUSS THE CLUB WE LOVE & ARE SO PASSIONATE ABOUT.

Thank you for your continued support & understanding. Go Dees.

2014 Player Review - # 3 Christian Salem

Demonland

The highlight of Salem's low key debut season was the winning goal he kicked in the Round 13 game against Essendon. Salem showed that he has the skills and endeavour to enjoy a long and successful AFL career.

Games MFC 2014 12 Career Total 12

Goals MFC 2014 6

Career Total 6

Games CSFC 2014 6

Goals CSFC 2014 6

Keith "Bluey" Truscott Memorial Trophy 27 votes

Sorry the jury still has to be out on Salem as a number 8 pick. He has skills and yes I like his willingness to back into a pack and take a hit but he had several games where he hardly had a touch and lacks physical presence. I hope for the best outcome but what I do want to point out is that I am not yet convinced that our recruitment team can spot the best young talent yet. Many posters are saying they have confidence now that MFC will get the early picks right. I am still to be convinced.

NB I am not including Tyson in this as we had some chance to gauge Dom's ability in seniors at GWS for several seasons. The Tyson pick fits in with Roosey's strategy of trading picks for proven talent.

• Like 3

Yeah Bonza.

Gun.

First and foremost, CS is an all-round real footballer - not player we have drafted simply because he has a skill-set that fills a hole on our list. I like him a lot! None of his skills are elite (although they might develop to that level) but he does most things well. He has a touch of attitude, a bit of class, and shows a willingness to stand up for himself. For a kid in his debut season, coming off a limited and illness affected start, he was a real positive and earns 8 out of 10 from me (admittedly based heavily on that horrible word 'potential'). The Tyson / Salem deal is looking a real winner in my eyes. Two high class mids for one is exactly what the MFC needed.

• Like 2

First year, incomplete preseason.

He showed glimpses of absolute class, especially a couple of memorable mature moments at Alice Springs (oh, so long ago it seems).

I am really looking forward to seeing him with greater fitness and endurance following a hard preseason.

IMVHO one of the brightest lights at MFC that I have seen for many a long year.

• Like 2

I'll go early and say he will be a jet.

Big call given our MFC history! I hope you are right though.

Jury out after one season?

Get. Out.

Already debated this a while ago.

But yes its still out for me. With our history of first rounders not being much chop and Salem playing one good game out of 12 I didn't really see much to be convinced why he was worthy of pick 9 especially seeing the likes of Lewis Taylor and Luke Dunstan have impressive years.

Not writing him off completely at all just didn't impress me like he has with other supporters. Simple.

Edited by dazzledavey36

Great user of the ball, very strong body in the contest, cool head under pressure, knows where the goals are.

His highlight package from this year would be amazing.

Low possession numbers is the least of our worries, he is a quality footballer and stats will increase with experience and improvement of the mfc.

Will be a gun

Will benefit from another preseason ( who won't lol)

Has the elements but needs the cohesion. It will come. Hes got something. A keeper

Does any player at Melbourne ever ever get a full preseason? It seems a precursor to every player analysis "If only he had a full preseason" must be a very small group that trains preseason at Melbourne.

He does a lot off the ball that goes unnoticed. Taps, knocks, body-on-body stuff that a lot of people miss. Doesn't win a lot of it but can develop in that area. Has the skills.

• Like 1

No preseason is more important than the one before your first year, surely. So from the glimpses we've seen, I'm hopeful.

He often didn't get the ball enough because he didn't have the fitness to get himself in to a useful position, I reckon he spent most of his time on the ground running effective beep tests as the ball went one way then spat back the other.

Looking forward to seeing him in action with a few more km's in his legs.

Performed as a young first year player is expected to. Alternated between Casey and the side and showed some glimpses.

Will be allowed to develop naturally and learn the game.

Edited by jabberwocky
  • Like 2

Really liked what I saw

Kicked some memorable goals including Sydney, Adelaide and essendon.

Didn't get much of it but I'll put that down to playing more of a forward role than a mid.

I also liked that he spent time in both the seniors and casey, whereas seasons gone by he would have been flogged in the seniors

First year, incomplete preseason.

He showed glimpses of absolute class, especially a couple of memorable mature moments at Alice Springs (oh, so long ago it seems).

I am really looking forward to seeing him with greater fitness and endurance following a hard preseason.

That's pretty much my thoughts on Salem